Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Signs point to Giants playing starters vs. Redskins

Boss_Hogg

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/226618/signs-point-to-giants-playing-starters-vs-redskins

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants can use their Week 17 matchup with the Washington Redskins as an opportunity to rest and heal some of its most valuable players. Or they can use it as a tune-up for the postseason.

This is the dilemma coach Ben McAdoo faces with the Giants locked into the NFC’s fifth playoff slot. Their playoff positioning doesn’t change win or lose on Sunday.

If McAdoo plans on resting players, he sure did a good job of keeping it under wraps when they returned to work on Tuesday. Starting left guard Justin Pugh said he didn’t even mention the playoffs until the team huddled following practice. The message even then was congratulations, be ascending going into the playoffs.

Expect those to be the buzzwords this week: “Be ascending going into the playoffs.”

---

Good, bring it!

The veterans from the super bowl runs, albeit not many left, I feel prospered off of the Giants needing to play through week 17 for something.  I think as a rookie head coach, he should start his starters.

In my opinion, it shouldn't matter.  The Redskins have to win, at home, over a division opponent who I still feel they are better than to get in.  

Best case scenario - they win and go 11-5 and don't improve their playoff seeding.  Maybe they get their offense in a little bit of a rhythm.

Worst case scenario - we win, OBJ is suspended for punching Norman after a pick six, Eli pulls something, and Jenkins pulls a hammy. 

Choose wisely.

I want the Stadium to do a F-Mara wave when we beat the snot out of em. For me, this is a grudge match, give no quarter. I want to hurt Mara at each and every opportunity. THIS IS THE ULTIMATE REVENGE..BEAT EM NOW..BEAT EM LATER AT HOME. JPP is out...put Norman on Beckam and Breeland on Shepard and Fuller on Cruz with some help and BRING THE HEAT ON ELI!

Eli will start, of course, to keep up the streak; however, I don't see them playing starters for significant amounts of time. I expect 2nd preseason game-type playing time for the elite guys. Possibly sub in guys like Dallas did the other night.

I don't think the Giants are planning on these guys still being in there late in the game. It makes perfect sense to play them for a quarter or a half to stay (or get) in rhythm. I don't think this is stupid or irresponsible for the Giants at all. Keep in mind, they played last Thursday so if a bunch of players sat out week 17, it would have been 2.5 weeks of inactivity before playing in a playoff game. 

I agree with a previous poster...the best thing we can do to take them out of this game (since they do have bigger fish to fry) is to get a couple hits on Eli early and punch them in the mouth. They shouldn't want to go toe to toe with a team fighting for its playoff life...at least not for 4 quarters. Hopefully when OBJ, Eli, etc. check out, we are within a score and have a puncher's chance of coming back. 

Perfect! Just Bring it NY. They should be careful that Norman doesn't cause OBJ to have another meltdown resulting in a suspension and if I were them I would NOT have OBJ returning kicks like they have recently. It would be a shame if he forget to call a "fair catch" with a young Deshazor Everett coming his way.

I would imagine that they intend to play the starters first half, and a drive or two into the second. They may pull a few out earlier if Manning takes a few hits or Josh gets inside Beckham's head.

I would be surprised if any first team vets are still playing in the fourth.   

1 hour ago, bradboyd80 said:

Good. I hope we put some big hits on Eli to make them rethink that idea. 

I think all it would take is for a couple guys to come up lame in the first half before McAdoo taps out and says "F this".  

34 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Reed can't hurt the shoulder worse....why can't he take a pain killing injection?    why hasn't he the past few weeks?

That always seems like a sketchy diagnosis to me. I'm not a doctor, but I would think you can always hurt something worse.  Especially if it's not fully healed.  

10 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I agree with a previous poster...the best thing we can do to take them out of this game (since they do have bigger fish to fry) is to get a couple hits on Eli early and punch them in the mouth. They shouldn't want to go toe to toe with a team fighting for its playoff life...at least not for 4 quarters. Hopefully when OBJ, Eli, etc. check out, we are within a score and have a puncher's chance of coming back. 

Punching good teams in the mouth isn't really our forte though.

More likely, we'll be white knuckling it in the first half.

Gruden will defer like a dope and Eli will march 'em down the field for 6 right outta the gate.  Then we'll outscore them 24-10 the rest of the game.  That's how I see this going.

Well, we do it we in we don't we out so we can't blame anybody or one person on this team for our position.  

Even a win, I don't see us there yet to truly compete.  The D is just not there yet.  However ya never know and thats why they play the game.  

We will see if they have the heart or not ...... I hope so been a fan since the days of Larry Brown.    (most young pups wont even know who that was)  

31 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Punching good teams in the mouth on the road isn't really our forte though.

More likely, we'll be white knuckling it in the first half.

Gruden will defer like a dope and Eli will march 'em down the field for 6 right outta the gate.  Then we'll outscore them 24-10 the rest of the game.  That's how I see this going.

That would work for me...a win is a win! We are at home too, but I'm not sure that's mattered much this year. 

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Reed can't hurt the shoulder worse....why can't he take a pain killing injection?    why hasn't he the past few weeks?

Because there's more to it then that. There's also range of motion. And being able to block. Defensive coordinaters already know Reed ain't the best blocker out there. Now he'd basically been blocking with one arm, so you have your guys put a few hits on his bad shoulder to take him out. He'd only been used as a decoy since the injury. Against Philly he had one target for one catch. The best thing to do is sit him & let him get healthy. The Offense has already shown it can still go without him in. 

Archived