Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS SIGN CB JOSH NORMAN

TK

For Immediate Release

April 22, 2016

REDSKINS SIGN CB JOSH NORMAN

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent cornerback Josh Norman. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Norman (6-0, 195) is entering his fifth NFL season after originally entering the NFL as a fifth-round pick of the Carolina Panthers (143rd overall) in the 2012 NFL Draft. For his career, he has appeared in 53 regular season games with 38 starts, recording 178 tackles (136 solo), 36 passes defensed, seven interceptions (two returned for touchdowns), four forced fumbles and three fumbles recovered. He has also started all five career postseason contests in which he has appeared, including a start in Super Bowl 50 last February.

Last season, Norman started all 16 regular season games and all three postseason games for the Panthers, recording career highs in interceptions (four), forced fumbles (three) and fumbles recovered (two) in addition to tying for the league lead in interceptions returned for touchdowns (two). His highly decorated 2015 campaign resulted in a myriad of honors, including All-Pro selections from both the Associated Press and Pro Football Writers Association in addition to sharing PFWA Co-Most Improved Player of the Year honors with Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Norman played collegiately at Coastal Carolina, appearing in 46 games with 39 starts for the Chanticleers. The two-time All-American and three-time All-Big South Conference honoree finished his career first in conference and school history with 48 passes defensed and second with 13 interceptions.

Norman, 28, attended Greenwood (S.C.) H.S., where he earned All-State honors on defense. He was born Dec. 15, 1987.

From Wikipedia -

"Through the first 12 weeks of the NFL season, the passer rating when throwing at Josh Norman was worse than just throwing it into the turf every play .... "

"For the season, opposing quarterbacks had a passer rating of 54.0 when throwing at Norman, the lowest rating allowed by all NFL corners....."

Okeedokee, then. :)

Very good corner and a very good scheme fit. He played mainly cover 3 and 2 with the Panthers and excels in that role playing off, reading routes and the QB and breaking on the ball. Good news is thats exactly what we ask our corners to do as well.

He's got an attitude as well - watching him go against Dez and Beckham twice a year will be box office.

He will be 29 later this year but this deal is essentially a 3 year deal and he should have 3 good years in the locker. Its a lot of money but with the way the cap is rising it should not stop us signing our own key free agents like Reed coming up next year.

This makes us a better team right away and also gives us room to address other priority areas like D'Line and Safety in the draft.

Know who else likes the signing? The league's financial officers and the media heads. More storylines than normal and great match-ups resulting. This will be seen as likely to make the division (still regarded as so-so by most) more interesting to more fans/viewers who don't have a team in the division.

Know who else likes the signing? The league's financial officers and the media heads. More storylines than normal and great match-ups resulting. This will be seen as likely to make the division (still regarded as so-so by most) more interesting to more fans/viewers who don't have a team in the division.

Out of likes, yet again.  The NFL absolutely LOVES this financially.  They are doing cartwheels right now, as am I. Whether good or not, the NFC East is the NFL's cash cow, and everybody knows it.  Hail

We play Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, and Odell Beckham the first three weeks of the season.

For that kind of money he better hold all three to below 75 yards each in single coverage.

Here's the thing - he will not be in single coverage in the sense of man coverage following the number one all over the formation. He will spend a lot more time in off zone coverage on one side of the formation. Thats why the Panthers decided he was not worth what he was asking - they believe in the scheme and their pass rush.

He's good, very good at what he does. He might well take away one side of the field and allow us to roll safety help to the other side or double TE or slot receivers over the top, he certainly makes us better. But we are paying a lot for a top notch zone corner.

Thank you so much Mac. You just made one 34 year old ass 'Skins fan's weekend and then some. 

Hail. 

I'm stoked about this signing, too.

But did you have to lie about your age again?

If we can get a safety in the draft... with this pass rush, this is going to be a fun defense to watch.

We play Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, and Odell Beckham the first three weeks of the season.

For that kind of money he better hold all three to below 75 yards each in single coverage.

With the new rules I'm pretty he'll try to get OBJ flagged twice for unsportmanlike conduct so he get automatically ejected.

I'm stoked about this signing, too.

But did you have to lie about your age again?

If we can get a safety in the draft... with this pass rush, this is going to be a fun defense to watch.

LMAO. *Takes foot out of mouth. 

I'm THAT stoked I made a freudian slip. HONEST! 

I meant to say '34 year 'Skins fan.' (Correction made.). 

*Real age preserved to protect family dignity ..... LEAVE IT YOU on any 'dignity' I never had to start with!  :angry:.

Hail. 

Archived