Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS SIGN CB JOSH NORMAN

TK

I didn't like the idea of a big free agent splash at first. To me this was well thought out and not just a quick knee jerk reaction. We didn't even swing at anyone in free agency. Then we saw something of value and went for it after everyone else had already spent their cash on lesser players. Just like the year we got Jackson. That being said I still wasn't sure about the cash. Then I remembered we were burnt by Miles Austin and Riley cooper on long balls. Not to mention our secondary is gonna get Mike Evans in the hall of fame. I am totally content and happy with adding Norman. We desperately needed a force back there.

I still maintain that article was total BS and for you skeptics here think about it this way.  Sure he can be a total bust, but what exactly are the negatives here?

He is 28 years old.  So?  he is a very young 28 because he has essentially played 3 years of football.

He is a product of the scheme.  So?  We play the same scheme as the Panthers and unlike the Panthers he will have Breeland on the other side who can play man to man on a 2nd opposing team receiver.  Norman can play zone on his side and even get FS help against the Dez and Odells type of WRs we will face. 

​Front 7 of the Panthers made the difference.  That needs to be seen how much better they are from ours this year with Kerrigan 100% healthy, Galette, Smith and a stud rookie I am sure we are going to draft.\

He has only been elite for a year.  Wrong he had a great 2014 year it was just that the Panthers didn't make that much noise for him to be noticed.  

​He is costing us a ton of money.  yes you need to pay top CBs top dollar but in a way he is costing us less than he would have if he was FA at the start of the FA market.  BTW would any Panther, Giant, Eagle, Dallas etc fan have an issue if the Panthers gave him this exact deal?  Hell no, in fact I bet they would praise the Carolina front office for protecting their cap in year 4 and 5 of this deal.

Face it guys this freaking league hates the Redskins.  It because of our name, and owner, they hate us and it doesn't matter what we do they will find negative **** to say against us.

​I 

thi

Here's the thing - he will not be in single coverage in the sense of man coverage following the number one all over the formation. He will spend a lot more time in off zone coverage on one side of the formation. Thats why the Panthers decided he was not worth what he was asking - they believe in the scheme and their pass rush.

He's good, very good at what he does. He might well take away one side of the field and allow us to roll safety help to the other side or double TE or slot receivers over the top, he certainly makes us better. But we are paying a lot for a top notch zone corner.

spot on.  josh won't be following wideouts around the field.  he is very good at what he does, but nobody that has watched him play is going to mistake him for a shutdown, man-to-man corner.  which is what it looks like he was paid to be.  

again, he is very good, but i would think you can probably find someone of similar value (not the same, but not that far off either) in that system for 1/3 the cost, if not more.  now a revis in his prime type corner is a totally different animal altogether.  you pretty much plug him into any system and know that his skill-set is going to translate very well.  

Norman doing a press conference on NFL network right now, Live.

Uh, he sounds amazing.  Just sounds genuine and like someone I really want on this team.  Not that faux humbleness that comes with eight digits, but a real competitor who wants to be a good football player.  I think we hit something here.

If one of the Giants/Redskins games can be flexed, it will.  Which sucks considering the Giants have five prime time games already and I hate night games.  Is five still the max?  If it is, not flexing either one of these games.

Better it stay a daytime game for Beckham.

That way, when Norman kicks his butt, and holds him to 0 TD catches, Beckman can claim the sun was in his eyes. :)

If one of the Giants/Redskins games can be flexed, it will.  Which sucks considering the Giants have five prime time games already and I hate night games.  Is five still the max?  If it is, not flexing either one of these games.

I think both teams are maxed out on prime time games, but I would think at least the first Redskins/Giants games will be late afternoon kickoff and the national game that week.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/redskinsblog/chris-baker-interrupts-press-conference-wants-know-about-teams-financials?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

(great video at link)

Redskins defensive lineman Chris "Swaggy" Baker is not one to shy away from the spotlight.

In fact, he is one to seek it out even if it is pointed at someone else. More often than not, the end result is hilarious.

On Monday morning, Redskins general manager Scot McCloughhan addressed the media for the first time since signing former Carolina Panthers cornerback Josh Norman to a lucrative five-year deal on Friday afternoon. 

Just as McCloughhan was getting ready to exit the podium, he was given one final question.

B)  :)

I think both teams are maxed out on prime time games, but I would think at least the first Redskins/Giants games will be late afternoon kickoff and the national game that week.

First skins Giants game is week 3, and flexing doesn't start until week 5. And 2nd skins Giants game is week 17, a 1 PM game. That one could change to 4:30 I guess...I don't see it happening though.

Welcome aboard, pantheryou.  

Hope to see you posting in the Around The NFL forum in time to come.  Just saying because it's nice for some of us to see perspectives and insight from fans from other divisions about what goes on in their neck of the woods.

Stop by and talk NFC South when it suits!  

Although, on that note I gotta say I don't see much hope  for Tampa, Nawlins or Atlanta taking your division from you next year, even though you lost your best player to us!

:P 

velocet

again, he is very good, but i would think you can probably find someone of similar value (not the same, but not that far off either) in that system for 1/3 the cost, if not more.  now a revis in his prime type corner is a totally different animal altogether.  you pretty much plug him into any system and know that his skill-set is going to translate very well.  

Not sure that I buy that you can find someone of similar value for a third of the price if the Panthers thought he was good enough to franchise in the first place. Clearly, they thought he was at least worthy of the franchise tag... though clearly on the edge of being worth it.

What we are not really going to do is change the system he plays in the eagles did it with Nmandi and failed Revis went to Tampa and failed to live up to expectations ...

The reason hall is a redskin and not a raider is because they bought him expecting him to fit their system and he was totally miscast ...

Very few players can do it all at an elite level Those who are perceived as great are generally a great match for the team and the system they are in ... Some can do it all and they are the plug and play types ... Journeymen who fans don't appreciate but have long NFL careers ...

You know, what's interesting about this whole discussion re: Norman on "one side in zone coverage versus man-on-man shut down" is that, when it comes to Dez Bryant and Odell, he actually seemed to be manning up on them and going to whatever side they were on. Now, I don't think he was playing much press-man and was still mainly in zone (or at least off) coverage, but it does seem like he was following them around (so long as they didn't line up in the slot, I believe). 

I'm seeing a lot of the research coming out on his matchups with them showing that he did do it. He was often lined up with them even if it was on the other side he normally lines up on (I believe the right side of the D). 

I don't doubt that he was mainly a one-side zone corner (which for us is great anyway because that's mostly what we run), but I'm interested in knowing if those match-ups were just the anomalies (which would also be an incredible blessing considering how he's in the NFC East now and has shown he can do it against those specific guys at an extremely high level) or did he do it more often than we think? 

So my questions are, first and foremost, is it true that all the gifs and talk about his matchups with Dez and Odell were really what they seem to indicate - that he was pretty much manning them up/following them around no matter which side they lined up on? 

And, if that's true, what was he doing against other teams with elite WRs, and how about when he went against us? Was it something to the effect where, if the Panthers weren't particularly scared of one guy on the opposing offense, they had him play his standard one-side and, if they felt there was someone needed to be locked down, they had him follow that guy around?  

Would love someone to analyze this. Maybe I will if I have the time.  

Would love someone to analyze this. Maybe I will if I have the time.  

Here's the analysis.  

Norman is capable of manning up anyone at anytime, and has done so.  Panthers fans are butt hurt, so they are convincing themselves he wasn't very good and was just an old/overrated/zone corner that they can find three of in the mid rounds of the upcoming draft.  

Skins fans read biased/butt hurt comments from Panthers fans, believe it, and arrive at the 'same old Snyder/Skins/Vinnny' point of view.  

Here's the analysis.  

Norman is capable of manning up anyone at anytime, and has done so.  Panthers fans are butt hurt, so they are convincing themselves he wasn't very good and was just an old/overrated/zone corner that they can find three of in the mid rounds of the upcoming draft.  

Skins fans read biased/butt hurt comments from Panthers fans, believe it, and arrive at the 'same old Snyder/Skins/Vinnny' point of view.  

lol, I wouldn't throw in someone like MartinC into that group there. He knows what he's talking about. 

The majority of plays I've seen from Norman seem like the initial assessment is correct, that he's more often lined up on one side playing zone coverage. 

I'm just pointing out that, from what I've watched, he seemed to be following Dez and Odell on either side. I know that one of the first catches Odell made during that game (Norman was pretty much owning him for 3 straight quarters, after that initial deep ball he dropped) came when he was in the slot and Norman did not line up against him there. Other than that, it seemed like he was following him around, for instance. 

This youtube video of the entire matchup between Norman and Odell shows he was pretty much following him around: 

On a side note, after watching that, it's just such utter bs how much Odell got away with. My God. If you don't believe in conspiracies at all, that's a tough one to rationalize. I don't understand how he doesn't get ejected from that game after that direct shot to Norman's chin when he wasn't looking late in the game (this, after he constantly initiated crap throughout the entire game). Amazing.

Oh, and that TD he had at the end that everyone points to as some slight against Norman? If that kind of route is what it takes to beat Norman, I'm happy. That was like the most work you can possibly do on a route and the ball was still contested. That was no ordinary double move.  

Ok, here's another one showing Hopkins and Norman: 

This one you see him line up against Hopkins on either side, right or left, and towards the 6:00 mark he even lines up against him in the slot (doesn't do well, allows a catch for 9 yards, lol). 

Interestingly, he's playing a lot of press on Hopkins here. 

Considering what Hopkins was doing all year last season, Norman dominated this matchup and did it from different sides and, I believe, mostly playing press.  

Again, without seeing the entire game and knowing where Norman lined up on every snap, it's hard to judge just how much he was following Hopkins around. But, on the surface, it seems a considerable amount of time. 

Alrighty, one more for fun. Mike Evans versus Norman: 

lol, the refs eject Evans at the end of this. Makes you sick that he got ejected for doing 1000 times less than Odell. But you see Norman frustrates the crap out of players.

I think the one consistent thing I'm seeing here (and that's just from these highlights of specific match-ups, remember), is that Norman will go to either side and line up against an opponent's best receiver. So he doesn't just stay on one side. However, he doesn't always follow them into the slot but, when he does (and he certainly does do it), you can see that the quicker inside routes (slants, quick ins, etc...) cause him trouble. Nothing major, though, he's often immediately making the tackle.   

So those stat lines against elite receivers that look amazing on the surface seem to be for real in that he's following them around quite a bit. It's impressive. 

Archived