Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kudos to Joe Barry

endotoothdoc

To be honest, I hated the Barry hire. While I am optimistic right now, I am still not convinced. 2 games against average offenses. Is he better than he was in 2008? Yes, was he the right man for the job, well, lets wait and see. If I am wrong, and I hope I am, i will publicly praise the man and eat my words.

This team will have good games and bad. I will wait and see the total body of  work before I make any decisions on him

So far so good though.

On a side note, this team needs to sign Pot Roast to a longer deal. His impact at NT is obvious.

I need to eat crow. I was in full on panic mode that we would run Bend for the next several years, and lose countless games 17-14.  After hearing we blitzed the 2nd fewest of any team in 4 years, it had me watching. And those blitzes seem to be only 5. But today I saw a lot more blitzing, and clearly need to give credit it where its due.

Scot's pickups on the DL, along with Hatcher, have been bringing pressure rushing just 4 or 5. This is something new to us. Barry gets credit by seeing it and not bringing the house when he does not need to. 

Its a small sample size but we couldn't expect much better than these 2 games. 

They've also had the gift of an offense that has controlled the clock for consecutive weeks. But they have gotten the job in back to back weeks when they were on the field and that's all you can ask.

This could go down as a very impressive hire going with Barry when he was known for being the d-coordinator on the 0-16 Lions team.

you know what helps too?

your offense getting first downs.

we're dominating time of possession and leading. even in the loss to miami we led for quite a bit.

you get to play different on defense, you get to call different plays as the coordinator, when your offense is the least be competent and your defense gets to take a rest...

The defense needs turnovers and sacks to truly take the next step. We don't really have either right now...

I swear I feel like we are always the last team in the league to get a pick. However, we did get the sack-fumble-recovery last week and 3 sacks total. Paua got credited with a sack when Foles dropped the ball and fell on it on the Ram's first possession today. The pressure was there too, forcing Foles to make a number of errant throws. Still, would have liked to see them get home more against a flat-footed QB and an O-line starting two rookies.

Since you're praising how the secondary has performed without Culliver and Breeland, what about the new secondary coach?...

Heck yeah, no doubt.  Fisher said in his press conference they were keeping everything in front of them.  Perry Fewell must be a big part of the change.  No over the top wide open plays so far that I can remember.  

So far Goldson > Clark by far.  Talent across the D on all three levels seems better, but that is what coaching can do too.  We've seen talent not play well here enough to know that.

Liked to see them fly after the ball even on incompletions and dead balls. I think TOs will come, notable difference. But hells yeah, the Rams didn't run more than 4 consecutive plays in 1st half. The D has been nothing less than GREAT in first 2 weeks

Dominant Defense. Please tell me when the last time we can say that about our Defense.

Before Shanahan came here and screwed it up. It boggles my mind how the D went from perennial top 10 units under Kurt Schottenheimer, Marvin Lewis, Gregg Williams, and Greg Blache to whatever Haslett was doing in his stint here.

Now, its only week 2, and its a long season, but yeah, the defense has been really good so far.  Its amazing how much easier it is on your offense when you dont have to put up 30 points.  If they can keep this up all year, Ill happily proclaim Joe Barry the second coming of Dick Lebeau

A big test for our secondary next week, a quick turn around as well, will be of course OBJ. Luckily for us, Breeland and Culliver will be out there. I think we got a serious shot, especially with Eli's amazing decision making.

Overall, I am thoroughly enjoying watching this defense fly around, MAKE open field tackles and just be more generally aware of what's happening on each play. 

Yeah, it may be against the Dolphins and Rams, but those teams got more on their other games plus it's games like these that the Redskins crap the bed.

Let's keep it going D, make sure Eli meet's the ground a bunch of times!

It's not just Joe Barry.

It's the talent that Scott brought in for him as well.

Haz was awfull but he also didn't have half the talent that Scott brought in here.

it's also Akey and Perry. New dline and secondary coaches to go with that talent. What a world of difference having all these guys makes.

One great thing about the Redskins dominating time of possession for the first two weeks is that the defense has played fewer snaps and may be overall fresher. That's not all on the O. This team isn't just keeping the score down and forcing field goals, but creating stops and forcing punts. 

It's a good start. Question is, what happens when OC's start to get enough game film to make a plan to take advantage of Barry's tendencies. Can he adjust to their adjustments?

Archived