Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kudos to Joe Barry

endotoothdoc

I am not going to pat Barry on the back too hard.

Sure, he only allowed 19 but that is the bend don't break, and we have seen the low points allowed with every run of the mill BDB DC here.   The only reason the score was close was we got the ever elusive turnovers, Ryan missed receivers consistently, and they missed their FGs.

I do give credit to our rush 4 getting pressure on Ryan possibly causing the errant throws/happy feet. But Jones was off, Hank was off, so they were limping even if Ryan was missing his targets. Yeah we were missing our DBs but I would rather have a healthy backup than a starter limping, and our backups did fine. OT Hank couldn't stand upright, and then came back lol.

Make no mistake though. They ran all over us (176) and dictated play. The BDB stops the bleeding but I think our defense is good, and doesn't need to be so conservative. Atlanta would have done more damage on the ground had they featured Freeman in the first half more. Eventually I felt like they were getting 9 yards a pop, a characteristic of the BDB. When you see that, it's usually trouble. The D gets gassed, TOP gets skewed, our offense goes cold (standing on the sideline) and in the end like clockwork, the BNB gave up the late long slow drive.

It's too predictable to stay with the BDB rush only 4 the ENTIRE game. That final drive, that 4th and 2, why not change it up, and bring the house? Or somewhere along that drive. If you get gashed for a big TD, we get the ball back with time to counter it.

We lost and our defense had a hand in the score. We had numerous chances to try to stop them late to win the game, and failed. Only by a 52 yard FG after all thought the game was lost, did we see OT.

On the last drive Barry was just playing not to lose.

Agree - I said on Twitter before that drive started that the temptation would be to play soft Cover 3 and rush 4 or 5. I thought with Jones being less than 100% and Ryan having a so so day at best our best shot of winning was to be agressive and send some extra rushers. We played not to lose and it hurt us.

Agree - I said on Twitter before that drive started that the temptation would be to play soft Cover 3 and rush 4 or 5. I thought with Jones being less than 100% and Ryan having a so so day at best our best shot of winning was to be agressive and send some extra rushers. We played not to lose and it hurt us.

I agree. Especially close to the end of the game, which costed us dearly with ATL's last TD before end of regulation.

I really hope Barry has more confidence in his players the next time we are in position to close out a game on defense like yesterday. We were doing a good job of collapsing the pocket and disrupting Ryan all game. That's a time you tell your defense to go out there to force a stop and WIN the game. He had an opportunity to close out a great game by giving his defense a killer instinct and chose the conservative route. Our D had done everything to earn his confidence in that situation and he missed the opportunity to elevate their standards. I really hope he learns from it because he has done a good job otherwise.

I really hope Barry has more confidence in his players the next time we are in position to close out a game on defense like yesterday. We were doing a good job of collapsing the pocket and disrupting Ryan all game. That's a time you tell your defense to go out there to force a stop and WIN the game. He had an opportunity to close out a great game by giving his defense a killer instinct and chose the conservative route. Our D had done everything to earn his confidence in that situation and he missed the opportunity to elevate their standards. I really hope he learns from it because he has done a good job otherwise.

You just said everything I was feeling yesterday and today.  I really hope that is the case - we did an outstanding job for 58 minutes and then Barry went all soft and prevent.  Ugh - Niners lost last night in the exact same situation.  All they had to do was cover Shane Vereen and they continued to let him run free in the middle of the field for huge chunks of yards. The same result occurred.  Giants walked it right down the field.  Next time, grow a pair and blitz the crap out of him.  Show some faith in your defense and step up.  We'll have another opportunity in a hard nosed game against the Jets this weekend.  Let's see if both Gruden and Barry learn to not be so conservative all the time.   

Barry had Ryan flustered all game long with the defense that he was playing.Why in the world would you go into a prevent defense is beyond me.I hope Barry learns from this mistake and next game keep going with what is working!!!!

Did they for certain play prevent? I ask because it (the last ATL drive) reminded me of the Giants game - quick hitters to neutralize the rush, finding the holes in our zone. I didn't notice the same coverage shell as in the Eagles game (to prevent deep throws and sideline completions), but that doesn't necessarily mean 1) that it didn't happen or 2) that we weren't in some form of prevent. Pains me to say it, but I thought it was just Atlanta (particularly Ryan) out executing us. Hopefully I'm wrong actually, because Barry just can stop calling for prevent, whereas solving execution problems (in clutch situations esp.) is likely much tougher.

Did they for certain play prevent? I ask because it (the last ATL drive) reminded me of the Giants game - quick hitters to neutralize the rush, finding the holes in our zone. I didn't notice the same coverage shell as in the Eagles game (to prevent deep throws and sideline completions), but that doesn't necessarily mean 1) that it didn't happen or 2) that we weren't in some form of prevent. Pains me to say it, but I thought it was just Atlanta (particularly Ryan) out executing us. Hopefully I'm wrong actually, because Barry just can stop calling for prevent, whereas solving execution problems (in clutch situations esp.) is likely much tougher.

I don't think we were playing soft, like some posters are saying. Our guys were completely gassed out. That's what happened.

well, I didn't see any extra rushers till they got right to the redzone, where I thought they did blitz once or twice and the distance between Skins and Falcons kind of suggested a soft zone, in that situation that seems like a prevent to me

I do have to say Barry and the Redskins were shown major disrespect on the two 4th downs, esp. the second. Who goes for 4th and 6 at the 40? What's worse is that each 4th down was successful. Every critical "stop them" play was a failure. Overall, I think the defense can hold its head high, but when push came to shove we fell... every single time against Atlanta.

I think fans are quick to pull out the prevent card, when in fact TV is not showing what the DBs are doing. But we loosely use that word to mean keeping everything in front, and largely not blitzing.  Maybe bring one extra guy once in a while. BFD.

I call it all the bend don't break, and think Barry ran the same defense the entire game.

No matter the situation, the D on the field for a long drive getting gashed, 4th and 6, one play needed for a win, he calls the same thing, over and over. Sure some games he will blitz a little bit more than others, but think of all the DCs in the league, he has to be blitzing the fewest times, the fewest players, or both.

We have gotten great push from our front 4 this year, which is a rarity. Without that consistent pressure, I think The Barry Bend would be a colossal failure.  And ironically, would force him to blitz more, and be less conservative.

Does any fan prefer a vanilla defense that never blitzes, like in the old days?  The game evolved to the point that defenses blitz a ton for a reason I presume, because it works.  I feel like we are stuck in 1970 sometimes.

I don't see any disrespect on going for it ob 4th and 6. It should have been stopped to show them how stupid they were. I don't blame them for trying, we're to blame for not making the play.

4th and 6 from the 40 is a slap in the face. It's either an insult to the defense or saying that they think the Redskins offense is completely impotent.

Agree that we're to blame for not stopping it. They insulted us by going for it and then kicked sand in our face afterwards. Twice.

It may be an innovative coach more than a sand kicker.

I for one like a coach that refuses to constantly watch his punter kick it out of the endzone - the gunners clueless unable to locate the ball - net 20. Special teams coaches are not even having their punters angling it. It's mind boggling to me.  When an OC knows exactly what defense is going to be run, its all the more reason to keep the teamers on the sidelines. Teamers are your worst players, right?

I would be very interested to see the numbers on what Barry is running. Cover 3 90% of the time? How far does he like to keep his corners off.  I am surprised we don't get more stats on this stuff. There are only 16 games a year with only 30 minutes of actual play. Hockey stats are phenomenal yet they play 82 games with 60+ minutes of actual play to track.

I do have to say Barry and the Redskins were shown major disrespect on the two 4th downs, esp. the second. Who goes for 4th and 6 at the 40? What's worse is that each 4th down was successful. Every critical "stop them" play was a failure. Overall, I think the defense can hold its head high, but when push came to shove we fell... every single time against Atlanta.

I think that's more of a byproduct of our offense not being able to do too much. 

Barry and the defense did enough to put this team in a position to win. 

• 2 weeks later...

Overall thoughts on yesterday? 

- We are still getting run on, for big plays, this is the third straight game, even if we have played x3 good backs we need to figure it out

- The D has fight in them, I thought the game was over as soon as Martin broke through

- The stop wasn't just huge to stop the TD but negative yards meant they had to kick it, would they have gone for it on 4th at the 1?

- Barry dallied up some nice plays but we gave up a lot, what is everyone else's overall thoughts.

- Breeland is a warrior 

Linebacker is definetly a weakness on this defense, something I did not see coming, honestly.  Having Gallete back will be great, you can tell teams have been attacking this weakness via stretch runs, which there's only so much you can do to cover for with mediocre linebacker play.

Halfway through the season, I like the Joe Barry hire.  I'm down.

Hard to judge overall with the amount of injuries, but most injuries have been to the secondary.  I could imagine, however, that some calls are made to protect the DB's while hurting the ability to stop the run.

But IMO, the scheming is much improved from years past.  He understands the 3-4 much better than Haz.  

I would agree that ROLB and ILB to pair with Robinson are needed.  

I am not sure what to make of yesterday. I feared we would sit back in a vanilla D and see if Winston can beat us. 

We did some, but also blitzed an awful lot, and we got absolutely destroyed in the first half. 

I had been clamoring for more blitzes, but they just weren't getting any pressure on him. And he made excellent throws and his receivers made excellent catches.... in the end, we won. And Barry kept right on blitzing. So, maybe it worked... in some strange way. Winston maybe knew he was going to get rocked eventually. Who knows.  

It was a Jekyll and Hyde day on defense, for sure. Lucky for us low energy lovie iced his own offense to close out the first half. 

Some things that should be noted are that Winston beat good coverage by throwing into tiny windows to receivers who had to then made difficult catches. Not much else we could've done. It's also noteworthy that, although we gave up a lot of yards, we only allowed 23 offensive points, which means we held up when we had to. It was certainly not a good defensive performance, but I think it was acceptable in the 2nd half, and some of the plays that were made were ones that you just have to take your hat off to your opponent.

Archived