Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kudos to Joe Barry

endotoothdoc

Some things that should be noted are that Winston beat good coverage by throwing into tiny windows to receivers who had to then made difficult catches. Not much else we could've done. It's also noteworthy that, although we gave up a lot of yards, we only allowed 23 offensive points, which means we held up when we had to. It was certainly not a good defensive performance, but I think it was acceptable in the 2nd half, and some of the plays that were made were ones that you just have to take your hat off to your opponent.

I'm watching the game again. I see a lot of wide open receivers and our run D getting gashed. Again.

What pieces are we missing in this D that can explain the horrible run coverage?

I know our Secondary is banged up (and wasn't all that great to begin with) but they have played better than expected.

Run D - not so much.

Ihenacho, Gallette. But yeah, even then there would probably still be problems. Also aren't Robinson and Riley playing hurt?

Watch the games after u watch them live, u can see that Riley and our secondary are problems against the run game. They do not fill properly, also both our middle linebackers are struggling to get off blocks. When u re-watch the games u see it a lot. Will Compton is much better right now.

I agree, wonder what game the original poster was watching. Too many wide open receivers and of course gapping holes for the runners to exploit

In the 2nd half there were multiple instances when our defenders were in good position but the ball was placed where only the receiver could get it. That's not to say that everything was hunky-dory, even in the 2nd half, when we only allowed 6 points. Part of that is our O staying on the field long enough to only allow TB to have 4 possessions in the 2nd half, one of which was with seconds left in the 4th.

I don't recall ever seeing it before, not even once ... but multiple times?  Y'all must have seen it too ... Bucs receivers so open that there wasn't a Redskins player in the TV picture screen from the overhead camera view when the reception was made ... happened ... happened again ... and again ... (and I'm not talking about that hideous 'prevent' defense at the end of the game when we played allowed them to drive 40 yards and get to our 40 with 12 seconds remaining ... not very comforting if effective)

Run defense?  Sadly an oxymoron when mentioned in conjunction with the Redskins recently at least ... the combination of players completely out of place ... (LB's? ... WTFO?!) ... giving ball carriers 3, 4, 5 or more yards before being touched ...  and "tackling" that is definitively not "tackling" where ball carrier after ball carrier ripped through not just the usual idiotic no-wrap "hits" but also attempted wrap-ups (i.e., attempted "tackles")

I'm not sure I would put this all on the DC ... I think there's still a very shallow talent pool suiting up for the Skins D this season ... but I don't know how he can avoid much of the blame even with career back-ups, known mediocre players and young players still in 'development' ... but some of this stuff is so absolutely basic it illicits reactions of simple sadness ... anger doesn't fit because its just so damn pitiful.

How exactly will Barry set up the scheme to cover Gronk?  We don't have the personnel ... period.  Gronk will be open every play.  I don't beleive we could cover him even with a complete sell-out leaving other receivers uncovered.  ... anyone?  how?

What pieces are we missing in this D that can explain the horrible run coverage?

I know our Secondary is banged up (and wasn't all that great to begin with) but they have played better than expected.

Run D - not so much.

SIMPLE my friend ... quality linebackers ...

e.g., did you have a chance to watch the Panthers' game ... there were 2 ILBs in that game on the Panthers (for example) that were both light years better than anyone we have.  Robinson is decent ... Riley is mediocre ... neither is top shelf at least not right now.

Biggest improvement I've noticed as the season has progressed is the turnovers.

It's an amazing feeling to go into gameday and expect at least a few fumbles and strips to give our offense some extra chances.

The difference between the first few weeks and the last 3 is night and day.

I agree, wonder what game the original poster was watching. Too many wide open receivers and of course gapping holes for the runners to exploit

I think the most frustrating thing was when the holes were actually filled they just could not tackle. Even when they were gang tackling they were sliding off the backs...

been watching the game again this morning. jeezuz our D honestly looked like dog**** pretty much the entire game. if tampa didnt shoot themselves in the foot with dumb penalties, they'd have scored 45. 

pretty disheartening when you have to rely on the other team to **** up. cuz that wont happen next game. 

but, at least QB isnt the biggest of our worries at the moment.

Dare I think with Breeland out what Brady is going to do....  

Regardless of who is in there, I think we need to line up tight on their WRs and take our chances. Lets face it, stopping Gronk is virtually impossible. So I don't want him to be the focus of our game plan.

The BDB may stop the bleeding some, but not much. 

RH's key to D.  We cannot let their water bugs run free.  Jam their tiny WRs and kill timing, bring 5 a lot, bat balls, and help over the top on Gronk. 

Regardless of who is in there, I think we need to line up tight on their WRs and take our chances. Lets face it, stopping Gronk is virtually impossible. So I don't want him to be the focus of our game plan.

Well if we DONT focus on Gronk its going to be a long long day watching him and Brady play pitch and catch. Outside of him their receivers are good but not great - but they put up big numbers because of Brady. Lewis their back is a big part of their passing attack as well.

If I was putting a defensive game plan together for the Pats (and you can all be grateful I'm not) I'd make sure that Gronk never gets a free release and that he is doubled every play. In the redzone I am bracketing him. I am also accounting for Lewis as a reciever every time he is in the game.

If that means having single coverage on their other receivers and being in single high so be it. Your probably going to beat me anyway but your not going to beat me with Gronk and Lewis.

The right side of their O'Line is not good - you have to hit Brady and get him off his spot. Its hard to do because he gets the ball out so quick but if you dont hit him its over. Also if he attempts a QB sneak I want him hit - dont care if he makes it just make him pay for it.

Not saying Cooley is gospel but for what its worth after the Atlanta game he said he was worried that a template was found as to how to run against this defense and it might not easily be fixed and that is running off the edges especially when they are in nickel.   He says Keenan has been playing poorly of late maybe because of the injuries and Riley is the most blocked LB in the league.  Going after Riley is becoming a Cooley trademark this season to some degree last year, too.

The Pats scare the world with their passing game. 

Opposite than 8 in the box. 4 in the box.

Invite them to run. Control the bleeding. Make Gronk an afterthought since they are running for 9 yards at a time (which teams seem to be doing on us anyways). 

Go aggressively for strips, and make them make their RB beat us. If there is such a game plan.

It's not 100% helpless, but damn close. There must be some way to beat those punks.

Not saying Cooley is gospel but for what its worth after the Atlanta game he said he was worried that a template was found as to how to run against this defense and it might not easily be fixed and that is running off the edges especially when they are in nickel.   He says Keenan has been playing poorly of late maybe because of the injuries and Riley is the most blocked LB in the league.  Going after Riley is becoming a Cooley trademark this season to some degree last year, too.

One thing I have noticed is that we stunt the edge defender inside a lot. When we do that either by design (which I find hard to understand) or poor execution (more likely) there is no defender dropping down to become the edge defender to the side of the stunt. I'd expect a safety to become that edge defender in that situation in many cases. 

Teams have been running outside that stunt a lot and finding a lot of room on the edge of our run defense. Of course they have been finding room up the mddile as well but thats another story ...

There must be some way to beat those punks.

There is. Hit Brady often and hard. He looks very human when hes getting hit. You have to do it with your 4 or 5 rush though - if you blitz him he will pick you apart and they have a big screeen game as well if they smell the blitz.

Easy to say. Hard to do.

Miami got to Brady, pushed him off his spot and he still killed them. They also showed a willingness last night to run early and were successful doing so. 

They did get to him - but not that much. The Pats used the running game and a heavy dose of the screen game early to slow the rush down before they started trying to throw the ball down the field.

A lot of the damage done by the Pats were screens and short passes to Lewis and intermediate throws to Gronk. Thats 40 odd yeard TD he scored as about a 15 yard in and he just ran around the DB in zone coverage who looked like he wanted no part of trying to tackle him. 

One thing I have noticed is that we stunt the edge defender inside a lot. When we do that either by design (which I find hard to understand) or poor execution (more likely) there is no defender dropping down to become the edge defender to the side of the stunt. I'd expect a safety to become that edge defender in that situation in many cases.

Teams have been running outside that stunt a lot and finding a lot of room on the edge of our run defense. Of course they have been finding room up the mddile as well but thats another story ...

There is. Hit Brady often and hard. He looks very human when hes getting hit. You have to do it with your 4 or 5 rush though - if you blitz him he will pick you apart and they have a big screeen game as well if they smell the blitz.

Easy to say. Hard to do.

Martin, did you see that Bullock article about reasons for run D struggling? You nailed it. I wish he'd mentioned how many yards were picked up on those runs - we got gashed big time. Barry's asking his ILBs to try to set the edge/play contain, but it puts way too much pressure on them. They have to scrape across the line and then almost reverse field to set the edge. I think another part of the reason is with the line (mostly?) playing one gap (and getting washed out of the play), it seems easier for a lineman to release to pick up the ILB. Think it makes so much more sense to bring down a safety and instead allow the ILB to flow to the ball, although asking a safety to set the edge is a tough task as well. I don't think it's a coincidence the ILBs are "suddenly" playing poorly.

Hope Barry finds a reasonable solution, 'cause that is #1 or #2 reason we're 1-2 last three games (and frankly, we should be 0-3 if the Bucs didn't implode with penalties). Our secondary has exceeded expectations (so maybe he will feel more confident walking a safety up?), but if the running trend continues, it seems likely the win/loss % continues.

If we can't stop the run and can't run, I honestly don't think we'd win another game unless 1) our defense forces more turnovers than our offense allows, or 2) the other team implodes with penalties ala the Bucs. That's too much to really hope for/rely on.

I'm excited for Cousins, players getting healthy, young guys and depth playing well, and ST (weird, huh), but if we don't fix/improve at least one of our two glaring, our record is going to be depressing and may be followed by upheaval. That'd (likely) be unfortunate.

Random thought - I'd like to see a stud SS picked up in the offseason - having essentially a 3rd (well, 5th technically) "linebacker" could mitigate that rush D problem. I recall Cooley, at the beginning of the year, raving about Ihenacho's ability to play downhill.

Martin, did you see that Bullock article about reasons for run D struggling? You nailed it. I wish he'd mentioned how many yards were picked up on those runs - we got gashed big time. Barry's asking his ILBs to try to set the edge/play contain, but it puts way too much pressure on them. They have to scrape across the line and then almost reverse field to set the edge.

Did not see that article.

I agree with you that asking an ILB to scrape and set the edge is a big ask, especially when we are mainly one gapping. I'd walk a safety into the box in those situations. Right now I'd probably dial right back on the inside stunting, get more basic and ask guys to get back to the fundamentals of filling their gap, getting off blocks and tackling.

Archived