Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kudos to Joe Barry

endotoothdoc

Curious, does Murphy's catch of the lateral count as an interception?

I believe it's a fumble.

I believe it's a fumble.

I believe it's a fumble.

Im concerned about the complete lack of turnovers, as the fumble was an absolute gift, but I like how little yards they are giving up.  That alone is worlds better than last year, and Im not one to complain about making significant progress.

I believe what Barry said about them.  They kinda come in bunches.  Someone lights the fuse and the rest of the team start to get hungry.  The other team starts to worry about losing the ball and thus begins to play a little scared.  Self-fulfilling prophecy.  They really start with pressure.  A speed rusher like Galette would have really helped. 

They really weren't on the field that long to get many TO's... I think they will come, just keep up the intensity.

1 minor thing in yesterdays game that really excited me, probably not even noticed by many. We had a pass break up by a hit from one of our DB's, not even sure who it was. But, just he fact our guys were around the ball, playing hard-nosed... just haven't seen that from our D in a while. It was a little thing but I was like YES, our D is becoming the tone setters. 

Can you believe our defense is ranked #4 through four weeks?  I never thought I'd see the D ranked this high after the Hazlet massacre, #2 against the rush feels pretty damn good!  Ranked #9 against the pass ain't too shabby either.  Good job Joe!

Can you believe our defense is ranked #4 through four weeks?  I never thought I'd see the D ranked this high after the Hazlet massacre, #2 against the rush feels pretty damn good!  Ranked #9 against the pass ain't too shabby either.  Good job Joe!

When you give a coach a D-line like this one, things work.  Paea and Knighton are animals.  Chris Baker is now more effective bc he plays alternative down

I believe what Barry said about them.  They kinda come in bunches.  Someone lights the fuse and the rest of the team start to get hungry.  The other team starts to worry about losing the ball and thus begins to play a little scared.  Self-fulfilling prophecy.  They really start with pressure.  A speed rusher like Galette would have really helped. 

To be honest, that smells a bit of what a coach would say who doesnt have an answer for a lack of turnovers.  I get the feeling Wade Phillips for the Broncos would say something like "We game plan for it".  I looked at Houston last year, in 12 of their 16 games they forced multiple turnovers, and in 3 of the remaining 4 they produced 1.  They were pretty consistent every game.  I looked at one other team, the Eagles, who werent top in the league, but roudning out the top 6 teams, and they had between 1-3 turnovers forced every game, except for 2.  Again, consistent.  Maybe the other teams were different, but that was what I saw from my small sample size.  Already in 4 games in we have as many games of not forcing a turnover as the Eagles and Texans had COMBINED last year.

Again, Im happy with the defense, I think its a big step up from last year.  But if the DC thinks that after only 4 games coaching the defense cant do a better job trying to force turnovers, then Im concerned hes a bit too arrogant for his own good, and thinks he has already reached the pinnacle of coachdom, and doesnt need to teach his players anything else.  To him they have reached their pinnacle, and now just have to wait for the turnovers to fall into their laps.

Barry - while early returns are pointing towards an improvement.... when is the last time a DC of ours was able to get sacks and penetration from our front 4? Some of it may be Scot. Baker and Hatcher do seem rejuvenated, however.

Barry calling one gaps may be what is separating him from the previous DCs, that had the DL two gaping, which I affectionately refer to as reading reacting and getting run over.

Barry - while early returns are pointing towards an improvement.... when is the last time a DC of ours was able to get sacks and penetration from our front 4? Some of it may be Scot. Baker and Hatcher do seem rejuvenated, however.

Barry calling one gaps may be what is separating him from the previous DCs, that had the DL two gaping, which I affectionately refer to reading reacting and getting run over.

Agree.  For many years, we've claimed that we modeled our 3-4 defense from the Steelers, but in reality, we never did.  I think you described it correctly.  I saw Polamalu and Co. flying all over the place in the gaps and we seemed to just sit back, take on blocks and guess which way the ball was coming.

Agree.  For many years, we've claimed that we modeled our 3-4 defense from the Steelers, but in reality, we never did.  I think you described it correctly.  I saw Polamalu and Co. flying all over the place in the gaps and we seemed to just sit back, take on blocks and guess which way the ball was coming.

I like to think its not just my personal preference to see a DC be aggressive, that it actually is more effective.  We have heard it from every DC for 2 decades, we are going to be aggressive

I am getting concerned the D appears to be living off of gift turnovers. Maybe the tide will turn, but if we are going to beat Atlanta, I have to think it starts with winning the turnover battle. Will Barry go 4 man rush like in the early weeks, or blitz more like he has in more recent weeks?  

Another key to beating Atlanta may be to stop the bleeding on the huge plays from last week. I don't miss Haslett but did appreciate the times he ran cover 0 / brought the house, and almost manically dictated to the offense. He only really got burned one time doing that, maybe twice. Hope i am remembering that correctly.

Im impressed by the pass D. Fewell and Barry do a amazing job in scheming. We play way more zone then last year but because we mix it up a lot there arent a lot of windows. It takes time for O to get somebody open. That time they dont get because of the good passrush. It also works really well against all the Quick passing team.

The run D is just good coaching up. Everybody does his job and we gang tackle. Fly with bunch of guys at the ball.

I would not call our DBacks great XD the depth is even very questionable.

I am getting concerned the D appears to be living off of gift turnovers. Maybe the tide will turn, but if we are going to beat Atlanta, I have to think it starts with winning the turnover battle. Will Barry go 4 man rush like in the early weeks, or blitz more like he has in more recent weeks?  

I don't think TO battle will be such a huge thing against ATL. If our D remains as good to make 3 and out, we'll have opportunities to overcome it.

I'm liking the way we play our D. It doesn't look that complex or whatever but it gets the job done. We're not blitzing all the time, but we're doing it when needed and it's usually effective. We're getting some nice pressure with just our DL, and as much credit I'd like to give to Joe Barry, let's not forget all our positional coaches that are doing a great job as well with our guys.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade about the defense, they have played pretty well overall....but....oh...there is always a but.

The Defense could have given up more in the MIAMI game except for dropped balls and an overthrown deep ball. Eli Manning had his way for the most part in New York...and there are zero interceptions. While the Defense is not a leaky faucet or swinging door anymore, it also hasn't WON any games and nearly lost the Philadelphia game because there is no killer instinct.

When a great defensive coach has a team on the ropes, he goes for the jugular and I haven't seen that from Joe Barry's 4 man rush Prevent Defense thus far. Hoping to stop teams on penalties, dropped passes, and missed field goals is not a good formula. It works about half the time and coincidentally the Skins win one and then lose one. If the pattern continues they will lose this weekend as well because Joe Barry will not blitz but will rely on 4 pass rushers.

I wish Barry would at least put 6 or 7 men on the line of scrimmage and occasionally rush more than 4 but I see the same basic set every single time and that concerns me. But hey...he is the genius who is making One Million Dollars per year and he will command my respect if he can keep Atlanta from scoring 4 touchdowns.

good posts

One thing I thought I saw in the Philly game, the game where we got gashed pretty good on big plays, was that there times where the defense clearly showed no semblance of a possible blitz. i theorized at the time, wise teams will start audibing deep since they know if there is ever going to be time to go deep, they will not be getting blitzed on that play. 

I like the idea to not give so much of a vanilla look, when we are running a vanilla base almost old school stuff; at least have a LB take a hard step forward.

Of course, what do I know. I just like sharing what I see and reading others opines. 

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade about the defense, they have played pretty well overall....but....oh...there is always a but.

The Defense could have given up more in the MIAMI game except for dropped balls and an overthrown deep ball. Eli Manning had his way for the most part in New York...and there are zero interceptions. While the Defense is not a leaky faucet or swinging door anymore, it also hasn't WON any games and nearly lost the Philadelphia game because there is no killer instinct.

When a great defensive coach has a team on the ropes, he goes for the jugular and I haven't seen that from Joe Barry's 4 man rush Prevent Defense thus far. Hoping to stop teams on penalties, dropped passes, and missed field goals is not a good formula. It works about half the time and coincidentally the Skins win one and then lose one. If the pattern continues they will lose this weekend as well because Joe Barry will not blitz but will rely on 4 pass rushers.

I wish Barry would at least put 6 or 7 men on the line of scrimmage and occasionally rush more than 4 but I see the same basic set every single time and that concerns me. But hey...he is the genius who is making One Million Dollars per year and he will command my respect if he can keep Atlanta from scoring 4 touchdowns.

I get what you're saying but again it predicates on the CB talent at his disposal.  I believe that once he gets comfortable with the one on one match-ups and how our corners fair against WRs, then he'll start bringing the dogs.

Well, don't know if he did enough of it, but I definitely saw some different looks as described above. I can't decide if he lost the 'chess match', or if players struggled executing, but the defense struggled a bit.

Bottom line though, hard to argue against the score (19 in regulation), the turnovers, sacks/pressure and the fact he did it with a such a mishmash secondary. Would I have liked to see Atlanta stopped with the game on the line? Sure. But Kudos to you Coach Barry for getting these guys ready to play.

Those with a better vantage than me, what really happened in that final Atlanta drive. Not at the goal line, but everything up to it? Did we just go prevent and soft zone? Did we abandon pressure or was it just a really good QB and offense knuckling down when they had to?

Anyway, I thought Barry's D held up pretty well especially in pass defense esp. considering our secondary was an off the street free agent, a low round rookie, and a promising second year guy. Plus, a back up strong safety and a starting free that many thought had entered the toast phase of his career.

Archived