Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kudos to Joe Barry

endotoothdoc

Miami, St' Louis, not really offensive powerhouses.

But I do give him his props; the defense could have came out looking like the same old scrubs, but they didn't.

One thing that will keep this defense from being great is the weakness in the secondary. Not going out and buying Revis or some other top notch CB is a good start, mostly because when the FO pays for a high profile defensive player they end up being a failure.

But I like what I see thus far, a defense that's ball hungry, aggressive, hard hitting, and not being bombarded by 70 yd TD passes every sunday, twice on Mondays.  This defense is 1 player away from being a true feared defense to go against, and I hope that they find one of these gems in the near future.

Miami, St' Louis, not really offensive powerhouses.

But I do give him his props; the defense could have came out looking like the same old scrubs, but they didn't.

One thing that will keep this defense from being great is the weakness in the secondary. Not going out and buying Revis or some other top notch CB is a good start, mostly because when the FO pays for a high profile defensive player they end up being a failure.

But I like what I see thus far, a defense that's ball hungry, aggressive, hard hitting, and not being bombarded by 70 yd TD passes every sunday, twice on Mondays. This defense is 1 player away from being a true feared defense to go against, and I hope that they find one of these gems in the near future.

So, one thing to keep in mind in comparing Haslett to Barry (not that you are, I'll get to your post in a sec) is that Haslett's defense played very similarly in the first few weeks of the season last year... but that was after years of the same scheme. Barry has them looking halfway decent after a few months - and that's not factoring in some key guys missing.

To your point, of course it's too early to give them too much praise, but I generally agree with your sentiment that they seem to be playing with a bit more aggression and they're not blowing as many assignments. Turnovers/pressure/adjustments are an issue so far, but I agree that having one more piece (Galette might have fit the bill) would probably make a large difference.

I also think Barry is playing to his players strengths better than Haslett did (though that could be incidental due to the scheme/philosophical change) - Hatcher and Baker are better at one gapping, Riley is not being tasked with covering the seam, etc. I'm guessing he'll come to realize that Breeland/Hall/Culliver are better in man (IMO) - the Giant's game might have opened his eyes to that - but playing man more often could/would expose others. I see some positives, anyway.

Overall though, I don't know that he has the hosses to get this D playing an better than decent in the short term... they'll keep the team in many games, but I assume they'll really struggle against some of the more powerful O's (Pats/Falcons). I also think we'll begin to see a bit more turnovers as the players adjust to eachother and the scheme, and Barry gets more comfortable with his players and his role.

Sort of side note - I'm concerned that next year we could lose/part ways with some key players on the D, but since the offense seems mostly set, I'm guessing Scot devotes more resources toward the D. Lot of caveats there though...

Meh. He's an upgrade from Haslett, but that ain't sayin much. I find myself underwhelmed. Meanwhile Wade Phillips, the Norv Turner of DCs has the Broncos defense poppin. We could've hired Wade Phillips. We hired Joe Barry instead. I have a feeling he'll be seeing a gallon of vanilla on his desk soon enough.

Meh. He's an upgrade from Haslett, but that ain't sayin much. I find myself underwhelmed. Meanwhile Wade Phillips, the Norv Turner of DCs has the Broncos defense poppin. We could've hired Wade Phillips. We hired Joe Barry instead. I have a feeling he'll be seeing a gallon of vanilla on his desk soon enough.

That could be the case, just gotta wait and see; sorta like the KC situation.

But I literately got a chub when I heard Haslett was gone. The guy just could not adjust until we were 40 pts behind, and by that time even the players looked like they just said '**** it'.

You are underwhelmed after all of 3 gms. I guess it doesn't make any difference that Denver already had a decent D and that they spent a lot of money in FAs to build a team for this year for Peyton. Can you honestly look at that talent and look at our roster and say they are anywhere near equal?

Our Dline is decent. Our secondary is decimated with injury and due to suspension, the projected secondary has not had a single game together. Our LBs are decent but we have serious injuries there too. We are bringing guys in off the street and are getting immediate playing time. Us and Indy have the highest number of lost starter gms due to injury and that does not even include the starters on IR before the season started.

With all that we are 2nd is total Def (only 18 yds a gm more than Denver who is 1st) and 8th in total pts allowed (only 3 pts a gm more than Den. who is 4th) And that's' just meh? Before you say we played worse teams, through 3 weeks, Denver opponents were 1-8 (it's just 2-8 overall thanks to the gift the Steelers gave the Ravens, they should be 0-4). Our opponents are 3-6, not great but not any worse. If you remove head to head gms from each it's 1-5, the same records.

Wade Phillips can do a great job for a year or two. But it's not sustainable. Look at every place he has been. He does a good job for a few yrs then his Ds decline. Also he is old. Maybe we were looking for a younger, more hungry guy that might be here for several years providing some continuity.

I still don't know what to make of him. He hasn't been susceptible to the big play, but gave a bunch up today in the running and passing game. In fact, the big play was the only play the Eagles could execute.

I think we have enough evidence that he's an upgrade from Haslett though.

And yeah, the Wade Phillips thing makes me wonder what if a little too. Imagine Wade Phillips and Callahan... Still, 3 games out of four, Barry's led a pretty good effort despite a revolving door in the secondary.

Well I tend to think that the big plays have more to do with our secondary being banged up and whatsoever than Barry's himself.

Looking at our DLine going through the Eagles Line on their last drive with just 4 guys was impressive. Murphy and Kerrigan really blew them.

Well I tend to think that the big plays have more to do with our secondary being banged up and whatsoever than Barry's himself.

Looking at our DLine going through the Eagles Line on their last drive with just 4 guys was impressive. Murphy and Kerrigan really blew them.

Yeah, a small bit of redemption for Kerrigan who whiffed badly twice :tantrum:

Ryan's one of our best, but you got to get Bradford down when you get your hands on him.

It's amazing how people just do not want to give this guy any credit. Our secondary is pulling guys off the street and yet we are still balling out. The Dline is much improved and the guys are making plays. Yes, an injured Culliver gave up a few big plays. But that's because we literally have no one else to play.

We have lost the most starter games due to injury in the NFL - tied with Indy with 14 going into this weeks games. Most of that for us is for DBs. Yet we are still top 10 in virtually every statistical category.

I am not ready to say he is awesome but at least give the guy his due!  He has changed the attitude of this Defense, for the better.

I'm not going to jump on the Joe Barry bandwagon.

This is premature and I'm sure this thread will blow up after playing the Falcons and the Pats.

With that being said Barry can only do so much with the talent he has.

Haslett was horrible on more than one team.

So I was done with him. Barry needs to get a couple years before we can say he's good or bad for that matter.

After the 2nd game last year, too.  I was at that Jax game, the defense was insane that day, sack after sack.  Looked like the defense with Haz "unshackled" was ready to be a force.  It all came crashing down after that.  Good start for Joe Barry but remembering where we were last season after game 2 (also in a good place), I'd like to see a few more games before I am sold.

You cannot judge your team by playing the Jags as every team that plays them looks like a super bowl team. They are very very bad.

I think it was overall a good game for Barry. We won, which goes a long ways.  I did hear from an Eagles fan friend that their OL is horrible, and indeed we got pressure with our base front. I wasn't sure Bradford was going to make it through the game. 

Scoreboard aside, they torched us for big plays. 62, 45, 39, 30, 30 yards.... I am not sure what to make of that. If his mission as a DC is to prevent the big play, he failed on that priority.  Perhaps he tried to do the opposite of Bend Don't Break....Straighten Do Reinforce?

If he did take a new approach, I am glad we won, to almost reinforce his game plan, that takes more risks.

Barry's blitzes were nothing short of brilliant. He got a free rusher almost every time.

One of my biggest gripes with Haslett was how telegraphed the blitzes always were and how easy it seemed for the opponent to get every guy blocked. They'd all just end up in a garbled mess at the LOS with no one coming free.

He knows how to call a blitz, that's for sure. Had Kerrigan and friends actually got Bradford down when it was as easy as it gets we'd likely be looking at another game where the opposing offense was held to under 20.

The deep balls were just Culliver's bad knee. Both of them happened against him, can't see how you can blame Barry, or Fewell for that matter, on them. They didn't leave him on an island as in both instances he was supposed to have Safety help, though it was single high and the Eagles forced the Safety to cover both sides deep. That's the risk they took to be aggressive, though.

They could've went the route of more cover 2, I guess, to protect Culliver more. But then we'd have likely seen a lot more intermediate stuff between the hashes and more sustained drives from them.

Secondary has been decimated and they're not making any excuses about it, they're still making some plays as well.

Very impressed. It's been refreshing to see the return of the 3 and out. I almost forgot it existed.

This next week will tell. We are facing the best QB and the most dangerous RB we've seen to date. Falcons are on fire, and Davonta Freeman scares me.

Yep, one thing is to bring the heat when a team is limping and down for the count, i.e. Philly. 

Now let's see how aggressive he is with a bully. 

I know it was only one drive, but when murphy switched to the left he looked waaay better. i know kerrigan has always been the LOLB because orakpo played on the right, but if kerrigan is our best pass rusher maybe its time to slowly transition him to the right side.

Doc was saying that. 

any .gifs on twitter of  muphy's sack or his play on the Baker sack. 

I'm seeing a lot of good for that last series and a lot of bad for the game ... 

How close is Hall to coming back? Is Culliver's injury one that will improve without rest?

I thought I heard Hall is at least 3-4 weeks away, IF he is able to come back at all. He could be looking at surgery and maybe a career.

Dunno about Culliver since there hasn't been a whole alot of info given out on exactly what is wrong. But based on yesterday he is having trouble running.

Scott M. is building the defensive roster from the front to back and it shows.  Skins are getting pressure by rushing 4 - that was impossible with the Haslett roster.  Kudos to Barry though for making the best use of his personnel and implementing one-gap versus Haslett's Okie defense.  Baker is much better suited to a full time DE than as a space hogging NT. 

A new major plus for the defense though is that when they do get off the field the Offense can stay on the field for some time consuming drives.  The defense stays fresh and doesn't get worn down by the 4th quarter.  Kudos to Callahan for getting the most out of his OL and the commitment to the running game.  The running game + the WCO dink and dunk attack means less time for opponents to exploit the weakness of the Skins defense.

Having said all that, the key to beating the Skins defense is the passing game.  I'd expect Atlanta to pass 75%+ of their snaps.  Sprinkle in running plays to keep the defense honest.  Skins still need a good draft plus before the defense is credible.

MAJOR KUDOS!!!!

Have not allowed over 90 yards rushing in any game all year. Secondary basically held together with floss. 4 games, but still, we are a top 5 total defense at this point... WOW and nothing less

We need safety help. Goldston whiffed on the big run yesterday and the over the top help on the long balls made safeties look like they were standing in concrete.

Really would like to snare a top DB in first round and continue to build OL/DL in remaining early rounds. With Gruden's 'vanilla' offense approach (which like it or not is effective), this D is gonna be the focus of the team. 

Way to go Barry!!!!!!

I really like how detailed oriented he is as the DC.  I heard on ESPN 980 from both Murphy (who got the int) and Kerrigan that Barry went over the rugby play.  Murphy stayed home as he was supposed to as Philly was trying to set up a wall on the back side.  Murphy was right there to spoil the play. 

Get this guy some more talent on the back end and another speed rusher and I think we'll have ourselves a perennial top 10 defense. 

Archived