Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins / Rams Prediction Thread: Battle of the D-Line

skins island connection

When: 1:00 P.M. /Noon CST

Where: Fed Ex Field

Ok, week 1 is behind us. The sky isn't falling afterall; well, at least to most it isn't.

Sunday, the Redskins welcome the St. Louis Rams into FedEx Field for what is seemingly a yearly event now.

Since 2006, the Redskins are an abysmal 2-5 against the Rams, not something to write home about.

The Rams come off an impressive win against the Seahawks, leading by 13 going into the 4th, and hanging on in OT to get the win.

Everyone knows my next comment; Gregg Williams; the DC I hoped would bury the hatchet and come back, but it didn't turn out that way. ****. He has his front d-linemen hitting hard and playing aggressive, with one player in particular to watch out for, named Aaron Donald. This guy could be a game changer in this league. 6 sacks on Russell Wilson says enough, the Redskins o-line has their work cut out for them, and when Williams smells blood, he turns up the heat.

The Redskins come off a disappointing loss, but all losses are, right? Actually, it was a pleasant surprise to see the team playing 60 minutes of physical football. Kirk Cousins played ok, not great, not bad, but wasn't getting a lot of help from the WRs; DJax went out early with a hamstring injury and Roberts couldn't catch a yeast infection if he was making love to Betty Crocker wearing a Bisquick condom.

The defense really surprised me. They played hard, physical football, and even though they dropped a few pics, they looked overall improved over the junk we had last year.

Special teams remains special, I'm not sure what it would take to get a competing ST group to not give up pr/kr for TDs, but something has to be done to stop this. Wash rinse repeat, same ol' same ol'.

This will be another tough game for Cousins, he will be getting pressure all game long; how well he handles it will determine the outcome, but it will not be an easy outing. Look for Morris to be the focal point of the Rams D, so maybe the time is right for another RB to shine on sunday; got any ideas?

This will be a win for the Redskins, but it'll be a nail-biter.

Redskins 20

Rams 17

Rams 20 Redskins 7. Very physical game this week, hope for no injuries. They just beat the Seahawks on opening day and think the Rams with Foles are a different team then the Rams with Austin Davis. Next week we get the Giants and we can win that game but don’t like this game this week after what went down today

This is the nightmare game for Kirk Cousins. While our OL played tough against the best DL front in the NFL last week, GW's schemes will include a potpourri of inside stunts and blitzes that will lead to 4 Capt Kirk turnovers. Tavon Austin is maybe the best return man in the NFL and will take one to the house.

27-13 Rams.

27-13 Rams. 

I suspect the Rams Defense gets a TD or two against us, after that piss poor mediocre performance from Kirk against the Dolphins I don't have much confidence in his ability to stave off a known commodity that is the rather potent Ram's D. 

If Kirk can not throw multiple INTs maybe I'll start believing but... it'd be a blessing if he could get it down to just once a game. 

I don't have a good feeling about this game at all. Even when we are decent, we lose to this team. I fear their passing game, I fear their special teams, and I fear their defense. I would anticipate a similarly conservative game plan which means we will need to sustain drives and cut down on negative plays (the downside to those 15-play drives is that you increase the odds of turnovers, sacks, penalties, etc.).

I'd love to be wrong, but I see a pretty ugly game. I think they score right off the bat and slowly grow the lead. By halftime we'll be looking at a 17-0 deficit. I see our offense finally punching in a score early in the fourth after the Ram lead is 24-0. They will add a late FG for a 27-8 final.  

Gross week 2, but a quick turnaround for a road game is the silver lining. Less time to panic about this one.

Redskins 23 Rams 20

Cousins leads a game winning drive, and the D holds

Boy, if that happens, I'll be fired up about this team.

I think our defense will shut down the Rams running game. We are familiar with Foles and know his tendencies. I'm really not worried about their offense and I feel we will keep their offensive points down. However, I fear that we give up another special teams touchdown as we are just pathetic on teams and the Rams have Bailey & Austin.

When it comes to our offense against their defense we are strongly outmatched. I know our offensive line held their own against Miami's front 7, but I don't think it will be quite the same story this week. I have a bad feeling they shut down our running game from the get go and we are forced to pass too early and often. Cousins will have a few strong plays but then offset them with a few bad ones (at least 2 picks). The loss of Djax's presence will be felt.

All in all I believe we will hang in there and make it a tough, physical game. It just won't be enough though.

Rams 20 - Skins 17

Side Note: We beat the Giants in Week 3 and our offense scores over 30!!

Rams 24 Skins 14. Sadly I feel 0-5 start coming : (

Why does everyone have the Giants as an automatic L? I see an even barer cupboard in NY this year.

I'll take a wild guess:

Everyone in this thread will slurp the Rams and act like they are world beaters (Like the Dolphins) because the beat the Seahawks Week 1 even though history has shown that Week 1 results are flukes

It'll be a close game. They aren't a good team guys.

Skins 17

Rams 13

Agree. Let down game for them after a big win too. Typical of a young team. Skins need this one and get it, 20-16.

i predicted an ugly game last week and it turned out we did pretty well, albeit a loss.  lots of improvement seen.  if not for 2nd half penalties and the ST hiccup on their punt return, we really could have won that one...  That being said, with the Rams having won a huge emotional game in OT last week against a division rival, I really think we have a chance this week. They might just be overlooking us

Skins 23

Sheep 21

This is the nightmare game for Kirk Cousins. While our OL played tough against the best DL front in the NFL last week, GW's schemes will include a potpourri of inside stunts and blitzes that will lead to 4 Capt Kirk turnovers. Tavon Austin is maybe the best return man in the NFL and will take one to the house.

27-13 Rams.

I'm not sure that the Dolphins have the best defensive front in the NFL. It's one of the best, but St. Louis's is better. The DL is better and the front as a whole is a lot better when you consider the LBers too. The Rams start a first round pick at every spot in their front except for Akeem Ayers and Alex Ogletree, second round picks. And they have another first round pick in Nick Fairley rotating in from the bench. They have a crazy amount of talent in that front, and most of it is still really young. Their secondary isn't bad either. I think this might be the NFL's #1 defense by the end of the year.

The Bills might have a better front than Miami, and the Jets might have a better front too. Although I think Miami's LBers are better than New York's and Buffalo's. I'd say Carolina has a better front when you factor in the LBers.

The Dophins front relies on having two elite players: Wake and Suh. But Vernon isn't on that level yet, plus he got hurt during the game. Jordan Phillips isn't there yet, and Earl Mitchell is just a guy. Their LBers are good, but not outstanding like St. Louis's and Carolina's. Our OL was able to be effective by designing runs to go away from Suh and using his aggressive, penetrative role to our advantage--letting him get into the backfield and then sealing him off from the lane. We weren't really afraid of anyone hurting us once we dealt with him. But against St. Louis there's just not a lot of weak points to attack. It's not going to be easy running away from Brockers to the right and dealing with Long, Donald/Fairley, and Ayers. And going left, that Brockers/Lauvao matchup worries me.

I think this game will be the biggest test of our OL this year. I think we're going to have to run away from Brockers and come what may with our other match ups. And we're also going to have to protect our QB against a TON of blitzing and rushing threats.

I think this will be a very low scoring game. 17-10 Rams.

I predict a slow start, 1/2 on field goals in the first half and then getting traction in the second half but too late losing

34 - 20.

Cousins will throw at  least one interception and fumble the ball at least once.

Matt Jones will be the featured back in the 2nd Half, and Grant and Ross if they are active won't have a catch till the second half.

(Man I'm way more pessimistic right now than I thought I'd be :/ so maybe reality is somewhere between here and there.)

Rams D line is an issue. Secondary is definitely beatable. No all pro caliber player like the Dolphins...

Their O line is also an issue, for them at least. No Gurley, No Tre Mason...no beast receiver like The Dolphins have...D plays like last week we will be in the game.

Meh. probably another low scoring game that either team could win.

Which means we won't.

But **** it...

Skins 24 Rams 20

I worry more about our running game this week.

I wasn't worried about it last week against the Dolphins. I said I felt Suh, while good, is overrated.

I felt good enough about our rushing attack that I put Morris in on my fantasy team, and I wasn't sorry. :)

This week, though, I feel the Rams have a better run defense. Lynch didn't do too bad against them last week, though his numbers were somewhat inflated by one big run in the second half.

I think the Redskins can win, because I feel people, like the Dolphins, are overrating the Rams.

But it will be tough.

Archived