Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Cousins outplaying Griffin?

codeorama

Again like others have said I wouldn't put much into to Kirks last 3 starts. Yeah he makes some bad decisions but that could also be the result of a QB trying to do way to much and force things because of the position he is in. Especially last year, he came into an impossible situation with a team and coaches that were ready to go golfing. That being said Griffin is the better QB and its too bad we play Houston week 1 because I'd be all over a trade with them if that wasnt the case. I just don't think a 3rd round pick is worth giving your week 1 opponent a QB who knows our system and defense and would have some extra incentive to stick it to us. After we beat them down week 1, then look to trade them Cousins, the texans will be desperate at that point.

My thinking is Houston will press for KC after week 1, when they realize Fitz ain't the guy. The Redskins will be in town, plenty of face-to-face talk time with Houston's FO.

The article itself ranked him dead last out of all QBs last season in terms of efficiency. You can't just throw his stats from those final few games. He made a ton of mistakes. He didn't look terrible but he didn't look like someone that I want being the starter.

It's not just 2013 either. He wasn't that great against CLE in 2012. It took the defense making a bunch of impact plays (or Brandon Weeden just being terrible) to pull that out.

Hell, he fumbled right before the half. Had the Browns recovered, who knows how different that year unfolds.

Clearly he isn't John Beck and he may start someday, somewhere. But there are plenty of painfully average to below average QBs starting in the league.

To be fair, he did step in against the eventual SB Champions and pull off a comeback to win the game, so unless KC is given the same attention/development as Griffin, none of us know his potential.

My thinking is Houston will press for KC after week 1, when they realize Fitz ain't the guy. The Redskins will be in town, plenty of face-to-face talk time with Houston's FO.

This won't happen. Nice to think about, but you're not going to trade for a QB after week 1, and then try and teach him a system, and get him out there.

Look what happened last year in Minnesota with (the starter from the bucs who's name I can't remember).  He actually had more experience, and a lot more starting experience than cousins, they tried to trot him out there because he might be better than Cassel and Ponder, and that was, as Bruce would say, "An insult to the integrity of football." And he played like crap and lost to the freakin Giants who I think were winless at the time.

Cousins to the Texans made a lot of sense in April/May.  

Now, it doesn't.  And if the Texans have another poor season, they'll just draft a guy next year.  

The ONLY chance Cousins gets traded before or in the season is if Hoyer AND Manziel both get injured, and the Browns need a 3rd guy who knows the system.  That's unlikely.  

Are these guys at NFL.com for real? LOL

A. They hired Lavar Arrington. And Jamie Dukes. Their standards aren't exactly top notch.

B. "I'd be worried about Griffin, if he's getting outplayed in practice. Cause practice is a dead-balls-accurate indicator of how you will perform in games!" --Taylor Jacobs/Allen Iverson

The topic is being framed the wrong way.

The issue we'll be following this year is whether RG3 progresses as a passer. There are questions about that, and they are legit questions.

Comparisons to Cousins are just a distraction. He probably does look more decisive. He probably is more decisive. So was Rex Grossman (see Soup's Uncle). If RG3 ends up being any way comparable to Cousins, we've missed on our franchise QB. 

The discussion is about whether RG3 is able to develop into what we hope he can be. That's a legit discussion, and totally unrelated to Cousins.

The recent rhetoric surrounding Cousins being a better 'pocket passer' then Griffin leads to the conclusion that being a 'better pocket passer' doesn't correlate to being a better QB. Because anyone that's been watching knows that Griffin is a far superior QB to Cousins and even a cursory look at the stats confirms this fact.

For the record though I do not believe Cousins is better 'pocket passer' then Griffin. In fact the notion that Griffin isn't a good pocket passer is a media invented fiction that isn't supported by his production.

I want two things this season.

1) Win as many games as possible

2) For RG3 to show why people were calling him a once in a generation player only one season ago. I also want a witchhunt of all the scum that immediately started to write RG3 off as another vince young because how DARE he have a poor season after getting his ACL reconstructed. All this QB controversy talk is sickening, mainly because it has no basis in actual reality, simply the manifestation of a media hunting for content during the pre-season. 

I want Griffin to have his vengeance on the league and the general public opinion. **** the league, **** nfl network, **** thom levarro, **** espn, **** Mara, and **** the cowboys. 

If you look at the film exclusively Cousins looked much better than Griffin. Cousins just looks comfortable back there, and RGIII just doesn't. I really think RGIII needs to be allowed to run whenever he feels like he needs to. His career is over if we force him to become a pocket passer. That's just not who he is. If read #1 isn't there and he sees an alley that he can pick up 15 yards, then he needs to hit it and get the first down. My fear is he's going to sit back in the pocket and wait too long to get rid of the ball because he's not processing the information fast enough, which will lead to even bigger hits and risk of injury. Basically exactly what happened last season. If the coaches handcuff RGIII to stay in the pocket then he will never develop into the QB he could. If we let RGIII play his style of QB then over the years he may get to the point he can stay in the pocket and pick defenses apart. Yes it was a pre-season game and yes RGIII only threw 4 passes but IF that was any indication of how RGIII is going to play QB this year then we can all pack it up. I hope Coach Gruden lets RGIII be RGIII.

If you look at the film exclusively Cousins looked much better than Griffin. Cousins just looks comfortable back there, and RGIII just doesn't. I really think RGIII needs to be allowed to run whenever he feels like he needs to. His career is over if we force him to become a pocket passer. That's just not who he is. If read #1 isn't there and he sees an alley that he can pick up 15 yards, then he needs to hit it and get the first down. My fear is he's going to sit back in the pocket and wait too long to get rid of the ball because he's not processing the information fast enough, which will lead to even bigger hits and risk of injury. Basically exactly what happened last season. If the coaches handcuff RGIII to stay in the pocket then he will never develop into the QB he could. If we let RGIII play his style of QB then over the years he may get to the point he can stay in the pocket and pick defenses apart. Yes it was a pre-season game and yes RGIII only threw 4 passes but IF that was any indication of how RGIII is going to play QB this year then we can all pack it up. I hope Coach Gruden lets RGIII be RGIII.

Based on 4 passes?

So if Aldrick catches that TD, does your position change?

I'm just kinda flabbergasted.

4 passes... That's it. I just don't get it

To be fair, he did step in against the eventual SB Champions and pull off a comeback to win the game, so unless KC is given the same attention/development as Griffin, none of us know his potential.

He threw one pass and was successful on a two-point conversion after Griff marched them all the way down the field on a hurt knee. He's had one good game in his career and that was against Cleveland.

Gruden is right about rg3 always wanting the td and never giving up on a play. More often than not it's a mistake, not to mention he ends up taking brutal shots. It's why he injured his knee against Baltimore in the first place. It's something I thought he would learn after his rookie season but he didn't. Maybe Gruden can teach him but I doubt it, it's in his blood.

The recent rhetoric surrounding Cousins being a better 'pocket passer' then Griffin leads to the conclusion that being a 'better pocket passer' doesn't correlate to being a better QB. Because anyone that's been watching knows that Griffin is a far superior QB to Cousins and even a cursory look at the stats confirms this fact.

For the record though I do not believe Cousins is better 'pocket passer' then Griffin. In fact the notion that Griffin isn't a good pocket passer is a media invented fiction that isn't supported by his production.

This times a million.

RGIII's stats throwing from the pocket are excellent - as are his stats throwing against the blitz. He had an unreal rookie year and while he was up and down some last year he was not close to being as bad as the narrative from the media and even some posters here on ES would have us believe. I like Kirk, I think he could be maybe be a good starter in the right situation. But he's not close to the QB RGIII is let alone the QB RGIII could develop into.

I don't know why some parts of the media have decided to run with this agenda - gets clicks which sells advertising I guess.

He threw 4 passes. On 2 of them he went through a full progression and took a check down for positive yardage to set up a short 3rd down or pick up the first - he moved the chains. One he threw away and one he put in a position only his receiver could make a play for the TD but the receiver had a hand out of bounds. If that's an indication of how RGIII is going to play - working through progressions from the pocket, taking care of the football and giving his receivers a chance to make a play we are in good shape.

Do you really want your starting QB scrambling in preseason?

I MIGHT have thought about reading into what he was saying if he could have named someone in the pats org and direct quoted what they said but anyone can do what he's doing. Watch:

"You know Brandon Weeden? There was some talk amongst the Seahawks that he's the best qb on the cowboys roster. Yep, It was heard it directly from someone in the Seahawks organization."

Until I see names attached to these so-called "quotes", I brush them off and laugh. They're a joke.

Well said... When i read the anonymous quotes i was thinking, " who did they ask... New England's backup quarterbacks?"

What a crappy article, the headline implies a controversy then he says there is no controversy. Idiotic stuff.

Anyway, all Robert has to do is play well and win some games, all the media crap won't mean a thing if he can just friggin' play. So come on Robert, light it up and don't suck!

Stop. it. Just. Stop. It!

Cousins outplayed Griffin only in PLAYING TIME!  This is a real good time of the year for you kids to read books and STOP reading and listening to the tripe on NFL.com and BSPN. That is all. Sports writers SUCK! This is the same time of year that we inevitably will hear that Tony romoSUCKS will for the first time NOT be Tony romoSUCKS this season and the Dallass Crackgirlz will win the Sooper Dooper Poop Bowl. Move along, people.

EDIT: I've tried editing my post five times now, removing the "SUCKS" after Romo (not that he doesn't) and it keeps reappearing. Is ES automatically changing every mention of Romo to romoSUCKS?  Weird!

Archived