Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Wait are you saying that you think that the head coaches in the league, (Shanahan, McVay, LaFleur, McDaniel, O'Connell) , left because of hurt feelings?

No, not theirs, Bruce Allen's. He ran guys like McLoughan off because he wasn't getting enough credit

2018, Ravens won 6 of last 7 on the way to a division title with Harbaugh making decisions based on Eugene Shen calculating how various scenarios could impact playoff odds

What in the world is this claptrap supposed to mean. 

11 minutes ago, Pwyl said:

2018, Ravens won 6 of last 7 on the way to a division title with Harbaugh making decisions based on Eugene Shen calculating how various scenarios could impact playoff odds

I’m going to do my best trying to explain what it means……

image.jpeg.10bd939b5b33818e7aff15801cced591.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Is Shen's job gameday analytics or more of a team/roster building analytics? 

From what I read, he’ll oversee (and probably update systems for) the gameday analytics, while he works on more big picture stuff at the franchise level. 

1 hour ago, Pwyl said:

It means he'll get into the headset Tugboat Ron is wearing to let him know if they lose the game they will be eliminated from playoff contention...too bad he wasn't here last year!

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

It means he'll get into the headset Tugboat Ron is wearing to let him know if they lose the game they will be eliminated from playoff contention...too bad he wasn't here last year!

Or maybe he  can tell Ron, analytics determines that eliminating him is path to success.

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2023 at 4:10 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

He's dead last against the run among corners.  Finlay mentioned that its in the soup about what bothers this regime about his start so far.  His size matched to the run game was one of the potential red flags before the season started.

Dead last in PFF grades?  How many run plays per game is Forbes (or any of our outside corners) involved in?  How many where he was the point of failure?

The reason he got benched is because he got absolutely torched by AJ Brown and DJ Moore. 

• Thumb up 2

10 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Dead last in PFF grades?  How many run plays per game is Forbes (or any of our outside corners) involved in?  How many where he was the point of failure?

The reason he got benched is because he got absolutely torched by AJ Brown and DJ Moore. 

Yes.  He was in the 20s.  But if some want to think PFF got it wrong.  Both Keim and Finlay said they heard this team was frustrated by Forbes in the run game.  So there were enough plays on that front to get them frustrated.  Finlay flat out said it was part of the soup for the benching.

I didn't say he got benched because of run responsibilities.  I said I hear it was PART of the reason.  Of course him being torched was the main reason.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yes.  He was in the 20s.  But if some want to think PFF got it wrong.  Both Keim and Finlay said they heard this team was frustrated by Forbes in the run game.  So there were enough plays on that front to get them frustrated.  Finlay flat out said it was part of the soup for the benching.

I didn't say he got benched because of run responsibilities.  I said I hear it was PART of the reason.  Of course him being torched was the main reason.

If Ron is salty about the two run plays a game that Forbes is directly involved in and is using that as a reason to bench him, then that just makes him look like a worse coach.  I can believe it though.  He's done a horrible job this season.  That said, Forbes would not have been benched if he hadn't been giving up big plays through the air that lost us games.  It's THE reason he was benched, to the point where the run defense stuff doesn't even feel worth mentioning.  Saying it's a part of why he was benched overstates how big a problem it is TBH.  It wouldn't keep him from playing for anybody, and he should still be playing if we'd been competent in how we played him over the first five games of his career.  Unless a kid is a phenom like Sauce Gardner, you don't leave him in man coverage with no safety help on elite receivers.  If you draft the kid to play the role of ball hawk, why are you keeping him on an island in man coverage?  Why wouldn't you expect him to aggressively play the break and jump routes?  Why are you not making sure that he's got help over the top so he can actually do this without losing you games?  It's such a basic and fundamental failure in coaching that we can't actually figure out if Forbes is good or bad until we see him play in a minimally competent system.

As for his PFF grade, we like these grades when based on incredibly small sample sizes like Forbes's run d grade would be, but not at all when they're based on 400 snaps of offensive line play?  That doesn't add up.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I have to say I find it comical that we drafted a 23 pound corner and thought he’d be a stout run defender.

This is why they hired Chen because if you're better run organization, you draft a guy who better suits your defense instead of thinking his INTS in college would automatically translate to the NFL.  They need an overhaul badly

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

This is why they hired Chen because if you're better run organization, you draft a guy who better suits your defense instead of thinking his INTS in college would automatically translate to the NFL.  They need an overhaul badly

I’m not going to try to lie to you here but… I don’t think you needed an analytics guy for that.

• Haha 2

Yeah this is actually a situation where I'd be okay with ownership meddling a little bit. 

You can't rely on anyone in the current regime to make a trade that hurts us short term but helps us long term because they know they have no long term job security and have no incentive to help us build for a future they aren't a part of. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There is some buzz around us going for Adam Peters, the 49ers assistant GM, to become our next GM. Now the 49ers have a great roster, for sure one of the most talented ones in the league. However, I think they have not necessarily managed their assets all that well recently.

Looking at their last 4 draft classes, you can argue that they have drafted one really good player - that's Brandon Aiyuk. Hufanga is a solid find and a good player but not a real difference maker. They have drafted really well in 2019 (Bosa, Samuel, Greenlaw) and 2018 (McGlinchey, Warner) and found George Kittle in 2017. But recently, their drafts have been borderline catastrophic - in parts obviously also due to the Trey Lance trade who isn't even on the roster anymore. They also have absolutely no cap space next year.

They have made from some great deals outside of the draft (Trent Williams, McCaffrey, Chase Young?) but to me, I think what sets them apart is their coaching staff. Shannahan knows how to leverage the talent of his players and he is just one of the most creative offensive minds in all of football. It's why he can make his system work even with average QB play. It's also why guys like e.g. Deebo Samuel excel there because Shannahan understands their skill set and how to make use of it. Shannahan also attracts fantastic defensive coaching talent. Now part of that is surely because they have a talented defense but also that Shannahan gives young coaches a chance. I am not sure how well the 49ers roster would look if Shannahan left. Just imagine our coaching staff had managed that roster.

I will not complain if we actually get someone who was part of assembling their roster and who comes from a winning organization. But personally, I would prefer to get someone from the Eagles. I think the Eagles success is primarily determined by their front office and not their coaching staff. It doesn't really matter who coached there recently, they have had success regardless. I think they have the most balanced roster in the league, have a couple of real blue chip players - most of whom they drafted themselves. And they manage their assets extremely well. They are super active on the trade market and they always strike deals where everyone is wondering how on earth anyone is still doing business with the Eagles. They also build their roster with such great vision, where they always draft or sign potential replacements early and accumulate draft picks for future years, to be in a position to make moves when necessary, etc. I think their front office is ahead of every other front office by a mile. And that doesn't mean that they do not also make bad mistakes (e.g. Reagor over Jefferson) but they always find a way to overcome these mistakes (in 2021 they drafted Devonta Smith and then they traded a first rounder for AJ Brown in 2022 and still had 3 more first round picks in the last 2 years). It does not feel like they missed a beat since they won the Superbowl even though their roster is totally different now. Oh, and they have almost 50m in cap space next year. There must be smart people besides Howie Roseman in that office, and I would love to recruit from that pool.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

There is some buzz around us going for Adam Peters, the 49ers assistant GM, to become our next GM. Now the 49ers have a great roster, for sure one of the most talented ones in the league. However, I think they have not necessarily managed their assets all that well recently.

From what i noticed the buzz is driven by the idea that we've made deals with SF.   Outside of that i've not hear any beat guy mention that as a rumor. 

From a pedigree standpoint though he seems intriguing.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/7-personnel-executives-who-will-be-2024-nfl-general-manager-candidates/

49ers-logo-e1676994742626.png Adam Peters, Asst. GM, 49ers

When John Lynch was hired as the San Francisco 49ers’ general manage in 2017, one of the first things he did was steal the highly regarded Peters away from the Denver Broncos.

Peters spent seven years with the Broncos as an area scout, a national scout, their assistant director of college scouting and finally, their director of college scouting.

The year before Lynch, Peters and coach Kyle Shanahan arrived, the 49ers were 2-14. In the past four years, they’ve made it to the NFC Championship Game three times and the Super Bowl once.

Peters interviewed for the Giants’ GM job last year that went to Joe Schoen. He also interviewed for the Tennessee Titans GM job this year but declined an interview with Arizona for its GM opening.

“He seems to be very comfortable where he is,’’ said Mike Tannenbaum, a former NFL executive and current analyst for The 33rd Team. “But if he wants to be a GM somewhere else, he certainly will have some opportunities.’’

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

As to speculation from Harris' Steelers ties

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/7-personnel-executives-who-will-be-2024-nfl-general-manager-candidates/

steelers-e1676940918298.png Andy Weidl, Asst. GM, Pittsburgh Steelers

Weidl is another Newsome disciple. The former Villanova offensive lineman spent a decade as an area scout for Newsome and the Ravens before joining the Eagles as their assistant director of player personnel in 2016.

He was the Eagles’ vice president of player personnel last year when he interviewed and was a finalist for the Steelers’ GM job. The Steelers ended up staying in-house and hiring Omar Khan, who had been with the organization for more than 20 years. 

But Weidl, a Pittsburgh native who began his career with the Steelers, accepted the assistant job under Khan.

Weidl isn’t looking to leave. His wife also is a Pittsburgh native. They just built a new house there. But if he gets an opportunity to run his own show somewhere, it would be hard to turn down.

“Andy is as qualified as anybody out there,’’ Baldinger said. “He learned from Ozzie. He’s pretty polished right now. He knows how to do the whole media gauntlet thing that a GM has to be able to do.

“I know he likes it in Pittsburgh. He started his whole professional journey there. He loves Mike Tomlin and loves Omar. He’s not the head guy, but he makes good money, and they listen to him. They believe they’re building something special in Pittsburgh to compete again. I think Andy would go if the right offer came along. But I don’t know that he’ll just run out of there for any job.’’

“Andy has worked for two outstanding organizations in Philly and Baltimore,’’ Tannenbaum said. “He has a big say now in Pittsburgh and how they procure talent there. He’s a little under the radar from a national perspective. But if the Steelers are successful and (QB Kenny) Pickett continues to develop the way they hope, there will be people in that organization like Andy who will get a lot of notoriety and attention.’’

• Like 1