Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

10 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Yep. We have a bunch of guys in the secondary still on rookie deals that may not end up being busts after all if they are placed in the right situations. 

Liking the four guys on Quinn’s staff that’s been announced so far.

It's going to be interesting to see if it's the players or the coaching.

Ron assembled the single worst coaching staff in the NFL last year. Quinn's staff is going to be professional grade.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It's going to be interesting to see if it's the players or the coaching.

Ron assembled the single worst coaching staff in the NFL last year. Quinn's staff is going to be professional grade.  

Yeah, we had Chris Harris on staff who was wanted around the league. Maybe someone can make a case for Turner as he got employed by the Raiders. But all four guys we’ve hired have been wanted by others. Doesn’t seem like the HC and Coordinators are afraid to surround themselves with talented staffs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I watched that yesterday. And I disagree with Tannenbaum. Caleb is the first NIL superstar. he is already a multi millionaire who does Dr. Pepper commercials on every single major NFL broadcast. He could easily tell the Bears to shove it, sit our for a year and reenter the draft next year. 

Agree. However most of the teams picking at the top of the draft are always going to be bad teams. Also if he comes back in next years draft, another team with the top pick could draft him and then trade him similar to what the Chargers did with Giants. So he could sit out another year and the situation might not be any better next year. 

Just some choice passages from the EB wapo article for anyone without a subscription:

"As the season progressed, friction remained. Multiple people said there was often confusion on game days because offensive adjustments were not clearly communicated to players, and assistants didn’t seem to be on the same page. Behind the scenes, some players urged their position coaches to beg Bieniemy to run the ball more. The pass-heavy attack placed an extra burden on the offensive line and the quarterback — and when Washington’s offense did run, it averaged the seventh-most yards per carry in the NFL, 4.43 yards.

“I don't think they gave [Howell] a fair chance,” a player said. “I felt like we became a one-dimensional team.”

Another player blamed Rivera for not forcing Bieniemy to run the ball more or fixing the disconnect between the offensive and defensive staffs.

“We didn’t play complementary football all year long, and that came back to haunt us,” the player said.

Some players felt Bieniemy’s intense practices, though helpful in training camp, left them exhausted before games, and they believed the practices created a greater risk of injury. Bieniemy’s title of assistant head coach gave him greater authority than most coordinators, allowing him to script practices and alter players’ schedules during the week. One player felt Rivera delegated too much and failed to step in or make changes quickly when warranted.

“It was EB’s f---ing team,” another said.

Rivera, who declined to comment for this story, did meet with Bieniemy midway through the season to discuss his approach and suggest the offense run the ball more, a person with knowledge of the meeting said.

The Commanders opened the season with two wins, and many players said they welcomed Bieniemy’s changes, especially early on.

“The idea that people were rejecting any sort of change at all is just stupid,” one player said. “ … We needed to have some change.”

But Washington lost its next three games, a stretch that culminated in a 40-20 loss to the previously winless Chicago Bears at FedEx Field. Facing a massive early deficit, Bieniemy called 53 consecutive passes in that game. Howell was hit 11 times and took five sacks. Several players saw that moment as a turning point.

Two weeks later, the New York Giants used blitzes and man-to-man coverage to beat up Howell, who took six more sacks and 12 hits. McLaurin, who almost never critiques coaching decisions or play calls, said he thought the Commanders could’ve countered better."

[...] 

"After the season, when it had become clear Bieniemy’s time with the Commanders was ending, the team gave him permission to speak with Chiefs players ahead of the AFC championship game." 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/02/08/eric-bieniemy-commanders-what-happened/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Brian Johnson is a great hire. He was the QB and WRs coach for the Eagles in 2021 and 2022, when their QB and WRs developed great and took them to a SB. He earned a promotion to OC for 2023 and was given play calling duties. They went 10-1, then stuff fell apart and both the OC (Johnson) and DC were fired. Johnsons play calling was questioned, but his development of the WRs and Jalen Hurts earned him the promotion. He won't be calling plays here but will be tasked with the QBs and WRs. So, again, great hire.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

We now have Pass Game Coordinators on both sides of the ball: Brian Johnson on offense and Jason Simmons on defense.

I wonder whether we'll hire Run Game Coordinators as well, or whether any of the position coaches will get that title like RGC/LB coach or RGC/OL coach?

I kinda hope we keep the current run game coordinators in place.  Always thought they did a good job and couldn't help it that the last OC didn't wanna run the ball.

17 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Yeah, we had Chris Harris on staff who was wanted around the league. Maybe someone can make a case for Turner as he got employed by the Raiders. But all four guys we’ve hired have been wanted by others. Doesn’t seem like the HC and Coordinators are afraid to surround themselves with talented staffs.

Turner is going to be a reasonably good offensive assistant for years, but he doesn't have the talent his dad did.  He also wasn't on the staff last year.

Chris Harris also wasn't on the staff last year.

The only 2 guys I've heard anything good about who were on the staff last year were Bobby Engram: WR, and Randy Jordan: RB.  I guess Ryan Kerrigan also as an assistant DL coach.  

I wouldn't be shocked if either or both of those stuck around.

I am somewhat surprised the rest of the folks haven't been released yet.  I get that it takes some time, but I would have figured they would have just changed the locks on a lot of these guys by now.  

19 minutes ago, sinews said:

Some players felt Bieniemy’s intense practices, though helpful in training camp, left them exhausted before games, and they believed the practices created a greater risk of injury. Bieniemy’s title of assistant head coach gave him greater authority than most coordinators, allowing him to script practices and alter players’ schedules during the week. One player felt Rivera delegated too much and failed to step in or make changes quickly when warranted.

Frankly, this part of the article makes me think, "then get in better shape."  I am willing to bet EB wasn't doing anything that different than what the Chiefs do.  The Chiefs are in the SB AGAIN.  Granted, Mahomes, yeah, I get it. However, EB was imitating Reid as much as he could.  

This particular part of the story makes the players look soft.  

The rest is a really bad look for EB.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm very excited to see what Kliffy brings to the offense.  In one of the season with the Cards, they accumulated the 11th most rushing attempts in the NFL.  So, most likely, it's not going to be a true chuck and duck type of system.

Part of the reason for those high rushing attempts was having a QB who was a 1first read, check down then run QB. Murray inflated the rushing attempts number - especially in 2020 (which I assume is the year you are talking about) when he had 130 odd rushing attempts for over 800 yards rushing.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What EB just never figured out, and granted, it's hard, was when to run and how to mix run and pass. 

I mean - thats kind of the job description of an OC/play caller. It is hard - but thats why they get paid big bucks and the good ones get a fast track to HC gigs.

I love the smell of avoiding the Chip Kellys of the world and hiring competent assistant coaches in the afternoon. 

rg8u3apf.jpg.80eb9ef2f36c503d841333ed5ba5346c.jpg

Love the new hires.

Really love bringing in another offensive guy with ties to working with young and developing QBs. keep 'em coming

awesome-sauce.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Turner is going to be a reasonably good offensive assistant for years, but he doesn't have the talent his dad did.  He also wasn't on the staff last year.

Chris Harris also wasn't on the staff last year.

The only 2 guys I've heard anything good about who were on the staff last year were Bobby Engram: WR, and Randy Jordan: RB.  I guess Ryan Kerrigan also as an assistant DL coach.  

I wouldn't be shocked if either or both of those stuck around.

I am somewhat surprised the rest of the folks haven't been released yet.  I get that it takes some time, but I would have figured they would have just changed the locks on a lot of these guys by now.  

Frankly, this part of the article makes me think, "then get in better shape."  I am willing to bet EB wasn't doing anything that different than what the Chiefs do.  The Chiefs are in the SB AGAIN.  Granted, Mahomes, yeah, I get it. However, EB was imitating Reid as much as he could.  

This particular part of the story makes the players look soft.  

The rest is a really bad look for EB.

I know that Turner and Harris weren’t there. I’m talking about the entire Rivera tenure. One guy (Harris) who was wanted by other teams. Another guy (Turner) who is employable. Who else in the four years went on somewhere else? Never heard about Del Rio getting an interview this cycle. The Dline coach that was fired preseason 2022, I don’t think he has an NFL job.

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I love the smell of avoiding the Chip Kellys of the world and hiring competent assistant coaches in the afternoon. 

rg8u3apf.jpg.80eb9ef2f36c503d841333ed5ba5346c.jpg

Love the new hires.

Really love bringing in another offensive guy with ties to working with young and developing QBs. keep 'em coming

awesome-sauce.

guess nobody gets smoothies. chip had em all ready

image.thumb.jpeg.4a7379d6dca4a1b01e40e05bece69a38.jpeg

1 hour ago, sinews said:

Just some choice passages from the EB wapo article for anyone without a subscription:

"As the season progressed, friction remained. Multiple people said there was often confusion on game days because offensive adjustments were not clearly communicated to players, and assistants didn’t seem to be on the same page. Behind the scenes, some players urged their position coaches to beg Bieniemy to run the ball more. The pass-heavy attack placed an extra burden on the offensive line and the quarterback — and when Washington’s offense did run, it averaged the seventh-most yards per carry in the NFL, 4.43 yards.

“I don't think they gave [Howell] a fair chance,” a player said. “I felt like we became a one-dimensional team.”

Another player blamed Rivera for not forcing Bieniemy to run the ball more or fixing the disconnect between the offensive and defensive staffs.

“We didn’t play complementary football all year long, and that came back to haunt us,” the player said.

“It was EB’s f---ing team,” another said.

Rivera, who declined to comment for this story, did meet with Bieniemy midway through the season to discuss his approach and suggest the offense run the ball more, a person with knowledge of the meeting said.

The Commanders opened the season with two wins, and many players said they welcomed Bieniemy’s changes, especially early on.

“The idea that people were rejecting any sort of change at all is just stupid,” one player said. “ … We needed to have some change.”

But Washington lost its next three games, a stretch that culminated in a 40-20 loss to the previously winless Chicago Bears at FedEx Field. Facing a massive early deficit, Bieniemy called 53 consecutive passes in that game. Howell was hit 11 times and took five sacks. Several players saw that moment as a turning point.

Two weeks later, the New York Giants used blitzes and man-to-man coverage to beat up Howell, who took six more sacks and 12 hits. McLaurin, who almost never critiques coaching decisions or play calls, said he thought the Commanders could’ve countered better."

[...] 

"After the season, when it had become clear Bieniemy’s time with the Commanders was ending, the team gave him permission to speak with Chiefs players ahead of the AFC championship game." 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/02/08/eric-bieniemy-commanders-what-happened/

I think that article was co-authored by @Koolblue13?

I'll add a little

...Other players, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal team dynamics, described Bieniemy as a hard-working coach who hamstrung his own efforts with poor communication, stubborn play-calling and a disregard for player feedback.

...“When teams are blitzing like that, it leaves one-on-one opportunities, and I felt like we got to that late,” he said. “Hopefully going forward we just get to it a little earlier and give us chances to make plays down the field.”

Even though their offense was explosive at times early in the year, the Commanders had a perplexing inability to consistently involve their playmakers. In a December loss to the Miami Dolphins, McLaurin didn’t have a single catch for just the second time in his career.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, illone said:

It's also about putting yourself in the best possible situation to win, and get to your 2nd contract. The Bears are a unique opportunity in that the franchises best QB was back in the 40's, but have never in franchise history had a passer eclipse 4,000 passing yards in a single season. That team just isnt QB friendly at all. Plus it appears the head coach is on thin ice.

Too many red flags in my mind so I think I have to disagree with you. Football is tough enough on the field, I dont need to make it even tougher just because I want to taste danger...

I agree to disagree ;) not trying to convince you, just explaining my opinion fwiw.

I question his mentality, remember him crying on the sideline and saying he wants to go back home to cuddle his dog. See how Howell and Burrow managed the beatings they took, I don't mean to put him in the same situations of course. He's got to feel and learn asap that NFL isn't college, his mom is not going to be on the sideline. I don't think putting him in a comfort zone will help him either. It's a question of balance between the both, I believe he needs a little bit more an ass kicking training than cuddling, to mature. I'm not a fan of him, but I wish him good luck anyway.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

...“When teams are blitzing like that, it leaves one-on-one opportunities, and I felt like we got to that late,” he said. “Hopefully going forward we just get to it a little earlier and give us chances to make plays down the field.”

Hell, I recall posting about that real time during the game-day thread on that first Giants game. The failure to adjust to what the Giants were doing was egregious and frankly baffling. That offensive game plan and play calling was Jim Zorn level bad. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

One of my favorite concepts I learned in business school (maybe the only useful concept I used in business school?) was the Peter Principle. 

@London Kev if you're getting sick of all the Johnson talk, how about a side of peter principle.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I agree to disagree ;) not trying to convince you, just explaining my opinion fwiw.

I question his mentality, remember him crying on the sideline in his mom's arms and saying he wants to go back home to cuddle his dog. See how Howell and Burrow managed the beatings they took, I don't mean to put him in the same situations of course, but he's got to feel and learn asap that NFL isn't college. I don't think putting him in a comfort zone will help him either. It's a question of balance between the both, I believe he needs a little bit more ass kicking training than cuddling to mature.

Your entire coddling or cuddling or comfort zone argument is a straw man fallacy.

Crying on the sidelines was definitely weird, but I think it also mischaracterizes him as soft. Everyone got to see Mahomes have world largest hissy fit on the sidelines this season after a subjectively bad call in the Buffalo game...  Would you pass on Mahomes if you saw him do that pre-draft?

It's all good, Im not trying to convince you either, it's just a weird hill to die on that you'd pass on a player because he potentially wants to put himself in the best scheme or best situation for his own success in the same way that Eli or Elway did. ironically it worked well for both of those players...

27 minutes ago, illone said:

Crying on the sidelines was definitely weird, but I think it also mischaracterizes him as soft. Everyone got to see Mahomes have world largest hissy fit on the sidelines this season after a subjectively bad call in the Buffalo game...  Would you pass on Mahomes if you saw him do that pre-draft?

It's all good, Im not trying to convince you either, it's just a weird hill to die on that you'd pass on a player because he potentially wants to put himself in the best scheme or best situation for his own success in the same way that Eli or Elway did. ironically it worked well for both of those players...

Were talking about a college player here not a pro like Mahomes. That's not about he, himself, to decide what's best for him either.

I'll pass on him not only because of his immaturity but also because of his diva attitude.

You can be the most gifted player and ruin you're career because you're immature and act like a diva like so many before. Some people will never get it. On the other hand you can be above average and outperform because you've got the right mindset (Purdy). Time might prove me wrong but I see Cam Newton here.

Spencer Rattler's Trials, Triumphs and Transformations

On and off the field, Rattler's growth in maturity became increasingly apparent. His interactions with teammates, conduct during high-pressure game situations, and response to adversity all pointed to a young man learning and evolving in real-time.

Edited by FrFan

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think that article was co-authored by @Koolblue13?

I'll add a little

...Other players, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal team dynamics, described Bieniemy as a hard-working coach who hamstrung his own efforts with poor communication, stubborn play-calling and a disregard for player feedback.

Even though their offense was explosive at times early in the year, the Commanders had a perplexing inability to consistently involve their playmakers. In a December loss to the Miami Dolphins, McLaurin didn’t have a single catch for just the second time in his career.

i blame Sam for that more than anyone.

• Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

i blame Sam for that more than anyone.

So, you disagree with all the players? All the commentators who called all that stuff out during games? 

Did EB get a lot of interviews for HC, OC, RB coach? No? 

Shocking.

Loud mouth post turtle who was absolutely clueless during games and all week long. 

But sure, it's all on Howell. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 4

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

So, you disagree with all the players? All the commentators who called all that stuff out during games? 

Did EB get a lot of interviews for HC, OC, RB coach? No? 

Shocking.

Loud mouth post turtle who was absolutely clueless during games and all week long. 

But sure, it's all on Howell. 

you are mean!