Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Chris Russell on The Junkies just said a Cowboys insider came up to him after the last Commanders/Cowboys game and said Quinn wants your teams HC job really bad.

Nice to have guys that want to be here for more than money.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

The complete breakdown of this process should be a caution for Johnson because it proves that these people talk to each other and any potential future opportunities could be severely impacted by his conduct during this cycle. 

I think some teams would be willing to give him a shot but I seriously doubt that it will be the golden option he's holding out for. 

At the end of the day I think that we've landed on the right person even after I wanted nothing to do with Quinn when he was first named lol.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

Chris Russell on The Junkies just said a Cowboys insider came up to him after the last Commanders/Cowboys game and said Quinn wants your teams HC job really bad.

There is talent on this defense. I bet he's salivating at what he can do with guys like Davis, St. Juste, and Forbes. 

I think our D is gonna surprise a lot of people this year. Don't be shocked if it's a top-15 unit. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Thanks for sharing.

So Harris and Myers were only in the room for an hour during the first round of candidate interviews, while Peters, Mayhew, and Spielman led the process.  And this was enough to spook Ben Johnson that we had know-nothing basketball running the team.

I've tried to be charitable to him since I had talked myself into thinking he'd be a great coach here, but that guy conducted himself like a pure, unadulterated clown.  It sounds like the top three candidates in the process were MacDonald, Quinn, and Morris.  Morris gave the team a chance to match Atlanta's offer and they essentially told him to take the ATL job as they were still waiting for second interviews on Quinn and the Detroit and Baltimore candidates.  He does and Johnson pulled out of the search, so they ended up settling between MacDonald and Quinn.  Then Seattle makes the decision for them by hiring MacDonald.

I'm glad it worked out the way that it did.  I think Quinn will end up being a better fit here than MacDonald would have been.  Sounds like MacDonald was a great candidate too, but I didn't have a lot of FOMO with him because his lack of experience made me uncomfortable.  I think it was important that our FO conducted this search via a consistent and fair process, and that Peters identified the candidate that he most wanted to work together with.  And I think it's very important that Quinn demonstrated an authentic passion for being here.  This is the kind of job you have to want to do more than anything else in your life.

It's also cool that Belichick and Shanahan rubber stamped the hiring of Quinn to Peters when he reached out to them for advice.  They think he's a great coach, and they would know.

I love that this is the job he wanted.  Just like Peters wanted this job. 

He's turned down past coaching opportunities.   Chris Russell said he heard directly from someone who works in Dallas right when the season was over (I gather at that last game) that they know that Quinn really really wants the Washington job.

Him really wanting the job and being uber prepared and enthusiastic for this job was evident from that article but also for the few leaks that happened in the process.  I kept posting on this thread that Keim and Sheehan said Quinn was the one who killed the interviews and is a serious candidate.   Keim kept saying among the candidates for this job, Quinn got the most praise around the league when he asked about them.  Schefter in a different way said something similar.

Love the combination on defense of Quinn ( D line guru) and Whitt (secondary guru).  The draft and FA thread is going to be more fun imagining what they'd want to do.  I'd say almost for certain they will sign someone like Huff or Hunter or whomever in FA.   And maybe a LB with some rushing chops like Queen or Frankie Luvu.

He seems to like having a centerfield type traditional FS.  I got to think about that some.  My fav on that FA thread has been McKinney.

But in short I dont think this defense will suck next season.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hoffman talked about this last week.  Knowing what he's heard about both coaches.  Quinn is very self aware and is always evolving.  Changing his scheme, changing his approach as the NFL changes.   Rivera on the other hand seems stuck in the past and isnt the most self aware dude.

Sounds like we got what people (including me) perceive they want in a younger dude—just in an older dude’s packaging with the experience that goes along with that. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

It's settling in for me what a great and impactful hire Peters was.  Not that I didn't think we hit a home run there from the start, but I didn't realize how important his connections around the league would already be.  The brightest minds in the game will take his call and give him advice on important decisions, and he can work with so many different people.

It feels like we built the foundation of something real this time.  Something durable.  This feels good.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The funny thing about the Kingsbury/Williams connection is the assumption that Kingsbury automatically wants to continue coaching him.  Or that Williams is pro-Kingsbury.  I work with a whole bunch of people that are good at their jobs, doesnt mean I wanna keep working with them if I don't have to.  lol

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, justice98 said:

The funny thing about the Kingsbury/Williams connection is the assumption that Kingsbury automatically wants to continue coaching him.  Or that Williams is pro-Kingsbury.

I totally agree, ppl are connecting the (apparent) dots but I think any of the QB’s Maye, Daniels even a trade for Fields could do very well under KK… time will tell, I’m just hoping we don’t trade up 1 spot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hoffman talked about this last week.  Knowing what he's heard about both coaches.  Quinn is very self aware and is always evolving.  Changing his scheme, changing his approach as the NFL changes.   Rivera on the other hand seems stuck in the past and isnt the most self aware dude.

This is the single biggest thing that I've taken into account after my initial dissatisfaction over the hiring, and it has turned me much more positive. I think more often than not people are like Rivera, so the initial comparison is easy to make. However reading that he hired a group to figure out exactly what he did wrong in Atlanta, and how he is always keeping an eye out on how to improve and get an edge, is very encouraging. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

The funny thing about the Kingsbury/Williams connection is the assumption that Kingsbury automatically wants to continue coaching him.  Or that Williams is pro-Kingsbury.

Yeah. I have no idea how he feels about the QBs in the draft. Could make an argument for all 3. I actually thought he may push for Baker Mayfield and develop Howell. That would not be my preference, though.

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It's settling in for me what a great and impactful hire Peters was.  Not that I didn't think we hit a home run there from the start, but I didn't realize how important his connections around the league would already be.  The brightest minds in the game will take his call and give him advice on important decisions, and he can work with so many different people.

It feels like we built the foundation of something real this time.  Something durable.  This feels good.

And we haven't even tapped into what should probably be his biggest area of expertise yet, which is scouting.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I love that this is the job he wanted.  Just like Peters wanted this job. 

He's turned down past coaching opportunities.   Chris Russell said he heard directly from someone who works in Dallas right when the season was over (I gather at that last game) that they know that Quinn really really wants the Washington job.

Him really wanting the job and being uber prepared and enthusiastic for this job was evident from that article but also for the few leaks that happened in the process.  I kept posting on this thread that Keim and Sheehan said Quinn was the one who killed the interviews and is a serious candidate.   Keim kept saying among the candidates for this job, Quinn got the most praise around the league when he asked about them.  Schefter in a different way said something similar.

Love the combination on defense of Quinn ( D line guru) and Whitt (secondary guru).  The draft and FA thread is going to be more fun imagining what they'd want to do.  I'd say almost for certain they will sign someone lioke Huff or Hunter or whomever in FA.   And maybe a LB with some rushing chops like Queen or Frankie Luvu.

He seems to like having a centerfield type traditional FS.  I got to think about that some.  My fav on that FA thread has been McKinney.

But in short I dont think this defense will suck next season.

I too was thinking McKinney should be a high priority player for them along with a guy like Huff and Luvu. I'd think Quan is going to be a key player for them.

Whatever direction they move in I'd say we see significant improvements on the defensive side of the ball. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There is talent on this defense. I bet he's salivating at what he can do with guys like Davis, St. Juste, and Forbes. 

I think our D is gonna surprise a lot of people this year. Don't be shocked if it's a top-15 unit. 

This is an excellent point. All of the players have flashed at times. I think we can expect to see the best versions of all of them with superior coaching and scheme. And if they can develop Forbes, that’s like an extra pick.

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The funny thing about the Kingsbury/Williams connection is the assumption that Kingsbury automatically wants to continue coaching him.  Or that Williams is pro-Kingsbury.  I work with a whole bunch of people that are good at their jobs, doesnt mean I wanna keep working with them if I don't have to.  lol

Yeah, the assumption that the Williams and KK connection is going to be a primary driver of their draft strategy seems like a lazy take, but I get why it's brought up. If nothing else, KK should be able to provide very robust intel on Caleb Williams which will be invaluable.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Trojan Horse. We’re doomed.

23 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

The complete breakdown of this process should be a caution for Johnson because it proves that these people talk to each other and any potential future opportunities could be severely impacted by his conduct during this cycle. 

I think some teams would be willing to give him a shot but I seriously doubt that it will be the golden option he's holding out for. 

At the end of the day I think that we've landed on the right person even after I wanted nothing to do with Quinn when he was first named lol.

If the Bears fire their coach next year, they probably wouldn’t hesitate to hire Ben Johnson if he continues to be a successful OC during the 2024 season.

25 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Tell Chris the guy with the Gatorade bottle during timeouts doesn't count.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Yeah. I have no idea how he feels about the QBs in the draft. Could make an argument for all 3. I actually thought he may push for Baker Mayfield and develop Howell. That would not be my preference, though.

Folks we are a team without a franchise QB picking #2 overall in a draft with 3 blue chip QB prospects. 

We are drafting a QB with that #2 pick - and slim chance with the #1 overall after a trade up. 

• Like 6

Listened to Keim's podcast.

Irony of it is it felt like Drake Maye if I had to tie a QB to a hire might be the most connected.

Kliff Kingsbury and Phil Longo are tight.   Longo was Howell's coach and Maye coach when Maye had his best year.

Longo's offense is very similar to Klingsbury and Keim text'd Longo and asked about that and Longo texted back the two offenses are very alike and the hire "should be very exciting"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, klwilkins1977 said:

Why wouldn't the new regime at least kick the tires and see if there's some tread left?

Because we have the 2nd pick in the draft. And have an opportunity to upgrade the position immensely. If we were picking at like 15 or something similar sure. Kick the tires on Howell. We arent and we wont though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Keim also seemed skeptical about a trade with the Bears.  Of course he didn't know one way or another.  But he knows this is a FO that wants to use the draft so he wondered if they'd trade a bunch of picks from the jump.  Plus would the Bears even trade?

He talked about the run game. And he heard Quinn does like to run the ball.  He wondered if Kingsbury would dig the style of our current RBs.  I read somewhere else that he likes pass catching backs -- I presume speed guys.  I watched an interview with Peter King said he interviewed Klingsbury once and he told King the run game is the key to the offense so it is a position he values.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1