Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

I don't know anything about this Raiders guy but he says that the reasons KK left their team was because he wanted a 3 yr deal and was only offerred two, not enough bucks and because he really wants to coach Williams. 

I sure hope Washington didn't promise to do whatever it takes go draft Williams in order for  him to take the job. Other than that I could see the money and 3 year deal being no problem for Washington.

The Raiders are now apparently looking at EB as their OC to replace Kingsbury.

Edited by SonnySideUp

4 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

I dont see Maye being a viable option at this point.

It's not up to any of us, but I personally think Jayden Daniels is the guy. He has immense talent, is very capable of running Kingsbury's offense and (probably) won't require any extra draft capital. 

I'm also a firm believer in momentum. He is riding a high right now coming off his best year as a passer and I think it's important to use that confidence as fuel to drive him in his first year under Kingsbury.

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Okay so now that we have our HC and coordinators, here’s my “grades”

Quinn: C

Kingbury: C+
Whitt: B-

Everything is… fine. I can’t say I’m excited about any of it. But I’m not mad.

Just kind of indifferent. Like I have been. 

image.gif.cd199849f717f89ad9194c2398bc6e6c.gif

:P

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Black Market Bully said:

We aren’t taking your cousin, Drake. Kingsbury + Daniels moves the needle. Maye will be lucky to get picked top 5. Thankfully, it won’t be this franchise.

Yeah, most seem to think that a true dual threat QB is best for his system. We'll see though 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Jesus H Tap Dancing Christ....at least give us Love American Style theme.   LOL

I'm laughing so hard, Rabid.  Let me try and do you one better.  Doe this work?  

12 minutes ago, Black Market Bully said:

We aren’t taking your cousin, Drake. Kingsbury + Daniels moves the needle. Maye will be lucky to get picked top 5. Thankfully, it won’t be this franchise.

and Drake Maye!  

32 minutes ago, RWJ said:

He doesn't have to because Quinn who wanted Kliff as soon as he became available, told Adam that Drake Maye was his guy at QB.  Just my opinion.  

What the **** are you talking about and what does it have to do with what you responded to

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Well Williams and Maye both played in the air raid in College. So did Howell. Its a pretty common College offense so lots of players around the league will be familiar with the terminology.

That's good. Who's currently running the numbered system in the NFL right now? 

I remember Logan Paulsen breaking down the difference why he thought WCO was superior to numbered system and it was eye opening. To be fair, offensive & defensive systems evolve everyday so I do hope this works out. 

What is the hardest position to play on the offensive line in the Air Raid Offense?

Other than quarterback, the hardest position to play is Left Tackle. Others have covered it, but if you notice a lot of good teams they have a stellar left tackle. They have to be quick and strong to block some of the best pass rushers in the NFL.
Edited by RWJ
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, RWJ said:
What is the hardest position to play on the offensive line?

Other than quarterback, the hardest position to play is Left Tackle. Others have covered it, but if you notice a lot of good teams they have a stellar left tackle. They have to be quick and strong to block some of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

Left tackle is not that cerebral of a position. You need athletic ability plus use leverage stance etc. Nothing is as difficult as QB and in most systems the hardest position on the o line is center. Particularly for teams where the center calls the line protections. 

• Thumb up 1

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

Think Adam may be drunk

We must have hired our QB coach from the 9ers or Chiefs and he hasn't posted it yet. 

1 minute ago, gooseneck said:

Is that a hot water tank and HVAC behind this young fella?  

1 minute ago, RWJ said:
What is the hardest position to play on the offensive line?

Ahhhh So this is why you see left tackles being drafted early and why top free agent left tackles land huge contracts. Very interesting insight. Thank you

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Good read, snippets from the article.  It's the offense that Howell and Maye were in down at NC.

Here's a crazy thought. :) 

Howell's already ran this offense & is still on a rookie deal. 

What if KK thinks he can fix Howell & they don't go QB at #2 because Curtis Samuel's contract voids five days after the 2023 league year Super Bowl.

Hello Marvin Harrison Jr at #2. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I do think there’s a ton of smoke / coincidence building here…

• We hire the GM candidate who was willing to give away major assets to trade up for Trey Lance. He was reportedly enamored with Lance as a prospect.
  • Ben Johnson (a perfect fit for Drake Maye) puts out his spin saying Washington’s ownership is full of basketball guys who basically think they’re smarter than they are. Did we indicate we weren’t high on Maye and was that what truly changed Johnson’s mind about coming here?
  • Caleb’s team puts out additional smoke they don’t want him to play in Chicago 
  • Kingsbury backs out of his agreement with the Raiders for a chance to come here
  • We hire Kingsbury, which is self-explanatory 

I don’t know.  A lot of this is just based on speculation, but I would now be a lot less shocked if we traded up to #1 than I would have been even a few days ago. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Left tackle is not that cerebral of a position. You need athletic ability plus use leverage stance etc. Nothing is as difficult as QB and in most systems the hardest position on the o line is center. Particularly for teams where the center calls the line protections. 

Agree. Especially in a shotgun heavy offense. Need to be accurate snapping the ball as well. 

• Thumb up 1

This was written by a Bears reporter when they thought that was the target for OC but some interesting stuff here.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/fiction-and-non-fiction-on-kliff-kingsbury-offense

Fiction and Non-Fiction on NFL's Air Raid

Kliff Kingsbury adapted the Air Raid Offense for the NFL and if he brought it to Chicago as offensive coordinator it would require changes to be made.

Kingsbury is associated with what some consider a wide-open, gimmicky style of attack known as the Air Raid offense. There are many myths about the offensive style, but what he ran in the NFL was different than the old Air Raid.

It's really not that gimmicky and the way Kingsbury modified it for the NFL, it sometimes looks like any other modern spread style of attack in many ways.

Kingsbury had actually modified it while coaching Texas Tech when his QB was Patrick Mahomes so that it was more pro-oriented.

The goal of the offense is to spread out the defenders and get the quarterback to face man-to-man coverage while picking out favorable matchups.

One of the key tools in the passing game is the shallow cross with receivers running underneath zones or beating man coverage short as they run cross routes a few yards past the line of scrimmage.

If they're facing zone, there are specific ways to attack this with the passing game as well. It's known for an ability to attack cover-2 zone as well as man coverage.

Here are myths and realities about the Kingsbury offense, a pro version of Air Raid.

Myth: Teams Using This Offense Don't Run the Ball

Reality: The Cardinals did run the ball plenty.

Arizona ranked 19th in rushing attempts wth 396 the first year Kingsbury used the offense. They had been 28th in attempts the year before he arrived.. He adjusted the offense and also personnel improved to fit the attack more for the NFL by Year 2, the 2020 season. They ran the ball the sixth-most times in the league (479) then. In 2021 they ran it the seventh-most times (496).

Myth: Air Raid Teams Might Try But Can't Run

Reality: When the Cardinals were sixth in attempts they were seventh in yards rushing with 2,237 in 2020. When they were seventh in attempts in 2021 they were 10th in yards rushing. The effectiveness of their rushing attempts depended more on personnel. The year before they switched to Kingsbury's offense, the Cardinals were last in rushing.

Myth: Air-Raid Running Backs Are Useless

Reality: Actually, if you're not versatile in the Air Raid and you're a running back then you are useless. The back becomes a receiver or blocker even more often than in a conventional attack. They can split out to a wide receiver spot or run routes out of the backfield.

Myth: Tight Ends Really Are Useless in the Air Raid

Reality: Hardly.

The assumption is they'd be running four-receiver or five-receiver sets all the time. That might be true often but one of those receivers could be the tight end. In Luke Getsy's two seasons with the Bears offense, they targeted tight ends 82 times and 112 times. When Kingsbury took over, the Cardinals threw to tight ends only 56 times in 2019. That had more to do with their personnel than the position. The tight ends were Charles Clay, Maxx Williams, Dan Arnold and Darrell Daniels. They got Zach Ertz and after that threw it a total of 115, 108 and 86 times to tight ends in three seasons.

Myth: Offensive Linemen Must Be Wide Bodies as Pass Blockers

Reality: Being big can be important. They do need to move, though. There is double-teaming, a power-blocking scheme. There just isn't the wide run to the outside all the time with linemen taking the bucket step and then sliding down the line of scrimmage. All the running comes between the A-gap or the back choosing to cut off that to the B-gap. It's more between the tackles and not much time for moving linemen around.

• Like 5