Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

50 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what was said after the Rivera hire.

He was a straight-up, tell you where you stand, military background…. leadership style. He was a culture setter… which is why Dan had to cede full control and created a coach-centric model… because that was the only way to attract the quality of coach Rivera was sold to be.

He hired JDR… who was a highly regarded former DC… who said he was going to come in here and simplify schemes so the players could use their physical strengths and play fast.

And everybody was happy.

Until the games started.

download(21).jpeg.2e83f3d535c6500e818c41dac74d798b.jpeg

• Haha 5

Rivera and Quinn are entirely different circumstances. Agreed. They are not the same.

But the same things were said. “Leader of Men, Proven Winner, Strong background”

There are absolutely parallels. That doesn’t doom Quinn to the same fate as Rivera. Rivera had a much larger obstacle: Dan Snyder. 

We’ll see how it plays out. But there are undeniable similarities and differences.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Anyone think Belichik lands at an NFL team in a FO advisory position….

I don't think so.

Belichick's success was contingent upon two factors:

1. Having absolute, unyielding control of the environment

2. Having a strong QB

As an advisor, he'd be able to issue recommendations and guidance, but not forcefully implement them by himself. That wouldn't work. At most, I can see some owners/gms bringing him in and taking some of his ideas and suggestions, and distilling them to more palatable forms for today's players, FO, and coaches to digest, and that's never been successful because it's been attempted in the past by his lukewarm disciples on other teams. There's also the matter of job security, and if he's perceived by colleagues as merely an outside consultant, not someone with real and constant operational authority with the power to decide their fate, the brand of fear he so ruthlessly and effectively promoted in New England would be nonexistent.

I wasn't happy about the Quinn hire but I have no right to feel that way.  In my mind "28-3" is the reason I feel that way but guess what?  When I knew he was the DC for the LOB I wanted him as HC of our team.  He goes on to have a mediocre stint with ATL but guess what?  He's had the most success with that organization out of anyone as of late, he took the team to a SB and for most of that game had the upper hand on TB12 and BB.  

If he can do that, or even something close with us... and we get good a good OC I think we will be MUCH improved which is what I'm aiming for at this point.

• Like 2

For those that liken this to hiring Ron, even down to the sentiment that he’s a “culture builder” “leader of men” on down the line.

To them I say this and I know it will be unpopular, Ron’s tenure here likely ends up a lot different had he not been given all the power.  All that power was his worst enemy and he didn’t even know it.  I understand why he asked for it, but he had no business having it.

He surrounded himself with comfort hires, and a lot of the same folks that got him fired in Carolina.  He had no business running personnel and trying to wear so many hats here.  It’s the primary reason (besides Dan) he left here a shell of himself, and us with shell of a roster.

That’s not going to happen with Quinn who has been employed solely to coach the football team, and work in partnership with a guy unanimously heralded as the brightest young mind on the market.

Way more important than Quinn himself, is who he hires to develop our 2nd pick in the draft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Rivera and Quinn are entirely different circumstances. Agreed. They are not the same.

But the same things were said. “Leader of Men, Proven Winner, Strong background”

There are absolutely parallels. That doesn’t doom Quinn to the same fate as Rivera. Rivera had a much larger obstacle: Dan Snyder. 

We’ll see how it plays out. But there are undeniable similarities and differences.

Rivera's brand of leadership and discipline were exposed when he was quiet during the whole Snyder fiasco despite mounting evidence of his owner's indiscretions against those without the power/voice to stop him, and his lack of accountability in explaining this season's results, especially as they pertain to the QB position. For the former, he might dress it in the veneer of "loyalty" to someone who gave him a job, but that further exposes his ignorance of the term despite his seemingly fanatical reverence for the military. 

Edited by BurgundyBooger

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But aren't these things more like clichés nowadays? I'm sure the same gets said about a lot of coaches and candidates for coaching. In any case, they don't strike me as particularly substantive–they both need or needed to prove it no matter the situation (safe to say RR had failed by the end). 

In any case, as I think someone pointed out, they're not bad traits, so hopefully we do get all that in some form. 

The parallels are there but it seems to me they exist in outward appearance only, or at least at this early stage. 

Just now, BurgundyBooger said:

Rivera's brand of leadership and discipline were exposed when he was quiet during the whole Snyder fiasco despite mounting evidence of his owner's indiscretions against those without the power/voice to stop him, and his lack of accountability in explaining this season's results, especially as they pertain to the QB position.

Okay.

I agree (in part).

But there's nothing saying that the same won't happen under Quinn. Or, for that matter, that it will. Of course, the Snyder element is removed, but the potential for exposure for brand of leadership and discipline exists in his case, too.

For what it's worth: I am not a big fan of the Dan Quinn hire. I am indifferent, slightly negative tilt but mostly indifferent and believe that his fate is tied to his hires moreso than himself.

Also, for what it's worth: I don't think he has the same issues as Rivera.

But Rivera was only exposed to US while on the job (Carolina fans knew differently). We'll see what happens with Quinn. 

1 minute ago, sinews said:

But aren't these things more like clichés nowadays? 

Precisely. 

Just now, BurgundyBooger said:

Rivera's brand of leadership and discipline were exposed when he was quiet during the whole Snyder fiasco despite mounting evidence of his owner's indiscretions against those without the power/voice to stop him, and his lack of accountability in explaining this season's results, especially as they pertain to the QB position.

In fairness, I don't think he was quiet. He fired everybody named in those reports that he could fire.

The rest of it regarding the last season, yeah, definitely.

3 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Rivera came from a military family, so I'm not surprised he just shut up and kept his head down. Having been in the military myself, it's sad how often incompetence in the higher ranks is tolerated by those below them.

38 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

And that's a bad thing? Carroll is an excellent coach. He has a 137-89-1 record in 14 seasons in Seattle that is the best in franchise history. He went 10-9 in playoff games, the most playoff appearances (10) and playoff wins in franchise history.

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Watch our for Donner and Dancer!  

Check my avatar, that's my Dancer! Not named after the reindeer, cute nonetheless!

Edited to add: and she's wearing a Redskins shirt!

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Rivera came from a military family, so I'm not surprised he just shut up and kept his head down. Having been in the military myself, it's sad how often incompetence in the higher ranks is tolerated by those below them.

Military is a little different. Dissent and you will find your ass in Leavenworth. You also cant just quit and walk away.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

And that's a bad thing? Carroll is an excellent coach. He has a 137-89-1 record in 14 seasons in Seattle that is the best in franchise history. He went 10-9 in playoff games, the most playoff appearances (10) and playoff wins in franchise history.

Amen!!! If Quinn is anything close to Carroll I'll take it.  

13 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

If Quinn can produce similar results,  I'd be happy we are taking the right step as an organization and the foundation will be laid for future success.  

4 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

If Quinn can produce similar results,  I'd be happy we are taking the right step as an organization and the foundation will be laid for future success.  

Gotta get it right with the staff and QB, if he can do that,  we'll be off to a great start.......Then once we do that we have to figure out how to keep them in house 

13 hours ago, VRIEL1 said:

I'm ok with Chip Kelly. I love his offensive scheme. I have always had one problem with it and that is the offense constantly scoring to fast and the defense getting wore down. So Chip needs to learn how to take his his time on the field, just get enough for a first down, but have the ability to go up tempo and score fast if we need to if the team falls behind. 

And since Chip Kelly is not a totally insane 60-year-old narcissist, I'm sure he's very capable of radical changes in both his approach and temperament. 

We should get him a service dog.

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Florio also reporting along with Dianna Russini that Belichik was considered for the Commanders Head Coaching job.

They spoke with him and some decision makers supported hiring him.  

He would demand that the GM who hired him be immediately fired.

If he wants Shula's record, he needs to go somewhere next year where he can immediately win 11 games. Dallas beckons.

56 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Anyone think Belichik lands at an NFL team in a FO advisory position….

He won't take a formal job this year with any team. I assume he does one year with a network and then goes to a largely, fully-built team next year. Or retires. Or dies. He's old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One things is becoming somewhat painfully clear....

1. Wash was not this cant miss, amazing, #1 option for Head Coaches (even with Harris and Peters here)

2. HC search seemed to be all over the place and they had to settle for the (at least from what we know now) #3 choice. 

3. Beyond being a  better person... so far, i have not seen much from Harris/ Peters that tells we have a much more apt FO ... i guess time will tell

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

16 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Lynell on 106.7 is going on about how we're used to winning the off-season and isn't it time to try something different. 

I have a question, umm when is the last time our team actually "won the off-season championship"? I'm pretty sure it's over 10 years ago lol.

I tend to expect that from lazy national media types who are using cliche's from the Jetskins, 2000spendarama, the Haynesworth period etc. This team was on a Dollar Store budget ever since RGIII went down. Just weird to hear takes like that. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Is that how you think Super Bowl is spelled?

Grammar Police, arrest this man! His Hitler hair-do is making me feel ill…🙂

Edited by FuriousD
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1