Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Love it.  Harris was honest from the get go.  Leadership from Quinn and letting his DC and OC do their jobs.  A+ from me!  The more we hear, especially from Keim, the more I likey!  😁

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 4

LeaderHOSEn

It kinda sucks the leagues retreads just seem to be among the very few considered for jobs.  Are there really NO college coaches worth a look besides Hardball the cheater?

Quinn's a retread whose defense couldn't stop the run just got gashed and quite frankly embarrassed with respect to expectations of HIM and his defense.

I find solace in knowing Dallas is kicking the tires on Riverboat Retread.

• Thumb down 3

23 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

You can’t put that on the owners…. unless the owners are the ones calling the shots on the coaching staff. I know they’re involved… but are they truly the decision makers? If so, then this is problematic in and of itself, in addition to what you mentioned.

With the structure we’ve been led to believe, hiring the HC is Peters’ role. And he was only hired weeks ago.

With that being said…. you’re an assistant GM… the next step is being a GM. It’s inevitable. You’ve been doing it for awhile, you’re highly regarded in the football community and teams have already shown interest in your services… how do you not have at least 3-5 names on speed dial to hitch your wagon to… in a once in a lifetime opportunity?

Its a people business. It’s all about relationships. That’s why so many people hire others they’ve previously worked with before.

And Peters hasn’t poached anybody yet… or even fired any holdovers yet (Mayhew, Hurney, Wright, etc). All red flags to me.

Yeah, the whole process to me was discouraging from the standpoint that we just interviewed the names the owners had before Peters was close to being part of the process. I'm not buying a massive coincidence that the only people he was interested in happened to be all the people the owners had listed already. So what was it? Did Peters really not have a list of people he wanted to talk to for the job? Or did he just defer to the owners? Or was there someone he was so laser-focused on that he didn't worry about the rest of the interview list?

None of those  answers are particularly encouraging. 

The fact that 5 of the 7 candidates (no, I don't count Bienemy) were on the defensive side of the ball was always worrisome as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

It's still *extremely* early in this process. The current FO personnel people are integral to the scouting and draft process, which is just around the corner. Can't just fire those people just yet. I'm sure some will be gone, others like Mayhew may stay because Peters knows him and maybe they work well together, who knows?

What we don't know is to what extent Mayhew had any say under Rivera, so it's speculative to that any roster or draft moves were his fault directly. He had input, sure, but making final decisions? No, that was all Ron. Pretty sure it's been documented that Mayhew wanted o-line last year but Rivera was high on Forbes. I'm not ready to say Mayhew was the problem, even if he was in the room. I understand why people would want him gone, however. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Did Peters really not have a list of people he wanted to talk to for the job? Or did he just defer to the owners? Or was there someone he was so laser-focused on that he didn't worry about the rest of the interview list?

Peters has never hired a HC before and from the beginning I'm pretty certain it was said that HC would be a brain trust decision, with heavy input from Peters. But it wasn't all on him, never was. I think Harris mentioned this during the press conference. That's why there were 2 or 3 candidates at the top of the list and not a clear 1,2,3 (we don't know the exact details here). Keim reported that some in the room like one candidate over another and vice versa. They came to a consensus within about 2 days after the Ben Johnson snub. 

7 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah, the whole process to me was discouraging from the standpoint that we just interviewed the names the owners had before Peters was close to being part of the process. I'm not buying a massive coincidence that the only people he was interested in happened to be all the people the owners had listed already. So what was it? Did Peters really not have a list of people he wanted to talk to for the job? Or did he just defer to the owners? Or was there someone he was so laser-focused on that he didn't worry about the rest of the interview list?

The fact that 5 of the 7 candidates (no, I don't count Bienemy) were on the defensive side of the ball was always worrisome as well. 

Who didn’t they interview you would have liked them to? Outside of who they interviewed I think you are looking at College guys like Lincoln Riley. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

My wife chose the names for our kids - and dogs. I just nodded and smiled.

We have Della, Daylan, Davin and then Dasher, Dixie and Diamond.

I just point and say ‘You!’

I guess Dan is out of the question … 😅

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

It's this:

Ownership knew in August that barring a miraculous season, they were firing Ron the second the season ended. By early October, it should have been clear that this was not a miraculous season.

So, you would think they would have been having back-channel talks and making lists and doing all the borderline legal stuff you need to do to plan for your next coach. I kind expected that they would have coaches 1, 2, and 3 pretty-well vetted and know exactly what you need to do to land them.

Instead, it seemed like they cast this really wide net and were gathering all their information in January and didn't really know anything about anyone.

Again, that's just perception.

I'll provise you the missing piece here.   DDoing all that would have totally been a Bruce Allen/Snyder move.  Harris wants to set the record straight that he is an honorable, respectful owner, and he will honor a Contract even if he knows he won't renew it.   He did it differently because he wanted to send the message that he will run this franchise differently than Dan, and it will be done with integrity, at least, that has been my assessment.  I admit I have bcome so used to seeing coaches fired mid season that I'd never thought about it, but it wasn't Ron's fault he was put in an untenable position to win.  Dan's fingers are on all of it.   Also, being desparate for leadership, can get into issues of 'tampering', and we don't need more scandal in this franchise right now.  That's why.

Just now, MartinC said:

Who didn’t they interview you would have liked them to? Outside of who they interviewed I think you are looking at College guys like Lincoln Riley. 

Canales off the top of my head. 🙂 Frank Smith?

Even though you never asked me. 😂

7 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

The San Fran connection would make more sense for a HC hire.

If Quinn’s your guy… you shouldn’t be filling in his coaching staff as a GM with your guys.

Actually, wasn’t Quinn interviewed before GMAP was even hired?

Quinn would of course have final say over his own staff, but Peters could be helpful with providing information about and landing someone like Klint Kubiak from SF, if Quinn likes that idea.

Quinn was not interviewed before Peters was hired.  No HC interviews were conducted before Peters was hired.  Quinn and Morris had Zoom interviews on Jan 18, 3 days after Peters was hired.

• Like 2

I kinda call bunk that Dan's scouting staff has to be retained for the draft in 4 months.

Do their scouting notes belong to them or the team? 

Regardless any and all GMs should have detailed files at this point.

giphy.gif.520220cda02264aa3851524f5ba77c25.gif

Edited by RandyHolt

38 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Disagree...

They made an offer to both Johnsons and Mcdonald. Johnsosn wanted too much money and Mcdonald chose Sea (we dont know the reason)

To mee it reeks of lack on unified visions and understanding of what they want.. 

1. They should have known Johnsons price early on instead of wasting time and waiting until all other Good OCs got picked up.

2. If they are going after O coach and see value there.. then had to switch to D coached because no good OCs were left.

3. In the end had to settle for a retread that while having a good D in Dal, underperformed in the playoffs consistently .. and now trying to sell everyone on how "respected and good he is) ala Rivera 4y ago. 

There are no credible reports they made an offer to EITHER Johnson or Macdonald (and let's please spell the guy's name correctly.)

Do you know why there would be no credible reports of this? 

1. Because absolutely NOBODY would let that information out, whether true or not.  

2. There is NO WAY you're hiring a head coach BEFORE you have an in-person interview.  You're not making an offer based on an hour long zoom call for a contract probably worth $50 million dollars and 5-6 years of commitment.  It's not going to happen.

3.  Johnson canceled the interview while they were flying to see him, so they hadn't met in person.

4. Ergo, they never made an offer to Johnson

5. They wanted to interview Johnson and Aaron Glenn on Tuesday.  They can't have made an offer to Macdonald until after that.  However, Macdonald could have gotten an offer from Seattle, because he talked to them and they didn't have any other interviews lined up, they talked to Johnson on Monday.

You're talking yourself into a situation that didn't exist because you didn't like the candidate they ended up with.  

Not liking the candidate is fine.

Coming up with or believing categorically false stories is dangerous.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

On 2/2/2024 at 10:41 AM, Die Hard said:

Canales off the top of my head. 🙂 Frank Smith?

Even though you never asked me. 😂

Canales is very inexperienced as an OC. Most of the younger OCs who have some tenure/success have already got their shot. Pickings are getting thin - that’s why Johnson was so coveted. 

More depth of quality candidates on the defensive side of the ball because everyone seems to want offensive minded HCs (for reasons we’ve been over a lot in this thread). 

Frank Smith might have been interesting buts he’s only been an OC for two years and McDaniels calls plays. Panthers interviews him I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Front offices as to staffs usually aren't overhauled the months before the draft.   The major changes tend to happen post draft-FA sans the GM hire. 

I've heard some reporters talk about this.  The gist they say is because FOs don't appreciate their place being purged in the heat of their busy season.

So yeah if Peters for example wants to swipe some scouts from SF, it feels unlikely it happens now unless its for a major position like director of scouting or something like that.

I expect changes to happen, probably even soon.  But I doubt much happens until after the draft. 

As to Mayhew, he was working under Peters before.  No one was clowning on him when he was in SF.  I understand they all feel like clowns now.  But for Peters if he liked Mayhew as an underling then, I'd presume he's cool with him now.  I read a recent article that alluded to Mayhew basically being an adminstrator in the previous FO anyway

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I mean, there were two offensive guys who got HC jobs this offseason we never asked about. 

I've said plenty of times that Frank Smith and Mike Kafka would have been near the top of my list. 

Wouldn't have minded at least talking to guys like Joe Brady, Adam Stenaavich or Press Taylor either. 

Since we obviously didn't have a problem with retreads, why not Nagy?

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

I mean, there were two offensive guys who got HC jobs this offseason we never asked about. 

I've said plenty of times that Frank Smith and Mike Kafka would have been near the top of my list. 

Wouldn't have minded at least talking to guys like Joe Brady, Adam Stenaavich or Press Taylor either. 

Since we obviously didn't have a problem with retreads, why not Nagy?

Of that list Smith is the only one who I would have been interested in. Zero interest in Nagy personally. The rest need more experience as OCs IMO.

Just hypothetical.  Let's say Klint Kubiak becomes our OC and we trade our 2nd 2nd round pick and our 2nd 3rd round or 4th round pick for Justin Fields and redo his contract with escalators and something like a 3-year $45 million dollar deal with it back loaded the last year with 1/2 the monies.  How would people feel about that.  He would be 25 yrs. old and his stats aren't bad. Kubiak with Minnestoa did wonders there with all the QBs he worked with.  Just a thought.  We could trade down a bit and still get one of the best OTs in the draft and Peters could trade down a bit with our other 2nd/3rd rounders.  

• Thumb down 2
  • Thumb up 4

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Frank Smith

And for whatever reason, and to my knowledge, not one team came asking about him or for an interview. Not this offseason. Sounds like there's something there that we don't know, and not necessarily negative. We'll see, maybe he ends up somewhere next year. 

16 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah, I had wondered about this as well.  The only answer that kind of makes sense is that, through back channels, they had gotten a list of HC candidates that Peters would like to interview if he got the GM job.

That kind of tarnishes the authenticity of the GM search, but we have been told that Peters was basically the runaway favorite to get the GM from the very start of the process.