Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, rockluc said:

I love Weavers charisma and leadership vibes. But I’m having a hard time getting over how bad the Texans were his one year as DC. I’m hoping there were some extenuating circumstances, injury bug, whatever to help explain that, then I’d be 100% on board. 

That was a very tumultuous season for Houston. There was Deandre Hopkins trade prior to the season. Trade rumors about blowing up the team by moving Watt and Watson. O’Brien got fired four games in. 

• Like 3

I was just reading this, surprised that Carroll is seen as a shot now with Seattle fans.

https://www.hawkblogger.com/2024/01/dan-quinn-is-better-than-you-think.html

Quinn is just more Pete Carroll

There is a portion of the Seahawks fan base who believes Quinn is just Carroll all over again. Ironically, some of the folks raising this concern are people who did not want Carroll let go in the first place. Their perspective is, “If you wanted more Carroll, why didn’t you just keep him?” The other portion of fans who have this perspective were desperate for change from Carroll and see Quinn as too similar.

This is a case of Seahawks fans having a myopic perspective, based largely on what they know of Quinn’s time with the Seahawks.

There is no doubt some influence on Quinn from Carroll and his time in Seattle, but that represents a fraction of his time as a coach. Quinn’s personality is quite different from Carroll.

He is serious and intense. It is no surprise that Nick Saban and Dom Capers brought him aboard as part of their staff in Miami, or that Mora Jr. favored him as well. Albert Breer brought this up on a recent interview with Dave “Softy” Mahler.

Quinn is a really intriguing marriage of old school football toughness/intensity with positive leadership preached by Carroll.

His players love him and play hard for him, but he’s more than just a “rah rah” guy.

“That’s like my OG, for real. He means a lot to me, not only cause, it’s not just about football,” Parsons said. “I think Q, we were talking today, and I was like, ‘Could you do the college thing?’ Cause of [Nick] Saban [retiring] and all them. And he was like, ‘Yeah.’ And I was like, ‘Cause you’re just such a great mentor.’

“I think he does a great job finding ways for you to love the game, finding ways to go around the game. It doesn’t always have to be hard-nosed, ‘I’m the coach.’ I think it’s more of a friendship. We go through what I don’t like, what I do like. He doesn’t just treat me like a player, he treats me almost like a friend. He’s always there when I need him and we’re not afraid to have those hard conversations, either it’s father to son or player to coach, we have them no matter what.”

He is a very different person than Carroll, while having the EQ necessary to relate to today’s players.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was just reading this, surprised that Carroll is seen as a shot now with Seattle fans.

He'd been there 14 years and had largely been treading water for the last 8 years.

It's similar to what is going on in Pittsburgh with Tomlin. That fanbase is desperate for someone (anyone) new.

NFL fans aren't college football fans. Even good coaches only get about two presidential terms before a change is wanted.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There is a portion of the Seahawks fan base who believes Quinn is just Carroll all over again. Ironically, some of the folks raising this concern are people who did not want Carroll let go in the first place. Their perspective is, “If you wanted more Carroll, why didn’t you just keep him?” The other portion of fans who have this perspective were desperate for change from Carroll and see Quinn as too similar.

This is a case of Seahawks fans having a myopic perspective, based largely on what they know of Quinn’s time with the Seahawks.

There is no doubt some influence on Quinn from Carroll and his time in Seattle, but that represents a fraction of his time as a coach. Quinn’s personality is quite different from Carroll.

He is serious and intense. It is no surprise that Nick Saban and Dom Capers brought him aboard as part of their staff in Miami, or that Mora Jr. favored him as well. Albert Breer brought this up on a recent interview with Dave “Softy” Mahler.

Quinn is a really intriguing marriage of old school football toughness/intensity with positive leadership preached by Carroll.

His players love him and play hard for him, but he’s more than just a “rah rah” guy.

“That’s like my OG, for real. He means a lot to me, not only cause, it’s not just about football,” Parsons said. “I think Q, we were talking today, and I was like, ‘Could you do the college thing?’ Cause of [Nick] Saban [retiring] and all them. And he was like, ‘Yeah.’ And I was like, ‘Cause you’re just such a great mentor.’

“I think he does a great job finding ways for you to love the game, finding ways to go around the game. It doesn’t always have to be hard-nosed, ‘I’m the coach.’ I think it’s more of a friendship. We go through what I don’t like, what I do like. He doesn’t just treat me like a player, he treats me almost like a friend. He’s always there when I need him and we’re not afraid to have those hard conversations, either it’s father to son or player to coach, we have them no matter what.”

He is a very different person than Carroll, while having the EQ necessary to relate to today’s players.

SIP the more information you post about Quinn the harder it is for me to hate on the guy lol......Like I said,  this could be a solid hire if, and only if we knock it out the park with who we bring in to fill the offensive side.......And no, I'm not advocating or claiming Quinn is my guy, and is a homerun hire, just saying paired up with the right staff we could do much worse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

He'd been there 14 years and had largely been treading water for the last 8 years.

It's similar to what is going on in Pittsburgh with Tomlin. That fanbase is desperate for someone (anyone) new.

NFL fans aren't college football fans. Even good coaches only get about two presidential terms before a change is wanted.

You're right, would've happened to Gibbs here if he didn't exit when he did his first time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rockluc said:

I love Weavers charisma and leadership vibes. But I’m having a hard time getting over how bad the Texans were his one year as DC. I’m hoping there were some extenuating circumstances, injury bug, whatever to help explain that, then I’d be 100% on board. 

See the below link. Scroll down for an analysis of the defense that year.

https://www.battleredblog.com/platform/amp/2021/2/18/22289613/a-look-at-the-numbers-from-the-texans-2020-season

46 minutes ago, SkinsFanPA said:

I want to put this out there, just as a comparison.  To be clear, I'm not excited about the prospect of Dan Quinn, and I hear all of the "retread" talk, and how he couldn't get it done in Atlanta...

Look at Pete Carroll.  The guy was 33-31 in 4 years with the Jets & Patriots.  Nothing exciting.  He goes to Seattle after having success at USC, and goes to the playoffs 10 times in 14 seasons, appearing in 2 Super Bowls and winning one of them.  What if Seattle had passed on him, because he was just so-so in his previous HC stints in the NFL?

I'm not saying Quinn is our guy, or that he would have the same success that Carroll had (which we would have KILLED for over the last 14 years here)...but to dismiss him out of hand simply because he was "ok" his first time around would be lazy, IMO...

Heck, Belichick was 8 games under .500 in Cleveland over 5 seasons, yet the Patriots gave him a shot...how'd that turn out?

Not to mention, a retread under this new ownership and FO will be leaps and bounds different than it was under Snyder.  Snyder was always meddling in everything and forcing QB draft picks the coaches didn't want.  Hell, remember when he brought in Jeff George........

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig and Sheehan

A.  Standig heard like most others Ben Johnson wasn't the slam dunk candidate here but certainly a favorite

B.  (Like Keim) he's heard from the jump that they really like Quinn and he's a strong contender

C.  Standig is at the Senior Bowl, talking to other scouts-personnel guys and they all think Ben Johnson and his agent treated the situation unprofessionally and they don't think its a good look for either of them

D.  they sort of made fun of this fan base -- suggesting its the most battered in sports still going with PTS and not trusting their decision makers even after Dan is gone and acceding that the GM is the be all and yet they don't come off like they trust (him) decision makers.

For me as to point D.  While I agree they shouldn't care what fans think with these hires but they should factor that perhaps even just a little into the process. :ols:  As Standig said with all the smoke about them liking Quinn then hire him versus drag this out past the McDonald hire.

It's hard for me to really buy that they love Quinn that much per some reports. If they really did, once Johnson was out, Quinn should have been signed within 24 hours. It's what pretty much every other NFL team would have done. It's really looking like Johnson was Plan A, B, and C. And there's not a clear Plan D. This team has done way more interviews than anyone. Unless it's going to hire someone way out of left field, they just need to pick one of the 3 left standing. And preferably today.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

People could post 50 of these types of comments a day. Your not going to sell me on a sub par .500 dirt sandwich and try to tell me it's a Steak. I'm not even sure I want him as DC for whoever is named HC. 

At this point if it's not Jon Gruden or BB I'd prefer they just dipped into the college ranks and picked up the best College coach and let's just roll with this soup sandwich. 

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I don't know. I think playing experience matters too. 

His playing experience ended 15 years ago. The only reason to pursue Griese specifically is if we're desperate to find coaches that Kyle Shanahan may have once shaken hands with. There are coaches who played more recently and have better coaching experience to pick from.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, VRIEL1 said:

I'm pretty sure they had their sights on Johnson. They had to wait until the team was knocked out of the playoffs or end of season. I think Quinn surprised them which is why he got 3 in person interviews. What we don't know is did Quinn impress them so much that they are wanting him tied to they new HC? Also heard a "rumor" Johnson wanted full control of staff and players. Could have been Washington was going to pay him what he wanted but not give him full control so he took his name off the table. Why he didn't go to Seattle? Who knows maybe they were not going to pay him that much? Again, that's a rumor. Or maybe we balked at the price and countered with $10 or $12 mill. And Johnson said no. 

Yes, every indication is they had a crush on Johnson.

But that one guy could easily say "No". I find it incredible the FO did not plan for that scenario.

Now we look like the team no one wants to coach which makes it doubly hard for any respectable coach to come here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jericho said:

It's hard for me to really buy that they love Quinn that much per some reports. If they really did, once Johnson was out, Quinn should have been signed within 24 hours. It's what pretty much every other NFL team would have done. It's really looking like Johnson was Plan A, B, and C. And there's not a clear Plan D. This team has done way more interviews than anyone. Unless it's going to hire someone way out of left field, they just need to pick one of the 3 left standing. And preferably today.

This. Pretty obvious this coaching search was bungled

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I haven’t seen those reports.  Can you link them?

There’s no way the commanders made an offer to Ben Johnson before they had an in person interview with him. Which he canceled. So there’s no way they made him an offer.

It is possible, they made an offer to Macdonald. However, I have not seen that reported anywhere.

It’s in his thread. They had a deal principal in place on a 5 year deal. After Tepper gave a 6 year deal with the panthers,  Ben’s side asked for 6 years and also asked for roster control of offensive players. Meaning Peters was not the decision make on who made the 53 on offense. They hit an impasse and Johnson subsequently cancelled when they were in the air to meet with him in person. 

Similarly they tried to put a deal together for Macdonald and he turned them down and told them he’s taking the Seattle job.

All these guys have egos and most don’t want to be second choice if they have other options. With Seattle going up for sale in a year it doesn’t seem like it will be as stable as here but Macdonald preferred them.

Jonson seemingly overplayed his leverage and Peters was unwilling to cede power so early into his tenure. They placed too many eggs in that basket. It is what it is at this point but it’s a cluster and no one on the Commanders side looks good. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Why not? Do people see him as a Zorn hire? 

I might be wrong,  completely wrong,  but to me it boils down to coaching experience. Like I said,  maybe OC, but I just don't think he'd be ready for that big step.

Edited by DazedSkinsfan

It seemed like a third of the league had new HC's this year. The FO got fixated on a couple guys, one of whom stood them up. The others took more "ready made" gigs. No shady facilities, no janky stadium and no true "ground-up" work, which would be difficult for a new HC trying to learn his own gig. 

Maybe the job just isn't that attractive, when you factor how much actually needs to be done at every single level. The team will have to settle for a retread for a few years and start all over again once the true foundation has been laid.

• Thumb up 2