Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

At first I was disappointed over the Ben Johnson news, but that news turned to anger. Mostly, Johnson wasted valuable time that could've been used to actually find our HC. On top of wasting our time, he cancels at the last minute, what a ****ing loser. I'm starting to think we dodged a bullet, this guy seems unsure and shaky. I doubt the Lions get back to where they were this year anytime soon.

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 2

Quinn would be underwhelming.   

Yeah, there are of coaches that did just ok or poor in the first run and did great the second time around.   

I  don't view Quinn joining Shula or Bellichek and being really successful in his second stint.  There's a ceiling with him.  He'll get us to that ceiling in 3-4 years and after failing to go beyond that ceiling will get fired in 5-6 years.  He will get us to point B but to get us to Point A, someelse will take over from what he built.

It would've been better to get to that Point A destination with this hire but going with Quinn won't be it.

OK, I think it's going to be Quinn.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Thumb up 1

Qu

8 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I disagree. Belichick would be a Snyder move.

Kraft was hands-off, and Belichick barely tolerated him. Even if Dan permitted Ron some personnel control (because he had no other choice by that point), I doubt he would have stomached allowing Belichick to distance him from his toy. Last time a coach imposed that much will over his franchise, he lasted only a year.

Edited by BurgundyBooger

My friend, who is a lifelong Lions fan, just texted me to say that we may have dodged a bullet because Johnson, a great schemer and teacher, has relied too heavily on Campbell for leadership. My friend went on to say that he thinks Aaron Glenn is the better leader. Of course, my friend could be wildly wrong. Have we ruled out Glenn? Was that a courtesy interview because Johnson didn't want to feel bad about not having his friend invited to the party?

Edited by dswerdlw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Kraft was hands-off, and Belichick barely tolerated him. Even if Dan permitted Ron some personnel control (because he had no other choice by that point), I doubt he would have stomached allowing Belichick to distance him from his toy.

Our previous owner had checked out the last couple of years. I don't think he would have cared as long as he could live the lifestyle he became accustomed to.

Edited by RVAskins

2 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Probably just got himself another raise from Detroit. Below is from last year.

Johnson’s salary in 2022, his first season as a coordinator, is publicly unknown. Coordinators generally earn around $1M-$1.5M per season, though that varies with experience level and team.

Just to put this into perspective. I think Ron rivera made somewhere around 8.5 Mil for this debacle of a season.

If he was only given a few hundred thousand, or even a million more than that?  Talk about not valuing money.

Not only that, does he expect Detroit to compete year around in a conference with LaFleur/Jordan Love's Packers?

Chicago could turn around too with a few changes.

• Thumb up 1

53 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Yup.  He's been a HC alright.  Along with hundreds of other head coaches.  And he didn't get it done.  If he's this A Level coach, why did he go all Ron Rivera in Atlanta?  Got to a SB, blew it in historical fashion, and flamed out over the next two years, where he got canned with a one game over .500 record.  All with Kyle as OC, himself as DC, and a franchise QB in Matt Ryan and a bunch of other weapons.   The explanation of why it'll be different here - despite this lackluster stint in Atlanta - the Harris group still thought he was good enough to be our long term answer at HC, HAS TO BE ADDRESSED by ownership and Quinn, IMO.  

They also better come out guns blazing next year where it's easy to see how much the team effort and attention to detail (all of what Peters said) is easy to see.  'Cause this team needs serious butts in seats.  Butts occupied by actual fans of this team.  And, I can guarantee that a Quinn hire isn't putting butts in seats.

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

My friend who is a lifelong Lions fan just text me to say that we may have dodged a bullet because Johnson, a great schemer and teacher, has relied too heavily on Campbell for leadership. My friend went on to say that he thinks Aaron Glenn is the better leader. Of course, my friend could be wildly wrong. Have we ruled out Glenn? Was that a courtesy interview because Johnson didn't want to feel bad about not having his friend invited to the party?

I’m fine with Glenn. His defense did not have much talent on it.

Why Lions DC Aaron Glenn was voted the No. 1 coordinator in the NFL by his players

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions have two of the most-liked coordinators in the league, neither of whom is named Ben Johnson.

The NFL Players Association polled more than 1,600 players this season, asking them to rank their coordinators on a 1-10 scale. Dave Fipp ranked fourth among special teams coordinators, while Aaron Glenn was No. 1 among defensive coordinators in the league.......................

Just now, FrFan said:

Why Lions DC Aaron Glenn was voted the No. 1 coordinator in the NFL by his players

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions have two of the most-liked coordinators in the league, neither of whom is named Ben Johnson.

The NFL Players Association polled more than 1,600 players this season, asking them to rank their coordinators on a 1-10 scale. Dave Fipp ranked fourth among special teams coordinators, while Aaron Glenn was No. 1 among defensive coordinators in the league.......................

It really doesn’t phase me if he does magic tricks and has pillow talks with the players, leadership is vital but if he runs a D and they perform badly he’ll be on the hot seat. I’m not even overly convinced by the unit he ran this season.

Okay, I've been on the no Quinn train for a long time now.  But I guess I would be okay with the hire if he found a very strong OC & QB coach AND he focused on defense more so than he did in Atlanta.  As a DC, his track record in Seattle (this is from memory, as I don't have DVOA numbers from before 2020) and Dallas speaks for itself.

Dallas Cowboys by Defensive DVOA:

• 2020 (No Quinn): 27th ranked defense
  • 2021 (Yr. 1 Quinn): 4th ranked defense
  • 2022 (Yr. 2 Quinn): 4th ranked defense
  • 2023 (Yr. 3 Quinn): 5th ranked defense

The man definitely knows how to coach up a defense.  I'll caveat this by saying we have no defensive players on the level of Parsons, Bland or Diggs.  But it would be nice to know we can probably rely on a perennial top 5 defense if we can find him a few pieces to work with.

So I'll revise my opinion on him to "I really want to know his plan at OC in Year 1 AND IN SUBSEQUENT YEARS (i.e., succession planning) before I judge".

• Like 1

Wow if Quinn is now staying put......

I would have had them in this order now:

• MacDonald
  • Morris (but he just was hired in Atl)
  • Slovik
  • Vrabel (who I don't think we even interviewed)
  • Glenn
  • Bellichek
  • Quinn
  • Weaver

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Okay, I've been on the no Quinn train for a long time now.  But I guess I would be okay with the hire if he found a very strong OC & QB coach AND he focused on defense more so than he did in Atlanta.  As a DC, his track record in Seattle (this is from memory, as I don't have DVOA numbers from before 2020) and Dallas speaks for itself.

Dallas Cowboys by Defensive DVOA:

• 2020 (No Quinn): 27th ranked defense
  • 2021 (Yr. 1 Quinn): 4th ranked defense
  • 2022 (Yr. 2 Quinn): 4th ranked defense
  • 2023 (Yr. 3 Quinn): 5th ranked defense

The man definitely knows how to coach up a defense.  I'll caveat this by saying we have no defensive players on the level of Parsons, Bland or Diggs.  But it would be nice to know we can probably rely on a perennial top 5 defense if we can find him a few pieces to work with.

So I'll revise my opinion on him to "I really want to know his plan at OC in Year 1 AND IN SUBSEQUENT YEARS (i.e., succession planning) before I judge".

Where is this info located, HTTRD?

Just now, Veretax said:

Wow if Quinn is now staying put......

I would have had them in this order now:

• MacDonald
  • Morris (but he just was hired in Atl)
  • Slovik
  • Vrabel (who I don't think we even interviewed)
  • Glenn
  • Bellichek
  • Quinn
  • Weaver

That was from last year, mate. Unfortunately DQ is still an option.