Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I've been posturing this is not true. Look at Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore--none of their HCs are offensive minded, yet they continue to roll through coordinators and continue to win. Baltimore successfully developed Lamar Jackson, Buffalo with Josh Allen. Belichick never won anything without Brady--yet he did discover and develop Brady--all while bleeding offensive coordinators left and right.

All due respect SHF (there have been several other respected posters as well), but the idea we pass on a Tomlin or Harbaugh because we might lose an OC is panicky. It's like passing on a date with with ScarJo because she might leave us.

This threatens to turn into something of a straw man. I don't know if many are suggesting you "can't" succeed with a HC who is not from the offensive side of the ball. Just a question of what the best path forward is. Particularly with a young QB who will presumably become the team's number 1 asset once he is drafted. 

Pittsburgh hasn't developed a QB in nearly two decades, so let's ignore that example. But Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen were developed by offensive staffs that stayed around for multiple years during their early pro development.

It's certainly possible to have that happen with us and our soon to be QB.  But what if our new OC is poached a year in? Or two? Do you not think that has the potential to be a negative for that QB? I certainly do. 

I'd rather go with a offensive mind who can stick with a QB thru his development. 

Every team that has been in the Super Bowl in recent years either has an offensive coach or had Tom Brady. Most of them were coaches who developed those QBs (Stafford being the exception).

I don't rule out MacDonald by any means, but my preference is an OC. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

I'd be intrigued if we hire an OC head coach.

Wink is one creative dude but I am more intrigued by others who aren’t so dependent on being blitz heavy. Of folks who we know are available, Nielsen, Graham and Frazier intrigue me more

9 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Oh man, I completely screwed up your question. Apologies, let me see if I can find something on 2020.

I've never been good at multitasking lmao

No worries, it's actually as interesting to contrast 2014 and 2020 as it is for 2020 and 2024...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, method man said:

Wink is one creative dude but I am more intrigued by others who aren’t so dependent on being blitz heavy. Of folks who we know are available, Nielsen, Graham and Frazier intrigue me more

Yesterday sounded like the Vrabel situation is in flux. If that breaks up, I’d check in on Shane Bowen.

6 minutes ago, method man said:

Was thinking division familarity but always thought he was a decent coach.  Certainly demolished us 2X this year.  LOL

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I've been posturing this is not true. Look at Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore--none of their HCs are offensive minded, yet they continue to roll through coordinators and continue to win. Baltimore successfully developed Lamar Jackson, Buffalo with Josh Allen. Belichick never won anything without Brady--yet he did discover and develop Brady--all while bleeding offensive coordinators left and right.

All due respect SHF (there have been several other respected posters as well), but the idea we pass on a Tomlin or Harbaugh because we might lose an OC is panicky. It's like passing on a date with with ScarJo because she might leave us.

If we are going to be a consistent organization, we have to be able to make many good hires, not just one. Macdonald is my #2 right now, behind Ben Johnson.

It’s of course dependent on the individuals involved and who is really the best coach, but my preference is to have an offensive HC.

All 8 (100%) participants in the past 4 Superbowls have been offensive Head Coaches.  This season 8 of the 12 (66.7%) 10 win teams have offensive Head Coaches.  

It’s a recent trend that’s been successful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

No worries, it's actually as interesting to contrast 2014 and 2020 as it is for 2020 and 2024...

After doing a bit more looking it seems like Rivera might have been our only target which makes sense since his hiring would meet the Rooney rule requirements. 

7 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It's certainly possible to have that happen with us and our soon to be QB.  But what if our new OC is poached a year in? Or two? Do you not think that has the potential to be a negative for that QB? I certainly do. 

I get that but it assumes that we'll just sit around smelling our farts without an answer if our OC gets snatched. We would have to groom a replacement in the pipeline--QB coach, WR coach, etc. to keep the same system.

It also assumes we lose our OC in a year or two. I'd be pretty surprised if Slowik gets nabbed this year. A lot of hot coordinators that get nabbed after a year or two at the helm flame out. Plus what Houston did is very, very rare.

Just now, spjunkies said:

After doing a bit more looking it seems like Rivera might have been our only target which makes sense since his hiring would meet the Rooney rule requirements. 

Yep, and he was also defacto GM so no GM interviews at all.  Even disregarding the benefit of hindsight (i.e. at the time I was very good with Rivera), that was horrendous process.  A very different day today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recall how Logan Paulsen among others would defend them skipping TE in last years loaded draft because of the potential of the young TEs in house including this dude 

Example 976 of why I can’t wait for the new FO

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall how Logan Paulsen among others would defend them skipping TE in last years loaded draft because of the potential of the young TEs in house including this dude 

Example 976 of why I can’t weir for the new FO

True, but Armani Rogers was the dude they were really stoked about. Hodges, eh and doesn't make me blink with his loss

• Like 1

Keim asked on Grant and Danny just now about how fast he thought they could get that FO person in place and he said within a week.

Also said Peters would be a homerun hire.  When Harris really wants someone he is super aggressive.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 7

Keim asked on Grant and Danny just now asked about how fast does he think they are getting that FO person in place and he said within a week.

Also said Peters would be a homerun hire.

I believe it.

It's the #1 job opening in the NFL.

Keim asked on Grant and Danny just now asked about how fast does he think they are getting that FO person in place and he said within a week.

Just a follow-up.  Wink was let go in Baltimore and look what MacDonald, current DC in Baltimore did with D.  There's a reason Wink was released.  Game has passed him by.  

Listening to  Keim

He doesn’t think Spielmam had the job back when he interviewed him for his podcast but it’s possible he was considering it then 

He thinks it can be resolved the GM in a week.  Harris is aggressive at closing a deal when he knows what he wants 

He believes Peters would be a big get 

He thinks it’s possible tha Bienieny gets a cursory look for HC but he doesn’t think he stands much of a chance 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to  Keim

He doesn’t think Spielmam had the job back when he interviews him fir his podcast but it’s possible he was considering it then 

He thinks it can be resolved the GM in a week

He believes Peters would be a big get 

The California Connection Golden State kid needs to do his pitch to get Peters here.  I think that may be part of the reasoning behind his hiring.  He's good at talking and getting deals done.  This could help in wrapping up Peters but SF will fight to keep him.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2

Just now, RWJ said:

The California Connection Golden State kid needs to do his pitch to get Peters here.  I think that may be part of the reasoning behind his hiring.  He's good at talking and getting deals done.  This could help in wrapping up Peters but SF will fight to keep him.  

Yeah the talk has been SF push comes to shove would give Peters the Gm title. Will see 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Harris hiring the non-football team building and leadership guru who just happens to have a close personal relationship with the #1 most coveted GM candidate in the NFL…that’s frankly amazing. It was a good hire for a consultant position anyways, but this makes it a stroke of tactical genius. 

I think it’s gonna be very tough to convince Peters to leave the 49ers—but they were dumb enough to leave him vulnerable to poaching instead of moving Lynch on up to a non-GM President role. And this seems like one of the ways to appeal to a guy like him enough to pull him away (plus being a legitimately attractive short-term and long-term destination). 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I wouldnt want to be a Panthers fan. They have it much worse than us.  We at least have reason for optimism.  

Imagine being a sports fan and reading this from a Washington football fan of all people. Got to be rock bottom man.