Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

6 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I could see the Bears taking Maye instead of Williams. Williams and Fields are similar. They may want more of a drop back passer.

Then we sprint to the podium and take Williams in what might be the fastest pick in draft history

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I can see this with playing styles but I think people wanting Daniels to be Lamar Jackson are gonna be disappointed. 

Definitely, as a person that would LOVE a QB similar to Lamar Jackson to be leading Washington... you really cant find that person anywhere.   Vick in his prime.   On the side note, could you imagine Vick if he played by current rules to protect the QB!  In my opinion, the Brian Dawkins hit that changed Vick's career would have never have happened in current era.

It isn't just being able to good passer and runner that makes Lamar special.. its that twitch muscle that he has... Daniels like RG3 is a good runner but he doesnt have that twitch...

I am not saying that Daniels cant be a good QB in the NFL.. i am just saying that he isnt a Lamar type of player.

• Like 1

Just now, sjinhan said:

I am not saying that Daniels cant be a good QB in the NFL.. i am just saying that he isnt a Lamar type of player.

You said it much better than I did, and I agree wholeheartedly. Daniels is a great prospect in his own right, I just don’t think he’s similar to Lamar. 

5 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Definitely, as a person that would LOVE a QB similar to Lamar Jackson to be leading Washington... you really cant find that person anywhere.   Vick in his prime.   On the side note, could you imagine Vick if he played by current rules to protect the QB!  In my opinion, the Brian Dawkins hit that changed Vick's career would have never have happened in current era.

It isn't just being able to good passer and runner that makes Lamar special.. its that twitch muscle that he has... Daniels like RG3 is a good runner but he doesnt have that twitch...

Lamar was...not a good passer out of college. At all. He never even had a completion percentage above 60%. 

I am in the camp that if we can get a king's ransom for someone to trade up then we should take it.  Especially if it is coming from a team that historically sucks (kind of like Washington lol).  Like the Bears, maybe we will get lucky and get a very high draft pick next year as well.

I am not convinced that you need to pick in the top 3 picks to find your QB as long as you have a great team surround him.  Here is a list that a Carolina fan put together last year.

Starting QBs at the end of 2022 season

Patrick Mahomes - #10

Josh Allen - #7

Justin Herbert - #6

Lamar Jackson - #32

Jalen Hurts - #53

Dak Prescott - #135

Aaron Rodgers - #24

Tua Tagovailoa - #5

Tom Brady - #199

Deshaun Watson - #12

Kirk Cousins - #102

Ryan Tannehill - #8

Russell Wilson - #75

Geno Smith - #39

Daniel Jones - #6

Justin Fields - #11

Jimmy Garropolo - #62

Davis Mills - #67

Derek Carr -#36

Mac Jones - #15

Sam Ehlinger - #218

Kenny Pickett - #20

Andy Dalton - #35

Top 5 QB Picks in the last ten years

Joe Burrow

Matt Stafford

Kyler Murray

Tua Tagovailoa

Jared Goff

Baker Mayfield

Carson Wentz

Andrew Luck

RG3

Mitch Trubisky

Trevor Lawrence

Zach Wilson

Marcus Mariota

Trey Lance

Jameis Winston

Blake Bortles

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

I am in the camp that if we can get a king's ransom for someone to trade up then we should take it.  Especially if it is coming from a team that historically sucks (kind of like Washington lol).  Like the Bears, maybe we will get lucky and get a very high draft pick next year as well.

I am not convinced that you need to pick in the top 3 picks to find your QB as long as you have a great team surround him.  Here is a list that a Carolina fan put together last year.

Starting QBs at the end of 2022 season

Patrick Mahomes - #10

Josh Allen - #7

Justin Herbert - #6

Lamar Jackson - #32

Jalen Hurts - #53

Dak Prescott - #135

Aaron Rodgers - #24

Tua Tagovailoa - #5

Tom Brady - #199

Deshaun Watson - #12

Kirk Cousins - #102

Ryan Tannehill - #8

Russell Wilson - #75

Geno Smith - #39

Daniel Jones - #6

Justin Fields - #11

Jimmy Garropolo - #62

Davis Mills - #67

Derek Carr -#36

Mac Jones - #15

Sam Ehlinger - #218

Kenny Pickett - #20

Andy Dalton - #35

Top 5 QB Picks in the last ten years

Joe Burrow

Matt Stafford

Kyler Murray

Tua Tagovailoa

Jared Goff

Baker Mayfield

Carson Wentz

Andrew Luck

RG3

Mitch Trubisky

Trevor Lawrence

Zach Wilson

Marcus Mariota

Trey Lance

Jameis Winston

Blake Bortles

How far would you be willing to trade down though? I say if the Chargers want to jump the Cardinals to get MHJ...maybe? We'd go from 2 to 5 but also have to be REAL confident that the QB we want would still be there (especially with the Patriots likely taking a QB) 

1) Bears (via CAR)
2) Commanders
3) Patriots
4) Cardinals
5) Chargers
6) Giants
7) Titans
8) Falcons
9) Bears
10) Jets
11) Vikings

Of course that is assuming the GM/HC like any of the top 3 QBs but maybe they'll like someone else more?

Edited by ThatNFLChick

The Lamar comparison for Daniels is only focusing on half the story. His stats say he is light years beyond what Lamar was as a passer coming out on top of being an electric runner.

And he compares well to his other two draft mates too. Even in their best seasons, neither Maye or Williams have had a better completion percentage or Y/A than Daniels had this year, let alone the space between those numbers and college Lamar.

Jayden is a whole other animal.

• Like 2

The one thing about both Lamar and Josh Allen that I love and should be considered when looking at these QBs is all the work they do in the community and how their full embrace of the cities they play for helped shift the culture. 

Josh Allen was very uneven his first two seasons in Buffalo but fans were patient because when he wasn't practicing he was out in the community. He was showing up everywhere, volunteering, going to schools to meet kids, he really embraced Buffalo and his role as a leader there. Lamar has done the same thing in Baltimore, his "spend a day with LJ" its such a big deal for kids or him buying ice cream trucks for all the local neighborhoods. When we're talking about changing a culture, IMO that kind of stuff goes a really really long way. The way that Baltimore loves Lamar and Buffalo loves Josh is really special. I don't know what QB that is but I'd really like to get someone who embraces the DMV community and residents here. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

The one thing about both Lamar and Josh Allen that I love and should be considered when looking at these QBs is all the work they do in the community and how their full embrace of the cities they play for helped shift the culture. 

Josh Allen was very uneven his first two seasons in Buffalo but fans were patient because when he wasn't practicing he was out in the community. He was showing up everywhere, volunteering, going to schools to meet kids, he really embraced Buffalo and his role as a leader there. Lamar has done the same thing in Baltimore, his "spend a day with LJ" its such a big deal for kids or him buying ice cream trucks for all the local neighborhoods. When we're talking about changing a culture, IMO that kind of stuff goes a really really long way. The way that Baltimore loves Lamar and Buffalo loves Josh is really special. I don't know what QB that is but I'd really like to get someone who embraces the DMV community and residents here. 

You could add Burrow here too. All three of those guys are authentic leaders. 

All three of those organizations also committed to them. Got them resources and tailored their offenses to their strengths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

So are most agreeing with this?

Williams - Ceiling is Patrock Mahomes

Maye - Ceiling is Josh Allen or Justin Herbert?

Daniels - Ceiling is Lamar Jackson

I think this is directionally accurate but there's a certain kind of.... coincidence, shall we say, with these comps that makes me want to take a step back and reflect on implicit bias before adopting this viewpoint.

Although to be clear, I do see the logic behind each of these. And certainly not casting any aspersions on you @ThatNFLChick or anybody else who believes in these comps 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I could see the Bears taking Maye instead of Williams. Williams and Fields are similar. They may want more of a drop back passer.

😂

this would be a glorious outcome indeed!

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I'm excited for the #2 overall pick but I hate all three schools the top QBs play for. 🤣

LSU..... hate em.

UNC.... hate em

USC.... hate em. 

what about the huskies? 🤓

• Thumb up 1

From a marketing perspective, the ideal scenario would be if Caleb Williams “came home” - nothing more heartwarming than a hometown hero….

if he’s not available, I think you gotta go with Jayden Daniels.  I personally think he’s better than Maye but aside from that, if this new front office has any sort of interest in revitalizing the local fan base, Daniels is slam dunk choice over Maye.   This might ruffle some feathers to say this, but the demographics of the fan base matter. This is DC aka Chocolate City we’re talking about.  Why on earth would you pass up the electrifying Black quarterback who’s potentially the second coming of Lamar Jackson for a clunky white kid (we’ve already got one named Sam Howell by the way) unless you’re certain said white kid is 100% a sure thing (meaning Andrew Luck level talented, or above).  I may get some flak for saying what I just said.  But if the new owners care are able to read the room and market to their fan base, it’s an important consideration.   Jayden Daniels would be perfect for DC.  Drake Maye would be perfect for Boston (those who know Boston know what I’m talking about).  Everyone goes home happy.

but yeah, if somehow Caleb can be had, either for the #2 or with a reasonable trade up to #1 (my definition of reasonable trade up from #2 to #1 is anything where we don’t lose our 2025 first rounder; maybe our first this year, a second rounder from this year and a second rounder or even third rounder from next year; or maybe our first plus a player like Jon Allen who doesn’t want to be here anyway), then that would be the ideal.

Edited by skinsarethebest
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, skinsarethebest said:

From a marketing perspective, the ideal scenario would be if Caleb Williams “came home” - nothing more heartwarming than a hometown hero….

if he’s not available, I think you gotta go with Jayden Daniels.  I personally think he’s better than Maye but aside from that, if this new front office has any sort of interest in revitalizing the local fan base, Daniels is slam dunk choice over Maye.   This might ruffle some feathers to say this, but the demographics of the fan base matter. This is DC aka Chocolate City we’re talking about.  Why on earth would you pass up the electrifying Black quarterback who’s potentially the second coming of Lamar Jackson for a clunky white kid (we’ve already got one named Sam Howell by the way) unless you’re certain said white kid is 100% a sure thing (meaning Andrew Luck level talented, or above).  I may get some flak for saying what I just said.  But if the new owners care are able to read the room and market to their fan base, it’s an important consideration.   Jayden Daniels would be perfect for DC.  Drake Maye would be perfect for Boston (those who know Boston know what I’m talking about).  Everyone goes home happy.

With all due respect, I think this is a garbage way of evaluating football players or frankly people in general. Pick the best man for the job, period.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

The Lamar comparison for Daniels is only focusing on half the story. His stats say he is light years beyond what Lamar was as a passer coming out on top of being an electric runner.

And he compares well to his other two draft mates too. Even in their best seasons, neither Maye or Williams have had a better completion percentage or Y/A than Daniels had this year, let alone the space between those numbers and college Lamar.

Jayden is a whole other animal.

so was vince young...rg3 was a whole nother animal...its so f'n beautifully ez...Caleb or Maye...n we finally got our franchise qb since jeurgonsen,,,i cant believe our luc....HTTR!!!

Edited by Stefanskins
ive had a few...long season...

40 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

With all due respect, I think this is a garbage way of evaluating football players or frankly people in general. Pick the best man for the job, period.

Which I happen to think would be Daniels over Maye, as I had mentioned in my post (but not really elaborated upon)...

6 hours ago, xxprodigyxx said:

so many analysts are mocking us as trading up for the #1. i hope this doesn't happen. i don't want it to happen. we need all our picks this year and next. if they do this...they'd better be damn sure.

same.  it's interesting, more than a few mocks have us staying at 2 and still getting Williams these days.  Don't know if that's them expecting him to fall or the DC native thing resulting in him putting pressure not to be picked first

4 hours ago, kfrankie said:

Has Ron traded the #2 pick yet?  Heard he has his eye on a 158 lb. safety with awesome ball hawking skills that should be available at around #10 overall.  Hes still technicallly ths GM.

I saw a post to a video where the person said Ron would race to the podium to get his long snapper in an effort to redeem himself regarding the Cheeseman pick.

• Haha 1

Just a month ago we were hoping to stay in the top 7 to secure one of the top OTs or perhaps a TE.  Weeks of breaks went our way, the bad teams around us pulled  upsets multiple times as we did our part and lost out. Now we sit at 2 and have a real shot at a player who can literally change the franchise's future overnight.   

Things are changing in Washington.  The Snyder Stink is gone and things are finally breaking our way.   There is every reason in the world to be more optimistic today than at any time in the last 30 years.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 4

My gut says, regardless about how we feel… it’s going to be Maye or Williams.

I just hope they do their due diligence on both.

There has been a refrain that Washington and LSU have an elite supporting cast while USC and UNC do not.

Thats fair. However, how much of that is due to the quarterback play raising the value of the cast as well as the cast playing well? How much of it is the QB lowering the ability of the cast?

This needs to be combed through and factored in to whatever we do.

I have a feeling my personal reaction to pick #2 is going to be disappointed. However, a good draft beyond that would bring me around. So I am hoping the new regime does a great job evaluating talent and getting solid contributors throughout the draft.

Anonymous NFL insider says Jayden Daniels pulling away from Drake Maye as QB2 in NFL draft

Just a few months ago, Jayden Daniels wasn’t getting much NFL draft love at all.

Then, the final month of the season happened. Daniels secured his Heisman Trophy with next-level play, and that has also resulted in a meteoric rise in his draft stock.

He’s now seen as a likely top 10 pick, and he may even be the second quarterback off the board after Caleb Williams. An anonymous AFC executive told Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer that Daniels is pulling away from Drake Maye for the QB2 spot.

“It might be going in the opposite direction,” Breer was told. “Jayden is pulling away from Drake for me. … He makes every throw, his deep accuracy is rare, he’s explosive as a runner but is a pocket passer. It’s like [Deshaun Watson].”

Other insiders didn’t share the same opinion, though the consensus was that the gap has shrunk considerably. Still, some prefer the ceiling Maye brings.

“I think Drake has a Pro Bowl ceiling,” an AFC scout told Breer. “His floor is Dak [Prescott, before this MVP month] and his ceiling is [Justin] Herbert. I had Jayden as a quality backup with the ceiling of a system starter, more in-line with the Jimmy [Garoppolo] or Kirk Cousins range. … I like him, his athleticism adds value. I just didn’t love him as a passer.”

Only time will tell how Daniels is ultimately perceived by the league, but it’s plain to see that his stock is rapidly rising as the draft approaches.