Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

10 minutes ago, skinsarethebest said:

I’ve seen a few where the Giants move up to as high as 1 and end up with Williams….  Would be a terrible outcome (for us) imho

They'd have to give up a lot and I can't see them doing it but much stranger things have happened in the NFL.  

Being in the NFC East is so annoying. Eagles are a well run organization. Dallas for the most part is pretty stable. Then you have the Giants who for whatever reason want to draft a QB the same years we want to draft a QB. Just stick to your damn Daniel Jones and go draft a damn lineman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Are people still treating wins as a QB stat in 2024?  That’s wild. 

It's truly bizarre. I thought we got rid of that nonsense with the "He just wins!" crap thrown out about poor-to-mediocre QBs like Alex Smith, Jimmy G, and He Who Must Not Be Named.

It's more nuanced than that. You need to look at what the QB is actually doing during the wins and losses. Is his team losing despite him throwing for 400 yards and 4 TDs because his defense is completely new to the idea of tackling? Is his team winning despite him only throwing for 100 yards and 0 TDs?

Just throwing out a record and thinking that alone somehow makes a point is dumb and lazy.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, CommDownMan said:

So,  I see some notes that lose and Arizona can't draft ahead of us.   This is true,  but if they win (and Patriots) we would pick second in every round.   

Not as big of a deal as the 1st round,  but at this point I want it all.   

In that scenario it's really important that the Giants also win though. I don't want them be at #3 and pick Williams/Maye/MHJ/Daniels without having to pay for it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Panninho said:

In that scenario it's really important that the Giants also win though. I don't want them be at #3 and pick Williams/Maye/MHJ/Daniels without having to pay for it.

If we beat the Cowboys(I know it sounds impossible to do I know) but if we do and the Giants lose would they pick before us? I can't see the Giants beating the Eagles. 

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If the Giants trade up I am guessing Maye is their target.  During the college season, I keep reading about their interest in Drake. 

Here in lies another irritating point about us continuing to be hampered moving forward. Who knows what our own scouts have been doing / looking at for the upcoming draft. Not knowing what they should be looking at, not knowing who will be here and in reality treading water. I'm sure they have been putting in work but I imagine it's without much guidance. Giants for example have had the time and guidance of where to focus. We are going to be behind most teams going into the off season.

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

It's truly bizarre. I thought we got rid of that nonsense with the "He just wins!" crap thrown out about poor-to-mediocre QBs like Alex Smith, Jimmy G, and He Who Must Not Be Named.

It's more nuanced than that. You need to look at what the QB is actually doing during the wins and losses. Is his team losing despite him throwing for 400 yards and 4 TDs because his defense is completely new to the idea of tackling? Is his team winning despite him only throwing for 100 yards and 0 TDs?

Just throwing out a record and thinking that alone somehow makes a point is dumb and lazy.

Definitely. But I do like the fourth-quarter comeback wins stat as a measure of clutch play. Also somewhat team dependent I know, but really all QB stats are at least a little bit team dependent.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Here in lies another irritating point about us continuing to be hampered moving forward. Who knows what our own scouts have been doing / looking at for the upcoming draft. Not knowing what they should be looking at, not knowing who will be here and in reality treading water. I'm sure they have been putting in work but I imagine it's without much guidance. Giants for example have had the time and guidance of where to focus. We are going to be behind most teams going into the off season.

That’s not really how it works though, it’s fine not to telegraph your interest by sending a bus load of people to every game. Our scouts have still been on the road evaluating all the same guys in their areas and will all soon return to the nest to compile their reports—and whoever we hire will oversee all that and compile their board. Whoever we hire at GM (and any assistants they hire and promote from other teams) will also have their own read on these guys, and know the sorts of reports their current organization has been collecting on them for multiple years. We’re going to be fine, teams do this every offseason (turn over their FO executives and coaching staff). Obviously in future years when the GM & Co. have all their handpicked scouts on the road, it’ll probably be a smoother process. But lots of boots-on-the-ground scouts like that survive regime change so who knows. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5

41 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I would think a new GM who is coming in might have their own person or scouting agency they can tap (ala Scott McCloughan's services) to augment what the existing scouting staff has done. I don't think a new GM comes in and asks the outgoing scouting staff who their QB is and goes with it. I very much expect they would use outside counsel and their own opinions.

RE: the Giants. If they were to trade up, they'd have to get ahead of us. If they do, that means they'd need to trade up with the Bears. If they do that for Drake Maye, that's fine ... they will have to give up a boatload of future picks to do so. And that then means we get Caleb Williams at #2. Now if our guy is Maye, that sucks. But Caleb Williams as a consolation prize? Please.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

If we beat the Cowboys(I know it sounds impossible to do I know) but if we do and the Giants lose would they pick before us? I can't see the Giants beating the Eagles. 

With current SoS that would be the case.

3 hours ago, Panninho said:

Eagles talking about resting guys, I think that could give the Giants a chance.  I'll add them to the winner wish list.

11 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I have to think ATL did not give up a 2nd for Sweat because they were saving it for Fields.

They also have the 9th pick at the moment. Move up? Maybe best for them to draft one then sign a castoff, when do they ever work?

I don't have an opinion on the top QBs, but if Rattler slides towards day 3, I'm taking him too. I'd happily carry 3 QBs on the roster. Something about Rattler just seems winner to me, but I know we have to go QB in the top 5.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

9 hours ago, skinsarethebest said:

I’ve seen a few where the Giants move up to as high as 1 and end up with Williams….  Would be a terrible outcome (for us) imho

Daniel Jones contract that was just signed a year ago? Not so sure they take a QB.

• Like 1

If the Commanders beat the Cowboys, and the Patriots beat the Jets, we'd still pick #3 if the 3* scenario plays out otherwise. We'd fall back behind the Cardinals who would move up to #2.

Actually, if the Commanders, Patriots and Cardinals all win, and the 3* matchups play out in our favor, we'd still pick #2. 

Here's how the SoS would play out in that scenario:

image.png.3055d9630502ca6f70f970313b1baa5a.png

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

It's a factor, IF a team loses, the QB takes the blame most of the time. Is the team losing because the QB cannot get the job done in crunch time, while passing for 400 yards because he sucks in the redzone. Cannot win a playoff game..... while getting the big bucks. While the QB who throws for 250 yards and moves the chain's and plays great in the Redzone and performs in crunch time. K. Cousins comes to mind, cannot get it done in crunch time. 

42 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

With current SoS that would be the case.

Eagles talking about resting guys, I think that could give the Giants a chance.  I'll add them to the winner wish list.

Sure would like to see a win by the Giants

Edited by skinsfan66

53 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

They can still win the division. Why would they be resting guys ??

30 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If the Commanders beat the Cowboys, and the Patriots beat the Jets, we'd still pick #3 if the 3* scenario plays out otherwise. We'd fall back behind the Cardinals who would move up to #2.

Actually, if the Commanders, Patriots and Cardinals all win, and the 3* matchups play out in our favor, we'd still pick #2. 

Here's how the SoS would play out in that scenario:

image.png.3055d9630502ca6f70f970313b1baa5a.png

Just a little more info, hopefully not already provided earlier...

SoS tiebreaking vs. the Giants. Three of the same as the NE "who to root for" games, but all three have double weight.

2023TankSoSvsGiants.thumb.jpg.f1bf1c2d60b44bbdb924f400517a149d.jpg

• Like 1

My preference would be that we get the 2nd pick, Cardinals get the 3rd pick, Patriots 4th and Giants 5th. 

That way if the Bears want to trade down but still want MHJ, we are their only potential trade partner because AZ would take him at 3. It would also make it a lot harder (if the Bears take a QB) for the Giants to get one of the top 3 guys without trading up. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, SkinsNatsFan said:

Just a little more info, hopefully not already provided earlier...

SoS tiebreaking vs. the Giants. Three of the same as the NE "who to root for" games, but all three have double weight.

2023TankSoSvsGiants.thumb.jpg.f1bf1c2d60b44bbdb924f400517a149d.jpg

Yeah, basically two out of three of those games need to go our way. Rooting for Las Vegas, New Orleans and Green Bay. 

• Like 2