Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

5 hours ago, zCommander said:

No not misreading at all. It should be the GM and the coach who should have a final say. The owner(s) needs to worry about getting a new stadium and such instead and not worry about making inroads with one of the QB in the draft. 

Disagree with this. Like the poster had stated, IF the new GM and HC are totally in on this guy, then it's already their final say and not the owners. If the football operations people want him, it'd be foolish not to use every resource to try and obtain him, including Magic Johnson. 

10 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

As long as they’re willing to move off #1, it probably won’t take much to swap 2 for 1 and they can still get Harrison. If the bears don’t want a QB it’s only good news for us at #2

Got to convince the Bears we only like one of the QBs though. Because if they believe we take either of Williams/Maye, then moving down to #3 is equally good for them. This might result in a bidding war with the Patriots who also need a QB and might want to move up from #3 to take their desired one. Would be good if the Patriots win next week because Arizona at 3 would scare the Bears if they really want MHJ. 

So if they Bears really decide to stick with Fields (still doubt that happens), we got to root for a Patriots win even more as it will likely make a move up to #1 cheaper.

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 1

Hate to sound so negative as we've a great draft pick regardless, cap space, new owner and GM on the way, but....

I can't see any scenario where the Bears pass on Williams. They've never had a real pro bowl QB in their history, and Fields is far too inconsistent and still hasn't played a full season for them yet. 

even if we were to package a load of picks I can't see it mattering as they've their own pick (c.10 to get a lineman to block for Williams)

Can't see any reason why they'd pass up Williams to have Fields throwing to MHJ unless  they got a load of firsts and even I think they'd stick with Williams 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

All of these games going our way the last 2 weeks has me pretty excited.  Happy to see games next week that will really matter to us, this will be a lot of fun. Gotta hope New Orleans takes care of business at home.  I never thought we'd get to 2, I was going to try to convince myself on Daniels but the guy I really want is Drake Maye because the Bears have to take Williams.  If the FO prefers Daniels I'll respect their knowledge,, regardless draft day is going to be awesome. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 2

I’ve lurked around here, and the 2024 draft thread, for a while without posting. I used to follow college to NFL recruits religiously, but that has waned the past couple years with retirement, and moving to paradise.

That said, I can also say with full conviction, that I have watched Drake Maye play far more than anyone else on this site. Drake played at our local high school in Charlotte (was a sophomore starter in my youngest’s senior year), and I went to most every game he played, including playoffs.

My assessment of Drake is that he is a superior athlete. He was also an amazing basketball player for the Myers Park HS team. Good mobility, strong arm, and a bright enough kid. Where he has been lacking, is in his ability to perform in the biggest games. He is not putting the team on his back, and winning, when things aren’t clicking.

I watched him lose a couple HS playoff games to good teams, but teams that could’ve been beaten, had he stepped up. The 2022 season was a microcosm of this. He played very well against mediocre ACC competition throughout the season, putting up huge numbers. Come the ACC Championship, a very good Clemson defense completely shut him down.

I have also noticed that while Drake has a good arm, he doesn’t have an Allen/Mahomes-like howitzer, and will try to fit passes into tight windows that lead to interceptions or incompletions. 

While I think Drake can be a solid starting QB in the NFL, I, personally, see his ceiling as a Kirk Cousins. I definitely do not see him as an early (top 5) draft pick.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

12 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

I’ve lurked around here, and the 2024 draft thread, for a while without posting. I used to follow college to NFL recruits religiously, but that has waned the past couple years with retirement, and moving to paradise.

That said, I can also say with full conviction, that I have watched Drake Maye play far more than anyone else on this site. Drake played at our local high school in Charlotte (was a sophomore starter in my youngest’s senior year), and I went to most every game he played, including playoffs.

My assessment of Drake is that he is a superior athlete. He was also an amazing basketball player for the Myers Park HS team. Good mobility, strong arm, and a bright enough kid. Where he has been lacking, is in his ability to perform in the biggest games. He is not putting the team on his back, and winning, when things aren’t clicking.

I watched him lose a couple HS playoff games to good teams, but teams that could’ve been beaten, had he stepped up. The 2022 season was a microcosm of this. He played very well against mediocre ACC competition throughout the season, putting up huge numbers. Come the ACC Championship, a very good Clemson defense completely shut him down.

I have also noticed that while Drake has a good arm, he doesn’t have an Allen/Mahomes-like howitzer, and will try to fit passes into tight windows that lead to interceptions or incompletions. 

While I think Drake can be a solid starting QB in the NFL, I, personally, see his ceiling as a Kirk Cousins. I definitely do not see him as an early (top 5) draft pick.

It is concerning to read this and it kind of goes against the reviews I have read from the scouts.  I hope they are right.

So if NE beats the Jets and we lose that's it right? We don't have to worry about the other games or is New Orleans still a big one?

55 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

All of these games going our way the last 2 weeks has me pretty excited.  Happy to see games next week that will really matter to us, this will be a lot of fun. Gotta hope New Orleans takes care of business at home.  I never thought we'd get to 2, I was going to try to convince myself on Daniels but the guy I really want is Drake Maye because the Bears have to take Williams.  If the FO prefers Daniels I'll respect their knowledge,, regardless draft day is going to be awesome.

Maye is more broadly translatable than Daniels.  Daniels will require a coaching staff with a very tailored plan for him, which is why I think Maye goes #2.  I prefer Maye too, but if Daniels is the choice at 2 over Maye, I'd question the decision but be patient with it.  I would assume our new coaches have a workable plan for building a Jayden Daniels offense, and that they liked his intangible make up better.

I believe there are many ways to skin a cat when it comes to picking and developing a QB, and I can see all three of these QBs becoming dominant NFL players and franchise QBs.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see the impact on Daniels’ draft hype if Lamar and the Ravens win a SB this year.  I think there’s still a bit of hesitancy in league circles when it comes to fully buying in and building a team around a skill set like Lamar’s / Daniels’ but while I think most of that has largely been put to rest over the last several years, Lamar winning the SB (especially as the league and SB MVP) would put the final nail in the coffin on that whole trope IMO, and it may start leading to whispers of Daniels as QB1. We’ll see. 

• Like 2

I believe Daniels fits our team better because IF we do pick him and then have to go OT later or in FA he gives us the best framework for an offense that can use designed runs with him moreso than Maye which will slow down the pass rush and even make the rush lanes for the RB even better. Designed running qbs clearly improve the overall run game and you don't hear them being sacked as much when they do pass. The issue has been can those same QBs drop back and pass from the pocket during a 2min drill to win the game and I believe Daniels is the best medium to deep thrower from the pocket in the draft.

If we want Williams I think it's likely we'll need to move up to #1 to get him because IF the Bears declare Fields is their man they're gonna get offers from other teams.

However, if they want Harrison they could sit tight, but either way I think they're gonna have fun toying with us if we stay at #2. 

Hell, if the Bears play this right, they could make two separate trades and slide back to #3 while still landing Harrison and a mother load of draft picks going into 2025...

• Like 1

I cannot imagine what's going through Fields head being 24 years old and entire stadium demanding that you not be replaced with a new draft pick.

He's earned that fan base respect, and it's hard to say Chicago doesn't know good or bad QBs when they see them (all the ones they've gotten wrong and the merciless reign of Favre-Rodgers back to back).

As a front office you need to make a choice quickly not to damage this man's confidence or make the fan bases voice pointless on this matter. Be bold, say you taking Harrison #1 and go talk to Washington if you want to trade up for Caleb Williams.

46 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It will be interesting to see the impact on Daniels’ draft hype if Lamar and the Ravens win a SB this year.  I think there’s still a bit of hesitancy in league circles when it comes to fully buying in and building a team around a skill set like Lamar’s / Daniels’ but while I think most of that has largely been put to rest over the last several years, Lamar winning the SB (especially as the league and SB MVP) would put the final nail in the coffin on that whole trope IMO, and it may start leading to whispers of Daniels as QB1. We’ll see. 

Agree, IMO largely dependent on the staff but if it's truly wanting to emulate the Ravens org with FO and coach, I could see a great desire to see a running/mobile QB like Daniels, Williams or for that matter Justin Fields (if available)

https://sports.yahoo.com/bears-trading-justin-fields-gms-explain-why-its-the-best-route-and-where-compensation-could-land-153257987.html

How much would Fields command on the trade market at this point?

GM one: A second-round and fourth-round pick, pending a “good finish” to the season.

GM two: A second-round pick, pending a “strong finish” to the season.

GM three: A third-round pick, plus another late-round pick that could escalate one round based on performance.

GM four: One third-round pick in the 2024 draft, one fourth-round pick in the 2025 draft.

GM five: A third-round pick or a second-round draft pick for Fields, plus a late-round pick back from the Bears.

GMs six and seven had the same proposal: A third-round pick, pending the finish of this season.

I think Chicago takes Williams (their regime did not draft Fields) and trades Fields.  I see Atlanta as the ideal fit for Fields if their coaching staff stays.  He fits that run oriented offense.  They won't get a 1st for Fields, but I think they'll get a 2nd+change for him.

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

I want to add one more thing to my above post. My youngest (senior when Maye was a sophomore at Myers Park HS) went to U Mich. and graduated in 2022. My mother also grew up in Ann Arbor, therefore I have watched every Michigan game that JJ McCarthy has played.

I think JJ has a superior skill set to Drake. While an inch shorter, and about 20 lbs. lighter than Maye, McCarthy is quicker and faster than Maye, and has a bit better arm strength to my eye. 

I don’t think JJ is excellent in his pre-snap reads, and can sometimes go through progressions slowly, but if the play develops, he can make it. He has been described as a hard worker, and puts in lots of tape study time.

If I were an NFL O coordinator, I would prefer working with McCarthy’s skill set. I believe his ceiling is higher than Maye’s.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KDawg said:

6 inches?

What?

Howell is 6-1.

Maye is 6-4.

Sounds like he’s been lying about what “6 inches” is his whole life…

Based on “reports” I have a Kyler Murray feel to Williams. Uber athletic, undersized, with personality questions. I’m not sure I love either of the top QBs this year. It’s also entirely dependent on who our GM and Coach are. While there are exceptions good (Herbert) and bad (Lance), most successful QBs are drafted into good, stable coaching staffs and organizations. It feels funny saying we might be one of those orgs.

Im looking forward to the analysis here, from Brugler, the QB School et al. 

• Like 4

I would take Daniels over Maye.

I want none of may at all. I find it scary that he will be a top 15 pick

Daniels has insane speed. His big question is how can he be with timing and an intermediate routes? Haven’t really seen him really have to do that 

Just now, Skins199021 said:

I would take Daniels over Maye.

I want none of may at all. I find it scary that he will be a top 15 pick

Daniels has insane speed. His big question is how can he be with timing and an intermediate routes? Haven’t really seen him really have to do that 

He’s extremely inaccurate in the short stuff. The intermediate is fine as long as the receivers separate. If there is a defender capping a route and there is a limited space to throw he struggles.

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I cannot imagine what's going through Fields head being 24 years old and entire stadium demanding that you not be replaced with a new draft pick.

He's earned that fan base respect, and it's hard to say Chicago doesn't know good or bad QBs when they see them (all the ones they've gotten wrong and the merciless reign of Favre-Rodgers back to back).

As a front office you need to make a choice quickly not to damage this man's confidence or make the fan bases voice pointless on this matter. Be bold, say you taking Harrison #1 and go talk to Washington if you want to trade up for Caleb Williams.

If you come out and say who you’re drafting you’re making a gigantic mistake, imo. Eliminates all leverage.

And if Washington winds up 3 or 4 it would be a mistake to trade with them. Harrison is likely gone in that case. If they’re 2? Why not? 

31 minutes ago, TrustTheProcessHTTR said:

I believe Daniels fits our team better because IF we do pick him and then have to go OT later or in FA he gives us the best framework for an offense that can use designed runs with him moreso than Maye which will slow down the pass rush and even make the rush lanes for the RB even better. Designed running qbs clearly improve the overall run game and you don't hear them being sacked as much when they do pass. The issue has been can those same QBs drop back and pass from the pocket during a 2min drill to win the game and I believe Daniels is the best medium to deep thrower from the pocket in the draft.

I think Maye is way better at managing pressure than Daniels.  Daniels was 1-2 run this year, and clean pockets were the rule for his offense, not the exception.  He had all day to throw this year, and that's why they hit so many explosive vertical plays.  UNC's protection was trash and Maye was really good about managing and creating around that limitation in their offense.  Ditto for Caleb Williams.

The lack of production in NFL throwing windows against NFL pressure are the biggest concerns I have about Daniels compared to the other two.

But I agree with you that QBs who are legitimate weapons in the run game take the ceiling off your team's run game.  But I'd also be hesitant to go all in on a Jalen Hurts type of running QB scheme with Daniels because Daniels gets blown up on a lot of his runs and isn't good about protecting himself + he is very slender and lanky.

• Like 1

Caleb Williams vs top 25 defenses

As a Bears fan it concerns me seeing so many people talk about Caleb Williams as a generational prospect at QB. I don't think the Notre Dame game was anything special it just exposed all of Williams weaknesses that get hidden vs bad defenses. I did some digging into Caleb Williams' numbers when playing against a top 25 scoring D (per CFB reference) and the results are not pretty. He's played 5 P5 top 25 defenses and has had 1 decent game and 4 bad to terrible games. The numbers kind of speak for themselves. The guy has yet to prove he can play against top college defenses let alone NFL Ds.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1