Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - Week 3 - The Commanders vs. The Bills

zCommander

Watching the Giants @ 49ers sort of gave me visions of how our game with the Bills could go on Sunday should we miss the early opportunities that the 49ers were giving the Giants.   The final score of that game didn't really reflect that for most of the game it was a 1 possession game.  In no world would I suggest the Giants are anywhere close to the 49ers level, but I'll reiterate that often times September football is a month for those sneaky upsets because a lot of teams will have individual great performances but the team game is shoddy & inconsistent.  Brock Purdy tried to throw the ball to the Giants defense at least 3 times in the first half of a what was at that point a close game.  One of the time  Kittle played hero and knocked a would be INT away, but there were 2 other times the ball was just in no man's land and the Giants secondary simply dropped it.   

If we get those opportunities against Josh (most INTs since 2021) Allen early on, we absolutely must cash in.  Even if we don't score points off the turnovers, it is still taking away possessions from that offense.  When you up against a better/more complete team than you, turnovers can make the difference in the game.

Lastly I'll say, when taking on teams considered to be superbowl contenders, to me there are two objectives. The first always is to win the game, but secondly, if you don't win, at least be competitive and show you belong there.  If the game comes down to a final possession and/or something along the lines of Buffalo kicking a game winning field goal with under a minute to go.....I will still be annoyed at the lost, but I will at least come away feeling our team is already built to compete and just needs a few upgrades to get to that next tier.  However if the game ends up something like 31-17....then that is an entirely different feeling after the game. 

• Like 8

As we go against a team that seems better and maybe faster than us, I find myself reliving thoughts from my old soccer team , as i wondered, "ok, you may run your 40 time faster than me, but are you faster sliding in the mud than I am?"I think after 2 days of steady and at times heavy rain, I predict the commanders win an ugly mud bowl 24-21

Probably posted already....

33 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Very interesting move.

Predictable IMO... going into the game with 2 TEs dictated this move.

Especially since I think EB's playbook spreads the ball around so we need TE options.  Code for go add Cole Turner in DFS.

• Like 1

I think the Bills will be taking command most of the game similar to Week 3 matchup back in 2021. We got a decent team but the Bills just are more complete and if Allen plays more like last week then the first week, then will be a tough outing.

Though I think there will still be aspects of the game to be excited about for the future but just a complete game on all sides of the ball against a consistent playoff team.

18 minutes ago, PigskinRedskin said:

I think the Bills will be taking command most of the game similar to Week 3 matchup back in 2021. We got a decent team but the Bills just are more complete and if Allen plays more like last week then the first week, then will be a tough outing.

Though I think there will still be aspects of the game to be excited about for the future but just a complete game on all sides of the ball against a consistent playoff team.

What happened two years ago is irrelevant to this year though. Turner was bad at situational play calling and adjustments. EB is not, as it was evident in the 2nd half vs the Broncos. We also lost Chase that year too. Allen will be facing Chase Young with full force along with the rest our D. This game is very winnable and has to be played for 4 qts though. 

Also we have Howell so there is that too. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I would imagine if you asked Justin fields the same question he'd tell you he already knows the coverage pre snap.

Most quarterbacks at least think they do, hopefully he's one of the ones who's right.

At least he's not a dumbass calling out his coaches like Justin.  Talking the talk... kids 3-0 so he's doing something right. Especially with 3 playbooks in 3 years. He'll get fooled when teams figure out what EB is doing and he'll come crashing back to earth - a challenge all young QBs face.  Recognizing D's may take a back seat to turnovers for rooks.

Speaking of turnovers the key is our D tomorrow. Get a helmet right on Allen's chin ass early and set the tone and go to force turnovers especially if the bumpkin is wet. 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

At least he's not a dumbass calling out his coaches like Justin.  Talking the talk... kids 3-0 so he's doing something right. Especially with 3 playbooks in 3 years. He'll get fooled when teams figure out what EB is doing and he'll come crashing back to earth - a challenge all young QBs face.  Recognizing D's may take a back seat to turnovers for rooks.

Speaking of turnovers the key is our D tomorrow. Get a helmet right on Allen's chin ass early and set the tone and go to force turnovers especially if the bumpkin is wet. 

My intention was not really to compare him to Justin fields just point out that words don't mean much.

He's obviously better at reading the field than (pun intended) fields.

9 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

I'm not actually concerned about the offense for this game.  The defense step up especially after the the Denver game.  If the front 4 can be disciplined in their rush and the back 7 are better in coverage, this game can be won.

All we need are screen passes with good blocking, good one cut running plays and the occasional slant / hitch to McLaurin and Dotson. 

Easy plays with one main cut, keep the defense sliding and us taking care of the ball and being decisive. I believe in EB being able to do this, I've really enjoyed watching his offenses and the boys can play in the mud. I'm scared of Buffalos safeties though they are very good

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

I would imagine if you asked Justin fields the same question he'd tell you he already knows the coverage pre snap.

Most quarterbacks at least think they do, hopefully he's one of the ones who's right.

It’s relatively easy to see the coverage pre snap. The trick is seeing it after the ball is snapped …

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A mudball IMO favor us.  The Bills biggest weapon is Josh Allen.  So slowing down their passing game helps. 

The Bills had 183 yards rushing against the Raiders. James Cook had 123 of those. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MartinC said:

relatively easy to see the coverage pre snap. The trick is seeing it after the ball is snapped

No doubt, I almost mentioned that too.

If you can't tell what the coverage is pre snap your not going to be a very good quarterback. 

I took the comment to mean he can tell what the other team is trying to fool him with by disguising coverage. 

7 minutes ago, redskinss said:

No doubt, I almost mentioned that too.

If you can't tell what the coverage is pre snap your not going to be a very good quarterback. 

I took the comment to mean he can tell what the other team is trying to fool him with by disguising coverage. 

Yep. Certainly at NFL level is very rare that what a D shows you pre snap is what they run post snap. Same with pressure packages. 

Sam’s shown he’s getting his eyes in the right place to see post snap coverages - I think him understanding where and when he is ‘hot’ from a pressure perspective is a work in progress. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 9/18/2023 at 8:42 PM, zCommander said:

This is from NFL.com

bills.jpg.7d38c7cbcda9ff112f664cefb6ca11bd.jpg

I am going to go with my gut here since we got the better D and Howell: 

Us 27

Them 24

image.thumb.png.59a672abb3b8aeef605048309dd79657.pngI never forget when we ran 10 men on D as a tribute to ST21, and Buffalo ran a sideline play for like 15 yards

F BUF!!!

let’s pound it w B-Rob in the mud pit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

I think the big difference is that Sam's play appears to mostly back the statement up. I'm sure he still gets fooled by coverages every once in a while, but he seems like he usually knows where to go with the ball, even if he still holds on to it for too long at times. If Fields said that people would probably just roll their eyes.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Unfortunately, I agree with your brain. This team is fun, exciting, and we have a real future, but we're not on the level of the Chiefs, Eagles, Bills, or 9ers yet. I still see 8 or 9 wins, and some significant offseason turnover in the front office and most likely the coaching staff.

27-13 Bills. People are really sleeping on James Cook and their run game. Even if it's a sloppy, wet, mess of a game, I think the Bills outclass us.

Yes, Cook is extremely impressive.