Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Denver

KDawg

6 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm gonna need to see a lot more outta EB moving forward. Not impressed to date.

He was bad vs Arizona and Godawful for most of the 1st half vs Den.

I don't award full credit for racking up stats in a blowout situation, which is where most of EB's good has come from after we were down 20-3. That is not emblematic of good O, its more a case of getting what the opposing D allows you to get after they are fat and happy. Its similar to early last year when our O was putting up some gawdy upper end of the NFL numbers but only after the other team went up 3 scores.

I won't write the book after 2 games, but 6 Qtrs of bad and 2Qtrs of good aint cutting it in the least. And that's before we get to the penalty problem.

While a lot of stuff like the poor gameplanning vs Den or the imbalance of the O can be chalked up to growing pains and to be expected, this is the NFL and you gotta preform.

With all due respect I jsut do not see how you come to any of these conclusions. And sorry but the first bolded makes absolutely no sense at all. That was NOT garbage time. It was when the team still was in the game and had a chacne to come back - as they did. And when Denver knew we had to be aggressive and they could pin thier ears back. It's not like it was 21-3 with 8 mins left in the 4th Q and we threw in 2 desperation TDs. As evidenced by the eventual win, we still had a real chance. Now fair enough, Denver is not exactly a juggernasut. And I expect the team to take step back next week asa the Bills D, while not awesome, is better than Denvers. 

But making any kind of conclusions like above after only 2 gms in, is extreme even for here, and that is saying something. 😂   New OC, new QB in just his 3rd career start, all new Oline (not a good one, but mostly new moving parts). 55 pts in two games - both victories! Not even diving into the detailed stats. I think winning is preforming (sorry, could not help myself) enough. Not to mention coming back from a 21-3 deficit, not in garbage time but the first half!  Then he made even more adjustments. 

And your saying 6 bad Qs is false. Ok they didn't score a bunch of points, but Off was moving. And seriously, you have to give them at least a minute to figure out what works and what doesn't. They haven't even had time to geet into more than 60% of the playbook if that.

A total of 131 snaps, all time together. And you are drawing conclusions about his offense and philosophy? That sounds like an opinion looking for place to land, not any kind of analysis. He may not be a genios but he is much beter than who have had here in a long time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

That was NOT garbage time. It was when the team still was in the game and had a chacne to come back

I never called it garbage time. It was however wind assisted.

I drew no conclusions. I legit said I'm not writing the book after 2 games.

I simply pointed out that a very poor offensive showing vs Ariz and 1/2 a bad showing vs Den is not good enough for me, and I need to see better moving forward.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You’re on an island on this one….

Doesnt make you wrong.  Just lonely.  

Not the first time, and I'm good with that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I never called it garbage time. It was however wind assisted.

You said blowout situatiion - that implies garbage time and that yards and scores are easier. Playing semantics here. 

16 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I drew no conclusions. I legit said I'm not writing the book after 2 games.

I simply pointed out that a very poor offensive showing vs Ariz and 1/2 a bad showing vs Den is not good enough for me, and I need to see better moving forward.

It was NOT a very poor offensive game against AZ. Was it great? No, but it was good enoguh to win. Aad the first half was so terrible they scored 14 pts to remain only a score behind. So 14 pts in one half and 21 the next is that much different? It's one score. And if Sly hits the FG he should have they would have had 17 (the 59 yarder can;t hlpd that one agasint him, poor coaching choice IMO).  

It was a rash take and again feels like a predetermined opinion of EB looking for a reason to be right. Is totally your right. But wow. I guess we will see how the rest of the season goes. There will be rough patches but I expect more ups than downs. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s an entirely new system for a limited OL and what equates to a rookie QB.  There’s going to be struggles.  His playcalling didn’t make the offense turn it over 3 times against AZ.

I think the difference is night and day.  The offense has tempo and EB shows fire, a stark contrast from Scott Turner.  I’m not crowning him but think it’s a serious stretch to say he’s been 75% bad.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm actually with ol' Riverboat on the long snapper situation. You can't just go swapping them in and out of your roster. Ruins the mojo. You get your long snapper and he plays 12-15 years and that's that. 

21 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

You said blowout situatiion - that implies garbage time and that yards and scores are easier. Playing semantics here. 

It was NOT a very poor offensive game against AZ. Was it great? No, but it was good enoguh to win. Aad the first half was so terrible they scored 14 pts to remain only a score behind. So 14 pts in one half and 21 the next is that much different? It's one score. And if Sly hits the FG he should have they would have had 17 (the 59 yarder can;t hlpd that one agasint him, poor coaching choice IMO).  

It was a rash take and again feels like a predetermined opinion of EB looking for a reason to be right. Is totally your right. But wow. I guess we will see how the rest of the season goes. There will be rough patches but I expect more ups than downs. 

Yo our offense was dog **** all day week one. The play calling hubris, the drops by old man Logan, the blocking in general. If our defense didn't dominate that game like they did, we lose.

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

It was NOT a very poor offensive game against AZ. Was it great? No, but it was good enoguh to win.

Our offensive yards total was about 40 yards worse than the average performance of the worst O in the NFL last year vs Ariz.

Our offense handed 10 pts to the opponents.

We won because our D gave up 6 points otherwise, not because of any kind of offensive quality. It was a terrible showing.

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Aad the first half was so terrible they scored 14 pts to remain only a score behind. So 14 pts in one half and 21 the next is that much different? It's one score.

The 1st 4 drives netted us 3 points. The playcalling was horrifically imbalanced. The gameplan was a dud that contributed to getting taken behind the woodshed. The only drive in the 1st half that reached the redzone was the one where we started in Den territory. No 1st half drive netted more than 50 yards. Comparing that to the second half is night and day.

Unfortunately by the time most of this stuff came to fruition we are down 3 scores and I'm in "I don't give full credit mode"

If EB going forward stacks some good games and does it w/o us getting housed first, my criticisms go away. Until then all I really have is one game with below the floor NFL production and one half-n-half that was wind assisted.

• Thumb down 2

Some of you guys are gonna get diarrhea from all these advanced stats/metrics and wind up missing a pretty fun season. 😆

@Conn Thanks for posting those Charles cut ups. He certainly is flawed but his good reps are super impressive. Let’s hope the staff can get a little more consistency out of him.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 3

18 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Our offensive yards total was about 40 yards worse than the average performance of the worst O in the NFL last year vs Ariz.

Our offense handed 10 pts to the opponents.

We won because our D gave up 6 points otherwise, not because of any kind of offensive quality. It was a terrible showing.

The 1st 4 drives netted us 3 points. The playcalling was horrifically imbalanced. The gameplan was a dud that contributed to getting taken behind the woodshed. The only drive in the 1st half that reached the redzone was the one where we started in Den territory. No 1st half drive netted more than 50 yards. Comparing that to the second half is night and day.

Unfortunately by the time most of this stuff came to fruition we are down 3 scores and I'm in "I don't give full credit mode"

If EB going forward stacks some good games and does it w/o us getting housed first, my criticisms go away. Until then all I really have is one game with below the floor NFL production and one half-n-half that was wind assisted.

AS @Voice_of_Reason said I think you are on an island on this one. And as they futher said, does not mean you are wrong, buuutttt 🙂   EB is at the very least better than what we had in years. Let's see how he and Sam grow togeter if that's indeed what happens. What I have seen is the willingness to make in game and from game to game adjustments. That is how you win a lot of games. And I like he is pass heavy - true it was a bit much the first half against Denver - but better than 3 downs and a cloud of dust. 

Fair enough to not like his play calling or even him, but wind assissted??  LOL  Really grasping there my friend.  🤣   

Hmmm, oddly nothing about a football sail. :cheers:

image.png.1f7df70781b034b31825ccd5a8170773.png

18 minutes ago, madden lot said:

I would love to kno how that poster felt after scott turner first two games.

This convo has been deja-vu for how I felt about our O at the start of last year. I hit many of the same beats.

Wentz was near the top of the NFL in multiple stats after the first 2 games if I remember correctly. He had multiple 300 yd games and a bunch of TDs. From a numbers standpoint, the O was absolutely humming.

But an offense does not get to throw up numbies in blowout situations and get full credit for that, at least not in my book. That is not indicative of a good offense, it is often telling of one that is struggling. And that is how it played out over the season.

Ex.jpg.1930037ff439a8e694b5dd7badccd996.jpg

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

So at 31%, we have the 2nd most TE dependent passing attack in the NFL right now?

That is what that means right?

It sure looks like it. It was clear to me before the season started EB coming from KC was going to try to Kelcify Logan Thomas and he hasn't disappointed.  Mind you those are targets not completions so it really shows what an OC is trying to do. 

• Thanks 1