Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Denver

KDawg

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This should be an interesting matchup.  That's the next matchup I am planning to see live.  I do think the teams are fairly evenly matched.  It sucks that they came back against the Cards.  But Thursday night against SF will be tough for them. 

I guess when you're outscored 46 to nothing in the first half this is a nice way of putting a bow on that pile of stink.

12 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I guess when you're outscored 46 to nothing in the first half this is a nice way of putting a bow on that pile of stink.

I hear you but they aren't saying for one game.  they said since 2022.  Yeah they stunk it up against Dallas.  Dallas owns the Giants in an even greater way than the Giants owns this team.  I hope that the Dallas game will define the Giants whole season but I suspect it won't.

Most agree, Daboll is a good coach.  Heck even Paulsen who works for this team likes Daboll over our coaching. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hear you but they aren't saying for one game.  they said since 2022.  Yeah they stunk it up against Dallas.  Dallas owns the Giants an even greater way than the Giants owns this team.  I hope that the Dallas games will define their whole season but I suspect it won't.

Most agree, Daboll is a good coach.  Heck even Paulsen who works for this team likes Daboll over our coaching. 

Yeah I noticed it went back a year but the article is brand new and there's so much stink on how they started the season its an obvious spin.

That said I agree a bad start does not define that coaching staff at all, it happens to the best of em.

But to come out with that stat now after having not scored at all in the two first halves you've played this year and try to frame it as a positive is almost insulting to the fanbase.

That stat could just as easily represent the fact they were terrible in the first half last year versus just better in the second.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

Yeah I noticed it went back a year but the article is brand new and there's so much stink on how they started the season its an obvious spin.

That said I agree a bad start does not define that coaching staff at all, it happens to the best of em.

But to come out with that stat now after having not scored at all in the two first haves you've played this year and try to frame it as a positive is almost insulting to the fanbase.

Agree bad timing on their end.  Though if I recall they came back from 20 points down in Arizona so I gather they are a bit jazzed because I think that losss would have been as devastating to them as it would be for this team in week 1. 

But SF on the road on a short week without Barkley I expect to be brutal for them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think EB is intentionally forcing it to the TE. I think some of it is by design because the OL can't hold up, so its easier to get it to the TEs short and underneath then wait for our WRs to get deep downfield. It looked like we were more TE heavy in Week 1 but focused on the WRs more in Week 2.

Not doubting you, but who'd you say was the primary target/clearly heaviest in the game plan, week 1, or 2, or combined. I find it hard to ignore the eye test 1st half week 1 and EBs 1st game leaving KelCe. Game 2 first quarter seemed a hot mess. I do think Logan was Howells intended target on the BRob TD REC week 1 yeah obviously that was not the play design but a Logan TD both weeks would open more eyes than just mine.

I do like to favor early drives in games to theorize who was featured in the game plan, because later on play calling changes based on defensive adjustments, losing big, drops arg etc.

Edited by RandyHolt

Down 21-3, exposed and bumbling, the Washington Commanders faced the first stress test of a new era. So Ron Rivera relied on an intangible that had been beaten out of every coach this franchise has had for nearly a quarter-century: faith.

“The crazy part is we were kind of waiting for something good to happen,” he said.

And the crazier part is that something good actually did.

On Sunday, it was linebacker Jamin Davis forcing a fumble from Denver Broncos quarterback Russell Wilson. Cody Barton recovered it for the Commanders, and it led to Washington’s first touchdown during a 35-33 comeback victory. Moving forward, it could ignite a season of resilience to signify an entire franchise attempting to make a dramatic comeback.

It’s too soon to announce the Commanders’ arrival as a contender. It has been a dozen years since they started 2-0, but that’s more sad than buzzworthy. The good vibes are undeniable, though, and these feelings transcend whether they make the playoffs this season. The energy now tilts toward expectation, not apprehension. You cannot be certain what the Josh Harris group will build, but you’re not automatically guarding against incompetence — or worse. It seems safe to wait for something good to happen.

...If so, the Commanders will be able to play the kind of complementary football they have flashed over two games. They won a defensive slugfest in Week 1. They showed the firepower to win a shootout in Week 2. Now they receive a Sunday visit from the Buffalo Bills, who have been Super Bowl contenders for several seasons. It’s a perfect time to step up the competition, and based on what I’ve seen, it would be disappointing if Washington didn’t play its best game and, at minimum, give the Bills a good challenge.

A team doesn’t learn to believe through only good times. Neither do an organization and its fan base, even if they deserve maximum joy after emerging from obnoxious ownership. Struggle is inevitable and necessary. For so long, Washington had deceiving moments. Everything looked fine until something went wrong. Then after the latest rickety plan fell apart, you realized something: Even the people who should have believed were pretending.

The Commanders don’t seem so fragile anymore. They expect more good to come from this season, and the crazy part is, we’re no longer preconditioned to consider that hope foolish.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/09/19/washington-commanders-hope/

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

A team doesn’t learn to believe through only good times. Neither do an organization and its fan base, even if they deserve maximum joy after emerging from obnoxious ownership. Struggle is inevitable and necessary. For so long, Washington had deceiving moments. Everything looked fine until something went wrong. Then after the latest rickety plan fell apart, you realized something: Even the people who should have believed were pretending.

The Commanders don’t seem so fragile anymore. They expect more good to come from this season, and the crazy part is, we’re no longer preconditioned to consider that hope foolish.

While I'm not sold on the last line, this encapsulates the feeling really well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

While I'm not sold on the last line, this encapsulates the feeling really well.

There might be something to good karma with Dan gone.  This team had a dark cloud over it during Dan's tenure.  Now that its gone, i expect it to change everything.  Now I didn't expect it to change super fast on all fronts.  But maybe it does?  Will see.   I am still expecting 2024 to be the season.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am still expecting 2024 to be the season.  

Just curious, what are your expectations for next year?

Are you thinking superbowl contender or just playoff team?

Also do you think it'll be this staff or a whole new slate from management to coaches?

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

with mostly our fans

I wouldn't count that chicken just yet, the bills fans do travel well and many probably bought tickets a long time ago.

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Also do you think it'll be this staff or a whole new slate from management to coaches?

I wouldn't count that chicken just yet, the bills fans do travel well and many probably bought tickets a long time ago.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Bills fans there, but the stadium wouldn't be full without our fans showing out.

The stands will not be dominated by Bills Mafia this week.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, redskinss said:

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Next year I expect a superbowl run. We have two major holes on this team and that's it. OL&LBer.

Whole new staff! 

I expect a GM from the Eagles, Lions, Ravens, Seahawks. I'm hoping that Staley gets canned as HC of the Chargers and becomes our DC. HC maybe Ben Johnson.

There is zero chance that Rivera is with the team next year.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Next year I expect a superbowl run. We have two major holes on this team and that's it. OL&LBer.

Whole new staff! 

I expect a GM from the Eagles, Lions, Ravens, Seahawks. I'm hoping that Staley gets canned as HC of the Chargers and becomes our DC. HC maybe Ben Johnson.

There is zero chance that Rivera is with the team next year.

You really think a whole new staff from top to bottom is going to make a superbowl run?

That's confidence.

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

You really think a whole new staff from top to bottom is going to make a superbowl run?

That's confidence.

I think this roster is stacked, but it's limited because of RonMart and Jack.

Bring in forward thinking GM and coaches, bring in a veteran LBer like Wagner or David. Sign Tyron Smith for LT and draft OT in the first, LBer in the second and IOL in the third, bring back all our potential FAs and that team is a legit contender. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think this roster is stacked, but it's limited because of RonMart and Jack.

Bring in forward thinking GM and coaches, bring in a veteran LBer like Wagner or David. Sign Tyron Smith for LT and draft OT in the first, LBer in the second and IOL in the third, bring back all our potential FAs and that team is a legit contender. 

Hopefully RR retires, all he does during games is stand there, but I doubt it goes down that way. Bieniemy is very likely going to get a job somewhere else. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I kinda agree, but it is only his rookie year, 2 games in and he is getting deflections. He hasn't demonstrated Carlos Rogers or Josh Norman hands just yet. 

I'm not critiquing him. That was in a response to what we need to win against Buffalo conversation.

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

Hopefully RR retires, all he does during games is stand there, but I doubt it goes down that way. Bieniemy is very likely going to get a job somewhere else. 

I'm still not sold on EB, so I don't really care that much. I think he's an improvement and pretty much what we needed, but he's not the future.

26 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

If I was Bieniemy I would stay with the Skins until Andy Reid is ready to retire and then go for the Kansas City Head Coaching job.

I would not want to "pay my dues" on bottom feeder teams if I don't have to do so.

He does have to do so. He’s doing it right now after making a basically unprecedented move to be our assistant HC/OC after 15+ failed interviews for the top job. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

He does have to do so. He’s doing it right now after making a basically unprecedented move to be our assistant HC/OC after 15+ failed interviews for the top job. 

It's possible the growth and production of Sam Howell (if it continues to happen) could help elevate EB as an offensive mind to where he doesn't have to chase HC jobs that have no quarterback. We all know head coaches in the NFL that don't have a quarterback are screwed. The career longevity is what, like, 2 years? Maybe even just 1?

I don’t think this narrative that “we might win because Josh Allen could **** the bed” mindset is healthy or accurate.

Why shouldn’t we be competitive in this game? The Bills will have their hands full with our front four. A well timed turnover or a big play on offense and I expect us to be right in the mix.

I’m not predicting a win this week but I don’t think us having a chance to win is predicated on the Bills sucking. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

If I was Bieniemy I would stay with the Skins until Andy Reid is ready to retire and then go for the Kansas City Head Coaching job.

I would not want to "pay my dues" on bottom feeder teams if I don't have to do so.

No guarantees. If you get a shot at a HC you gotta take it. And at this rate he absolutely will get offers at season's end. I bet a team like the Chargers or Bears would love to have him work with their young QB if Howell keeps developing at the pace he's developing at.

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

If Howell is the goods, and so far so good on that front.   I'd guess 11-6. 12-5 range.

The defense looks good.  Maybe the secondary hasn't lived up yet to the preseason hype but I like their potential.  Give Jamin another LB and wow the defense can be even better.

On offense, I think they need a RB with breakaway speed -- homerun hitter.  And add two new tackles and move Wylie to guard.

They can do that in an off season IMO.

• Like 3