Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2023 Roster Cuts News & Speculation Thread

MartinC

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/five-teams-put-in-waiver-claims-for-elijah-higgins-cardinals-had-highest-priority

Five NFL teams put in waiver claims for Higgins a day after he failed to make the Dolphins’ 53-player roster, according to Field Yates of ESPN. That made him the most-claimed player in the NFL, with the Colts, Titans, Commanders and Packers all putting in claims but the Cardinals getting him because they were the highest in the waiver priority list. (The waiver order is the same as the NFL draft order, so the Cardinals get third priority, after the Bears and Texans.)

This does make sense. A couple of us identified him as a possible 7th round prospect for us. Glad to see they put forth this effort. 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

FYI, Gore turns 29 this season.  To your point though, I think that’s exactly what the PS is - a combo of guys you trust to step into a backup role if an injury occurs, and guys you like that need developing.  Though, and I think this is the case with this group, the focus continues to be on mostly younger players (even with the rule change).

I did not realize Gore was 29. I thought I'd read it was his second year in the NFL and assumed he was more like 23.

My posts point was meant to be that I wish they had increased the roster size by a few players, then added a PS as a room from the young players only to grow, learn, be stashed...

I wonder if when a guy like Matt Corral makes it through waivers if they would reach out to him or if it is just an automatic that he returns to Carolina. He would be the type of player that would be a nice get for the PS although highly doubtful they's have a shot. 

Edited by DWinzit

1 hour ago, Conn said:

If it was Cooley discussing the plays you’d know it, bc he’d be hanging dong 

What a coincidence, I went to school with a kid named Hanging Dong. His parents must have had a wicked sense of humour.

(I didn’t really, it’s just that I’ve got nothing to add to this thread and I’m starting to feel left out).

• Haha 13
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I did not realize Gore was 29. I thought I'd read it was his second year in the NFL and assumed he was more like 23.

My posts point was meant to be that I wish they had increased the roster size by a few players, then added a PS as a room from the young players only to grow, learn, be stashed...

I wonder if when a guy like Matt Corral makes it through waivers if they would reach out to him or if it is just an automatic that he returns to Carolina. He would be the type of player that would be a nice get for the PS although highly doubtful they's have a shot. 

Ah, gotcha.  Totally agree.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, London Kev said:

What a coincidence, I went to school with a kid named Hanging Dong. His parents must have had a wicked sense of humour.

(I didn’t really, it’s just that I’ve got nothing to add to this thread and I’m starting to feel left out).

Was he related to Long Duck Dong of 16 candles fame?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Wonder if he's related to a certain LB who... nevermind... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, London Kev said:

Well, I did work with a girl named Bich, said exactly like it spelled (her parents didn't hate her, she was a nationalized US citizen from Vietnam). I did have a friend in HS last name Head whose mother had wanted to name him Richard (so you know what kids would have called him if that had happened). My uncle was named Gerald Dean, he hated school because all the kids called him Geraldine.

13 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Well, I did work with a girl named Bich...

I went to St Philip's with a Vietnamese girl who had the same name... then there's Wong Kok in South Riding...and a certain OB/GYN in Fairfax when I was a kid who had a rather odd name...

Well, never mind on my PS suggestion earlier today. Looks like Belichick traded in athletic Malik Cunningham for a more talented Matt Corral

Patriots claimed QB Matt Corral, formerly of the Panthers.
Corral was waived by the Panthers a day after roster cutdown day but is now headed to New England. The former third-round pick, whose 2022 was cut short by an injury before Week 1, will now have a chance to catch on with the Patriots on their practice squad. Corral brings a productive college profile to the pros that includes more than 8,200 passing yards, 57 touchdowns, and 23 interceptions but has struggled in preseason action. Through five career preseason games, he’s completed 71-of-84 passes for 318 yards, no touchdowns, and one interception. He’s still got a long way to go to make a 53-man roster.

Edited by DWinzit

28 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Well, never mind on my PS suggestion earlier today. Looks like Belichick traded in athletic Malik Cunningham for a more talented Matt Corral

Patriots claimed QB Matt Corral, formerly of the Panthers.
Corral was waived by the Panthers a day after roster cutdown day but is now headed to New England. The former third-round pick, whose 2022 was cut short by an injury before Week 1, will now have a chance to catch on with the Patriots on their practice squad. Corral brings a productive college profile to the pros that includes more than 8,200 passing yards, 57 touchdowns, and 23 interceptions but has struggled in preseason action. Through five career preseason games, he’s completed 71-of-84 passes for 318 yards, no touchdowns, and one interception. He’s still got a long way to go to make a 53-man roster.

Not convinced Matt Corral is more talented than any of the other waived QB's. Panthers organization saw enough of him to realize last season he didn't have it. Depending which Panthers fan you ask Corral was either damn good in training camp or struggling to throw an accurate pass so no clue if he actually showed development this summer.

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Not convinced Matt Corral is more talented than any of the other waived QB's. Panthers organization saw enough of him to realize last season he didn't have it. Depending which Panthers fan you ask Corral was either damn good in training camp or struggling to throw an accurate pass so no clue if he actually showed development this summer.

I would have kept both Cunningham and Zappe over Corrall personally. 

6 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Was he related to Long Duck Dong of 16 candles fame?

First boobs I ever saw on screen were in that movie.  I can even HEAR the scene.  (A well timed tympani hit when the boobs are revealed) I think I was 10. My parents checked it out from the public library. Movie came out in 1984. I can’t even imagine movies with boobs being in libraries.

A few years later I checked it out myself. 

Fond memories of 16 candles. Fond memories…

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

First boobs I ever saw on screen were in that movie.  I can even HEAR the scene.  (A well timed tympani hit when the boobs are revealed) I think I was 10. My parents checked it out from the public library. Movie came out in 1984. I can’t even imagine movies with boobs being in libraries.

A few years later I checked it out myself. 

Fond memories of 16 candles. Fond memories…

“That kid really loves the library, we’re so proud”

• Haha 13

1 hour ago, lovemaskins said:

“That kid really loves the library, we’re so proud”

Millennials and after have no appreciation the creativity GenX (and before) kids had to develop to see a boob pre internet.

Some found a really good reason to get a Natural Geographic subscription….

That started to change in the 90’s with Skinamax.  But the 80’s were a tougher nut to crack…. (No pun intended… maybe? Ah, hell.  Of course it was intended…)

7 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

This thread has gone off the rails. I love it.

Honestly, a little fun seems ok given there isn’t really any roster news expected for a few weeks….

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Millennials and after have no appreciation the creativity GenX (and before) kids had to develop to see a boob pre internet.

Some found a really good reason to get a Natural Geographic subscription….

That started to change in the 90’s with Skinamax.  But the 80’s were a tougher nut to crack…. (No pun intended… maybe? Ah, hell.  Of course it was intended…)

Honestly, a little fun seems ok given there isn’t really any roster news expected for a few weeks….

Bruh, I hacked the code to the satellite dish back in the 80s. Had that satellite moving on skates, just had to get it back from G7 to B6 and relocked before mom got home. Changed my life! Mom would ask “why you sweating?” 

Just took out the trash…

btw… just shared a united flight with Tim Settle out of BUF to Dulles. Big cat sitting in first class… 

Edited by lovemaskins
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m curious about Abdullah Anderson.  As the 4th DT, you’d assume he’s going to get a fair bit of playing time… unless maybe JSW features heavily as a 3 tech sub?

Yeah, I think they're getting guys in because they like to run a 5-DL front, and with Obada and Mathis on the IR, and possibly Young not ready for week 1, I think they're getting bodies who can play. 

Having both Obada and Mathis out is really far from ideal.  If Young misses significant time, the DL, which should have been a real strength, regresses to more of a "good" than "should be great."

On 9/1/2023 at 10:32 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, I think they're getting guys in because they like to run a 5-DL front, and with Obada and Mathis on the IR, and possibly Young not ready for week 1, I think they're getting bodies who can play. 

Having both Obada and Mathis out is really far from ideal.  If Young misses significant time, the DL, which should have been a real strength, regresses to more of a "good" than "should be great."

I just heard about Obada to short term IR as well. Definitely sucks. But I disagree about the Dline. We played all year last year without Mathis and mostly Young so the only additional missing piece right now is Obada. 

It does hurt hurt we still have the entire interior from last year back and JSW/Toohill are solid players. Definitely a spot where we can sustain multiple losses for a few games. 

• Thumb up 1