Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

Howell has the goods. He will have some ups and down as will the OL.

My biggest concern after last nights game, and I know we didn’t play a lot of our starters, was our lack of physicality on defense. If that group plays above their head this year, this team will be good. Probably second in the NFC East good. 

To be clear, I am talking mostly about attitude. That passive garbage from last night will not cut it. Nobody wanted to mix it up last night. 

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Thumb up 1

Howell is the type of QB who can make waves even this year if the defense plays lights out (until he gets acclimated to the NFL)

I do like how he looks for big chunk plays and also his accuracy, hits receivers in the hands which should in theory limit injuries.

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Re-watching the game right now on NFL Network and the Ravens TE's had their way with us all night. Go routes right down the middle of the field for big gains and easy TD's in the redzone. Maybe one of them gets cut and we grab him?

Good news just came out on this....he's got a sprained toe. MRI was encouraging

I'm a bit concerned because turf toe can be very painful. It can also linger on and on for weeks, sometimes months. Especially whenever you have to cut and pivot a lot. Hopefully Terry's is a less severe case than the players that I'be seen it be a big problem with.

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

On the Zay Flowers touchdown... can someone explain what Quan Martin was doing? That was one of the worst attempted tackles I think I've seen at the NFL level. 

I noticed his pathetic attempt to make a play on Justice Hill's catch in the flat at around 13:30 in the 1st quarter.  He didn't look like the physical defender he is known to be.  Hopefully he is getting it all out of his system now.

26 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I noticed his pathetic attempt to make a play on Justice Hill's catch in the flat at around 13:30 in the 1st quarter.  He didn't look like the physical defender he is known to be.  Hopefully he is getting it all out of his system now.

It wasn't just him, either. We had multiple large plays against us where it looked like our entire defense took the worst possible angles to the ball carrier they could come up with.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dyst said:

Howell is the type of QB who can make waves even this year if the defense plays lights out (until he gets acclimated to the NFL)

I do like how he looks for big chunk plays and also his accuracy, hits receivers in the hands which should in theory limit injuries.

Howell is legit.  He can really rifle those throws.  I've never a QB in burgundy and gold throw it like he can.  I've accepted the fact that he will take bad sacks from time to time trying to buy time.  But he will make up for it on other plays.  It's so much better than Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins checking down on third and long.  I wasn't high on him in college because of how long he holds on to the ball.  But when he decides to scramble, he times it so well.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While i thought Howell played well... he was getting significant time behind this Oline playing against Balt 3rd string D.. like a lot. No way he will have that much time against 1st string Ds.. needs to get rid of the ball faster. 

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, oraphus said:

While i thought Howell played well... he was getting significant time behind this Oline playing against Balt 3rd string D.. like a lot. No way he will have that much time against 1st string Ds.. needs to get rid of the ball faster. 

Thanks for bringing us all back to Earth and then digging us a hole here to lie down in.

Please come back and cover us with dirt when you have some free time. 😆

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, oraphus said:

well, he had second string tackles

1 hour ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Howell is legit.  He can really rifle those throws.  I've never a QB in burgundy and gold throw it like he can.  I've accepted the fact that he will take bad sacks from time to time trying to buy time.  But he will make up for it on other plays.  It's so much better than Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins checking down on third and long.  I wasn't high on him in college because of how long he holds on to the ball.  But when he decides to scramble, he times it so well.  

Will be a travesty if they coach this element of his game out of him. I think the days of coaches suppressing and discouraging backyard football is much less than it once was. Love that EB has witnessed first hand the value of a QB playing with reckless abandon. 

Bring on the sacks, fans will learn to embrace and appreciate them. 

58 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Damn, they benched their second string as well?

Edited by wit33

3 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Was incredibly unimpressive. I didn’t love him on film. Didn’t have him near as a second rounder. But I like him and saw talent on film. He was a lot more physical at the college level. It looks a lot like he is very intimidated. 

Hopefully time fixes that.

• Like 1

are any of our depth pieces good enough to swing even a minor trade?  I mean with Andre Jones going to make  the team we're likely cutting a couple DE who've been decent for us the past couple years from Obada, Toohill and JSW.  Let's see the old Doug Dutch for John Beck type deal

15 minutes ago, MrJL said:

are any of our depth pieces good enough to swing even a minor trade?  I mean with Andre Jones going to make  the team we're likely cutting a couple DE who've been decent for us the past couple years from Obada, Toohill and JSW.  Let's see the old Doug Dutch for John Beck type deal

Pretty good chance all of Jones, Obada, JSW, and Toohill make the squad given our dearth of LB talent. It’s KJ Henry who is going to end up on waivers with an eye towards a PS stash. 

That doesn’t preclude any of those guys from getting traded (although I’d be surprised), just saying I don’t think we have to cut one. 

12 minutes ago, Conn said:

Pretty good chance all of Jones, Obada, JSW, and Toohill make the squad given our dearth of LB talent. It’s KJ Henry who is going to end up on waivers with an eye towards a PS stash. 

That doesn’t preclude any of those guys from getting traded (although I’d be surprised), just saying I don’t think we have to cut one. 

I think there is a decent chance of the IR game with a couple players like Mathis, Danny Johnson, etc. Mathis would be the most likely in my opinion. Lets them keep more guys and by the time the IR players are allowed to return I’m sure we’d have other injuries so wouldn’t necessarily have to cut anybody. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, moondog said:

I think there is a decent chance of the IR game with a couple players like Mathis, Danny Johnson, etc. Mathis would be the most likely in my opinion. Lets them keep more guys and by the time the IR players are allowed to return I’m sure we’d have other injuries so wouldn’t necessarily have to cut anybody. 

I think guys have to make the 53 before they can go on IR with a chance to return. If you put someone on IR before cutdowns they’re out for the season, right?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, moondog said:

Kendall Fuller is really interesting to me. Keim said on his podcast a few days ago that he thinks he knows what’s going on with him but didn’t want to say anything until he knows for sure. This is in reference to him not playing at all in the two preseason games. 

He practiced against the ravens so I know he’s not injured but Keim alluding to there being “something” has me wondering if they’re trying to keep him healthy for a potential trade. 

I know it’s been thrown around here some but I personally hate that idea. We have really good depth at corner and safety overall but BSJ has shown injury concerns his first two years and I think Quan still needs some seasoning before significant playing time. Fuller isn’t all world but he has been durable and a strong player for us. We finally have the secondary to pair with our dline that should give guys like sweat the extra moment they need to get home. 

I doubt fuller fetches anything more than a fifth rounder at most given he’s a little older and just doesn’t have the name recognition. I think he’s worth more than that to us to stay and provide more flexibility and depth (yes he’s a starter but in terms of injuries to other corners). 

I know this is just speculation on Keim's part, but after re-watching the Washington/Baltimore game tonight, I wonder if the Ravens might be interested in a player trade with us for Fuller. Their secondary is currently decimated by injuries, and they need a starting corner pronto. Meanwhile they have some very good depth at interior linemen, and even at tackle. One of which, David Sharpe, used to be a Redskin. At the very least, they might be willing to trade one of their TE's who showed well against us last night. Just curious to see what people think about Baltimore being the source of Keim's speculation, and if there is anyone on their roster worth trading a quality starting corner like Fuller for.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, redskinss said:

And dyami was cleared to return last night so it must have been nothing 

Glad to hear..........first thing I thought of was that last (of many) concussion Jordan Reed got (from that dirty hit) in that preseason game against the Falcons years ago. Pretty much ended his career. Still pissed about that.

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Glad to hear..........first thing I thought of was that last (of many) concussion Jordan Reed got (from that dirty hit) in that preseason game against the Falcons years ago. Pretty much ended his career. Still pissed about that.

I was too, but everyone knew it was just a matter of time until he got hit like that again and again. I hope he's doing ok these days. 

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

Was incredibly unimpressive. I didn’t love him on film. Didn’t have him near as a second rounder. But I like him and saw talent on film. He was a lot more physical at the college level. It looks a lot like he is very intimidated. 

Hopefully time fixes that.

Hopefully yes and quickly. Maybe if it wasn't preseason he would have done it differently?

I was shocked when his name was announced on draft day for sure.

12 hours ago, mistertim said:

It wasn't just him, either. We had multiple large plays against us where it looked like our entire defense took the worst possible angles to the ball carrier they could come up with.

Yes there was a lot of these examples with the DB's and LB's. I found myself questioning a few angles and poor attempts from Davis, Barton, Wildgoose, Forbes ....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Conn said:

I just feel that even if we do go to five man lines at times, with the talent we have elsewhere 10 DL is excessive and I think that Mathias and RIdgeway both make it at DT which means 5 DE

11 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Would it be expected to see some of the obvious cuts to occur this week or do most teams wait until closer to cut down day?

I understand they wait as long as possible on all the tough decisions. 

I'd guess after preseason game 3.  That's typically the showcase game for those on the fringe of the roster.

• Thanks 1

Listened to Paulson and Hoffman's podcast and the one interesting nugget I heard from Paulson was that Stromberg looked better as a guard right now vs center.  They weren't saying he can't play center, but that this could cause him to potentially be active on game days.

I don't see it as I assume the 8 OL active on game days will be the starting 5 and Larson, Paul, and Lucas.  Stromberg & Daniels are basically redshirting this year.  Stromberg probably fills the Larson role next year (as well as a potential starter at LG).

Paulson also gave a shout out to Daniels as he stonewalled whomever he was playing (albeit against fellow 3rd stringers).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Listened to Paulson and Hoffman's podcast and the one interesting nugget I heard from Paulson was that Stromberg looked better as a guard right now vs center.  They weren't saying he can't play center, but that this could cause him to potentially be active on game days.

I don't see it as I assume the 8 OL active on game days will be the starting 5 and Larson, Paul, and Lucas.  Stromberg & Daniels are basically redshirting this year.  Stromberg probably fills the Larson role next year (as well as a potential starter at LG).

Paulson also gave a shout out to Daniels as he stonewalled whomever he was playing (albeit against fellow 3rd stringers).