Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

It's not strange negativity when you watch these guys and form opinions. You know better than that.

Henry is a JAG. If we drafted him at our next pick? Fine. They panic traded up for a JAG. 

I've been purposely positive about a lot of these guys. But this is a head scratcher. 

He was ranked in DJ’s top 80 and another ‘expect’ thinks this. I’m fine with differing opinions but we’ve effectively used picks 150 and 215 on this guy. It’s really not that complicated IMO. 

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Rounds 4-5
NFL Comparison
Lorenzo Carter
Overview
Highly athletic edge defender with good size. Henry has upfield burst, but he tends to be a face-up rusher and will need to improve his hand usage for more effective corner turns. He can be dynamic when twisting and blitzing as a moveable piece around the defensive front and he does a nice job of setting up a buttery smooth inside rush that is often too quick for tackles. He can dart and disrupt as a one-gapper with his hand in the ground but has more trouble than expected in setting firm edges as a run defender. Henry’s strengths and weaknesses are well-defined, with the upside to become a starter.
Strengths
  • Community-oriented team captain with high personal character.
  • Like 3

So the general consensus is that the FO is bypassing guys they have graded significantly higher because they’re putting an inordinate amount of weight on need, right?

And how much do we factor in us not having much access to their strength coaches, positional coaches or interviews with the prospects?  On not having much of a handle on prospects work ethic, football IQ, culture and locker room fit? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

DE in this draft was just dumb IMO. Especially now. And we moved up for that?

Toney was just a JAG that could have been replaced after cuts or as a UDFA.

I swear, watching this just makes even more and more frustrated.

No one can even begin to convince me that this organization can field a consistent upper echelon team (like the Eagles) with these knuckleheads in charge.  

This isn't bizarre, it's freaking embarrassing.  

Edited by Redwards
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think it's more complicated than you're letting on.

We traded up for a JAG. 

You're right that it was a panic move.

But we got aggressive because they were afraid they couldn't get their mediocre defensive end prospect. I see what they thought, but it doesn't make sense.

lol, don't know if he's a JAG.    Will see.

I don't like the need based approach though.

But I'll have faith in that Gribble is no dummy.  I am not a draft wiz to say the least but I just went through that DE list before that pick and said after Henry there seems to be no one.  And bam they take Henry.

Same thing happened years ago at DT, when I said Ioannidis is the last DT left in the 5th, and they took him soon after.  So maybe its a good omen.  :ols:  5th round again.

I don't have a hard opinion on Henry positive or negative.  I got to watch him again.  And if I hate him, I'll crap on the pick.

But I am guessing Gribble told Ron that Henry is the last worthwhile edge.  I don't like the process.  But I'd bet that Gribble actually liked the player.  So i'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I rewatch Henry.    

For those complaining about PFF not loving the value of our picks.  This one they should like, they had him in the late third-early 4th as far as the top players on the board.

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 2.06.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 2.06.34 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

We traded a 6th rounder!!! The world is gonna end!!

Its about the principle of the matter. Sure a 6th rounder most likely doesn't amount to much, but this regime is just poor at playing the value game. 

Just now, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Looks like they're at a Call Center/Funeral Home......Everything sucks about this video. The optics, the energy, everything.....

Meanwhile the Cowboys draft room looks like the freaking Death Star.

We are a poverty franchise until Harris takes over.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Looks like they're at a Call Center/Funeral Home......Everything sucks about this video. The optics, the energy, everything.....

And it went through like five sets of eyes to be posted. Like all these people thought posting this was a good idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Its about the principle of the matter. Sure a 6th rounder most likely doesn't amount to much, but this regime is just poor at playing the value game.

In principle I’d agree, but in this case KJ Henry is actually seen as great value at this stage of the draft.

This also makes me glad that I didn’t spend my draft season as invested this year. This is the least I’ve followed the draft in 20 years. Wish I’d developed a bunch of favorite players for them to pass on and for me to watch succeed on different teams! 🙄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

I can only imagine what people that come from other teams think of our facilities.  

3 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

I can only imagine what people that come from other teams think of our facilities.  

• Like 1

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

This also makes me glad that I didn’t spend my draft season as invested this year. This is the least I’ve followed the draft in 20 years. Wish I’d developed a bunch of favorite players for them to pass on and for me to watch succeed on different teams! 🙄

Same here. It's hard to be invested in this team when they conduct themselves like this.

• Thumb up 1