Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

I can't help but think about Daniel Snyder's state of mind and state of being right now.  He was a Redskins fan since boyhood. Acquiring the team was the ultimate dream-come-true for him. My sense is that for many NFL owners, ownership is almost a sidelight for them, a lark for the ultra-rich.  But for Snyder, it became his whole identity. And that has been wrenched away from him. And in the process he's become universally loathed in the town he grew up in.

He seemed like a prickly, petty person even in the best of times.  Something like this has to magnify those faults exponentially. 

I wonder if bitterness will overtake him.  Because this has to have been a bitter pill to swallow.   

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

I'm waiting for the backlash...I'm sure Snyder will put out some sort of 'F You' letter (through his lawyer) slamming the 'false accusations' against him. He'll probably claim anti-Semitism too.

I would love this. Would be a futile and neutered gesture, and show just how much his failure has gotten to him 

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If he does some sort of letter to the fans, the theme to me seems evident -- it was Bruce Allen that did this.  That seems to be his theme, he trusted Bruce Allen, let him do this thng and he betrayed his trust.  When he had his lawyers go on the radio to sell his case last year -- the theme was it was Bruce's fault.

And he’ll position himself as a martyr who did his best, but in the end did what he knew was best for the fans. And then he’d throw in something about setting up the franchise for Harris’s success just in case we start to win in the next year or three, so that his ego can claim it retroactively. 

• Like 1

The findings of the league’s second investigation of Snyder and the Commanders, being conducted by attorney Mary Jo White, could be released soon, a person familiar with the NFL’s inner workings said this week. The investigation could result in NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell imposing a fine, according to that person. Goodell has said the league will release the findings of White’s investigation publicly.

...Harris takes control of the team just before the Commanders will open their training camp next week. He is expected to retain Jason Wright as team president and to keep the franchise’s business and football staffs basically intact, at least initially. But while Harris and his investment partners take some time to evaluate staffers and the team’s operations, they plan to jump immediately into the task of attempting to repair the franchise’s relationship with its fan base. The new owners also inherit the job of trying to secure funding and choose a location in D.C., Maryland or Virginia for a new stadium.

Harris is expected to make public comments Thursday after the sale is approved. He is to be in the D.C. area Friday and is expected to participate in a news conference as part of a fan event at FedEx Field.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/07/20/washington-commanders-sale/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Random thought-- I wonder if the $250M "loan" negotiated into the sale is a backstop for any remaining legal loose ends. I.e.: The new ownership owes Danny $5.8B at closing and then $250M in a year or two-- I imagine that if the team has to pay out any sort of remaining legal settlements, it comes out of the $250M. 

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I honestly don't care at all about the MJW stuff anymore. Its run its course for me. I'm just glad Snyder won't be owning the team anymore. I'm ready to move on.

Personally, I'm not ready to move on.

I think its extremely important this report sees the light of day.

More important than 🏈 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Just now, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

More important than 🏈 

Fully agree. These women are responsible for kicking this all off--they started the investigations that ultimately lead to Dan's end. They deserve their justice. I hope the sue the every living **** out of Snyder.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

More important than 🏈 

It’s the NFL paying for the preparation of the report and releasing the report. It’s all about football and protecting the shield. MJW’s obligation is to her client, the NFL, not impartiality not truth nor justice. It will be a wrist slap with little content. 

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I honestly don't care at all about the MJW stuff anymore. Its run its course for me.

In a vacuum, as a fan...maybe. 

But, I'm guessing the victims of Dan's sex-pest behavior who are in that report feel quite differently. 

Personally, I'm hoping more of his bad behavior comes to light. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

It’s the NFL paying for the preparation of the report and releasing the report. It’s all about football and protecting the shield. MJW’s obligation is to her client, the NFL, not impartiality not truth nor justice. It will be a wrist slap with little content. 

Politically, the NFL has to release it. Congress just published a nastygram last week in the media saying it's been a year since Goofball said the report would be released. The NFL can't afford to blow off Congress for too long, since it's the investigation by Congress that got the ball rolling to getting Snyder OUT today...because the political toxicity prevented Snyder from being able to get a new stadium, which is the worst offense imaginable to the NFL owners.

• Like 1

I have taken some time away (mostly because we can only have the exact same conversation so many times before I can’t tolerate it anymore :ols: )

But I figured I’d pop in because today is a momentous occasion and there will be many new posts dancing on the Snyder Era’s of Washington FootballSkinmanders burial site.

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Sorry, but I think Snyder will exit as quietly as he can out of NFL football. He'll take his $6.05 billion and use it for defense and getting out of the limelight.  And he'll let time diminish the adverse publicity as he surrounds himself with the best "friends" his money can buy.

He probably could be able to afford to buy his way out of lawsuits and maybe even stonewall/dilute Congressional investigations until interest fades ...and still have some $4 billion left.  I suspect he'll do his best to avoid or mitigate press scrutiny until the media decides to focus on another target, especially after the greater public's interest has moved on , and nobody's all that interested in Dan Snyder anymore.

Also, at this point in time, I wonder just how rabid of a Washington fan, Snyder still is. He probably readjusted his mindset and goals from when he first bought the team.  After all, as an owner, he's seen the business from a very different side than a fan; he knows he's not ever bringing a Superbowl championship to the Washington area's fans, and he might not be enchanted with what appears to be evolution of the NFL, as it morphs into something different from what he loved as a young fan.  Consequently it might be easier for him to not be all that emotionally invested in owning/running the franchise anymore.  He might have already mentally "retired" from having to deal with all these issues, as well as the problems he created.

Let's be clear -- I'm not a fan of Snyder, I am glad he's finally gone, and I see this as a great opportunity for the Washington franchise to get things right going forward..  But I'm not trying convince myself that Dan's weeping as he leaves.  Sometimes the bad guys can get away and even make off like a bandit when doing so. IMHO,  $6.05 billion is one heck of a severance package for Snyder, and will likely ease the sting of all the adverse US media coverage he gets which will probably dry up in a few years.  

Edited by Wyvern

2 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

In a vacuum, as a fan...maybe. 

But, I'm guessing the victims of Dan's sex-pest behavior who are in that report feel quite differently. 

Personally, I'm hoping more of his bad behavior comes to light. 

You are conflating the Beth Wilkinson investigation which had all of those women as part of that investigation which ended up in the oral report and wrist slap with Dan’s people writing the press release. 

This Mary Jo White report is very limited in scope and Dan never actually sat down with her. it focuses on a single incident on a plane with a mostly he said she said. It will have very little actual details and will be another wrist slap with nothing to see here moving on dynamic the NFL wants. They will release it right around the hall of fame game and it will get 1/2 day of a news cycle and that will be that. 

Let’s celebrate Dan being gone. It’s a historic day. Having expectations that he will get his comeuppance in the MJW report is setting yourself up for disappointment.

The dude is walking away with 6 billion and a large portion of that is due to him being such a horrible person that his partners walked away for pennies on the dollar. Dan setup his family for life for generations to come. He is not the loser here. The fan base is for the past 25 years.

He’s getting away in so much of a better position than he started. If he hadn’t bought the Redskins, he would likely have lost all his money given how poorly his other investments did over the past 25 years. Just stupid luck with Snyder communications and getting rewarded for being the worst owner in sports. Let’s just be happy he’s gone because this is not a loss for him at all.

• Like 2

Dan Snyder can walk away with 6 billion, but he can never walk away from his reputation.

While public interest in him dwindles, and he fades into obscurity, the internet is forever, and 100, 200-whatever years from now, long after he's passed and the money he made is worthless, he will still be inked as one of the worst owners in professional sports and an awful human being.

That should give all of us satisfaction. Today is a glorious day, my friends. Enjoy it and take it all in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Snyder can drown his sorrows in Crown Royal. He can afford a lot of CR with $6 billion, I'm guessing.

Let’s keep in mind he has debt to pay off so it won’t ALL be profit. It helps me.