Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

There are valid reasons for this team to spend big on high end quality FAs, and legitimate reasons not to go that direction.  And of course our cap space will go quickly - that 83mil looks great, but I believe it’s really more like 64ish due to rooks and in-season spending (obviously still enough to make a big impact though).  Now, they can play around with contract structures (particularly with Leno off the books next year, and presumably a rookie qb salary), staggering bigger FA contracts a bit over the next few years, but there are a lot of positions that could use quality/high end help, they need to/should plan on extending Cosmi, and just signing enough bodies will add up quickly.

My hunch is their (the FOs) desire to turn this around quickly leads to a pretty aggressive FA.  I have to assume Peters will feel a strong need to prove himself - to ownership and to fans, including that he made the right HC hire.  I believe Harris is anxious to turn this around too.  Wonder how FA players will perceive our situation - rebuild/rookie qb, the allure of playing for Quinn, whether Kingsbury is a plus or minus on this front, etc.  Gonna be interesting to see it play out.

44 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

There are valid reasons for this team to spend big on high end quality FAs, and legitimate reasons not to go that direction.  And of course our cap space will go quickly - that 83mil looks great, but I believe it’s really more like 64ish due to rooks and in-season spending (obviously still enough to make a big impact though).  Now, they can play around with contract structures (particularly with Leno off the books next year, and presumably a rookie qb salary), staggering bigger FA contracts a bit over the next few years, but there are a lot of positions that could use quality/high end help, they need to/should plan on extending Cosmi, and just signing enough bodies will add up quickly.

My hunch is their (the FOs) desire to turn this around quickly leads to a pretty aggressive FA.  I have to assume Peters will feel a strong need to prove himself - to ownership and to fans, including that he made the right HC hire.  I believe Harris is anxious to turn this around too.  Wonder how FA players will perceive our situation - rebuild/rookie qb, the allure of playing for Quinn, whether Kingsbury is a plus or minus on this front, etc.  Gonna be interesting to see it play out.

When has Harris seemed overly anxious with turning around a team he just bought?

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

Davis has decent numbers but Queen is the better player and leader.  Team them up and see if it elevates Davis's game to Queen's.  We need a MLB in the worst way though. 

Are you saying we should sign Queen and get a MLB? I'm a little confused why if you don't want to then jettison Davis.

20 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Are you saying we should sign Queen and get a MLB? I'm a little confused why if you don't want to then jettison Davis.

Yes, but it's a bad idea.  Let's see what Jamin can do with a better HC under Quinn. We still need a LB coach but I'd expect us to get a good one.  

59 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Yes, but it's a bad idea.  Let's see what Jamin can do with a better HC under Quinn. We still need a LB coach but I'd expect us to get a good one.  

I'd say we stick with Jamin and bring in another starting LB that has a better game than Queen. Some of the names that are better fits have been brought up over time like Luvu or Al-Shaair than draft another in the 3rd or 4th. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

The new FO and coaching staff have their work cut out for them.  There are holes everywhere.  Thirty-two (32) years of mostly mediocre to atrocious teams is a lot to overcome.  Optimism has been beaten out of me.  I simply can't imagine future greatness.  They are going to have to take me by the hand and show me.  I appreciate others' optimism, but I'm just not there yet.  A successful free agency, draft (especially at QB), and development of players feels virtually impossible.

My Washington PTSD is real.  Is there real optimism out there or just another year of blind faith?

You think there are still people here capable of blind faith? 

On 2/8/2024 at 9:01 AM, Tress Is The Way said:

I am very open to them speaking to Jeff Okudah.. dude is only 25 years old and has received the short end of the stick in his time with the Lions and Falcons. With D. Quinn I think he could get the best out of him - what are everyone thoughts?

Okudah is very physical and that is his calling card.  His physicality can be viewed as an elite trait and we are looking to be fast and physical.

I honestly think Okudah and St. Juste are pretty much the same players.  Physical, pretty fast, sticky coverage but no ball skills.  I think we pass on him.

How about Isaiah Simmons??

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 9:42 AM, 88Comrade2000 said:

If you are expecting winning immediately, then you will be disappointed.

It’s going to take about 3 years of drafts and free agency to build a contender. We also have to hit on qb.

After looking at last year’s tape; they will find just how devoid of talent we really are.

Anyone expecting a team picking #2 in the draft to turn it around in one year should be drug tested.  I'm talking turning it around in my lifetime.  I am 62.

11 hours ago, Conn said:

You think there are still people here capable of blind faith? 

Absolutely.  It's why this fanbase deserves a winner.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Winfield Jr is my biggest FA want.

I really like Winfield as well.  I would hate to let Curl walk but he doesn't get the turnovers we are looking for.

Don't forget that Derrick Forest is an incredible ball player and has elite ball skills.  He is going to be our starting FS

Jartavius Martin is going to be a stud and has locked down the nickle position.

Forbes should elevate his play in Quinn's defense as well.

Juste is here incase Forbes flops, but Juste being teammates with Winfield in college will only help get him here in DC.

Resign Fuller for sure....he's a ballplayer and makes plays.  Hope he gives us a bit of a hometown discount (11M/yr)

RCB  Fuller

LCB  Forbes

NB    Martin

FS    Forest

SS    Winfield

Wishlist on defense:

Jadaveon Clowney, Chase Young and/or Isaiah Simmons.  All 3 of these guys have elite traits for sure.  Probably a pipe dream but I want to think Quinn could get Chase Young to play to his potential.  But I think Simmons could be really special and affordable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

Anyone expecting a team picking #2 in the draft to turn it around in one year should be drug tested.  I'm talking turning it around in my lifetime.  I am 62.

Yep, 62 here too & have seen EVERY SB we played in from Kilmer to Rip and everything in between. Just want to strike lightning one more time while still around. It’s an amazing feeling when it happens. The Pats fans had it & the Chiefs fans now. I hope they all appreciate the good fortune they have. You go into every game expecting to win. Hopefully we will catch a glimpse of that again. It appears we finally have a proper framework in place with true football people running the show. Hope springs eternal, hail. 

Edited by Riggo'sRangers
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, cakmoney61 said:

the Houston Texans picked 2 last year and won the AFC South .

Also the last time we picked 2 we won the NFC East.  We were only 7-9 but we won it.  And six of our losses last year were by one score

Edited by MrJL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

A veteran green-dot defensive play-caller is a must for me, whether at the S or LB position.

Al Shaair fits sooooo well. Won’t break the bank, a Peters find in SF, green dot, plays the pass really well. The last part complements Jamin’s skillset 

32 minutes ago, Dexter said:

I really like Winfield as well.  I would hate to let Curl walk but he doesn't get the turnovers we are looking for.

Don't forget that Derrick Forest is an incredible ball player and has elite ball skills.  He is going to be our starting FS

Juste is here incase Forbes flops, but Juste being teammates with Winfield in college will only help get him here in DC.

Resign Fuller for sure....he's a ballplayer and makes plays.  Hope he gives us a bit of a hometown discount (11M/yr)

RCB  Fuller

LCB  Forbes

NB    Martin

FS    Forest

SS    Winfield

Wishlist on defense:

Jadaveon Clowney, Chase Young and/or Isaiah Simmons.  All 3 of these guys have elite traits for sure.  Probably a pipe dream but I want to think Quinn could get Chase Young to play to his potential.  But I think Simmons could be really special and affordable.

Winfield is a center fielder FS. I would be shocked if he is not tagged. Teams don’t let young first team All Pros walk. 

Forrest had takeaways a couple years ago but had none this year. It’s a stretch to call him a ballhawk. He can’t really play single high either. I think he is best in the box as a SS

@Skinsinparadise was the first guy on his trail but McKinney is an excellent fit

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dexter said:

RCB  Fuller

LCB  Forbes

NB    Martin

FS    Forest

SS    Winfield

Wishlist on defense:

Chase Young, seriously?

Why the **** would he want to come back?

Why would we want him? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dexter said:

RCB  Fuller

LCB  Forbes

NB    Martin

FS    Forest

SS    Winfield

Wishlist on defense:

Why would Forrest be our FS when he wasn't last year? Winfield is a single high center fielder type.

48 minutes ago, method man said:

Al Shaair fits sooooo well. Won’t break the bank, a Peters find in SF, green dot, plays the pass really well. The last part complements Jamin’s skillset 

Winfield is a center fielder FS. I would be shocked if he is not tagged. Teams don’t let young first team All Pros walk. 

Forrest had takeaways a couple years ago but had none this year. It’s a stretch to call him a ballhawk. He can’t really play single high either. I think he is best in the box as a SS

@Skinsinparadise was the first guy on his trail but McKinney is an excellent fit

Al-Shaair seems like a no brainer

16 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Winfield Jr is my biggest FA want.

I will be shocked if he doesnt get franchised. But like you I love him. My top targets for FA would be:

1) Brian Burns, Edge

2) Winfield Jr, S  If not franchised

3) Ljarius Snead, CB

4)  Mike Onwenu, G

5) Tyler Biadasz, C

6) Austin Ekeler, RB

7) Frankie Luvu, LB

8  Gabe Davis, WR

9) Dalton Schultz, TE 

10) Josh Uche, Edge

I like a bunch of other guys as well. But those are my top ten target for us. Also wouldnt be shocked to see Quinn bring a couple of his pieces over from Dallas. Someone like Fowler or Jourdan Lewis.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Dexter said:

Okudah is very physical and that is his calling card.  His physicality can be viewed as an elite trait and we are looking to be fast and physical.

I honestly think Okudah and St. Juste are pretty much the same players.  Physical, pretty fast, sticky coverage but no ball skills.  I think we pass on him.

How about Isaiah Simmons??

At the right price why not look at Simmons and Okudah. 

50 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

At the right price why not look at Simmons and Okudah. 

Okudah sucks. He's not much better than Forbes but at least Forbes is younger.

Simmons might be worth a looksie. He's a unique talent though and you gotta find a way to use him.

• Like 1