Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Yes. He pretty much has just signed one year deals ever since leaving Texas after the 2018 season. Seattle, Tenn, Clev, Clev, Balt.

I don't see bringing him in on a one year deal helps us enough. Too many resources on an older one year mercenary is what you do when you are one or two steps from the big dance. I don't see Washington at that point for at least a year or two

Wasn’t his contract this past year like 2mil?  Maybe I have that wrong.  Either way, you bring up the personnel philosophy for a team in our position… it’s an interesting topic, IMO.  

1 year deals help open up the draft to an extent, don’t tie you down in terms of cap, and allow you to develop guys to take over from the rentals.  OTOH, you’re probably not getting high end players with 1 year deals (though there are exceptions w/ prove-it deals, such as if Connor Williams has to prove he’s healthy), something our team desperately needs.  You also mess with continuity to some extent.  And of course, if we sign bigger names, are they going to still be around by the time we’re (hopefullly) competing for a title?

Added to all of that you have factors like 1) not blocking a path for a young guy to get into the starting lineup, 2) saving cap for the future when you need to add guys that are the “final piece” types, 3) having proven vets that can show the young guys the ropes, and 4) wanting to instill the winning culture and faith in the staff - ie. wanting to get out of the gates quickly, and so on.  That’s not to mention the need to surround our young qb in the best way possible to aid their development.

With a plethora of picks, ample cap, and a new GM/coaching staff, it’s going to be fascinating to see the path they take.  Ironically, having more options provides both more chances to get it right, and more chances to get it wrong.  The silver lining to having a pretty terrible roster is that improvement shouldn’t be difficult, no matter what type of plan they have/moves they make.  And there are quite a few positions that even if we address them in FA with long term investments, it shouldn’t (inherently) preclude us from double dipping via the draft.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 7:28 AM, redskinss said:

Am I the only one who would like to take a long hard look at Saquon if he becomes available?

Adam peters went out and got McCaffrey and Ben johnson got gibbs last year.

Having an electric back with good hands could potentially take a lot of pressure off a rookie quarterback. 

I was thinking same thing. Would depend on cost. We need more then Barkley to be good but we do need another Rb. I don't think it is a terrible idea.

Edited by Redskins 2021

7 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Graham Glasgow, Danielle Hunter, Patrick Queen, Mike Onwenu.

We want Jonah Jackson, not Glasgow. Jackson plays LG which is where we are significantly weaker. Glasgow is a RG and the one spot on our OL that's actually really strong is Cosmi at RG.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We want Jonah Jackson, not Glasgow. Jackson plays LG which is where we are significantly weaker. Glasgow is a RG and the one spot on our OL that's actually really strong is Cosmi at RG.

Glasgow has played 3 different positions for the Lions including left guard, he's a swiss army knife.

2 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Glasgow has played 3 different positions for the Lions including left guard, he's a swiss army knife.

Fair. But Jackson is also only 27 compared to Glasgow who is 32. Fits our timeline better. And we have money to spend anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Fair. But Jackson is also only 27 compared to Glasgow who is 32. Fits our timeline better. And we have money to spend anyway.

I'm not sure, I know Wylie isn't getting cut, but Gates and Wylie can both play LG.

Not that I want to keep them around, but at least Wylie will be.

53 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not sure, I know Wylie isn't getting cut, but Gates and Wylie can both play LG.

Wylie will Be the sixth lineman that Johnson puts in motion. 🤣

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Gates thinks of himself more as a center than a guard

I want to June 1st Wylie.   That or trade him. 

I know, I know, who would trade for Wylie.  The Chiefs?  They liked him for years and the guy they replaced him with is the most penalized player in the NFL

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I know, I know, who would trade for Wylie.  The Chiefs?  They liked him for years and the guy they replaced him with is the most penalized player in the NFL

and Collins was a safety. IDGAF what they think they are. Gates is terrible. That's wht the gnats let him leave and drafted JMS.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FrFan said:

position flex....rather have the younger guy if he's as good.  Sick of the Snyder era of putting people in spots they don't succeed...Ex. Derrick Dockery and true RG and we put him at LG.  Jamin an OLB and we put him at MLB.  Zorn a qb coach and we put him at head coach.  lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

If it’s possible to trade Wylie I’d do it in a heartbeat. I doubt we’d get much if any offers though.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RabidFan said:

position flex....rather have the younger guy if he's as good.  Sick of the Snyder era of putting people in spots they don't succeed...Ex. Derrick Dockery and true RG and we put him at LG.  Jamin an OLB and we put him at MLB.  Zorn a qb coach and we put him at head coach.  lol

I believe that this FO will probably draft a couple of big guys and thought maybe Glasgow's versatility and experience will help tutoring them.

5 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I see his name get mentioned a lot. They have a bunch of space. Why let him go?

They have a stud DE they just drafted, Will Anderson. It depends how much in resources they want tied up in one position, though you could argue Anderson is far enough away from getting paid that it doesn’t matter as much as it typically would. 

Here are some of the Bowen picks, I highlighted players who have been discussed on this thread

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39378699/2024-nfl-free-agency-ranking-top-50-players-available-offseason

2024 NFL free agency: Ranking top 50 players, QBs available

14. Robert Hunt, G, Miami Dolphins

Age entering 2024 season: 28

At 6-foot-6 and 322 pounds, Hunt has the movement ability to mirror and win in pass pro, where he registered an 89.6% pass block win rate this season. He's a fit for multiple run schemes, too; he can reach and climb as a zone blocker or displace defenders on gap concepts.

18. Bryce Huff, EDGE, New York Jets

Age entering 2024 season: 26

After recording a total of 7.5 sacks over his first three pro seasons, Huff produced 10 in 2023 for the Jets -- and his pass rush win rate of 21.8% ranked eighth in the league. He's a flamethrower off the edge, with an electric first step and the lower-body flex to turn the corner at a high rate of speed. Huff is a 3-4 outside linebacker with major upside in nickel passing situations.

3045465.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

19. Kendall Fuller, CB, Washington Commanders

Age entering 2024 season: 29

A veteran with savvy coverage technique and transition speed out of his pedal, Fuller grabbed two interceptions this season, giving him a total of 16 in his career. He'd be a smart fit for a quarters-based system. And Fuller can set an edge against the run, too, with 79 tackles in 2023. I see a player who can boost the profile of a contender's secondary.

21. Jonathan Greenard, EDGE, Houston Texans

Age entering 2024 season: 27

Greenard's career-high 12.5 sacks tied for 10th in the league, and his 22% pass rush win rate ranked sixth. With his explosive lower body and hip flexibility, Greenard can launch off the ball. And he has developed his hand usage to create more counter moves. Greenard is also an instinctual player against the run, logging 52 tackles in 2023.

3930040.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

22. Jonah Jackson, G, Detroit Lions

Jackson is an interior mauler who can keep the pocket firm in pass pro, evidenced by a 93.2% pass block win rate this season. He also plays with a physical edge in the run game, with the ability to latch onto defenders and move them off the ball.

3917599.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

24. Kevin Dotson, G, Los Angeles Rams

After being traded from Pittsburgh in the 2023 offseason, Dotson put up the best tape of his career. He finished with a 92.4% pass block win rate and 73.5% run block win rate. A phone-booth brawler, he's at his best in a gap run scheme.

26. Mike Onwenu, OT, New England Patriots

At 6-foot-3 and 350 pounds, Onwenu has the ability to play guard or tackle. But I see him as a better fit inside at guard, where he can use his size and power to move defenders in gap schemes and anchor in pass pro. Onwenu posted an 88.7% pass block win rate at guard this season.

30. Jonah Williams, OT, Cincinnati Bengals

Williams, who had an 85.4% pass block win rate this season (53rd out of 69 qualified tackles), doesn't have upper-tier power or length at the position. But he wins with technique, gaining depth to create blocking angles and pass-set lines. He can help an offensive front on the right side, and he gets a boost here because he plays a premium position.

33. Patrick Queen, LB, Baltimore Ravens

Age entering 2024 season: 25

Queen can clean up in the run game, blitz or drop into coverage. In addition to 133 tackles, Queen chipped in 3.5 sacks and 18 pressures this season. He hits those blitzes hard, too, challenging running backs in protection. And with an interception and six pass breakups, Queen can produce in zone coverage.

4241470.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

34. Xavier McKinney, S, New York Giants

Here's a versatile safety with the ability to cover down, the post range that NFL teams covet and the ball skills to produce takeaways. McKinney had three interceptions this season, and he has nine picks and 14 pass breakups in his four pro seasons.

36. Kamren Curl, S, Washington Commanders

I'd like to see Curl create more on-the-ball production -- he hasn't had an interception since grabbing three in his 2020 rookie year -- but he's a highly instinctive safety with the ability to align at multiple levels of the field. He fits best in a split-safety scheme where he can run the alley and drive top-down on the football. Curl had 115 tackles and forced a fumble in 2023.

39. Dalton Schultz, TE, Houston Texans

Age entering 2024 season: 28

Schultz caught 59 passes and five touchdowns in Houston this season. He's a seam-stretcher who can also work the underneath levels and slip tacklers after the catch. Plus, he's a willing blocker in the run game. Schultz has the makeup of a traditional in-line tight end, but I see the ability to flex out as a receiver, too.

42. Frankie Luvu, LB, Carolina Panthers

Luvu posted career-best numbers this past season in Carolina, totaling 125 tackles, 5.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. He can be schemed off interior blitzes and has enough range to track the ball on the edges.

3821577.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

43. Connor Williams, C, Miami Dolphins

A December torn ACL drops Williams here, but he was stellar for the Dolphins with a 93.9% pass block win rate before the injury. He counters his lack of power and anchor with the movement skills to play as a positional blocker. Williams is also very good in space, creating positive angles to cut off defenders.

44. Devin White, LB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

White has great second-level range and is a productive blitzer who can get home to the quarterback. He has 23 career sacks since going No. 5 overall back in 2019. White has the ceiling of an impact linebacker against today's NFL passing games, but his 2023 production and tape wasn't as impressive as previous seasons. After three straight seasons with 120-plus tackles, he managed 83.

47. Josh Uche, EDGE, New England Patriots

After a breakout 2022 that included 11.5 sacks, Uche had three this season. Watching the tape, however, you can see the sudden burst off the line and the ability to rip and bend against offensive tackles. And with his ability to close on the QB, Uche can be schemed on stunts to loop inside as a sub-rusher.

14985.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

48. Lavonte David, LB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Age entering 2024 season: 34

David has had more than 100 tackles in six of past seven seasons, and he has 33.5 career sacks. Sure, his age will factor into his free agent grade, but David is still a reliable and instinctive linebacker who can key and diagnose plays quickly. His 17 tackles for loss in 2023 tied for seventh.

50. Za'Darius Smith, EDGE, Cleveland Browns

Age entering 2024 season: 31

An ideal fit for a defense that uses schemed fronts, Smith can play on the edge or align inside as a stand-up defensive tackle/nose. He's a power rusher with the short-area burst to close, and he had 5.5 sacks in 2023, giving him a total of 60 for his career.

I want to get Kevin Dotson for our LG.  I loved him as a college prospect and have been holding a candle for him since then.  Maybe it's just the Sean McVay effect on his career, but it feels like he lived up to his potential and the lightbulb has come on for him.  He can't be that expensive either can he?

• Like 1