Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Dorance Armstrong (6 seasons with DAL) The second-leading sack-getter for the Dallas Cowboys in 2023 is due to hit the free agent market as Dorance Armstrong will look to pair his strong year on the field with a sizable contract this offseason. As a pass-rusher that has shown consistency and reliability over the last two seasons, Armstrong could be in line for a payday. In 2023, Armstrong accounted for 7.5 sacks and 38 tackles.

Jayron Kearse (3 seasons with DAL) An up-and-down 2023 season makes the Jayron Kearse free agency interesting going into the offseason, especially considering that the front office extended both Donovan Wilson and Malik Hooker before the season. With a few intriguing safety options in the first two rounds of the draft, could the Cowboys look to bring in a replacement for Kearse at a cheaper price? Or do they bring him back to provide reliability in 2024? Another potential factor in his free agency would be a potential Dan Quinn exit.

Dante Fowler Jr. (2 seasons with DAL) Speaking of Dan Quinn guys, Dante Fowler Jr. is due for free agency this offseason after two years in Dallas followed up two years spent in Atlanta including one of those with Quinn. Fowler was mostly a rotational piece in the pass rush unit this past season and accounted for just four sacks – his lowest since 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Tyron smith

gilmore 

and Bobby Wagner imo are names to watch

19 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Dorance Armstrong (6 seasons with DAL) The second-leading sack-getter for the Dallas Cowboys in 2023 is due to hit the free agent market as Dorance Armstrong will look to pair his strong year on the field with a sizable contract this offseason. As a pass-rusher that has shown consistency and reliability over the last two seasons, Armstrong could be in line for a payday. In 2023, Armstrong accounted for 7.5 sacks and 38 tackles.

Jayron Kearse (3 seasons with DAL) An up-and-down 2023 season makes the Jayron Kearse free agency interesting going into the offseason, especially considering that the front office extended both Donovan Wilson and Malik Hooker before the season. With a few intriguing safety options in the first two rounds of the draft, could the Cowboys look to bring in a replacement for Kearse at a cheaper price? Or do they bring him back to provide reliability in 2024? Another potential factor in his free agency would be a potential Dan Quinn exit.

Dante Fowler Jr. (2 seasons with DAL) Speaking of Dan Quinn guys, Dante Fowler Jr. is due for free agency this offseason after two years in Dallas followed up two years spent in Atlanta including one of those with Quinn. Fowler was mostly a rotational piece in the pass rush unit this past season and accounted for just four sacks – his lowest since 2020.

Very interested in Fowler jr 

Very sure Quinn will ask Peters about Russel Wilson. That was one of the main reason he was thinking of joining Denver last year. 

On 1/31/2024 at 10:03 AM, Going Commando said:

I want to get Kevin Dotson for our LG.  I loved him as a college prospect and have been holding a candle for him since then.  Maybe it's just the Sean McVay effect on his career, but it feels like he lived up to his potential and the lightbulb has come on for him.  He can't be that expensive either can he?

I was seeing projections of 12-15 per for him.

I don’t think you have to load up in Dallas players but getting a couple to relay the scheme would be nice. Gilmore would be a good get on 1-2 year deal. As much credit as Bland received Gilmore covered all the tough guys this year.

• Like 1

24. WR CALVIN RIDLEY, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Ridley’s contract situation is a true one-of-one. He returned to play in 2023 after missing all of 2022 while serving a suspension for sports gambling and had stepped away from football before the 2021 campaign was over but was a top wide receiver in 2020. There were drop issues in 2023 as Ridley returned to full speed, but he still proved capable of taking over a game while breaking off a series of explosive receptions.

Equally fascinating are the conditions on Ridley’s trade to Jacksonville, where the pick the Jaguars will send to the Atlanta Falcons escalates to a second-rounder if the two parties agree to an extension. We’re not 100% certain that the same language for the condition exists here as it did when Leonard Williams was sent from the New York Jets to the New York Giants, but there the Giants did not have to send a better pick by merely placing a franchise tag instead of signing Williams to a multi-year extension in 2020.

• Like 1

I get the feeling more players will want to play for Quinn than they did for Rivera...at least on the defensive side.

Should help this off-season with a lot of really good FA defenders and need positions. Well that and cap space! 

• Like 3

Stephon Gilmore (1 season with DAL) Trading for Stephon Gilmore gave Dallas a veteran cornerback for one season that proved to be even more valuable when Trevon Diggs went down for the season in week three. Gilmore has spent the last four seasons with four different teams and could be looking for a bit of stability late in his career. However, the Cowboys will welcome back Diggs along with first-team All-Pro DaRon Bland next season leaving a question as to who is the odd man left out when looking at three All-Pro boundary corners with only two slots on the field.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-to-see-16-players-enter-free-agency-in-2024

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Stephon Gilmore (1 season with DAL) Trading for Stephon Gilmore gave Dallas a veteran cornerback for one season that proved to be even more valuable when Trevon Diggs went down for the season in week three. Gilmore has spent the last four seasons with four different teams and could be looking for a bit of stability late in his career. However, the Cowboys will welcome back Diggs along with first-team All-Pro DaRon Bland next season leaving a question as to who is the odd man left out when looking at three All-Pro boundary corners with only two slots on the field.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-to-see-16-players-enter-free-agency-in-2024

2 year $16-$18 mill deal?  Clauses worked into to up to $20

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I'm not saying he isn't worth that, but he isn't worth that to us, and it really is QB money. You can find WR's all through the draft. I'd be saving my money for positions where it is harder to find guys. OT. Edge. Etc. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

It will be interesting to look at Dallas and SF FA's and see how many get brought over.  

Especially since we have half a roster.  There isn't a position on the team you can say we don't need something other than Defensive Tackle, where you probably can stand pat with what you've got.

I wonder how cap-aggressive Peters is going to be.  It took Kyle/Lynch 2 years of roster building before the 49ers got good.  I wonder if he's going to go that route, or if he's going to stretch the available cap room and be aggressive with FAs as well as in the draft.

He said "build through the draft" which is fine.  But SF dipped into FA and trade market for key contributors as well.

It will be fascinating. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I'm not saying he isn't worth that, but he isn't worth that to us, and it really is QB money. You can find WR's all through the draft. I'd be saving my money for positions where it is harder to find guys. OT. Edge. Etc. 

Mike Evans is a very rare type of talent at the WR position

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, method man said:

Will age well. Open to giving 2.5-3 years of guaranteed money. The per year stuff is whatever. 

4 minutes ago, method man said:

My issue with Evans is it’s probably too soon to throw money bags at him. I think he’d want to go to a team with a chance to go to the Super Bowl or close to. We can hope, but can’t expect a young QB to come in and light it up year one. I’d rather target someone when we know we got our guy, but that being said I wouldn’t be mad if we signed him. 

Give me Tee Higgins over Mike Evans. Similar size but 5 years younger.

Center Tyler Biadasz and Stephon Gilmore are the most interesting Dallas FA candidates for us.

I'd still take a run at Jonah Jackson to firm up LG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

Center Tyler Biadasz and Stephon Gilmore are the most interesting Dallas FA candidates for us.

If we did the 4 guys you said it would leave the draft wide open to do whatever we want. Not forcing a pick. And we have the cap.space to make this happen. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

If we don’t like the price tag on Shultz (the top FA TE’s tend to get overpaid relative to production, but sometimes you can hit—see Engram) then I may support a short, cheaper deal for Ertz if he’s healthy. I know he’s older and half washed up but those old savvy TE’s can really have a decent shelf life and help out a young QB if they can stay on the field. He’ll be finding holes in zones until the day he retires, if his legs stay intact. 

I'd look at Fant for a TE. His production has got to improve with his pedigree. Might be the right offense for him and the light fully comes on.

Unless we're planning to target Sanders or Knox or Bell on day two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd look at Fant for a TE. His production has got to improve with his pedigree. Might be the right offense for him and the light fully comes on.

Unless we're planning to target Sanders or Knox or Bell on day two.

I feel like Dawson Knox could be a trade candidate with Buffalo’s cap situation and Kincaid’s emergence.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 3:24 PM, Est.1974 said:

Armstrong is nothing special. A lot of his sacks were coverage sacks or QBs rolling away from Micah. Solid role player but if you sign him to be your starting DE don’t expect much. He started out slow but seems to get better every year. Fowler flashes more than Armstrong

Kearse was a JAG before Quinn. He’s slooooow and gets worked over in coverage. However, he did have a back injury that did slow him down last season. He’s a solid SS option. But much better playing in the box and not in coverage.

Fowler seems to have success only under Quinn. He is the best option here. He puts up good numbers in limited opportunities.

Gilmore is another one like Armstrong. Is he good? Sure. Worth breaking the bank? No. If you bring him to be your 2 he should be ok. But he has lost about 3 steps and it showed when Diggs went down.

Fowler and Kearse are IMO 100% Lock to follow Quinn. Armstrong you can do much better with your cap situation the same for Gilmore.

On 2/2/2024 at 7:42 PM, CapsSkins said:

You don’t want Biadasz. He is just average.

We are happy he is gone and was the second weakest link on the OL. He is also more likely to re-sign in Dallas than hit the market

On 2/2/2024 at 11:39 PM, Conn said:

If we don’t like the price tag on Shultz (the top FA TE’s tend to get overpaid relative to production, but sometimes you can hit—see Engram) then I may support a short, cheaper deal for Ertz if he’s healthy. I know he’s older and half washed up but those old savvy TE’s can really have a decent shelf life and help out a young QB if they can stay on the field. He’ll be finding holes in zones until the day he retires, if his legs stay intact. 

Schultzy is another guy who can be great but just never gets to that level. Horrible in the run game with us and just an average TE. Definitely was force fed by Dak in zones near the end in Dallas .

He is Dorance Armstrong of the defense. The guy the media swears Dallas will miss … they don’t.

Edited by DeMarco Murray 29
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4