Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

EDIT, FAKE: this seems to be fake, but it’s funny so I’ll leave it up with this warning 

on the same day we take the first step on the road back to roster building competency, the Giants fumble organizationally

coincidence? It’s all on the upswing from here folks  

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Higgins hasn’t played well so far this season plus he’s benefited from playing opposite Chase. He’s got size though and we lack that.

I would keep Terry personally.

I see both sides to be honest. I will not be upset to keep McLaurin, that's for sure. But I don't think he's untouchable, either. Not for the right deal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The argument to consider moving Terry is that he'll be in his 30s and with really big cap numbers by the time this team could be contending. It still would need to be a real big offer. Supposedly Carolina is pretty desperate for a #1 Wr. Would they give their 1 in 25 (which could still be really high) plus Derrick Brown for Terry and say Mathis and a mid rounder? Probably not, but that's the kind of thing I'd consider. And then flip Allen for another 1 with Brown taking his spot? Those would eb the types of moves it'd be smart to do as a rebuilding team, but again, just throwing things out there that probably wouldn't happen. 

I'm likely more open to it than some becuase I really see Howell as a good, maybe very good QB but not elite and that doesn't thrill me going forward. But that's me. 

With the cap space and the picks we have, with the right FO and coaching staff, this team should be competing for at least the playoffs next year. It's not like there are unfillable holes all over the place. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, method man said:

With the cap space and the picks we have, with the right FO and coaching staff, this team should be competing for at least the playoffs next year. It's not like there are unfillable holes all over the place. 

Man, I really, really hope that we have  finally reached a stage where "competing for the playoffs" is no longer this organization's goal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Man, I really, really hope that we have  finally reached a stage where "competing for the playoffs" is no longer this organization's goal. 

I hear you. I am expecting more after next season

2 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

This might have been discussed (I scanned back a few pages), but wouldn't we have gotten roughly a 3rd round comp pick if CY had just left via free agency?

Unlikely. With the cap space we have, we would have likely signed enough outside FAs to offset any comp picks that would have been accrued by retaining CY. Your post also assumes CY ends up being one of the highest paid FAs. I have doubts that is going to happen on an AAV basis

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Higgins hasn’t played well so far this season plus he’s benefited from playing opposite Chase. He’s got size though and we lack that.

I would keep Terry personally.

I think we can have both! I think the EDGE and WR classes are bountiful with top talent. With the cap space we have, we can go make a couple big splashes with Hunter and Higgins/Evans as the big outside receiver

• Like 1

Perusing Twitter and man, it’s wild the perception of Chase Young from fans nationally.  A lot of comments about how the 49ers got CMac last year, and now Young - as if they are on the same tier as players.

I’m sure Chase will have a few moments for the 49ers, likely against us.  But he’s just not the game wrecker some folks are under the illusion he is.

3 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

This might have been discussed (I scanned back a few pages), but wouldn't we have gotten roughly a 3rd round comp pick if CY had just left via free agency?

it's an offsetting formula based on what you lose Vs. What you spend.  Given we have 90M of cap space next year chances are our signings offset the departures and we wouldn’t get a comp pick.  Or at least, it’s not 100% certain. 

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Agree but you do have to build.  

With any luck, Howell continues to improve and we have at least a good NFL QB going into next season.  If you put pieces around him with better coaching, then you can say the goal of the first year of the rebuild is to get to the playoffs.  And then you build from there.  

“Making the playoffs” as a stepping stone is ok.  As the end goal is not.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know Bosa and Chase are friends and at one point Bosa wanted to help Chase in the off season. I think it will be a good marriage for Chase for now 

That kind of marriage is popular in San Fran.  Might even work, but will it be "Bosa-Young" or "Young-Bosa"?

5 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Probably not.

1. We would have had to not spend much in FA to avoid offsetting it, when we have about $100M in cap space 

2. He would have to receive a big contract in FA from someone. Remains to be seen if he stays healthy, produces, and earns what he wants. If he signs a prove it deal with someone or even a medium-sized contract, that plummets to a 5th or 6th round comp pick…again, if we don’t spend in FA. 

It’s just unlikely we ever would have gotten that comp pick, for multiple reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Perusing Twitter and man, it’s wild the perception of Chase Young from fans nationally.  A lot of comments about how the 49ers got CMac last year, and now Young - as if they are on the same tier as players.

I’m sure Chase will have a few moments for the 49ers, likely against us.  But he’s just not the game wrecker some folks are under the illusion he is.

It’s the name, his time at Ohio State and the fact the only clips people are of him are the good ones. 

We know the deal.  Others will catch up eventually 

McLaurin isn’t the same situation as the ends. At all.

He’s already on his second contract. He’s been as good as the hype. He’s not a distraction in the least. 

I think moving on from guys makes sense. I think moving on from McLaurin, at this point, is stupid. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Agree but you do have to build.  

With any luck, Howell continues to improve and we have at least a good NFL QB going into next season.  If you put pieces around him with better coaching, then you can say the goal of the first year of the rebuild is to get to the playoffs.  And then you build from there.  

“Making the playoffs” as a stepping stone is ok.  As the end goal is not.  

Building for the playoffs and building for more are completely different things. For examples of the former, see the pas quarter century of this franchise. For the latter, look at most of the current legit SB contenders who did not have "let's try to make the playoffs" as a goal. The exception maybe being Cincinnati who were so bad they ended up kind of accidentally getting into position to build a contender. 

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't wanna just give McLaurin away. Even rebuilding teams need veterans to serve as mentor figures and building blocks. And I personally don't think the team needs some kind of massive talent overhaul. 

I think it needs a massive talent overhaul.  Mostly because we only have 35 players under contract for next year.  Or something like that.  

The entire defense needs to be rebuilt.  The OL need an infusion of talent, TE is going to be bare, and we’ll need a RB and probably a WR or two. 

The good news is we have a bunch of draft picks and $90m in cap space to do it.

The key will be finding the right GM and coach.  

One thing to keep in mind when it comes to “retread” coaches.  Not all are created equal.  Pederson was the perfect fit for Jax, and Reid, a really long time ago, was a retread who went to KC and has won 2 SBs. 

It doesn’t matter where you get the right guy from as long as you get the right guy.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't wanna just give McLaurin away. Even rebuilding teams need veterans to serve as mentor figures and building blocks. And I personally don't think the team needs some kind of massive talent overhaul. 

I think you make the same mistake most on here do in overrating the talent on the team. With a few exceptions it’s simply not a good team. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Building for the playoffs and building for more are completely different things. For examples of the former, see the pas quarter century of this franchise. For the latter, look at most of the current legit SB contenders who did not have "let's try to make the playoffs" as a goal. The exception maybe being Cincinnati who were so bad they ended up kind of accidentally getting into position to build a contender. 

I think you just said the same thing I did.  

My point is I wouldn't just dump everyone to dump everyone.

I like our WRs. Our DTs are tremendous and overall DL depth even without Sweat and Young is pretty solid. Davis is blossoming into a quality OLB. If we can retain Fuller I like the Fuller and St. Juste CB duo. Forrest and Curl is a quality Safety duo as well. And I'd like to see Forbes under a different D.C.

Agree the OL needs an overhaul though and I'd like to add a TE. RBs are...meh but that's a position where you can find quality talent every draft. And of course we MAY have found our QB in Howell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1