Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

I've got to imagine that Bienemy wants to target a playmaker at the TE position either through FA or the draft.  I personally think Rogers showed some very encouraging things before his injury last season, but if the coaches overall still view him as a project/devlopmental talent, then they probably want a stable pass-catching playmaker lining up at the position ASAP. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I've got to imagine that Bienemy wants to target a playmaker at the TE position either through FA or the draft.  I personally think Rogers showed some very encouraging things before his injury last season, but if the coaches overall still view him as a project/devlopmental talent, then they probably want a stable pass-catching playmaker lining up at the position ASAP. 

I think EB also needs reliable blockers at TE to help with the edge rushers

Keim’s current podcast with Bram 

A. They aren’t done in FA

B. They were initeresed in Tranquill but he choose elsewhere 

C. A LB likely will be signed 

D. Likely signings in 3rd wave of FAs, the same phase where they signed Leno 

E. They both feel Brissett is a decent upgrade over Heinicke and feel he will give Howell some serious competition in camp. They didn’t feel like Heinicke was a threat to Howell being a starter but Brissett is a legit threat 

F. They want to extend Curl and maybe Sweat 

G. Keim feels like the players will welcome for the ownership change because the constant drama/stories are distracting 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I just don't see how Brissett can be seen as a legit threat to any QB that the coaches feel should be the QB1.  You can maybe make the argument that they would still view Howell as the long term QB1 but feel like he isn't necessarily ready to shoulder that yet, but there is also the argument that at some point you have to just commit to the guy you think has the goods because there is a certain level of development that is only going to happen with actual regular season reps against live opponents.

I think if anything Brissett's 1 year contract is what is bringing on the questions because maybe the coaches view Brissett as a 1 year starter as a contingency plan should Howell get out to a bad start, but maybe it is like 2023 where the team is finding ways to win around mediocre QB play?  

Questions questions questions.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One more piece of that Eagles D gone... they are going to be starting fresh.  Going to be interesting - with two new coordinators and a depleted defense, I don't see anything going smoothly for the Eagles in the first month or two next season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moondog said:

Interesting that the Steelers signed Suemalo for similar numbers that we grabbed Wylie. I feel like Suemalo Is the better player at Guard and could have kept Cosmi at tackle but injuries to Cosmi have always been the biggest issue. Guess we will see. Perhaps Wylie fits what EB wants better. 

I was hoping for suemalo, he brings a lot to the table.  Great signing for Pittsburgh.  Seumalo has played multiple positions in the past and is a better player than Wylie.  I would have rather taken the "risk"on if seumalo would fit his system rather than settle for familiar faces.  I'm sure seumalo would've fit in just fine.; He has had success in zone, and is a road grader, he would probably thrive in power scheme too.

I also think RR & Co may have misread the market. Their strategy was to pass on top tier guys and chase mid tier guys on affordable contracts.  Looking at what some of the other linemen signed for, they may regret not targeting a pocic or a seumalo if they knew their signings would be for less than many predicted.  Versatility is nice, but I think most would prefer better players.  Then fill out the until with versatile bench guys like Schweitzer etc.

I still think we can head into 23 with a good unit after a couple premium OL in the draft.  I just think we could have played FA better, but hindsight is 20/20. 

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I just think we could have played FA better

The way that Ron and Co have gone through free agency since he got here have been head scratching, to say the least.  We keep hoping that basement bargain free agents are going to be able to come in and be plug and play types.  Sadly, that has just not been the case.  The draft will be critically important to pick up a few more offensive linemen.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim’s current podcast with Bram 

F. They want to extend Curl and maybe Sweat 

G. Keim feels like the players will welcome for the ownership change because the constant drama/stories are distracting 

:)👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

The way that Ron and Co have gone through free agency since he got here have been head scratching, to say the least.  We keep hoping that basement bargain free agents are going to be able to come in and be plug and play types.  Sadly, that has just not been the case.  The draft will be critically important to pick up a few more offensive linemen.

In most of Ron's seasons we've been just below 500 and we've had plenty of injuries to guys who were not new free agent signings.  So, I don't feel like you can say these guys they've brought in haven't contributed.  They haven't been megastars, but they've done what they've been asked

9 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I just don't see how Brissett can be seen as a legit threat to any QB that the coaches feel should be the QB1.  You can maybe make the argument that they would still view Howell as the long term QB1 but feel like he isn't necessarily ready to shoulder that yet, but there is also the argument that at some point you have to just commit to the guy you think has the goods because there is a certain level of development that is only going to happen with actual regular season reps against live opponents.

I think if anything Brissett's 1 year contract is what is bringing on the questions because maybe the coaches view Brissett as a 1 year starter as a contingency plan should Howell get out to a bad start, but maybe it is like 2023 where the team is finding ways to win around mediocre QB play?  

Questions questions questions.....

I think the one year is more likely a Brissett push versus the team saying only one year.  One years often are from the players side who believe they can prove they deserve more money the season after.

Keim-Bram weren't saying Brissett beats him or heard that's what they are expecting.  They were saying he's good enough to give Howell a real run for his money.

I liked Brissett, he was the one I wanted most as to QB FA's.  I didn't realize though to the extent of how loved he was there and how he's brimming with personality.  I knew some on that front.  But listening to those who covered him, they just gush on that front about him.  

Three different reporters said he's hilarious and doesn't take himself too seriously.  Here's a little humor on the field on that front.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Updating my original post. We'd still need to sign a ILB.  He's had injuries the past few seasons so to me,???.  Talent is there though! 

Edited by RWJ

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Updating my original post. We'd still need to sign a ILB.  He's had injuries the past few seasons so to me,???.  Talent is there though! 

5th round draft pick out of Northwestern in 2017....suffered a torn pec last season that ended his season. 27 years old. 

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

And they might get some invest in decent facilities!

Generally, I'd say that this would really take years to really fix as it sounds several buildings have been poorly maintained and there is a need to start over.  Full facilities won't be ready 2023.

However, a new owner adding a few baby changing stations might look like a hero.  There are probably several quick wins, that would feel huge for players based on just how bad that family survey went.  

• Like 1

Just now, CommDownMan said:

Generally, I'd say that this would really take years to really fix as it sounds several buildings have been poorly maintained and there is a need to start over.  Full facilities won't be ready 2023.

However, a new owner adding a few baby changing stations might look like a hero.  There are probably several quick wins, that would feel huge for players based on just how bad that family survey went.  

And in addition, an action plan can be presented, with a time line, for larger changes once the new owner settles in with their people. So even changes that aren’t imminent can create positive feelings and help build momentum for the future 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Anthony Walker was THE fan desire 1-2 FA cycles ago when he was departing Indy. Was that 2021 off-season? He was the perfect “upside LB 2nd contract breakout guy” … still a fan. Let’s see if we can get him 

This is the kind of move that should make us question the recruitment strategy. We have overlooked him 2 years running, he has earned little more than 7mil in that time. We’ve had sub par LB those seasons. Can’t predict for his injuries in that time .

Why does he fit now ?