Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Rank

Dalton Risner

OG · Age: 28

Yes, he was that dude who pushed Broncos backup quarterback Brett Rypien on the sidelines on Christmas Day. He's also started 62 games at an above-average level since entering the league.  

Rank

Drue Tranquill

LB · Age: 28

I love me some Drue Tranquill. He can play every down, excelling in coverage and as a blitzer.

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:
Rank

Dalton Risner

OG · Age: 28

Yes, he was that dude who pushed Broncos backup quarterback Brett Rypien on the sidelines on Christmas Day. He's also started 62 games at an above-average level since entering the league.  

Rank

Drue Tranquill

LB · Age: 28

I love me some Drue Tranquill. He can play every down, excelling in coverage and as a blitzer.

Drue Tranquill would be a nice addition to the LB corps!!!!  if they actually play a true 4-3 defense, you've got him, jamin, and then cody as your middle! that's a good front 7 right there!

• Like 1

We can sign a Carpenter, Bricklayer, Painter and Decorator, Dentist, Doctor, Fairground Clown, pub DJ, Lion Tamer, School Teacher and any other job that doesn't come to mind atm because

Snyder has left the Redskins Facility 

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss

Good luck to Wes. I liked him. He was like silly putty for the Oline. You could just line him up anywhere and he morphed into what you needed without much of a drop off in play and regardless of who was next to him.

Gates has some large shoes to fill in my book... unless he is just a primary C.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I'm looking at the signings trying to poke holes in them and when I read about Wylie's history he's always been a guard.  He gave up 9 sacks last year at tackle and it looks like KC only moved him to tackle when their starting tackle was injured which happened the last 2 years.  I guess my question is why do we think he can play RT?

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

He gave up 9 sacks last year at tackle and it looks like KC only moved him to tackle when their starting tackle was injured which happened the last 2 years.  I guess my question is why do we think he can play RT?

First I think its important to quantify the 9 sacks.

A.) Chiefs throw a ton. You throw more, you get more sacks.

B.) Mahomie is unafraid to hold the ball for an eternity. Plus the desired bailout to extend the play for a right handed QB is to roll right, so you don't have to throw across you body. This strains on your RT obviously.

Second, after getting decimated by injuries upfront, they are taking the Wes Schweitzer approach and acquiring omni-tools. Between Gates, Wylie and Cosmi we kind of have some kind of amorphous blob of an Oline rather than a set in stone unit. That makes us much more flexibility to sustain injuries, which at this point we should just figure are inevitable.

They are probably going to be playing musical chair throughout the season, and they have each shown they can log time at various spot. As for Wylie in particular, while he was average at best as a tackle, many people have noted that he played out of his mind in the playoffs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Good luck to Wes. I liked him. He was like silly putty for the Oline. You could just line him up anywhere and he morphed into what you needed without much of a drop off in play and regardless of who was next to him.

Gates has some large shoes to fill in my book... unless he is just a primary C.

I think I woulda rather kept Schweitzer at 2yr/$7.5m, than go 3yr/16.5m for Gates.  But I gather they plan on making Gates the starting center, which I'm skeptical about.  

I'm not sure how much stronger this OL is.  Right now, it's Leno, Norwell, Gates, Cosmi, Wylie.  Is that really an upgrade?  It just seems different rather than anybody should feel enthused by it.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I think I woulda rather kept Schweitzer at 2yr/$7.5m, than go 3yr/16.5m for Gates.  But I gather they plan on making Gates the starting center, which I'm skeptical about.  

I'm not sure how much stronger this OL is.  Right now, it's Leno, Norwell, Gates, Cosmi, Wylie.  Is that really an upgrade?  It just seems different rather than anybody should feel enthused by it.

I think they are comfortable with Gates as the starting center if needed and that is not the case with Wes. If that is the thinking, it's still quite the premium to pay for Gates vs Schweitzer unless that third year is some big dummy year where the base salary is way higher vs year 1 and year 2. 

Regarding the broader comment of the current OL, I think they cut Roullier after the draft once they take a center and that center may be your day 1 starter. I also wouldn't rule out a tackle with the first round pick. Leno/Wylie/Gates/Cosmi/1st round pick RT is a very solid OL with two athletic stud guards opening things up in the interior

6 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

Was Wes someone else on Aaron’s list of FA that he wanted the Jets to get :rofl89:

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Keim’s podcast tonight Drue Tranquill on their radar but only iif at a good price 

He’s just about the last man standing in that tier for us to get really.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

We don’t know the structure of the deal but Holcomb signed for 3 years at $18 million with the Steelers and we couldn’t get there with him?

That’s a damn shame.  

I'd assume we didn't want to get there with him. 

And he may not have wanted to get there with us.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

I wanted to bring Cole back but not for that much money. He gets you a bunch of tackles and not much else. Guys like that are a dime a dozen, it was just nice that he knew the system.

He would have purely been insurance, a pretty decent policy at that, but not any kind of solution.

• Like 1