Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Just now, DWinzit said:

Do we know if Carter will be able to defer his military obligation yet? He is very talented but I don't see him as a great fit for Washington.

I still am liking Campbell and Henley over the others

He's declared for the draft so I assume so. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Okay, I hear that. So in that hypothetical ...

Rookie OT starts at RT. Lucas is the backup to him at RT. Wylie kicks to RG. Cosmi becomes your backup RT? Or does Wylie kick to LG? That relegates Gates to Center with Larsen, and now you cut Norwell and Roullier. 

LT Leno

LG Wylie, Paul

OC Gates, Larsen

RG Cosmi, Charles

RT Rookie RT, Lucas

Norwell and a post-June 1st cut of Roullier gets you $11m in cap space this year.

This lineup I almost agree with. I think they grab a center in rds 3 or 4 too. Charles is off the team or on PS

I think when they let Roullier and Norwell go, they get the $ to extend Curl

Edited by method man

1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

Linebacker has become the least important position on defense. It’s the place to save some money rather than jumping at expensive free agents. Same as running back on offense. Ron has a pretty good record with finding hidden gems even if not yet at linebacker. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt on Barton, and whatever other lesser known guys we end up bringing it. If we are handing out another good size contract on defense, I’d like to see it be a CB.

I think it's debatable.  I was listening to some NFL talk recently about how the league has changed and how coaching adjusts.  The thought was, because of the focus on passing, defenses have adjusted to cover more, and teams draft for speed and quickness.  So, coverage safeties, pass rushers, and coverage linebackers are the premium, not your Ray Lewis type downhill, sideline to sideline tackling machines.  But now, offenses are scheming against these smaller defenses who are not stout enough to stop the run, with more and more success, similar to us last year.  

I think you still have to have a linebacker that can run fit properly AND cover which is why guys like Tre Edmunds, Roquan Smith, and Bobby Wagner are still so valuable.  If not, your defense can't get off the field because you're getting gashed, and time of possession comes back into play.  We had no business being a playoff contender last year, but we leaned on teams with our backs and dinking and dunking with Heinicke (and his ability to avoid sacks), to a fairly successful season.  I think more teams will start to play this way because it's the alternative to not having the great QB.  The Giants made the playoffs running the rock and Philly rode it to the Superbowl last year.  

Just now, method man said:

This lineup I almost agree with. I think they grab a center in rds 3 or 4 too. Charles is off the team or on PS

I don't know if we go OT-C ... but it's a deep Center class, so let's say we got Wypler or Tippman or Olu in the 3rd or 4th. I doubt they're asked to come in and start right away. But you're not keeping Roullier in that scenario if you've also got Gates and Larsen.

LT Leno

LG Wylie, Paul

OC Gates, Rookie, Larsen

RG Cosmi, Charles

RT Rookie, Lucas

I agree Charles is probably the odd man out there, but I thought I heard somewhere that the team is still really high on him. 

1 minute ago, method man said:

I think when they let Roullier and Norwell go, they get the $ to extend Curl

You see the deal Jesse Bates got?

If I were Washington I'd draft a guy to replace Curl juuuuuuuuuuuust in case.

We can't pay a safety that kind of money. That's wild.

And Curl tweeted something about a seatbelt after that deal was made.

Jason Taylor II, Brian Branch... you have to at least consider them. 

A draft that gets us Brian Branch, Bergeron, Stromberg is a win, too. Lots of positive ways for this draft to shake out imo. 

• Like 4

Just now, KDawg said:

You see the deal Jesse Bates got?

If I were Washington I'd draft a guy to replace Curl juuuuuuuuuuuust in case.

We can't pay a safety that kind of money. That's wild.

And Curl tweeted something about a seatbelt after that deal was made.

Jason Taylor II, Brian Branch... you have to at least consider them. 

A draft that gets us Brian Branch, Bergeron, Stromberg is a win, too. Lots of positive ways for this draft to shake out imo. 

Yep Brian Branch is back in the game for me. Curl is going to want 12-15mil per year at this rate.

31 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Over The Cap, Commanders have $8m in cap space before the Obada one year deal hits ... so unless we plan to make some moves I can't see us being much more active in FA. We'll need that $$ to pay for our draft picks and take some money into the season. Of course there are cuts we can make that will free up some change here or there, but it's not like we are flush with cash at this point to make any significant signings.

There are several easy contract moves we can make to create space, the question is why would we do certain ones now. We might want to wait until the draft on Thomas, Roullier, Norwell etc. Maybe not. I’m fine either way. But we dont need to react on those quickly if we don’t want.

Easy interim solution on cap space is to convert salary on Jon Allen and Curtis Samuel. 

Be interesting to see the actual contract details on our FA. Wouldn’t surprise me if we’ve got voidable years on some deals which actually makes out cap position better than is being shown right now.

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I don't know if we go OT-C ... but it's a deep Center class, so let's say we got Wypler or Tippman or Olu in the 3rd or 4th. I doubt they're asked to come in and start right away. But you're not keeping Roullier in that scenario if you've also got Gates and Larsen.

LT Leno

LG Wylie, Paul

OC Gates, Rookie, Larsen

RG Cosmi, Charles

RT Rookie, Lucas

I agree Charles is probably the odd man out there, but I thought I heard somewhere that the team is still really high on him. 

Some posters here are just blowing a video of Charles greeting EB out of proportion

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

When is the unofficial start of the third wave? Probably ends the hope on Wagner or Tranquill unless they are still out there

We must be the only team in the NFL that doesn't restructure contracts and still end up in the bottom half of the league in cap space, I know we have a lot of cap space in 2024 but Rivera is probably gone after this season, I thought they might have given him more of a chance this year. In my opinion we are still way behind

the Eagles and Cowpats and fighting the Giants for last place in the NFCE. I'm very underwhelmed with FA so far.

Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

There are several easy contract moves we can make to create space, the question is why would we do certain ones now. We might want to wait until the draft on Thomas, Roullier, Norwell etc. Maybe not. I’m fine either way. But we dont need to react on those quickly if we don’t want.

Easy interim solution on cap space is to convert salary on Jon Allen and Curtis Samuel. 

Be interesting to see the actual contract details on our FA. Wouldn’t surprise me if we’ve got voidable years on some deals which actually makes out cap position better than is being shown right now.

Yeah, I don't expect us to do much right now. As you said, a lot probably depends on how the draft unfolds. If we draft 1-2 OL it makes some guys expendable. If we draft or sign a TE, it makes Logan Thomas expendable. We have the ability to part with guys to create cap space if needed, but Keim just tweeted confirmation that we are likely done with any major additions at this stage in FA, so there's really no need or rush to create cap space.

We have $8m in cap space right now, but I suspect by roster cut-down in August that we'll have a decent chunk of cap space going into the season to roll over to 2024. My guess is we go into the season with between $15-20m in cap space, and end up rolling $10-15 million over to 2024, where we already have a decent amount of cap space (but also a lot of defenders needing big deals)

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thumb up 1

Just cutting Chase Roullier with a post June-1st designation gets us to $17m this year and $110m next year. Of course we could opt to keep him if he's healthy and our penciled-in starter at Center. The Larsen deal is pretty small, so he could be a camp cut if Roullier sticks, even if we drafted a Center fairly early (as Roullier's 2024 replacement).

I feel like the Gates and Wylie additions gave us a ton of versatility on the OL. If we draft a legit starting Tackle at 16 (or 47), it could kick Wylie to LG. That would mean Gates moves to Center. If Roullier sticks, then we just have a high-end backup C/G in Gates. Or if Gates sticks at LG, it gives us a high-end backup T/G in Wylie. I just have a hard time thinking we paid Gates $5m and Wylie $8m not to start. So by drafting a Tackle at 16 to start at RT, that means Wylie and Gates at LG and Center, and Roullier on the outs. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

We must be the only team in the NFL that doesn't restructure contracts and still end up in the bottom half of the league in cap space, I know we have a lot of cap space in 2024 but Rivera is probably gone after this season, I thought they might have given him more of a chance this year. In my opinion we are still way behind

the Eagles and Cowpats and fighting the Giants for last place in the NFCE. I'm very underwhelmed with FA so far.

Just my opinion. 

I think on balance we’ve done a solid job so far. Average talent getting serious money is become a prominent theme. Not sure I’ll chase that anymore like we have in the past. Another couple of mid tier moves would be good pre draft. 

1 minute ago, FrFan said:

Max Scharping is available

Yep I’ve picked him out

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Just cutting Chase Roullier with a post June-1st designation gets us to $17m this year and $110m next year. Of course we could opt to keep him if he's healthy and our penciled-in starter at Center. The Larsen deal is pretty small, so he could be a camp cut if Roullier sticks, even if we drafted a Center fairly early (as Roullier's 2024 replacement).

Post June 1st doesn’t get us any more space now through.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Post June 1st doesn’t get us any more space now through.

Of course, I just think any cutting of Roullier would come after the draft. You could theoretically spend the cap down to $2-3m on signing picks and other FAs and then use the savings from Roullier post June-1st to give yourself spending flexibility into the season. 

28 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Okay, I hear that. So in that hypothetical ...

Rookie OT starts at RT. Lucas is the backup to him at RT. Wylie kicks to RG. Cosmi becomes your backup RT? Or does Wylie kick to LG? That relegates Gates to Center with Larsen, and now you cut Norwell and Roullier. 

LT Leno

LG Wylie, Paul

OC Gates, Larsen

RG Cosmi, Charles

RT Rookie RT, Lucas

Norwell and a post-June 1st cut of Roullier gets you $11m in cap space this year.

Tough to predict how it’ll shake out, particularly due to the versatility (especially Wylie and Gates, but Cosmi too), not knowing what the draft will bring, or how ready Paul and Cosmi are. 

LT - Leno

LG - Gates and Paul compete

C - If we draft a higher end C, I think Roullier is gone.  Rook competes with Larsen, and Gates provides insurance.  I wouldn’t be shocked if they also drafted a late round C for the PS.

RG - I think it’s Cosmi’s job to lose, but he might have fairly stiff competition from Wylie.

RT - If we land a 1st round OT, I’d guess they’ll be given every opportunity to start at RT.  If they look promising early on, I assume Wylie practices as a G.

I’d guess it’s going to be fairly fluid for a while (Wylie could instead compete at LG, Gates at center, etc).  Barring serious injuries, I’ll be a bit surprised if Charles or Norwell stick around.  Going to be interesting to see if Wylie and/or Gates start the season on the bench, given their contracts.

@WyvernPersonally, I’m good with our LB depth.  Hudson’s been in the system and has flashed, Mayo filled in pretty well for Holcomb (and even though he’s limited athletically, he can qb the D), the staff liked Eifler (who’s very athletic and now has a year under his belt), and Gerry.  What I’d really like to see is us draft a backer that can relegate Barton to the bench (or Eifler manages to), or a situational role.  I have hopes for Barton, but realistically I doubt he’s more than a decent level starter.

As of now, I’m guessing Mayo and Barton will rotate a bit next to Jamin.

Edited by skinny21

Apparently they love Roullier, great locker room leader and all that, but we’d all agree his contract doesn’t work now. 50% salary cut and I’d keep him in 2023. Other wise gone.

Norwell and Thomas for me seem nailed on at some stage.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, skinny21 said:

I’d guess it’s going to be fairly fluid for a while (Wylie could instead compete at LG, Gates at center, etc).  Barring serious injuries, I’ll be a bit surprised if Charles or Norwell stick around.  Going to be interesting to see if Wylie and/or Gates start the season on the bench, given their contracts.

I would guess Gates could/would be the most likely to start on the bench as the backup Center or Guard and utility lineman who will plug in after the first IOL injury.

We could draft a Tackle at #16 to come in and start at RT. In that case, Wylie could flip to LG. Cosmi at RG. Then Gates becomes your starting Center (if you cut Roullier) or a high-end utility backup.

Leno - Wylie - Roullier - Cosmi - Rookie RT would be a really solid starting group with Gates, Paul, Charles, Lucas, Larsen and likely another IOL rookie as backups.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Just my opinion. 

Yup.

Giants already have a leg up on us by having a superior HC (I think Daboll will prove to be the best HC in the division) and always have the Redskins' number.  They had a bad - and I mean bad - roster last year and won a playoff game.  Meanwhile, Rivera continues to flounder in Year 3.  I see nothing that will change that heading into Rivera's 4th season.

No one, but no one builds for a .500 team like Washington. 

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I would guess Gates could/would be the most likely to start on the bench as the backup Center or Guard and utility lineman who will plug in after the first IOL injury.

We could draft a Tackle at #16 to come in and start at RT. In that case, Wylie could flip to LG. Cosmi at RG. Then Gates becomes your starting Center (if you cut Roullier) or a high-end utility backup.

Leno - Wylie - Roullier - Cosmi - Rookie RT would be a really solid starting group with Gates, Paul, Charles, Lucas, Larsen and likely another IOL rookie as backups.

I think Gates and Wylie are here to start. EB wants nasty in the trenches. Gates is just that.

2 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Yup.

Giants already have a leg up on us by having a superior HC (I think Daboll will prove to be the best HC in the division) and always have the Redskins' number.  They had a bad - and I mean bad - roster last year and won a playoff game.  Meanwhile, Rivera continues to flounder in Year 3.  I see nothing that will change that heading into Rivera's 4th season.

No one, but no one builds for a .500 team like Washington. 

I’m generally underwhelmed in FA when we don’t spend spend spend, but on balance the Payne contract and bringing Brissett in are very positive moves. Plus 2 solid OL. Maybe a couple of players short. Or one of real quality pre draft.

Edited by Est.1974