Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Elimination Day

KDawg

37 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

he other, coming out of halftime where we had just scored a TD on the longest drive in two decades on the strength of the run game, you had to know that the Browns were going to adjust and sell out to stop the run.  Scott voluntarily hands the momentum directly back to the Browns by running up the gut twice in a row forcing 3rd and long.  Has a situation ever begged more for playaction?  Everything spiraled out of control from that point forward and I pin that solely on him.  .

Yep I'm glad someone else mentioned this. I brought it up in the GDT at the time it happened. This is an example of what I mean when I say Turner has no in game feel. 

A good coach would recognize: "Okay the Browns are going to adjust hard to stop the run. I should come out with some play action, or quick short passes into the gaps that will be open from their blitzes and 8/9 man boxes." 

But Turner just keeps pounding it into a wall. Which is fine if we had the Hogs from the 80s playing(and not IN their 80s watching from the stands). 

I have no doubts he's a good designer of plays. We do get guys open with regularity. But his in game coaching ability is awful. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Drfustercluck said:

to Wentz doing a Michael Jordan impersonation at the goal line, and I'm fuming: WHY THE **** DIDN'T WE DO THAT ON THAT 4TH AND 1????

No way justifying the 4th and 1 call. Terrible call. Even worse that you don't have BRob on the field!

But you cant call the QB over the top extend the ball play anywhere other then goal line.

At goal line as soon as ball breaks plane it's a TD.

4th and 1 he does that and a LB smacks the ball out it's a fumble.

But a reg QB sneak, or any handoff to Brob would have been enough 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

No way justifying the 4th and 1 call. Terrible call. Even worse that you don't have BRob on the field!

But you cant call the QB over the top extend the ball play anywhere other then goal line.

I believe BRob was banged up, but you still have to stuff it up the middle with Williams.  They cannot under any circumstances run a slow developing toss in that scenario.

• Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

Ah yes, the Case Keenum 4th and inches, not on the goal line, ball extension that turned into a fumble a few years ago.  Good times!

31 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I believe BRob was banged up, but you still have to stuff it up the middle with Williams.  They cannot under any circumstances run a slow developing toss in that scenario.

That excuse makes no sense. He was too banged up for 4th and 1 but as soon as we got the ball back he was ok for runs on 1st and 2nd down?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TMK9973 said:

That excuse makes no sense. He was too banged up for 4th and 1 but as soon as we got the ball back he was ok for runs on 1st and 2nd down?

I’m not making an excuse for him.  I believe that playcall was a fireable offense.

I could be wrong but I thought BRob went down the play before and had to come out.  I recall the broadcast team making mention of something but maybe I’m wrong.

I admit that I didn't hate the decision to start Wentz yesterday. I trusted that Rivera and the staff had a good feel that Wentz got a better grasp of the offense while injured and that the team as a whole felt like the Heinicke magic went as far as it could and they supported a change.

Clearly, it was the wrong move and it was obvious from the start. Wentz's first two throws were an overthrown swing pass- which he did regularly when he was starting earlier in the season- and a horrendous interception. It was clear to me after those two throws that nothing had changed with Wentz and a quick hook was in order.

What got me was that Rivera refused to pull the trigger and put Heinicke in when it was clear early on that Wentz hadn't improved one iota since we last saw him as our starter. The arrogance and stubbornness by Rivera to stick with Wentz, because it would've been an admission of what a bad move he made by starting Wentz, was our head coach putting his ego before the team.

And even if Rivera really didn't know that we could very possibly be eliminated from playoff contention with a loss- which is so unfathomable to me that our coach didn't know that situation- he still owed it to the team to get Wentz the hell out of there. I don't know how Heinicke would've played had he replaced Wentz. But after a few possessions it was obvious that Wentz was going to stink up the joint all afternoon and there's no way Heinicke would've been a worse option. 

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

This team has been mediocre under Ron.  Offensive line could not be fixed because we had no money left after spending it on a certain QB contract.

This team did not deserve making the playoffs based on their performance during the season.

Except, they didnt spend money on OL either of the previous 2 years either when they had cap money to work with.  Paying Scherff and rolling with Heinicke surely would have gotten at least the same results.  

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

My favorite moment of the game was the Payne sack and celebration. Schlereth said “look, he’s taking notes.”  Nope.  He was mimicking the big deal he’s going to sign.  He had a great year.  Hope the compensatory pick we get for him works out.

I remember that too. Despite that, Schlereth is still my favorite announcer. Love his energy and I still remember his call of that drive last year against Tampa. Amin complements him well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

LMAO @ the discussion about the 4th and 1 toss.  

Here are 2 different conversations I had with 2 different people during the game yesterday.

Putting in spoilers due to language in images lol.

Hide contents

wEaGHN4.jpg

FsNdSSZ.jpg

Green Chat bubbles?!?!? Get rid of that friend

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The other, coming out of halftime where we had just scored a TD on the longest drive in two decades on the strength of the run game, you had to know that the Browns were going to adjust and sell out to stop the run.  Scott voluntarily hands the momentum directly back to the Browns by running up the gut twice in a row forcing 3rd and long.  Has a situation ever begged more for playaction?  Everything spiraled out of control from that point forward and I pin that solely on him.  

The 4th and one was unforgivable, but that's been covered already. This situation though, as you correctly pointed out, was almost as egregious. My son and I play a lot of Madden and I literally said to him that if we were playing it was asking for a play action pass. From memory the announcers said the same thing. Then on third and long you can't call it as the defence are waiting for it. Just appalling play-calling.

D was bad but they were missing core players even b4 Allen got hurt.

O was worse and Wentz performance was horrendous.

Accuracy really needs to be a focal point with the next QB we bring in-house. Run-first or pass first O you can not be successful long term without it.

I think if this were a "normal" offseason a bunch of our coaches would get canned. Hard to predict that in a sale environment tho.

They lost to a team that just sort of hung around on the field waiting for every 5th play or so to gain yards.  It was pathetic.  The only good drive of the game by the offense was to end the half and surprise surprise it is when Scott Turner actually went back to the run heavy play calling.   Wentz sucked, period.  Maaaaan was I wrong about his ceiling, however I couldn't believe I was actually watching them throw Wentz out there without the run-centric offense.  I feel like the coaching staff was all but promising that putting Wentz in would not totally change the play calling and emphasis back to what it was prior to the Heinicke run, but they did exactly that sanz for one drive, in which they scored a TD.

Fire them all, today.

5 hours ago, Drfustercluck said:

Oh man! The bile that rises to my throat when you mentioned the 4th and 1 toss....

To make it worse, Brob was actually running onto the field before he was called back to the sidelines. Turner is a foolish, stubborn man. And it's not as if this was an anomaly; He consistently made these calls throughout the season. You'd think he'd learn. Fast forward to Wentz doing a Michael Jordan impersonation at the goal line, and I'm fuming: WHY THE **** DIDN'T WE DO THAT ON THAT 4TH AND 1????

30 years as a fan. I can still relish in the memory of the last super bowl season (I feel sorry for those who have never known this team as championship-caliber), but those memories are beginning to fade, and my patience is waning.

My patience was gone after the 2013 season, it’s my interest that is in jeopardy now.

• Sad 1