Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, woodpecker said:

That he is in such a good position to get this guy to me would actually indicate competent management.

We will just have to disagree I guess. Three consecutive years of bottom of the basement records isnt a rebuild. It is simply a poorly run franchise. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

At least we'll eat well while our 2-15 Commanders fight for ol DC!

We can always watch the other games afterward if we are the early games in the lounges. There is going to be up and down years with any owner but if they build a really nice gameday experience at a stadium not in the boonies, it’s a great start. 

Fedex has gone to hell. When it was first built, the club level was decent. They had the crab cake place. They added the make your own Bloody Mary bar. They had all the premium alcohol brands and Red Bull. I even called the ticket office once to complain that they didn’t have sugar feee Red Bull and it was added the following year based on fan input. They added the hooters. It wasn’t horrible.

Then it slowly went to hell. They signed the Diageo partnership and got rid of all alcohol not distributed by them and they got rid of Red Bull. That was the beginning of the end of the game day experience on the club level. Don’t limit my alcohol choices. Rule number one of running a successful bar. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to Adam Epstein, makes spot radio host apperances, long time fan.  Like me he prefers Harris but is cool with Bezos

He repeated something I've heard a bunch of people who are covering the story say which is he heard Rales is plugged in with city politicians in a good way and would be key to get that DC stadium and he's jazzed about that.

Between Rales and Harris wealth, the combination would be one of the wealthiest owners in the league.  So I doubt this team would be poor with them at the helm.  And Dan's problems are so deeper than being cash poor.  IMO that's a minor plot line as for why he stunk as an owner not the main narrative. Heck he didn't start his stewardship cash poor, that was a function of how this team and his other business deals went sour.

As his old buddy lavar Arrington said what did him in more than anything was his personality -- he treated people like crap and it permeated the culture there.   He didn't hire great people and get out of their way.  He interferred with everything and in a bad way.

Wealth alone doesn't move me.  Tepper I believe is the 2nd wealthiest owner in the league, and he hasn't exactly taken the league by storm.  For a new owner, I want class, sports smarts and money.  But I definitely prefer wealth everything being equal.

With Bezos, I can't say for sure he'd spend money hand over fist. history of being known for being frugal makes me pause a little that he'd spend money on this team like its a major passion and labor of love.  I am not saying he won't but there is at least something in his background that makes me pause on the point. 

If the dude was like a Richard Branson type, praised for his personality by most for being a great guy to work for -- I'd be 100% all in on Bezos.  But Bezos has had a zillion mentions, even books written, about how he can be an over the top douche of a personality and a miserable dude to work for.

But I am overlooking all of that for the most part because mainly one point.  I do agree that Bezos likely builds the best stadium.  his ego would be too invested i think to build something "meh".  I got some concerns though that he can secure the land considering he is one of the most polarizing business figures politically. 

Heck part of the narrartive why some don't think Bezos ends up with this team is while some here think he will glady spend whatever it takes to do whatever -- they don't think he will pays hundreds of millions more for the team than the next bidder if that's what it takes.  So for me to be sold on Bezos 100%, right now am at about 90%, ironically it would be him doing what some think here is a slam dunk (but some others covering the story don't see it as a given) and outbids eveyone by a decent margin.

the thought for me is if Bezos does that its a good sign, that he will be what some of his big fans here think he would be and that is a big spender.  I've heard enough where I don't think Bezos is the most likable dude.  But I can swallow that dynamic if he's not in the building much which I suspect would be the case.  And as for the money, for me to be sold, i'd like to see the spending here in action.  So for that reason if he ends up coming in here and outbidding everyone by a decent margin -- i'd see that as a great sign that he likely adapts that style as an owner.

This is why I don't get the whole "Bezos would be an automatic grand slam win" angle. Does he have being ludicrously rich going for him as a prospective owner? Of course. But there are some major worries too.

He's well known for being extremely frugal when it comes to running his businesses, and he's also well known for being an asshole who often treats people like **** and that it can be miserable working for him.

So the main question is, would those aspects of his business philosophy and his personal management style directly come through in a sports team he owned as well? I'd assume so, at least to some extent.

It's not a foregone conclusion that he'll be cheap and/or treat the people he hires like ****. But, given his well documented history, it's certainly something to be concerned about.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Fedex has gone to hell. When it was first built, the club level was decent. They had the crab cake place. They added the make your own Bloody Mary bar. They had all the premium alcohol brands and Red Bull. I even called the ticket office once to complain that they didn’t have sugar feee Red Bull and it was added the following year based on fan input. They added the hooters. It wasn’t horrible.

My understanding was that the club level in the first year of the stadium was pretty bare bones, like it didn't even have carpeting and wasn't enclosed.

But yeah, it seemed a lot better in the past than it turned out to be. I would've hoped that one of the restaurant concepts they tried in the first few years of the stadium would've stuck instead of having Hooters in there. And at one point they tried some lame buffet with few selections that they were trying to charge $100 per head for.

We went back to FedEx for a game this fall in the club level for the first time since 2018 and it seems like it had deteriorated further. Removed a lot of the seating in the concourse. Also, the week we went (Titans) there was a London game in the morning. Do you think any of the TVs were showing that? Nope, we had the pleasure of watching warmups. And in past years, if you wanted to hang around for a while after a 1 pm game, you'd have to watch the coach's press conference instead of one of the late games you might be interested in. Nobody in that organization seems to have a clue as to what people want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

My understanding was that the club level in the first year of the stadium was pretty bare bones, like it didn't even have carpeting and wasn't enclosed.

But yeah, it seemed a lot better in the past than it turned out to be. I would've hoped that one of the restaurant concepts they tried in the first few years of the stadium would've stuck instead of having Hooters in there. And at one point they tried some lame buffet with few selections that they were trying to charge $100 per head for.

We went back to FedEx for a game this fall in the club level for the first time since 2018 and it seems like it had deteriorated further. Removed a lot of the seating in the concourse. Also, the week we went (Titans) there was a London game in the morning. Do you think any of the TVs were showing that? Nope, we had the pleasure of watching warmups. And in past years, if you wanted to hang around for a while after a 1 pm game, you'd have to watch the coach's press conference instead of one of the late games you might be interested in. Nobody in that organization seems to have a clue as to what people want.

I got season tickets in 1999 or 2000 when they added the dream seats on the field. I went to a game to a game in 1997 and 1998 but not on the club level.  But the Club level in 2000 to 2005 was way better than the dumpster fire it is now. Feels like an abandoned mall about to be imploded these days. 

I have watched 3 games at the Vegas stadium and those guys know how to do it. I don’t know if the Rockets guy would be a good owner or not but he knows how to build lounges, bars and restaurants. Sofi is not as good even though it cost nearly 6 billion.  I’m 100% team Bezos but this Rockets’ guy might be a better choice than Harris on the stadium building front. 

• Like 1

So the reason that there have been so few leaks about the sale is because other owners have been reluctant to ask the Snyders about how it's going. However, all the owners will be in the same place as Tanya for multiple days this week. Certainly, they should be able to get some kind of updates from her/their lawyers?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

All along I’ve been curious about the motivation and passion from SoCal regarding Beezos.  Come to find out it’s entirely based around his ownership having the highest likelihood of a high end club level at a new stadium.  🤣

And a stadium close to a metro stop preferably in the district. If I’m coming in from out of town I want access to the metro. If it’s the RFK it’s a dream for out of town people. So many hotel choices on the metro.

You fly into Reagan get on the metro and are at a decent hotel in minutes. I always tend to come with different friends so they all want to see the sights etc and the RFK site would be golden.

FedEx having to walk sucks. Plus it’s a long metro ride. I drink too much to rent a car and Uber from there sucks. Motivation number  is location. A stadium in rural Virginia is a non starter. I want to get season tickets again and location matters.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This is why I don't get the whole "Bezos would be an automatic grand slam win" angle. Does he have being ludicrously rich going for him as a prospective owner? Of course. But there are some major worries too.

He's well known for being extremely frugal when it comes to running his businesses, and he's also well known for being an asshole who often treats people like **** and that it can be miserable working for him.

So the main question is, would those aspects of his business philosophy and his personal management style directly come through in a sports team he owned as well? I'd assume so, at least to some extent.

It's not a foregone conclusion that he'll be cheap and/or treat the people he hires like ****. But, given his well documented history, it's certainly something to be concerned about.

One of Bezos' key business themes centers on his frugality.  Yet, somehow we expect its slam dunk that theme is out the window if he owns this team?

And look i am not even saying he doesn't take the road of spare no expense if he bought the team.  But based on his history, to just assume he would do that, IMO is starry eye infatuation with his ownership-- because at a minimum there is at least a chance he doesn't spend the moon if he owns this team. 

https://digiday.com/marketing/frugal-mentality-amazon-pitches-advertisers-cannes/

Facebook and Google occupy large, noticeable spaces in Cannes — beachfronts where they host everything from meetings to concerts to lavish buffets and smoothie bars. But you’d be a little bit hard pressed to find the third leg of the so-called “triopoly” anywhere along the Croisette.

Instead, Amazon, which broke $3 billion in ad revenue this year and has an ever-maturing ad platform, prefers to keep things quiet when it comes to Cannes.

It’s an approach that shows that even at the advertising industry’s splashiest event, Amazon will maintain its frugal company culture. By eschewing the platform playbook of using beaches and parties to appeal to advertisers at Cannes, Amazon is telling marketers that even as it works to bolster its ad business it will continue to play by its own rules.

...Shunning the splashy parties and beaches that its tech counterparts host for small meetings is in line with the company’s frugal and customer-obsessed culture, according to two former Amazon employees.

“They don’t have a boondoggle mentality,” said Melissa Burdick, a former Amazon Media Group employee and president at Pacvue, a company that provides software solutions for advertisers on Amazon. “They have a frugal mentality. The fact that they’d go [to Cannes] is indicative that they think it’s important, but I could never see them throwing a party.”

..“I don’t see them ever doing a big splashy circuit,” said Reeves, adding that the quiet and personal experience Amazon Advertising does offer can be an escape from the commotion of the festival. “If [I’m a customer] and I see them spending a million dollars on a beach at Cannes I’m thinking ‘that’s why the Prime is more expensive this month’.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/billionaires-frugal-habits-jeff-bezos-warren-buffett-carlos-slim-a8174081.html

Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder and CEO, was still driving a Honda Accord as a billionaire.

Net worth: $109 billion

Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos may be the richest person on earth, but as of 2013, he was still driving a Honda Accord, according to Brad Stone's book “The Everything Store.”

From the driver's seat of his Accord, Bezos told Bob Simon during a 1999 “60 Minutes” interview that “this is a perfectly good car.”

Before that, Bezos was driving a 1987 Chevy Blazer, which he used to deliver packages to the post office in the early days of Amazon.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

@Skinsinparadise , I see what you're saying about Bezos personally being that way, and even with Amazon.

But this would be an entirely new ERA for him to  establish this team the way the previous owner didn't care to. I'm not saying caviar on every flight, but the facilities and stadium and game day experience have to be to the 10's, the GM be well-regarded, the scout team being the largest in the league, and then that's it.  Start that from the beginning, and the ROI will be difficult to measure.

Also I'm on Ambien so yeah hopefully this makese sepoikwghe 'pdohfg/JEsdrgjhdaogf  cents

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As much as I would love for the team to go back to the RFK site, it is a complete boondoggle of competing interests.  Given the state of Fedex Field and the need for a quick resolution on the stadium front, I think any of the ownership group would do well just to get the stadium back in DC, even if not at the RFK site.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

But this would be an entirely new ERA for him to  establish this team the way the previous owner didn't care to. I'm not saying caviar on every flight, but the facilities and stadium and game day experience have to be to the 10's, the GM be well-regarded, the scout team being the largest in the league, and then that's it.  Start that from the beginning, and the ROI will be difficult to measure.

All of this would be both great and possible, but not a given.  It’s just positive speculation based on him being one of the richest men in the world.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

@Skinsinparadise , I see what you're saying about Bezos personally being that way, and even with Amazon.

Also I'm on Ambien so yeah hopefully this makese sepoikwghe 'pdohfg/JEsdrgjhdaogf  cents

I've said many times probably so that he indeed likely would spend but where I stop is saying yeah 100% there is nothing to worry about.  Some seem to believe they know how Bezos would act like they are long time friends and are vouching for him.  But unlike them I am not friends with him and I haven't had conversations with him about this. :ols:

My point is likely he's not cheap with this team.  I've said a million times I'd love to have him.  But some see me as being too critical when saying there is a small chance that his "frugal" culture motif would have a bearing on the team.   But you got me how others could vouch for him where we know with 100% certainty that the frugal cultiure motif of Amazon wouldn't impinge on this at all. 

It's a variable that isn't a deal breaker for me -- but I am not pretending it doesn't exist as a concern.    As far as his personality, I don't think people change, their personalities are static.  But even that's not a deal breaker with me either because I suspect he wouldn't be in the building much anyway. 

So my takes on Bezos are simple.  I'd love to have him.  Every person has red flags, those two variables are his potential red flags to me.  I prefer Harris and Rales.  But Bezos is the close runner up to me.

But the idea that Amazon is known for its frugality and Bezos and some of his managers are known to be often hot tempered and condescending, is all over the place.  A zillion articles about this.

They won't be making a movie anytime soon like they have about how Google for example is a great place to work for about Amazon.:ols:. Now i am willing and i do entertain the idea that all of that is likely out the widow here.  But IMHO its a bit pie in the sky to act like that dynamic doesn't exist in his background.  Everyone of these people have disclaimers.  Some act like that doesn't include Bezos but IMO they are wrong -- Bezos certainly has his own disclaimers, too.

Ex-Amazon employees are commiserating about their experiences at the “frugal” tech giant — with one describing how workers were forced to split bagels at office gatherings due to budget limitations.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/16/ex-amazon-staffers-say-frugal-company-made-them-split-bagels/

On an internal email thread among more than two dozen former Amazon employees who have since left to work at Google, titled “worked_at_amazon,” one posted screenshots obtained by Insider that described an incident in which two Amazon employees were told to split a bagel at a staff meeting. The workers were purportedly told managers didn’t have the budget to order enough bagels for everyone.

...Bagels weren’t the only breakfast item in short supply at Amazon, whose founder, Jeff Bezos, is currently the world’s fourth-richest person, with a net worth of $146 billion, according to Forbes. Two other workers grumbled in the thread that boxes of cereal were removed from Amazon’s office kitchens because they “didn’t represent a frugal mindset,” according to Insider’s report.

The complaints about office snacks were reportedly part of a broader discussion about “frupidity” at Amazon — a combination of “frugality” and “stupidity.” The workers allege that Amazon’s emphasis on frugality in day-to-day operations is overdone.

Ex-Amazon staffers also described difficulty obtaining tech gear and office supplies — with one worker complaining that product managers would have to push back in order to receive an Apple MacBook instead of the Windows laptops provided by default.

Others said they were unable to secure more than a single computer monitor or laptop charger without resorting to creative means of acquiring them, such as befriending employees responsible for office supplies.

Amazon spokesperson Brad Glasser downplayed the ex-employees’ complaints in a statement to The Post.

“Our Leadership Principles describe how Amazon does business, how leaders lead...One of our Leadership Principles is ‘frugality,’” Glasser said in the statement. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, the only thing Rid Snider knows that is up is the ceiling and the sky.  

Galdi had him on his podcast, I think yesterday. How embarrassing…..

I listened to it.  :ols:

I actually like Snider generally, unlike some here, at least with his videos he comes off likeable.  I watch them on occasion.   I got his book about 100 things to see as a Redskins fan, subscribed to Warpath back in the day, etc. 

But IMO he's embarassing himself with the coverage of ownership when he veers into what he's hearing.  Heck I can go on these shows and talk like I have insiders too in the same way he is doing it because all he's doing is repeating the narratives that others have put out while saying that's what hes hearing. 

He's not broken a single new tidbit for any story relating this.  He just basically regurgitates others narratives. 

The reason why conversely I'll defend AJ Perez from the slams here is that unlike Snider, he clearly has sources.  He's broken things first. That's how you can judge.   Among them he was the first to say the Forbes article about the 7 billion offers is BS.  The first on Bezos hasn't bid.   He had a narrative about BOA that was backed by Keim a week later.   He has angles that are different from some others and sticking to them, including that Bezos remains in play when others have suggested he's out.  

Snider IMO is good and entertaining when he talks about his times when he worked for the Washington Times during Snider's last sale, he clearly had sources then, I believe that.  But no chance has has them now, and am surprised he's pretending he does.  

As you pointed out, really all these reporters (even Keim) at best have crumbs because of all the rules prohibiting the partes from talking.  

Meanwhile, most of us are like “Amazon gives their people food?” 🤣

AWS made me an offer last year and asked me whether I wanted a MacBook Pro or a Windows laptop, so I don’t know where people are fighting over what to get. My guess is it’s legacy folks who want new hardware because… reasons? 

Never started the gig because customer issues took too long to settle and they began a hiring freeze.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've said many times probably so that he indeed likely would spend but where I stop is saying yeah 100% there is nothing to worry about.  Some seem to believe they know how Bezos would act like they are long time friends and are vouching for him.  But unlike them I am not friends with him and I haven't had conversations with him about this. :ols:

My point is likely he's not cheap with this team.  I've said a million times I'd love to have him.  But some see me as being too critical when saying there is a small chance that his "frugal" culture motif would have a bearing on the team.   But you got me how others could vouch for him where we know with 100% certainty that the frugal cultiure motif of Amazon wouldn't impinge on this at all. 

It's a variable that isn't a deal breaker for me -- but I am not pretendeing it doesn't exist as a concern.    As far as his personality, I don't think people change, their personalities are static.  But even that's not a deal breaker with me either because I suspect he wouldn't be in the building much anyway. 

So my takes on Bezos is simple.  I'd love to have him.  Every person has red flags, those two variables are his potential red flags to me.  I prefer Harris and Rales.  But Bezos is the close runner up to me.

But the idea that Amazon is known for its frugality and Bezos and some of his managers are known to be often hot tempered and condescending, is all over the place.  A zillion articles about this.

They won't be making a movie anytime soon like they have about how Google for example is a great place to work for about Amazon.:ols:. Now i am willing and i do entertain the idea that all of that is likely out the widow here.  But IMHO its a bit pie in the sky to act like that dynamic doesn't exist in his background.  Everyone of these people have disclaimers.  Some act like that doesn't exclude Bezos but IMO they are wrong -- Bezos certainly has his own disclaimers, too.

Ex-Amazon employees are commiserating about their experiences at the “frugal” tech giant — with one describing how workers were forced to split bagels at office gatherings due to budget limitations.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/16/ex-amazon-staffers-say-frugal-company-made-them-split-bagels/

On an internal email thread among more than two dozen former Amazon employees who have since left to work at Google, titled “worked_at_amazon,” one posted screenshots obtained by Insider that described an incident in which two Amazon employees were told to split a bagel at a staff meeting. The workers were purportedly told managers didn’t have the budget to order enough bagels for everyone.

...Bagels weren’t the only breakfast item in short supply at Amazon, whose founder, Jeff Bezos, is currently the world’s fourth-richest person, with a net worth of $146 billion, according to Forbes. Two other workers grumbled in the thread that boxes of cereal were removed from Amazon’s office kitchens because they “didn’t represent a frugal mindset,” according to Insider’s report.

The complaints about office snacks were reportedly part of a broader discussion about “frupidity” at Amazon — a combination of “frugality” and “stupidity.” The workers allege that Amazon’s emphasis on frugality in day-to-day operations is overdone.

Ex-Amazon staffers also described difficulty obtaining tech gear and office supplies — with one worker complaining that product managers would have to push back in order to receive an Apple MacBook instead of the Windows laptops provided by default.

Others said they were unable to secure more than a single computer monitor or laptop charger without resorting to creative means of acquiring them, such as befriending employees responsible for office supplies.

Amazon spokesperson Brad Glasser downplayed the ex-employees’ complaints in a statement to The Post.

“Our Leadership Principles describe how Amazon does business, how leaders lead...One of our Leadership Principles is ‘frugality,’” Glasser said in the statement. 

While I do not doubt any of this, the only difference is would he see this as a toy/hobby or strictly a business? Let's face it if he sees this as a toy/hobby (I would asssume yes), all business spending habits go away. We all spend money on our toys we would not spend on other things, even neccesities sometimes 🙂  As I said before I really don't care who it is, just get Dan the **** out. I am willing take a chance on them NOT being the same level douchebag of a human he is. 

28 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Some of you have lost your mind if you think that Bezos wouldn't give the franchise the same level of care that the top teams have available to them.

This isn't him opening up another Amazon warehouse, folks.

I agree, Take a look at the Amazon Headquarter building. It is not constructed in a "frugal" manner out of CinderBlock and vinyl siding. Similarly, I think the team would be treated more as a "flagship" out the Bezos empire itself. The facilities would be first class, but possibly minor details being run on a more behind the scenes frugal mindset as in considering  gas vs diesel for team busses and getting the tires on sale. As many have mentioned, owning an NFL team is like a license to print money, so it is not as if it takes a sharp pencil to make things profitable. And I don't think Mr. Bezos would allow the team linked to his name to eat PB&J sandwiches on away games. This isn't his "business," it's his Empire. Big difference there.

60195cb56dfbe10018e013df?width=700

28 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Some of you have lost your mind if you think that Bezos wouldn't give the franchise the same level of care that the top teams have available to them.

This would be “look at me and all my wealth and power and what I can do” move.  

There is a certain amount of ego that goes into wanting to buy a sports franchise.  

Bezos might try and put a freaking stadium on the moon just to show off. 

I don’t really care who buys the team.  All of the groups will have pluses and minuses.  The biggest plus of Bezos is his massive wealth.  And he’s not going to want to be second fiddle to anybody on anything.  

The Harris group’s biggest plus is they are local-ish. And Rales is very popular locally.  

The Canadian guy has a lot of experience with real estate development.  We need a new stadium.  

I don’t care who buys it.  Just somebody other than Dan.  

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

First of all, let me color this with the fact that I won’t be upset if Bezos becomes our new owner.  I’d welcome it with open arms and hope for the absolute best.  I am not really pro any prospective buyer, I’m in the anybody but Dan gang.

But…

The Bezos or nobody crowd is by far more fantasy based.  The narrative that he’d pay whatever it takes to buy this team, dump billions into it to restore a once proud franchise with the best of the best at every level, while not pricing out the common man is 100% pie in the sky fantasy.  That’s fairy tale stuff with absolutely nothing to support it.  It often reads like he’s this huge philanthropist that would only care about appeasing what’s left of this fanbase.  

• Like 2