Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't know anything about Davis but I'll say for starters that him doing this feels like a bit of an odd stunt, and I don't love it as a sign for how he'd run things.  But I'll keep an open mind. 

I don't know. But it would be nice to have an owner that speaks to the media and not just hide in his cave. 

• Like 3

A caller complaining that Davis would be the poorest owner in the NFL as to net worth.

Junkies now defending that having a rich owner doesn't mean squat.

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

I don't know. But it would be nice to have an owner that speaks to the media and not just hide in his cave. 

Davis isn't talking to the media right now.   He leaked the story to the Junkies because as they said that's his show.  Dan leaks stories too.  But again I am not worried about any of these guys going Gretta Garbo like Dan.

From what I can tell none of these guys would hide in their cave, some of them don't like to talk a lot but will talk some.

So that as a variable doesn't move me. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

It was 11 years ago and things certainly change and perhaps lessons were learned but still it happened and at a minimum this would be reason for increased prudence and caution in evaluating The Davis group's alleged 7 billion dollar offer...

Is There Anyone Who's NOT Suing Christian Laettner And Brian Davis?

Published March 9, 2012

Christian Laettner and Brian Davis were excellent college basketball players. But they appear to be terrible businessmen. After winning two national championships at Duke, Laettner and Davis started a real estate company called Blue Devil Ventures. Things went well at first. By 2006, however, Laettner and Davis were in major money trouble. That's when the litigation started, as the Wall Street Journal reports.

First, Scottie Pippen sued Laettner and Davis after a bid by the former Duke players to buy the Memphis Grizzlies imploded because of insufficient funding. Pippen helped finance the bid but never got his money back. A judge ruled last August that Laettner and Davis owed Pippen $2.55 million. Pippen still hasn't gotten his money back.

Laettner and Davis were later sued by Fannie Mae, Chevron Inc., and a Duke law professor for the same reason—failure to repay loans. Laettner and Davis had by then expanded their business to other cities and without their original partner, Tom Niemann, a Duke business school grad who favored a conservative approach. At one point, this clash in philosophy led to a tense lunch meeting that ended, according to the Wall Street Journal, with "Davis lifting the 5-foot-8 Niemann off the ground."

Shawne Merriman was another lender who was never repaid. A federal judge ruled in January that Laettner and Davis had to pay Merriman $3.7 million. All told, Laettner and Davis are now fending off lawsuits seeking repayment of loans worth about $30 million. The saddest of all these might be the one brought by Johnny Dawkins, the former Duke captain. Last year, the judge in that case ordered Laettner, Davis, and a company of theirs to pay Dawkins $671,309.

Laettner and Davis say they don't have the scratch. But they could always borrow money from someone else to cover. Might I suggest Vinny Four Fingers at the clam house?

https://deadspin.com/is-there-anyone-whos-not-suing-christian-laettner-and-b-5891960

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Junkies now defending that having a rich owner doesn't mean squat.

They kind of have a point--the top 10 has owners that have won recent Super Bowls, as well as teams like the Jags, Panthers, Jets, Meanwhile the Eagles are 20th, Ravens and 9ers are 13th and 14th respectively. Snyder is 16th. It matters more, I think, to set up a good organization.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

They kind of have a point--the top 10 has owners that have won recent Super Bowls, as well as teams like the Jags, Panthers, Jets, Meanwhile the Eagles are 20th, Ravens and 9ers are 13th and 14th respectively. Snyder is 16th. It matters more, I think, to set up a good organization.

I get the point, I argued it the other day about Tepper not winning, etc.

My point was the junkies believe his net worth is less than a billion, and if the caller is right that would likely make him the least wealthy owner in the NFL.  I think Brown is the only one with a net worth under 1 billion.

We've heard for years that Mike Brown is the poorest.  And with the reputation of beiing a cheapskate and big time so.  Granted having the worst record in the NFL and getting in turn Joe Burrow is turning that around so money isn't everything.

I am not saying money is everything but its not nothing either. 

Some here think the Harris-Rales commbination of 13 billion is yawn or especially Harris at 6 billion on his own is yawn and a disadvantage.   I think that's taking the point too far.  It's plenty of money.  

I could sort of deal with Frettita but didn't love it that his net worth is if I recall is around 5 billion and no minority partners that i know of. 

But going under 1 billion takes this point up a notch and would put us in an exclusive club of under 1 billion worth owners -- and i believe that would be just us and Cincy.

But the real reason why I posted that is taking a shot at the Junkies about how flippant-superifical they come off about hey this is our guy with really no substance to back their point.  If he's the guy, cool, but give me some meat on the bone. 

14 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

It was 11 years ago and things certainly change and perhaps lessons were learned but still it happened and at a minimum this would be reason for increased prudence and caution in evaluating The Davis group's alleged 7 billion dollar offer...

Yeah I've seen some other stuff on twitter but want to read more on it first.   He's a tough dude to research on first blush because his name is so common.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll add to this that the owners overall wealth is not as important as them having other successful revenue streams to where they don’t need the NFL team to keep the lights on.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But the real reason why I posted that is taking a shot at the Junkies about how flippant-superifical they come off about hey this is our guy with really no substance.  If he's the guy, give me some meat on the bone. 

I am with you on the overall story--something stinks about it. Reminds me of when they "broke" that report about the Wilkinson report. It also smells of a Snyder leak to get bids up.

• Like 2

I am with you on the overall story--something stinks about it. Reminds me of when they "broke" that report about the Wilkinson report. It also smells of a Snyder leak to get bids up.

I've always been a Sheehan > Junkies guy.  I''ll go back and listen to some Junkies segments here and there so i don't dislike them but they aren't my go tos.

I find it odd for starters for them growing up in the DMV during the glory years yet only one of them likes this team. 

70%  or so of their show doesn't even cover sports.

And listening to them cover the ownership stuff, here and there, they put about as much thought into it as a third grader but yet they come off definitive as heck.

They are very emotional dudes.  I recall Rivera used to do weekly appearances on their show, suggested he liked the show and they seem to eat him up.  I don't know what preceded what but Rivera wasn't on their show last year -- and they are brutal on Rivera, act like he's the worst coach in the NFL and a complete moron.

They are cool at times, so again they are fine.  But they IMO can get some really hot takes and seem more emotional than thoughtful about sports -- i think in part because they don't come off as dudes who really love sports.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Once a year after we win the Super Bowl - sure. Apart from that hire a CEO and an GM and enjoy the profits and asset growth from the luxury box.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

@SkinsinparadiseThey're more out of habit for me--they usually have good guests (John Feinstein not included). But yeah, I find some of their show annoying. Their baseball takes are horrible--when they actually acknowledge we actually have a team. The whole station rails on Rivera for some reason--no idea why. I am less and less interested in their show because they talk about gambling about 90% of the time

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Is There Anyone Who's NOT Suing Christian Laettner And Brian Davis?

Published March 9, 2012

Christian Laettner and Brian Davis were excellent college basketball players. But they appear to be terrible businessmen. After winning two national championships at Duke, Laettner and Davis started a real estate company called Blue Devil Ventures. Things went well at first. By 2006, however, Laettner and Davis were in major money trouble. That's when the litigation started, as the Wall Street Journal reports.

First, Scottie Pippen sued Laettner and Davis after a bid by the former Duke players to buy the Memphis Grizzlies imploded because of insufficient funding. Pippen helped finance the bid but never got his money back. A judge ruled last August that Laettner and Davis owed Pippen $2.55 million. Pippen still hasn't gotten his money back.

Laettner and Davis were later sued by Fannie Mae, Chevron Inc., and a Duke law professor for the same reason—failure to repay loans. Laettner and Davis had by then expanded their business to other cities and without their original partner, Tom Niemann, a Duke business school grad who favored a conservative approach. At one point, this clash in philosophy led to a tense lunch meeting that ended, according to the Wall Street Journal, with "Davis lifting the 5-foot-8 Niemann off the ground."

Shawne Merriman was another lender who was never repaid. A federal judge ruled in January that Laettner and Davis had to pay Merriman $3.7 million. All told, Laettner and Davis are now fending off lawsuits seeking repayment of loans worth about $30 million. The saddest of all these might be the one brought by Johnny Dawkins, the former Duke captain. Last year, the judge in that case ordered Laettner, Davis, and a company of theirs to pay Dawkins $671,309.

Laettner and Davis say they don't have the scratch. But they could always borrow money from someone else to cover. Might I suggest Vinny Four Fingers at the clam house?

https://deadspin.com/is-there-anyone-whos-not-suing-christian-laettner-and-b-5891960

That’s enough for me to put this group at the very bottom of my wish list. Although just being dukies was already enough. 🤮🤮 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

There is no way the NFL would approve this group.  That many red flags won't fly.  They know they need to nail this sale and don't want to have to deal with this kind of thing again.  All eyes on a sale to the right person/group.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But the real reason why I posted that is taking a shot at the Junkies about how flippant-superifical they come off about hey this is our guy with really no substance to back their point.  If he's the guy, cool, but give me some meat on the bone. 

Yea, I'm not tied to The Junkies, it's just what I put on the morning behind me while I work because I can't listen to radio.  As a matter of fact, I really can't stand them but in my area, there's not a lot going on until national media kicks on like Get Up which is almost as bad!  LOL

They give a few nuggets every now and then.  Interesting you feel the same about the Ron thing as I do.  Can't stand the bashing that goes on there and it's super hard to listen to when they are supposed to be the local sports guys and only EB is really a semi Commanders fan.

If Commanders start winning, they'll be the ultimate band wagon boys because the listeners really only want to talk Commanders. 

Edited by HigSkin

40 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

The Junks are basically hoping to have an "in" with the new ownership group. They're the ultimately middle-aged frat boys.

Good way to put it. I can't remember the last time I turned into their show and they weren't talking about food, sex, marriage, kids, making fun of Valdez, sex, cars, neighbors, and more sex. It's like Animal House on the radio, but they come off as funny as Animal Farm instead.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Yea, I'm not tied to The Junkies, it's just what I put on the morning behind me while I work because I can't listen to radio.  As a matter of fact, I really can't stand them but in my area, there's not a lot going on until national media kicks on like Get Up which is almost as bad!  LOL

They give a few nuggets every now and then.  Interesting you feel the same about the Ron thing as I do.  Can't stand the bashing that goes on there and it's super hard to listen to when they are supposed to be the local sports guys and only EB is really a semi Commanders fan.

If Commanders start winning, they'll be the ultimate band wagon boys because the listeners really only want to talk Commanders. 

They are entertaining at times.  But I admit I don't love sports hosts who don't love or know much about sports.  Same issue I had with Kornheiser.  It's seems like they are waanabee Entertainment Tonight reporters who know just enough about sports to get by but barely and talk about it a little.

I don't always agree with Sheehan.  but I love that he loves sports and agree or disagree with his opinion, his opinion is usually informed.

I mentioned this before, they seem like they have it out for Harris because Lurch as you mentioned knows an employee there who clearly doesn't like Harris but this morning they took the cake with me on the topic by saying no fans want Harris (lol, that's beyond BS, i was just listening to someone on 980 just a little while ago touting Harris as their choice, as have plenty of others).  Then they said this is the dude that we want as the owner, Brian Davis, while clearly not vetting him at all.   

Finlay has vetted this a little and is poking holes on this whole thing I'll post on that next.

• Like 2

Listening to Finlay and Mitchell.  Both are dubious about Brian Davis.

A.  I guess i missed this point by the Junkes that Davis sent a letter to Dan that he has the money versus BOA?  Finlay finds this odd, you send your bid to the bank versus write a letter to Dan.

B.  Finlay says that the down payment, if I recall 30%?  Can't be a combination of investors so does he have that kind of money?

C. His history of defaulting on payments-fraud would have a good chance to derail this as for fellow owners

Granted both dudes are just absorbing this but at the start of this show they both aren't taking him nearly as serious as the Junkies just did

• Thanks 1