Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

Still not a fan of Bezos as owner.

Absolutely beside myself with optimism at the prospect of Snyder leaving, but not so keen on marrying the richest or loudest megalomaniac that happens to first stroll bye. 

And it certainly does not sit easy with me that Snyder is paramount in the unfolding 'right of successor-(ship)' (for lack of a better term). 

You could mark me down in favor of the Mars family for private ownership.

It would hit a lot of criteria I find pleasing: 1st being family owned and private, company locally head-quartered, more than a century+ of existence, pool of resource money derived from actual product / production, long history of philanthropy and connection to the arts, etc. 

But cursorily looking around, only one random local blog a week ago proposed the idea of the family confectioners and after dissecting the family tree, I fail to see a strong possibility or viability. I don't see how the corporate business itself would be interested, number one, too many commitments beyond their primary focus, in-house, the product. Also too many variables out of their control, league-wide. 

Nor do I otherwise see how the family itself would benefit from such an acquisition, too much public exposure & possible criticism than they would seem to be interested in for whatever return of money that they already don't need more of. 

Simply, the three descendants of Forrest Sr are too old for such a venture, I personally think, and the children of the Big 3 are seemingly involved elsewhere. Few seem to have the background, nor can I find any indication of interests in sports within any of their individual biographies. 

The family tree line is too disparate for there to be a unified group / corporate move, in my opinion. 

Perhaps one of the four daughters of Forrest jr could make a play: Valerie Mars (Fiat); Pamela Mars-Wright (Heineken); or Marijke Mars (Duke). 

I think the only possibility related to the Mars family would be if an individual within the larger nucleus made it their own private venture / asset.

Edited by RemoveSnyder
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

That's why they put together investment groups. That's how Byron Allen, whose net worth is less than a billion, was able to be in the final groups considered for buying the Broncos. 

Wasn't Dan Snyders original share of the group that bought the Redskins like 51%?

I don't believe he sold any interest until 2003 but I could be wrong.  What's interesting is he borrowed 50% of the purchase price to get the deal done.  The same thing would have to happen with these lower tiered billionaires but I don't think they could service $2.5 to $3B in debt.

Groups scare me, its always better to lend to one than multiple owners, IMO.

• Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I don't believe he sold any interest until 2003 but I could be wrong.  What's interesting is he borrowed 50% of the purchase price to get the deal done.  The same thing would have to happen with these lower tiered billionaires but I don't think they could service $2.5 to $3B in debt.

Groups scare me, its always better to lend to one than multiple owners, IMO.

Owners need to put up 30% of the sale price in cash. The rest can be financed.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

If this happens, does it happen in the middle of the season or are there so many logistics (not to mention not wanting to distract from the season itself) involved that it would take place sometime between the super bowl and the draft?

This team wouldn't know how to function without an in season distraction.   Let the next guy make that normal...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Oh ****. I just had a horrible thought...

In our exuberance in finally being rid of Snyder, we may have over looked a serious unintended consequence...

What's going to happen with Harvest fest?

It’s going to happen. In outer space. 

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I really want to hear all the dirt about Snyder once this is all said and done. I feel like we don't even know half the stuff he's done due to all the NDs he makes everyone sign if they so much as breathe the same air as him. 

I bet it's horrific.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

I'm just imagining Jeff Bezos as an owner...with **** you money and a successful company that knows organization/management/logistics....it feels like Christmas.

An ownership team with forward thinking ideas, and willing to invest heavily in coaches, scouting department, training staff, medical staff, facilities, the gameday experience for fans, no PSLs since they can build a state of the art stadium with cash, and the media not having a clear bias against us anymore. After 30 years of ****, I can't help but be excited.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I'm just imagining Jeff Bezos as an owner...with **** you money and a successful company that knows organization/management/logistics....it feels like Christmas.

An ownership team with forward thinking ideas, and willing to invest heavily in coaches, scouting department, training staff, medical staff, facilities, the gameday experience for fans, no PSLs since they can build a state of the art stadium with cash, and the media not having a clear bias against us anymore. After 30 years of ****, I can't help but be excited.

You can bet the WaPo will change its tone if Bezos buys the whole enchilada.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

You can bet the WaPo will change its tone if Bezos buys the whole enchilada.

Yeah, dude owns WaPo so nobody can exactly call it no media bias when its actually gonna swing bias in the oppo direction.

It would be a nice change of pace tho, getting buried under puff pieces.

A year ago I was kinda worried about somebody that rich owning a team since we would not serve the same level of import as someone who's main moneybag is their team, but now I'll take it and be happy not to worry about money issues.

• Like 1

Maybe Dan Snyder can take a hint after all.

But there’s no pity allowed for the embattled Washington Commanders owner seemingly on the verge of being forced out of the richest sports league in history.

Snyder might be the despised one who leaves in disgrace but sells his NFL franchise for a record money grab.

Of course, that’s not exactly justice. But if the Denver Broncos could fetch $4.65 billion earlier this year in the sale to Walmart heir Rob Walton & Co., what does that make the Commanders worth?

Let the floor for the bidding start at $5 billion, with $6 billion not out of the question.

One thing seems certain: If Snyder is indeed intent in cashing in his chips, the sale of the once-signature franchise in the nation’s capital – which sold for $750 million to Snyder and partners in 1999 – will shatter the record that was just established in August by the Broncos.

“I would wager any amount on that,” an NFL owner, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told USA TODAY Sports. The owner did not want to be identified because he is not privy to details regarding the possibility that Snyder is selling out.

“It’s Washington D.C.,” he added. “That has a unique appeal. It’s special.”

In other words, step right up, Jeff Bezos and Jay-Z. The Washington Post reported Thursday that Bezos, who founded Amazon (and also owns The Post), and Shawn Carter, the entertainment mogul known as Jay-Z, are interested in exploring a potential purchase of the Commanders.

No doubt, other bidders in recent sales of other teams could emerge as prospects.

Snyder announced Wednesday that he has enlisted Bank of America Securities to consider potential transactions, but fueled intrigue in that he did not declare that he is fully selling the franchise – leaving open the possibility he is seeking partners to invest in minority stakes for the team.

It seems unlikely, though, that a major securities firm would be retained for selling minority shares.

No, this seems more like the beginning of the glorious end game that frustrated followers of the franchise have been waiting for, and a long time coming.

Snyder, the subject of ongoing investigations by the NFL and a Congressional oversight committee relating to a toxic workplace culture that includes allegations of sexual harassment, has previously contended that he wouldn’t sell the franchise. In a recent ESPN.com report, it was maintained that Snyder has collected “dirt” on the NFL and other owners that presumably would deter the league from pursuing the drastic measure of voting him out.

Then again, this is the same Snyder who for many years was defiant in maintaining he would not drop the racially offensive team name – “NEVER, you can use caps,” he once declared to USA TODAY Sports’ Erik Brady – but relented in 2021 amid pressure from sponsors.

“Maybe somebody will make him an offer that he can’t refuse,” sports consultant Marc Ganis told USA TODAY Sports.

The decision to sell could hinge largely on the fizzled efforts for a new stadium. Lawmakers in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia apparently won’t entertain the prospect of pushing for public money as long as Snyder controls the team. A new owner, though, could revive the once-robust revenue streams for the team that would be generated by a new stadium – especially if it were privately financed.

The franchise’s value also would be bolstered by its presence in the nation’s capital, with access to the hub of political power – and the many corporate entities located in the region for political access.

Of course, the NFL itself is the biggest reason to buy in. The league has long-term media contracts through 2033 that total about $110 billion, with five broadcast partners – providing live content like no other entity. Also, labor peace is secured with the NFL Players Association with a collective bargaining agreement through 2030.

Such stability has to be inviting to the potential suitors who can afford it.

According to Forbes, the average NFL franchise is valued at $4.47 billion, topped by the $8 billion valuation for the Dallas Cowboys. Washington ranks sixth for value at $5.6 billion.

More context comes with recent sales. David Tepper purchased the Carolina Panthers in 2018 for $2.28 billion. Now the team is valued at $4 billion. Terry and Kim Pegula paid $1.4 billion for the Buffalo Bills in 2014. Now, with a public-financed stadium in the works, the franchise is valued at $3 billion.

These rising franchise values are key reasons NFL owners are willing to give up nearly half (48.5%) of the year-to-year revenues to players, as late union leader Gene Upshaw used to remind us.

“The average value of an NFL franchise has doubled over the last seven or eight years,” said Ganis, president of Sportscorp, Ltd. “Now look at the NFL’s trajectory over the next seven to 10 years.”

That’s a great selling point. But if Snyder, who bought out his minority partners in 2021 to secure 100% of the franchise, is looking for new investment partners while hanging onto the franchise, it would be a tough sell at such mega-dollars.

Unless, of course, the deal is similar to the one that Steve Bisciotti struck years ago with the cash-strapped, then-Baltimore Ravens owner Art Modell … and included an eventual path to full ownership.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Daniel Snyder is trapped — and now Washington fans can dare to dream

The news, though vague and subject to change, arrived Wednesday like a heavenly declaration. Daniel Snyder, the billionaire who has overseen the thorough ruination of a prime NFL franchise, is open to selling the Washington Commanders. Perhaps the team can huddle at the end of practice and break with shouts of “Hallelujah!”

Too soon? Yes, for sure. But on this day, that dream didn’t seem so distant.

If the announcement that Snyder hired an investment bank to “consider potential transactions” didn’t yet feel as if their prayers had been answered, long-suffering fans at least can sense that their boos have been heard. The impact of numerous investigations of the alleged misdeeds of the owner and his organization has been felt.

In recent weeks, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay applied pressure and contended “there’s merit to remove” Snyder for creating a toxic workplace culture, which included a disturbing history of misogyny that led to many forms of abusive behavior toward women. Now Snyder, who has tarnished the reputation of a franchise still considered among the NFL’s most valuable, is “exploring all options,” according to a team spokesperson.

It doesn’t mean Snyder is certain to sell the team. He could be attempting to strengthen his financial position as he continues the endless pursuit of a new stadium, and the cleanest way to do so would be to seek new minority investors. But last year, Snyder bought out three limited partners for $875 million after a contentious process, and it would be an embarrassingly imprudent decision for any businessperson to partner with Snyder.

It makes no sense morally; joining forces with an NFL pariah invites incomprehensible scrutiny and guilt by association. It’s questionable financially, too; the price tag would be exorbitant for such a small percentage of a team in which the investor would have little say. And there’s still the probe of financial improprieties that Congress first flagged in March, raising further questions about Snyder’s integrity

In August, Forbes estimated the Commanders to be worth $5.6 billion. If so, raw math says a 10 percent stake should cost $560 million. But the negotiation is tricky because the true value of owning a small part of a sports team is never a straightforward discussion. Who wants to approach $1 billion for a piece of the Snyder headache?

Surely, Snyder doesn’t want to sell the Commanders. But he and his wife, Tanya, are making a shrewd decision to look around. In a just sports world, he wouldn’t have any luxurious options to explore. He already would have faced accountability so stiff that he wouldn’t have a team. But that’s not how this game works. Facing problems he caused from all directions, Snyder has the chance to escape on a golden parachute. He doesn’t deserve one, but the people who still love this franchise and remember what it can be deserve freedom. Closure could be on its way — finally.

For a change, there could be alignment for Snyder and a fan base that has turned against him. There could be hope for a resolution that doesn’t involve years of litigation and an all-out war between Snyder and the rest of the NFL team owners. But such a scenario requires a motivated ownership group that probably would have to pay a preposterous, record-shattering price.

Rob Walton and his group bought the Denver Broncos for $4.65 billion in June, establishing the new largest sale price. Forbes ranked Denver the 12th-most-valuable NFL team. The Commanders were sixth, and in Snyder’s case, we are talking about an obstinate owner being forced to consider something he would rather not do. Any offers could start at the $5.6 billion estimate, but they’re not likely to end there. It would have to be the sweetest deal to entice Snyder.

He is 57, a teenager compared with most NFL owners. He was 34 when he bought the team in 1999, fulfilling a childhood dream. With good health and the dexterity to keep fending off his troubles, Snyder easily could run the franchise for another quarter century. He paid $800 million for a team valued at seven times that now, but despite making so much money off such bad football, the multiplier must keep humming to pacify the lack of an emotional return on investment.

Snyder has made himself a villain through his actions. After 23 years, there is nothing he can do to change that. During a Week 7 game against the Green Bay Packers at FedEx Field, the crowd — members of which chanted “Sell the team!” that afternoon — booed Tanya Snyder when she appeared in a video about breast cancer awareness. Such moments must sting the most. Tanya is a breast cancer survivor, but in that moment, she symbolized nothing more than an awful reign that will not end. There is no compassion, no understanding at this point in the relationship. There is no respect, either. There is only desperation.

Wednesday provided an indicator that the desperate feeling is mutual. For more than two decades, Snyder often has operated as if he could do this forever, impervious to criticism and focused solely on his own happiness. But what happens when the privilege of not having to answer to anyone starts to evaporate?

Snyder has few allies not on his payroll and an overflowing list of people who can detail why being associated with him isn’t worth it. His adversaries aren’t just the exasperated fans he can’t win over. They are in the government. They are women and former employees who refuse to stay silent. They are lawyers, and they are civic leaders who mock his driftless efforts to persuade multiple municipalities to engage in a bidding war for a new stadium. And now, with Irsay as the face of the disapproval, it appears NFL owners may be willing to abandon one of their own.

Snyder didn’t just wake up and decide to be transparent. He didn’t want us all to know that he’s considering “potential transactions,” but he needed the wealthiest of the wealthy to know that, with all the heat he’s feeling, he’s up for a game of “Offer Me Something Ridiculous.”

He needs options. He needs out of the corner he finds himself trapped in. He needs a path to a win — or at least justification of an otherwise forced exit.

It’s premature for fans to rejoice because a fickle owner announced a process that could be long and tenuous, but it was a big day nonetheless. Snyder doesn’t seem so defiant anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/03/dan-snyder-selling-commanders-hope/

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I'm so ready for Zaddy Warbucks to "Take Command" of this franchise (first time I've used that phrase lol)

A side order of Jay-Z n Beyonce is just an insane level of bonus.

This is too good to be true. Surely I died and went to heaven. I need somebody to pinch me, I need to check if I am dead on my feet. (ZOMBIE PUN!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I fully expect bezos to be owner by years end 

I do as well, I will be amazed if Bezos dwells too long on this one. Snyder gets an offer he simply can’t refuse (even though Bezos is one on the last people on earth he’d want to deal with).

The league will also want the organisation well and truly back on the map before the next league year. Time is money.

• Like 1