Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

17 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Jesus xmas how long is the search going to go. This feels like one of the least desirable jobs out there, given the Payton rumors, the new ownership, no one with a decent track record wants to touch this job with a flag pole even with decent weapons at WR and RB. I feel like Riverboat Ron is gonna have to get someone unproven, little to no attachments but eager to get something on the resume even if this a 1 and done gig..

Not to be smart but as I heard someone say as long as RR and Co. want it to go on.  

The ravens offense has done nothing to impress under Roman, so I want no part of this one. Give me the guys who comes from an excellent offense in EB… I know there are rumors about him and that’s why he still hasn’t landed a head coaching gig, but I’ll gladly take that shot with this upside potential. 

• Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Bieniemy would be the ideal and best choice, but I think Rivera would be more comfortable with a guy like Roman.  

Roman has called plays for multiple teams and adjusted to the players around him. He's never had a great passer or good receivers -- I know the Ravens soured on him, but he did a lot of good there too.  

Eric B has never called plays -- except when he was at Colorado, which was by all accounts a disaster. Plus, the fact that only one other team is interested him -- as a OC, not a HC -- is more than a bit concerning.

All that said, maybe we come up on the right side of a bet once.

I just don't see why folks think Eric B is some slam dunk hire. It would be a big risk. 

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

The ravens offense has done nothing to impress under Roman, so I want no part of this one. Give me the guys who comes from an excellent offense in EB… I know there are rumors about him and that’s why he still hasn’t landed a head coaching gig, but I’ll gladly take that shot with this upside potential. 

The Ravens were truly dominant at times under Roman. 

Other times, not so much. 

They also have not one receiver worth a damn.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I just don't see why folks think Eric B is some slam dunk hire. It would be a big risk. 

Summed that up very well. Add on the bad websites in his search history and his apparent inability to interview and you get a pretty cumulative assessment.

That being said, E-Beezy is far from my first choice from the list of guys we are looking at but I'd still want him over Zamp.

That is the bullet I would feel great relief in dodging.

Edited by FootballZombie

3 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Eric B has never called plays -- except when he was at Colorado, which was by all accounts a disaster. Plus, the fact that only one other team is interested him -- as a OC, not a HC -- is more than a bit concerning.

All that said, maybe we come up on the right side of a bet once.

Except he was calling plays last night and Reid even said down the stretch Eric B. was the reason for the win. 

Patrick Mahomes credits Eric Bieniemy for Super Bowl play of the game

The play of the game in Kansas City’s 38-35 Super Bowl win over the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday night at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona?

How about the Mahomes scramble? Or the Nick Bolton scoop and score? One of the two second-half touchdown passes?

Nope.

It was a 9-yard rush from Kansas City running back Jerrick McKinnon.

“It was a smart decision on him,” Kansas City quarterback Patrick Mahomes said. “And in that big of a moment, you just want to run in and score the touchdown. We work on that stuff every single week to prepare ourselves for those moments.”

“I want to give the credit to Eric Bieniemy,” Mahomes said, “because even though sometimes we get tired of them talking about those moments, they always seem to happen in the biggest games. And he makes sure we go through the details about them every single week.”

Andy Reid: "Eric Bieniemy has been tremendous for us and I think tremendous for the National Football League,'' Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. "I'm hoping he has an opportunity to go somewhere and do his thing where he can run the show and be Eric Bieniemy.''

The Chiefs fooled the Eagles at times in their 24-point second half. One example is the 6-yard touchdown pass from Patrick Mahomes to Kadarius Toney early in the fourth quarter that put the Chiefs ahead for the first time in the game. Toney lined up as wide receiver to the right and started in motion to his left. Cornerback Darius Slay was initially in coverage on Toney but left him when the receiver went in motion to the left, apparently thinking Toney was headed to the other side of the formation.

But the jet sweep motion wasn't real. At the snap Toney abruptly changed direction and was uncovered to catch the pass.

"We saw something a little different on tape and we knew we could take advantage of what they weren't doing,'' Bieniemy said. "Kadarius did a hell of a job of finding a way to get himself open.

"We weren't executing the way we needed to and what happened is our guys knew we played for 30 minutes and lulled ourselves to sleep [in a sluggish first half]. This is a team that we can't relax against, because at that particular time our defense was struggling. We had to help our defense. Our goal was to find a way to get seven points every time we stepped on that field. Our guys did a hell of a job adjusting, our guys just playing through the lows and hanging together.''

With all that, sure it might be a gamble, but he may be more energized to be able to have his own offense for the whole game and not just for a stretch. 

16 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Doug Pederson was the OC under Andy Reid. He seems to have done just fine since he since he left KC.

Why do people just assume that with EB it was all Reid but don’t look at the most recent example? 

Doug P called plays in DC. It was a big deal. 

Matt Nagy on the other hand.

OMG.  Let me get this right.

Arguments against Eric Bieniemy as an OC

"Can't get a HC job"

"Players don't like him"

"KC doesn't reference his coaching"

"Players say they like him, must be trying to get rid of him"

"KC references his coaching too much, must be trying to get rid of him"

"He wouldn't come here"

"Why would he come here?"

Animated GIF

:229:The Rook

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I’m not sure how many think Bienemy would be a slam dunk. I think he’s a fit for us given his wants and ours. 

And coming from KC is nice.

But he is absolutely a risk.

Beggars can’t be choosy. 

That's how I see it.   ANY of these offensive coordinators who haven't run an offense on their own for the most part (or in his case not in a long time), presents a risk.  

But what the heck considering he comes from one of the most inventive offenses in the league?    And its not like he never calls plays.  And he's involved with game planning. 

For me, I am more than cool with rolling the dice on him.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Sheehan said Greg Roman got 3.5 million a year with the Ravens, wow.  He wonders if this team would pay something like that.  But if I recall he has one year left on that contract so if I recall you don't have to pay him at least for year 1, that the other contract still applies.

Sheehan also wonders what they'd offer Bieniemy.  I gather the Ravens could outbid us -- if they are paying Roman 3.5 million, they are clearly willing to pay up for an assistant coach.  Dan in recent years hasn't been known as a dude who will pay the highest bid for an assistant coach.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Monday brought word that the Commanders want to interview Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy for the same role on Ron Rivera’s staff and there’s been chatter about other teams having interest in a similar move, so it was no surprise that Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was asked about Bieniemy’s future at a Monday press conference.

Reid’s answer was similar to ones he has given in the past about his longtime assistant. Reid said that he hopes Bieniemy gets a chance to be a head coach in the NFL.

“Eric Bieniemy has been tremendous for us and I think he’s tremendous for the National Football League,” Reid said, via Tod Palmer of KSHB. “I’m hoping he has an opportunity to go somewhere and do his thing, where he can run the show and be Eric Bieniemy.”

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan also wonders what they'd offer Bieniemy.  I gather the Ravens could outbid us -- if they are paying Roman 3.5 million, they are clearly willing to pay up for an assistant coach.  Dan in recent years hasn't been known as a dude who will pay the highest bid for an assistant coach.

That's why Zamp is always going to be in the conversation...cheap cheap

Next up, they will be dusting off Rich Kotite

Jordan Ta'amu the Defenders QB on The Junkies who used to be on the KC roster said about EB -

• Said he was great
  • He would call the plays they had on script for that week
  • Reid could trump if he saw something he wanted
  • On installs it was usually Reid showing them the plays and quizzing guys on their understanding, teaching
  • EB has a different way of calling plays by calling the play first then the formation which is opposite of what's normally done
  • He does that to make it easier to process the play faster

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

39 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Jordan Ta'amu the Defenders QB on The Junkies who used to be on the KC roster said about EB -

• EB has a different way of calling plays by calling the play first then the formation which is opposite of what's normally done
  • He does that to make it easier to process the play faster

That is fascinating.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’m not sure how many think Bienemy would be a slam dunk. I think he’s a fit for us given his wants and ours. 

And coming from KC is nice.

But he is absolutely a risk.

Beggars can’t be choosy. 

Summed up better. It's the year to take a chance. Everything next year is up in the air at this moment.  

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW - EB said (paraphrasing) on The Junkies this morning that Roman wasn't sure whether he wanted to coach this year and take some time to think about it.

Red flag to me. Rather have someone who is hungry and doesnt have to "think about" whether he wants to do the job or not.

• Like 1

How about a red flag on EB for publicly commenting about the motives of another person who could be competing for same position that EB's interviewing?

If true, that's kind of a low-class tactic, and maybe even a bit revealing about EBs character and/or how he handles things with the media.

Edited by Wyvern

11 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

How about a red flag on EB for publicly commenting about the motives of another person who could be competing for same position that EB's interviewing .

If true, that's kind of a low-class tactic, and maybe even a bit revealing about EBs character and/or how he handles things with the media.

It’s confusing but that’s referring to “EB” the radio personality, not Bienemy himself lol

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Athletic

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 7.19.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 7.20.14 PM.png

This answers my post yesterday about the wide open WR's going in motion and doing a u-turn after Eagles set the D. I thought those were key plays as stated.  I said maybe Reid needed to give credit instead of the getting rid of Bien takes?  More the reason to take a shot if you can sign him.

1 minute ago, tmandoug1 said:

Why would EB leave KC for another OC job on an unproven team in the first place? Didn't read all posts on him....but wouldn't that be stupid?

Your question has been answered a hundred times in this thread, it’s a constant topic in here. I’d just read a few pages to see all the various points of view and arguments. 

• Like 1