Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (New) Offensive Line Thread

method man

Looking at the Free Agent Tackles next year and it looks bleak.:unsure:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tackle//

BTW, when are people going to stop talking about Trent leaving as Ron's "fault"?  There wasn't a snowball's chance in hell that he was going to play for Commander Dan any more or that Commander Dan wanted to resolve the friction.  He has made plenty of mistakes on the Oline, but Trent and Brandon leaving were beyond him.

:229:The Rook

Edited by The Rook
  • Thumb up 3

34 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Looking at the Free Agent Tackles next year and it looks bleak.:unsure:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tackle//

BTW, when are people going to stop talking about Trent leaving as Ron's "fault"?  There wasn't a snowball's chance in hell that he was going to play for Commander Dan any more or that Commander Dan wanted to resolve the friction.  He has made plenty of mistakes on the Oline, but Trent and Brandon leaving were beyond him.

:229:The Rook

That's bad news.  Because Ron and his FO can't draft a good tackle to save their collective butts.  It'll just be more wasted years if these guys somehow miraculously survive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Redwards said:

That's bad news.  Because Ron and his FO can't draft a good tackle to save their collective butts.  It'll just be more wasted years if these guys somehow miraculously survive. 

Don’t worry, they won’t.  Unless this team somehow rips off a miraculous run to the playoffs, they’re out of here.  Thankfully we’ll have a smart, forward thinking FO making decisions on how to improve the OL.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 1:46 PM, NewCliche21 said:

Inversely frustrating because Detroit doesn't look like they've lost a beat without him.

Competence must be nice!

Imagine trading away Swift and Hockensen and having a better offense. Those 2 are better than anybody this team has had in years and their offense is elite with Goff of all QBs. 

Or imagine if RR had made those trades for those 2 players instead of doing absolutely nothing with this years draft picks. We'd still have a garbage OL though, lol. 

7 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Imagine trading away Swift and Hockensen and having a better offense. Those 2 are better than anybody this team has had in years and their offense is elite with Goff of all QBs. 

Don't forget trading away Stafford for Goff, 2 1st and  3rd round picks. Bold moves from a well run organization with a vision to improve the team as a whole.

Edited by DWinzit

Well, this game puts a check mark on the side of “EB can help mitigate the weakness of the OL” argument, even as last week looked like a mark to the other side of the argument.  Gonna be interesting to see the 3 parts as they grow together (if they do) - EB, Howell and the OL.  I will say that I thought we got pretty lucky with the numerous penalties on the Eagles D that extended drives… this game could have been ugly otherwise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

Well, this game puts a check mark on the side of “EB can help mitigate the weakness of the OL” argument, even as last week looked like a mark to the other side of the argument.  Gonna be interesting to see the 3 parts as they grow together (if they do) - EB, Howell and the OL.  I will say that I thought we got pretty lucky with the numerous penalties on the Eagles D that extended drives… this game could have been ugly otherwise.

Without those penalties the defenseay have failed to stop us and we'd have extended those drives ourselves

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

Without those penalties the defenseay have failed to stop us and we'd have extended those drives ourselves

I thought there were a few plays our guys wouldn’t have caught the pass even if there wasn’t (a small amount of) interference/holding, but maybe you’re right.  

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I thought there were a few plays our guys wouldn’t have caught the pass even if there wasn’t (a small amount of) interference/holding, but maybe you’re right.  

well at least one was defensive holding and in that case you have to figure without that the receiver would literally be in a different place on the field

30 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I saw this today and it reminded me of this thread.

image.thumb.png.263bc460c6765ea8d86cf15254123847.png

I should heed this advice.  Sadly I’m too stupid to do so. 

I get the vibe that you aren’t aware that you’re one of the 1/4 > 1/3 people in this scenario. The OL is bad and was obviously going to be bad. And that is playing out, even though we can mitigate it at times.

I can’t even describe your take that Howell would have had just as bad a game against the Bills behind the Eagles OL as a “hipster” take. It’s just bad.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Cosmi is the best part of this OL. I'd argue he should still be the RT given who is currently there, but...

I'd leave Cosmi at Guard because he's a better guard than he is a tackle.

For now, I'd try Lucas at RT.  He is capable.  

I'd also try either Stromboli or Chris Paul at LG.  People keep telling me Charles isn't a big issue either.  But maybe Stromboli or Paul can get more push?  I dunno.  

Gates gets a lot of hate, but from what I've seen, he's been better than ok, so I wouldn't mess with that for the moment.

I don't think there's anything you can do about Leno.  He's there and that's kindof that.  

Good for Cosmi.

Unlike some of the other question marks on the O-line we have actually seen that Cosmi was capable of great play, it was more a matter of if he can remain healthy.

We have had a couple of scares, but so far so good w/ him. As long as he stays in good health I have faith that we will continue to get great returns.

• Like 1

The team has no OL coach, despite Matsko making a recommendation prior to hitting the door (it wasn't an endorsement of Wharton, either). But of course RR knows best. If we can attribute the remarkable regression of our DBs to the loss of CH, then we can also say that the lack of a quality OL coach - coupled with RR's roster moves -  is killing the OL.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

And a bunch of yous donkeys wanted to cut him this year. 

To be fair, I wanted to cut him if we drafted a LT and didn’t sign Wylie. Once those two things happened we had to keep Leno… he is by far our second best OL. 

it’s Cosmi,Leno……………..Charles……Gates……………………………

Wylie

• Like 2