Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (New) Offensive Line Thread

method man

As someone who is not a draft nut like many of or faithful here, 2023 was the least enthused I’ve been for a draft class in quite some time.  Not even so much the players, but the positions and where they were drafted.  Nothing I’ve seen to this point early in the season has swayed me on that.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

L

Everyone should look at the OLs of the guys on that list and compare it to ours (ours is better or fairly equivalent to all those except Atlanta's and Cleveland's). Scheme and Howell holding the ball are definitely issues based on that basis.

• Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, method man said:

Everyone should look at the OLs of the guys on that list and compare it to ours (ours is better or fairly equivalent to all those except Atlanta's and Cleveland's). Scheme and Howell holding the ball are definitely issues based on that basis.

Ours is theoretically better

• We wrote last week about how the Eagles’ pass offense looks a little wonky and how the defense needs some work at linebacker and safety, positions where they lost vets in the offseason.

Yet, the Eagles are 3–0.

Yet, the Eagles outgained the Bucs 472–174 in Tampa Bay on Monday.

Yet, Philadelphia has spent one possession (and 7:55) playing from behind through three games.

So how do you match a team that hasn’t always looked quite right this year with that sort of game control and statistical dominance? It’s really easy. And a great lesson in where Philly is most invested and why it has invested there

Nick Sirianni’s team is in position to work out its issues on the fly, simply put, because its ability to control the line of scrimmage across the board is second to none. If you’re as good as the Eagles are on the lines, you’re gonna be in every game and you’re probably going to win most. It allows you to control the clock and the pace of the game on offense, and take the other team off its game while on defense. Plus game whatever problems you have elsewhere.

So here, according to Spotrac’s number, is the team’s overall cap investment in its offensive and defensive lines: $82.73 million (if you add Haason Reddick, a line-of-scrimmage player classified as a linebacker, the number jumps to $89.94 million). That’s 36% of the salary cap, and it’s a number that’s kept lower with Cam Jurgens, Landon Dickerson, Tyler Steen, Jalen Carter and Jordan Davis still on rookie contracts.

The Eagles are one of just four teams that are top 10 in the NFL in both offensive and defensive line cap spending, joined by only the Bengals, Falcons and Colts. And in both position groups, they have a pair of 10-year vets to bring the younger guys along (Jason Kelce and Lane Johnson on offense, Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham on defense).

We talk a lot, really all year, about blueprints for building teams. More should take a page from the one that Howie Roseman and the Eagles have drawn up.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/09/26/joe-burrow-bengals-injury-rams-win-stroud-texans

• Thumb up 2

36 minutes ago, method man said:

Yep. Goes to the point others have made that a lot of our fans don’t realize how bad OL talent is around the league

As for who realizes what I got no idea.

But what's your main point in the context of Ron?  Are you closer to any of these points?

A.  He's done the best he could

B.  He's done a poor job building the unit 

C.  Other teams have struggled too, Ron is undergoing a Hercluean task that others fail at too aso he deserves some slack

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for who realizes what I got no idea.

But what's your main point in the context of Ron?  Are you closer to any of these points?

A.  He's done the best he could

B.  He's done a poor job building the unit 

C.  Other teams have struggled too, Ron is undergoing a Hercluean task that others fail at too aso he deserves some slack

My point was overall a macro point about the league as a whole. It amazes me just how bad some OLs are in terms of talent these days.

My take is that building a quality interior is not particularly difficult but tackle has generally been tough for teams to fill.

The issue with Ron in regards to the OL is that he actually inherited a good one and blew it up. And on top of that, he had opportunities to draft quality players in the last three drafts at those spots but didn't(Darrisaw over Davis in 2021, Linderbaum over Dotson in 2022, JMS or Mauch over Martin in the 2nd round of 2023).

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The issue with Ron in regards to the OL is that he actually inherited a good one and blew it up. And on top of that, he had opportunities to draft quality players in the last three drafts at those spots but didn't(Darrisaw over Davis in 2021, Linderbaum over Dotson in 2022, JMS or Mauch over Martin in the 2nd round of 2023).

Absolute travesty Moses and Williams aren’t manning the tackle spots. Moses would be on his way to getting his name in the stadium (Williams is a lock, right?). 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, method man said:

My point was overall a macro point about the league as a whole. It amazes me just how bad some OLs are in terms of talent these days.

My take is that building a quality interior is not particularly difficult but tackle has generally been tough for teams to fill.

Agree that its easier to build the interior.

Trading Trent.  Letting Moses go.  Skipping Darrisaw for Jamin Davis.  Skipping Andrew Thomas for Chase Young.

I supported some of those decisions at the time, especially Chase.  But i am not paid to make decisions, Ron is.  His moves at tackle haven't aged well.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

On 9/25/2023 at 3:25 PM, method man said:

The Titans, Giants, Browns, Falcons, Saints and Texans all have better lines than we do. 

I’ll give you the Bears.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree that its easier to build the interior.

Trading Trent.  Letting Moses go.  Skipping Darrisaw for Jamin Davis.  Skipping Andrew Thomas for Chase Young.

I supported some of those decisions at the time, especially Chase.  But i am not paid to make decisions, Ron is.  His moves at tackle haven't aged well.

When it comes to Ron, I agree with you on his screw ups at tackle. There weren’t many moves he could make this offseason but that was a bed of his own making from his failures in 2020-2022

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

The Titans, Giants, Browns, Falcons, Saints and Texans all have better lines than we do. 

I’ll give you the Bears.

Browns and Falcons are definitely better. Saints probably too due to the right side of their line. Titans (it is Skoronski and 4 bums), Giants (Thomas and 4 bums), Bears and Texans (been wo Tytus Howard so far) lines are comparable.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Eagles are fools for stressing the O line -- ditto Joe Gibbs who stressed the spot too even during his 2nd stint among others.

The way to do it is Rivera style -- don't throw resources at it with the high watermark goal of mediocrity at that spot.

Also the fruits of having a supreme dual threat QB. 

Not taking away from your point the Eagles have a better Oline and have dedicated more resources to it than your Washington Commanders. 

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Eagles are fools for stressing the O line -- ditto Joe Gibbs who stressed the spot too even during his 2nd stint among others.

The way to do it is Rivera style -- don't throw resources at it with the high watermark goal of mediocrity at that spot.

Doesn't hurt that they traded a bag of Doritos for Swift, either.