Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (New) Offensive Line Thread

method man

(There was an offensive line thread that I dig up from 2018 that is now archived. Time to restart it)

I start this thread by saying it is an absolute shame just how bad this offensive line is. I have been a fan of this team since 99 (yes, year 1 of Danny’s hell) and this is the worst offensive line I remember, even the Jay years when they would have to go sign a million guards due to injuries. This offensive line is the worst in the division and the worst that had been in this division since the Giants OL with Will Hernandez and other scrubs a few years ago.

This is the first time I remember in my fandom that they have zero studs on the OL. Through my fan tenure, we have had Samuels, Trent and Scherff. Our best players on the OL (Leno and Roullier) are average at his position and everyone else is below average. I was hopeful that despite the lack of high end talent, we would have depth but that hasn’t played out either as Charles, who was Burrow’s LT at LSU and was seen as a 2nd round prospect in terms of talent, is one of the 3 or 4 most disappointing draft picks of the Ron era.

Nevertheless, changes must be made to get this OL functional. One piece of good news is that Larsen should be back next week. Yes he is coming off Achilles issues but he looked competent at center last year when he got to play. They already made one change, which was sitting Turner. Whenever he returns, that spot is Schweitzer’s.

In the meantime, they need to move Cosmi inside to guard and start Lucas. Cosmi at guard is this line’s one chance to potentially have an elite player at a position. Cosmi has struggled this year at RT - he has elite athleticism but he has shorter arms for a tackle and technique issues that place a ceiling on his upside. He however seems to have the nasty demeanor with the high end athleticism and strength to potentially be a Pro Bowler type at guard. As we all know, one thing Lucas can do with those long arms of his is keep our QBs safe

This would mean no depth at tackle behind these two. Nevertheless, the season will be lost anyway if they can’t find a way to win and Mayhew must do his part to scour other teams’s practice squads and free agency to find someone competent to back these guys up. 

Eric Fisher would be a starter here but they can’t afford him unless Wentz can convince him to come here. That means signing a David Sharpe (who is on a PS now), Ty Nsekhe or someone of that ilk

It also means that this offseason, finding a legit starter at RT becomes a major priority even if it means overpaying for a good player in FA. If you can find a Norwell or Roullier replacement in the draft, those are moves you should do

Bottom line is risks must be taken this season and shuffling must be done

• Like 4

Stunts, blitzes, Oline falls apart. As I have been saying many times before the season started. We have a QB who only makes it worst and does not feel or move the right way most of the time. Heinicke took the blame and the Oline got put on a pedestal by most here because of numbers from so called experts.   QB"s gets killed behind these lines we have had.  Wentz could be the next QB to be lost for the season or career like the others.  Heinicke would have not taken 9 sacks because he is mobile, but he is what he is, a good back up. Oline has to Pass and Run block not just the latter.  With no adjustments to make the line better this off-season, Ron, coaches and top brass need to start looking over their shoulders. Time is running out and it will not be long before they are replaced or continue the same path as others before them and have no support from the fans.  

1 minute ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

How much can really improve the line during the season?

Not so much given how in flux they are.  The guys they got in FA just aren't good enough and the depth behind them aren't good either.  Add to that, they've lost their starting Center and the backup still isn't healthy either.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

How much can really improve the line during the season?

It is a talent issue more than anything and, to your point, it is very difficult to pick up talent during the season. That being said, there are proven veterans who performed well out there in FA in Eric Fisher and Darryl Williams. The issue is we don't have the cap room to afford either without restructuring folks currently on the the team and, if SIP is right that there is a strict cash budget that Snyder has put them on, that is going to hamstring them as well.

The more realistic option is to try to optimize with the parts you have. I do think that Schweitzer at guard is one of their top 5 linemen. However, he is on IR. The obvious move in the interim is moving Cosmi to guard and letting Lucas play at RT. It leaves you with no decent tackle depth behind them as Charles and Paul totally suck there so you would have to go add an Nsekhe, David Sharpe or someone else who wouldn't totally **** themselves there, which is very hard to do at this point

2 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Not so much given how in flux they are.  The guys they got in FA just aren't good enough and the depth behind them aren't good either.  Add to that, they've lost their starting Center and the backup still isn't healthy either.

I am hopeful that, as Nick Martin gets more time, he can be better. What is very encouraging is that Larsen should be back soon but he will need a couple weeks to get his legs under him. He played well last year after Roullier went down before he went down himself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s not.  I ran this back at home right after it happened because I saw it in real time and thought “Did I really just see that?”, and replay confirmed I did.

That said, it wasn’t as bad as it looks but still really bad.

Omg, we have the dumbest Oline players I've ever seen in the NFL.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dckey said:

What is up with Paul?  Why haven't we tried putting him in?  He did pretty good in preseason 

I think they see him as a developmental guy with high upside but he is not ready yet. His technique was trash at Tulsa along with his mate Tyler Smith of the Cowboys (there is probably a lot of teaching currently going on on that end)

33 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Roullier to undergo knee surgery that could end his season……****.

Wha?

We just restructured his contract. That was already a weird move as he was a player on IR. Now its even weirder considering this.

Maybe Chase feels a little more job security so he feels better about undergoing surgery?

Hopefully he comes back at 100% Bizarre situation tho.

Regarding the photo of the two Commanders OLs blocking each other, it shows how sad the state of OL is.  They plugging in guys they're bringing in off the street who can't even do the basic things.  This all falls back on Ron and the FO not addressing the position with quality depth.

9 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Wha?

We just restructured his contract. That was already a weird move as he was a player on IR. Now its even weirder considering this.

Maybe Chase feels a little more job security so he feels better about undergoing surgery?

Hopefully he comes back at 100% Bizarre situation tho.

I took a look ahead at the draft and this doesn't seem to be a good center class. You probably have to run it back with Chase and give him another year. They need to have a contingency plan however for 2023

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, method man said:

I took a look ahead at the draft and this doesn't seem to be a good center class. You probably have to run it back with Chase and give him another year. They need to have a contingency plan however for 2023

I thought his contract looked a good one to drop in 2023, especially given the injuries these past two seasons. However this move seems to imply he’s likely the perceived starter next season.

Edited by Est.1974

Just now, Est.1974 said:

I thought his contract looked a good one to drop in 2023, especially given the injuries these past two seasons. However this move seems to imply he’s likely the perceived starter next season.

There is a team leader thing there too that helps him. He and Leno are clearly the leaders on the offensive line