Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Year three under Rivera and we still have no identity

Warhead36

On 10/2/2022 at 5:48 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think when he took the job he thought they were going to be a defense-led, tough-nosed, run the football team.  

Then he got into the season and figured out that wasn't actually going to work.  And then changed tactics.

The one thing I will give Ron, he was delt a crap hand at the beginning of his tenure with inheriting Haskins and then having the off-season wiped out by COVID.  That kindof put everything back a year to start with.

Why are you making excuses for Ron? Ron choose this path, never forget that.

Do you remember Ron picking Scott Turner over McConnel? Having Haskins, who showed some promise in this offense , learn another offense.

Do you remember him saying, player development was the goal when he didn’t use his timeouts to try to win? Then n the next breath, bench Haskins and try to win games?

Ron isn’t to be believed, he shouldn’t be leading anything. Guy lies straight to your face, and wants you to believe his BS.

I’m done with him. We need a new voice.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2022 at 5:59 AM, ClaytoAli said:

He is learning on the job in Washington.

I happen to agree with this statement, based on what I'm seeing. I also think Wentz has made it even more challenging for Turner because he's immobile and inaccurate and when he is accurate it often is caught by the other team.

• Like 1

We're a bad combination of uninspired play and poorly designed/executed X's and O's. That's all on leadership. Never mind the fact that, even if this is all on the players, these players were picked by this same leadership team. 

Sadly, it's starting to look more and more like Jay Gruden > Ron Rivera, and I hated Jay Gruden.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Come on fellas, don’t ya know:

“we have to be realistic with what we have” and winning “isn’t going to happen until everything is in place.” 

everything is fine.  Or as one of esteemed moderators said a while back, these guys are the professionals.  Would you tell the plumber how to do his job?

answer:  well yes, yes I would if I was still slogging through **** after 3 ****ing years.

9 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Why are you making excuses for Ron? Ron choose this path, never forget that.

Do you remember Ron picking Scott Turner over McConnel? Having Haskins, who showed some promise in this offense , learn another offense.

Do you remember him saying, player development was the goal when he didn’t use his timeouts to try to win? Then n the next breath, bench Haskins and try to win games?

Ron isn’t to be believed, he shouldn’t be leading anything. Guy lies straight to your face, and wants you to believe his BS.

I’m done with him. We need a new voice.

I dislike Dan as much or more than anyone. I stand by that. However, a lot of the moves have Ron's imprint on them. I don't know, maybe Dan said "you can't go with O'Connell, I don't like him" or "Get rid of Kyle Smith, he smells" or whatever. I have no idea.

All I know is, everyone who we ended up having here: Scott Turner, Marties, all of them have specific associations with Rivera's past. It just became clear that Rivera thinks that he has some crack team. The record speaks for itself. Even if they have some wins later this year, it's another poor start and I don't see them turning it around to make the playoffs. Most of us think they probably end the year with a bottom-feeder record. Bottom-feeder, average, whatever, I just don't think it matters. Rivera has built a team based on favoritism, and we are seeing what happens when merit is so low on your priority list. We are not in the rooms with Rivera, that is true, but at the very least I think signing Scott Turner to a 3-year extension was unearned and asinine. Just like Wentz, no one was calling for Scott Turner.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 5:21 PM, Zim489 said:

Its abundantly clear they never had a plan from beginning. It has been just a year to year get as best as we can. No idea on how to build a franchise. They just get "good" players and plug them in and hope they do well.

Its why I am such a stickler for a GM lead franchise a HC only thinks in one year increments. A true GM in this spot would start shopping some players for some picks when its clear the team isnt going anywhere. Ron isnt trading a sole. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if they traded for Roquan smith using our top 5 pick .

There needs to be a clear and coherent plan set by the FO. 

Honestly, this has been the issue since Dan took over (apart from just Dan taking over in and of itself). The only "plan" was constantly desperate grasping for a couple of extra wins NOW, even with teams that were nowhere near contention, at the expense of any kind of long-term plan. The two decades-plus of suck is exactly what should be expected from this kind of loser mentality. 

• Like 3

On 10/2/2022 at 6:15 PM, SpacePenguin said:

This team has an identity. It's that of a doormat. Think of the Lions, the Browns, the Dolphins. That's what this team is now.

You just don't realize it because YOU'RE IN TOO DEEP. So am I. Who needs an offensive line, anyhow?

The Dolphins and Browns may have turned a corner.  They played like crap vs the Lions and were exposed by them.  This team is bad, but the problem is they don't think they're that bad.  Ownership, front office, and coaching staff all trash.  

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Honestly, this has been the issue since Dan took over (apart from just Dan taking over in and of itself). The only "plan" was constantly desperate grasping for a couple of extra wins NOW, even with teams that were nowhere near contention, at the expense of any kind of long-term plan. The two decades-plus of suck is exactly what should be expected from this kind of loser mentality. 

This has been my main complaint for a decade 

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

They have an identity, the same one they've had for the last 20 years.....mediocrity.  5-8 wins every single season. At this point that is just who they end up being.

Yep, bad but not bad enough to land a top pick for a franchise QB. Or they start out slow and have a hot streak by the end of the year...this team hasn't had a playoff team that was good from Week 1 since 1999.

I wonder what's important about that date...

7 hours ago, SkinsNumberOne said:

I dislike Dan as much or more than anyone. I stand by that. However, a lot of the moves have Ron's imprint on them. I don't know, maybe Dan said "you can't go with O'Connell, I don't like him" or "Get rid of Kyle Smith, he smells" or whatever. I have no idea.

All I know is, everyone who we ended up having here: Scott Turner, Marties, all of them have specific associations with Rivera's past. It just became clear that Rivera thinks that he has some crack team. The record speaks for itself. Even if they have some wins later this year, it's another poor start and I don't see them turning it around to make the playoffs. Most of us think they probably end the year with a bottom-feeder record. Bottom-feeder, average, whatever, I just don't think it matters. Rivera has built a team based on favoritism, and we are seeing what happens when merit is so low on your priority list. We are not in the rooms with Rivera, that is true, but at the very least I think signing Scott Turner to a 3-year extension was unearned and asinine. Just like Wentz, no one was calling for Scott Turner.

Reading the tea leaves, Dan was likely pushing for Ron to retain KOC. If you recall, they had a number of conversations over a couple weeks until they let KOC go. I believe they fired the rest of the offensive coaches fairly quickly. There's also a reason Kyle Smith stuck around for an extra year and got a promotion. 

Instead, we got stuck with bums in Turner and the Marty's.

What I hate about this staff is I can't name a single up and comer type that has the potential to become a coordinator. The offensive side of the ball is filled with veteran position coaches who are failed coordinators in Matsko, Castillo and Zampese. On the defensive side of the ball, Chris Harris was talked about as a DC candidate in 2020 but, given the fact that his guys have sucked the past two years, that talk has died. If you fire Turner or JDR, who replaces them?

All of Ron's talk about things take time and follow the process is bull****. Doug Peterson has turned the Jags around in one off-season. The Bengals went to a Superbowl two years after being one of the worst teams in history. Yes those teams have better quarterbacks, but this is the team Ron built and he has taken no accountability.  

In 2020 we had a chance to upgrade the most important position, but for some reason he saw "promise" with Haskins. In 2021 Ron thought the best solution to be competitive is bringing in Fitz. In 2022 we had our worst draft in years. Yes Dotson is good player but it was not a position of need. Should have taken Devin Lloyd like most fans wanted. Then he didn't take a lineman until the 7th round. This disaster is on Ron, no excuses. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

We need to finally draft a franchise QB and build an identity around that person. 

Yes we do.  But no one who will ever be under Dan's employ will have any idea how to go about doing this.  

As long as that little snot-nosed punk owns the team, we're in...

Go Down Black Hole GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment