Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Year three under Rivera and we still have no identity

Warhead36

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That end of first half overall decision making was just mind boggling on so many levels and just incompetence at its finest. Just talking about it again makes me want to break something.

Rivera got asked it during press conference and went on about taking shots throughout the game...didn't explain not being clear on trying to run a two minute offense or not, running out of time, and ending with a useless interception. 

It's bad as ive ever seen here, it really is.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Rivera got asked it during press conference and went on about taking shots throughout the game...didn't explain not being clear on trying to run a two minute offense or not, running out of time, and ending with a useless interception. 

It's bad as ive ever seen here, it really is.

You know now that I think about it, that whole drive is a microcosm of my post and not having an identity or sound strategy.

If you went aggressive and didn't get it, fine. I can accept that. At least you went down swinging.

If you decided we're just gonna run out the clock, fine. I don't agree with that, but at least you made a sound decision and stuck with it.

But its like they couldn't decide on what to do. They haphazardly tried to both move the ball and kill clock. 

Like I said, just a random mish mash of moves. No real clear strategy because we have no identity.

An aggressive offensive team like say the Packers or Chiefs would push the ball downfield to try to get chunks and get a score before half. A staunch defensive team like say the Steelers or 49ers would run out the clock and regroup in the 2nd half.

This coaching staff and by extension this team doesn't have a clue what they wanna do.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That end of first half overall decision making was just mind boggling on so many levels and just incompetence at its finest. Just talking about it again makes me want to break something.

I can't remember exactly what happened at the end of the first half, apart from going deep on our own 35 with like 17 seconds left which resulted in the Diggs pick. Trying to make something happen, I didn't mind that.

But I think it was in the 4th quarter and I think after Wentz had thrown the pick and there was just under 6 minutes left. We're down 12, they have the ball. Ron, for the love of God, you have to use the two timeouts you have left!  As I said in another thread, many coaches seem to struggle with clock management, but it really doesn't help that he seems to equally suck at it at best.

I didn't hear anything yet about what Ron said at his presser. Let me guess, "we're a young team, growing........"

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

And some how LB has been worse IMO. 

The LB issue is a non-issue if the OL is better and we’re scoring points and the DL plays up to its potential. The problem is the OL isn’t better and the DL (and by this I mean Sweat) is virtually invisible. 

So LB becomes an actual problem. 

We can’t even mask our deficiencies because we have so many.

• Like 4

I thought our identity was Carolina Panthers rejects? Certainly seems that way sometimes....

Ron would rather be comfortable with things he knows well than take risks to improve the team. I'd be fine with Ron as HC if he hired some coordinators that were in touch with today's game, but since he doesn't seem willing to do that he's got to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

What hurts me the most is I called this in the offseason when the Wentz trade ate all our cap space and instead of improving the oline we got rid of folks to stay under the cap.

Kept convincing myself they'd figure it out, truth is you can't and good franchises don't dig that type of hole in the first place so they don't have to figure out how to fix it.

we let go Tw71, moses and scherff and brought in carolina garbage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The LB issue is a non-issue if the OL is better and we’re scoring points and the DL plays up to its potential. The problem is the OL isn’t better and the DL (and by this I mean Sweat) is virtually invisible. 

So LB becomes an actual problem. 

We can’t even mask our deficiencies because we have so many.

It really just points out issues everywhere across the roster. I think it needs an entire tear down. WR is the only thag I would consider ok. Even then it’s still a few smaller numbe 2 WRs. Curtis I would cut after season. Still needs a bonified number 1 X. DL the other “strength” I wouldn’t keep Sweat or Payne.

it needs an entire tear down and rebuild from foundation. The roster is in one of the worst spots in the nfl.  

Not only is he a bad coach but he has  Chosen bad coaches to run the defense on the offense. Hes done here. And for now since the year's a law sent away just play Hyatt riddle once before we have to get loose a 3rd round pick on that guy he is so done never should have been signed for 28 million dollars no less

I'll get all zen and say that the lack of identity *is* the identity.

I just happened to be setting up the TV in our new house today and tuned in for the second quarter. The first time I'd watched this year. It was the same disorganized and confused mess as two years ago. Many of the names have changed, but nothing else has. 

Plays and approaches are chosen seemingly at random on both sides of the ball, and no momentum ever builds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm normally not a 'FIRE THE COACHES" guy. I think too much blame gets placed on them when its generally a players issue, but now I'm officially on the Fire Ron Rivera bandwagon.

I think Rivera probably deserves to be fired and most likely would elsewhere.  But I find it impossible to get on the bandwagon, because then I’m rooting for Dan to get to choose another fall guy for the org.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

It really just points out issues everywhere across the roster. I think it needs an entire tear down. WR is the only thag I would consider ok. Even then it’s still a few smaller numbe 2 WRs. Curtis I would cut after season. Still needs a bonified number 1 X. DL the other “strength” I wouldn’t keep Sweat or Payne.

it needs an entire tear down and rebuild from foundation. The roster is in one of the worst spots in the nfl.  

I’m starting to get behind the idea of tearing it down to the studs.  But cutting Samuel doesn’t really move the needle much.  Trade him?  Maybe.  I’d use the post 6/1 cut on Jackson.

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

I’m starting to get behind the idea of tearing it down to the studs.  But cutting Samuel doesn’t really move the needle much.  Trade him?  Maybe.  I’d use the post 6/1 cut on Jackson.

Samuel isn’t worth much. Costs too much for only one year of control with a lengthy injury history 

2 hours ago, SpacePenguin said:

This team has an identity. It's that of a doormat. Think of the Lions, the Browns, the Dolphins. That's what this team is now.

You just don't realize it because YOU'RE IN TOO DEEP. So am I. Who needs an offensive line, anyhow?

Yep, we are the new Cardinals of the NFCE.

We will get competitive and get to our target 6-7 wins when opponents start looking past us mid season. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

Samuel isn’t worth much. Costs too much for only one year of control with a lengthy injury history 

You only save $5.8M by cutting him, so meh.  He’s way down on the list of things to address in my mind.

I would be interested in what the trade market is for McLaurin and Allen.  Two guys on long, fair  market deals.  Not saying I want to trade them.  I love those guys, but they may be our best assets.  Would someone trade for a tagged Payne?  Would Sweat have a market?  I could see a team looking at his talent and having the confidence that they can get more out of him.

Heard some good news!

Word on the stréets is Ron has decided to roll up his sleeves and get serious with the players.

He plans to have a come to Jesus team meeting first thing tomorrow morning and share  the secret  he figured out after intensive study and detailed analysis of game film:

Ron will tell them to try to play better so that they can start winning games.

Problem solved!

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 1

To me, the failure is very simple. It’s the MASSIVE regression in offensive line play mixed with a statue quarterback. 

the thing is, this is completely Ron’s fault. They went bargain big shopping for replacements for 2 starting guards in Scherff and Flowers. The Carolina boys in Turner and Norwell have been complete duds. Add that to not having a healthy Center and we have our current offense. 

they came out trying the run first identity in the first half which was kind of working but like clockwork, false starts and holdings from

the line ruined several drives. The margin for error is is extremely low. One penalty and thats it for the drive. And if the run isn’t working it’s completely game over because we can’t pass block at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ron seems dumbfounded as to why this team isn’t winning.  He has convinced himself that the schemes and game plans they employ work.  

Ron has had full control for going on 3 years and I think it’s obvious to most that the game has long since past him by.  He is respected as a person but I don’t think many GMs around the league would even consider him as a HC candidate at this point.  

I’m sure his players respect him and it’s why he hasn’t lost the locker room yet but this team lacks energy, creativity, drive, excitement etc etc many things that aren’t solely reliant on having the best talent.   Ron and staff needs to go.   It’s so hard to watch the product he puts out on the field.  

Edited by Idaho fan
  • Like 1