Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Commanders @ Philly (from FedEx Field)

KDawg

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I don't think that matters. The Chargers got blown out by the Jaguars at home. The Cardinals got their asses kicked by the Rams at home. Both of those teams are more talented than ours. 

Sometimes you just get your ass kicked.

I'm not sure what your point is that it happens to anyone.  Dude, this is happening to us pretty much everytime to point its expected for our stadium to be taken over.  That's clearly different.

• Like 2

Offense needs to get it together and provide something. Anything at this point.

Last week they gave up points and had no production at the half. This week we had negative 16 passing yards thru 2 quarters. The O is where our draft pics and money were spent, and they are not playing even remotely close to the better half of football on this team which is saying a lot.

Horrible play calling, bad QB play, poor blocking, poor rushing combined with a receiving core with the case of the dropsies. Today was terrible on every level of O and nobody earns a passing grade.

Turner needs to take this whole O back to the drawing board. Two straight weeks of down right uncompetitive offense.

Scott Turner is an enigma.  At times, even with a lesser talented QB, he’s setting things up and dialing up innovative looks that are an absolute breath of fresh air.  But he just can’t dial it up in a rhythm and seems to get stuck on stupid.  His out right refusal to slow the Eagles pass rush down was criminal today.  He gave Wentz no chance to build any level confidence, which led to him being rattled early and he was never able to shake it off.  

Ron has to take the blame for that first Eagles TD.  That’s a play you simply have to throw the flag in the moment.  I understand Ron’s view isn’t the same as I had at home, but anyone in that booth should have been screaming at him to challenge it.  There’s no excuse not to challenge that play at that juncture and it proved incredibly costly.  

I’ve defended Ron and graded him on a curve, all things considered.  But his teams, his coaches and he himself, have had a really bad two weeks that cannot be defended.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

I have gone on record as saying Scott Turner is not good. Today he was simply awful. His route trees are predictable—Eagles were all over them today; he sucks at gameplanning and making adjustments; he’s just not up to the task. So he used a diamond formation once: give me a ****ing break. There is absolutely no excuse for an offensive coordinator to fail to grasp the strengths and weaknesses of his offensive personnel. On that score, Turner has and always will be clueless. 

But honestly, it just doesn’t matter. This team is a clown show top to bottom. We have a few professionals and scattered talent here and there but the reality is this: this roster is abysmal in key areas and we have the worst coaching staff in the league. I’m as hopeless as I’ve ever been as a fan. Waiting for the other owners to force Snyder to sell. This is just absurd at this point. 

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Scott Turner is an enigma.  At times, even with a lesser talented QB, he’s setting things up and dialing up innovative looks that are an absolute breath of fresh air.  But he just can’t dial it up in a rhythm and seems to get stuck on stupid.  His out right refusal to slow the Eagles pass rush down was criminal today.  He gave Wentz no chance to build any level confidence, which les to him being rattled early and he was never able to shake it off.  

I think I've figured Turner out for the most part.

His strengths are play design and innovation in that respect. Many experts rave about how creative our plays are and that's a credit to Turner.

His weakness though is that he has poor in game "feel." The playcalling doesn't always have a rhythm to it. The plays themselves may not be bad plays, but he can't seem to string them together to create good drives consistently. He also seems slow to adjust, especially if its pass protection struggles. 

He's kind of like an author that can come up with great quotes and lines, but can't actually structure chapters well and as a result his novels can occasionally be entertaining but are often messy.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Turner's apparent inability or refusal to make major adjustments until the second half of games is completely baffling to me. We came out in the 2nd half and pretty much immediately started with short drops, quick hitters, slants, etc. Which is what we should have been doing after a couple series where it was clear that the Eagles DL was going to be punishing our porous OL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Ron has to take the blame for that first Eagles TD.  That’s a play you simply have to throw the flag in the moment.  I understand Ron’s view isn’t the same as I had at home, but anyone in that booth should have been screaming at him to challenge it.  There’s no excuse not to challenge that play at that juncture and it proved incredibly costly.  

Even if he was not sure, he could have called a TO

That was a huge play and no one would have faulted him for wanting to make sure Philly didn't run up and snap it.  He didn't just whiff on the oppo to challenge, he whiffed on the oppo to buy his guys time to look at it and see if they wanna challenge.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Turner's apparent inability or refusal to make major adjustments until the second half of games is completely baffling to me. We came out in the 2nd half and pretty much immediately started with short drops, quick hitters, slants, etc. Which is what we should have been doing after a couple series where it was clear that the Eagles DL was going to be punishing our porous OL.

Honestly I think it was just Philly playing basically prevent in the 2nd half and giving up the underneath stuff, but you're right I'd have at least attempted them more after like the first drive when it was clear we couldn't pass protect.

The constant seven step drops were aggravating.

I miss the days of Joe Gibbs and his staff. If something was not working they would go in another direction right away. Scott may be decent at designing plays but he is terrible at making a simple adjustment. Going into this game he had to know that his line was going to have trouble w/ this front. Plus you have a QB that holds on to the ball. Common sense would tell you that you may want to max protect today. Or at least have a better protection plan. Or have a lot of plays to get the ball out quickly. I just didn't see anything like that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alexa said:

I miss the days of Joe Gibbs and his staff. If something was not working they would go in another direction right away. Scott may be decent at designing plays but he is terrible at making a simple adjustment. Going into this game he had to know that his line was going to have trouble w/ this front. Plus you have a QB that holds on to the ball. Common sense would tell you that you may want to max protect today. Or at least have a better protection plan. Or have a lot of plays to get the ball out quickly. I just didn't see anything like that. 

He's a lot like his dad in that way.

"What we do works."

4 minutes ago, Alexa said:

I feel like that really Rons fault though. If *I can see it, Ron should be able to. And he should be the one to tell Turner, if Turner doesn’t…

*I saw nothing

Scott turner needs to frigging go. It's completely insane that what we ran against the jags has yet to be replicated until the game is out of hand. I'm sick of Ron just standing there. I don't ever see him talking to any players...trying to coach them or anything. Wentz should be hitting quick passes getting the offense into a rhythm. Get the ball out fast. I swear every route is 10-20 yards and takes time to develop. Norwell is trash. I never seen flowers get abused as much as I watch Norwell get walked back. Cosmi should of been replaced by Lucas. D did best they could to hang on and they got absolutely left out to dry. Special teams weren't the bad kind of special as they usually are. Mayo took his frustration out on their punt returner. 

• Like 1

The major problem with the narrative behind claiming Rivera is "building something" here is the fact that there hasn't been any consistency since he took over.  He was hired with the idea that he was professional and would eliminate the chaos and constant up & downs, but I feel like we are stuck in this cycle where there is no ability to build up one unit without seeing another unit break into shambles.   A few seasons ago the O-line was seen as a major strength, starters would go down and the back ups/depth would come in and perform well.  They would bully most D-lines around the NFL, but we lacked the QB and playmakers to really allow the offense to attack.  Now we have a QB and weapons all over the field, yet the O-line is a mess.   When you are building, you have to establish things first, then build upon them in other areas.  

I look at other teams around the NFL, take the Eagles for example, their QB is Jalen Hurts and it's apparent to anyone who has eyes that he still isn't that great a pocket passer, but they went out and built up everything around him.  Somehow they managed to create pretty good O-line, D-line and still find ways to sign all these upgrades in the offseason in the form of playmakers. 

I don't know if it is the coaching, or the front office not knowing how to work contracts properly with the cap, but it just seems like players come here through FA and the draft and just stagnate.  If they are great to begin with (McLaurin) then we truly lucked out because it doesn't seem like much development is ever happening.  Allen & Payne were good from the jump.  Sweat on the other hand hasn't seem to develop or add to his pass rushing ability since his rookie season, he looks like the same player out there. 

What exactly is being "built" if for every positive move there seems to be two to three negative moves that negate any progress?

• Like 1

Games like today, which we have many of and regularly I might add are why there are more opposing fans at the stadium than our own, its why people complain on the first drive of the first preseason game instead of being patient. Many of us can spot ineptitude pretty quick.

It’s not people being “debbie downers” or making up drama as @Koolblue13 tried to suggest. The reality of the situation is, this team sucks and until they consistently show otherwise, nothing will change.

Edited by dyst
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The major problem with the narrative behind claiming Rivera is "building something" here is the fact that there hasn't been any consistency since he took over.  He was hired with the idea that he was professional and would eliminate the chaos and constant up & downs, but I feel like we are stuck in this cycle where there is no ability to build up one unit without seeing another unit break into shambles.   A few seasons ago the O-line was seen as a major strength, starters would go down and the back ups/depth would come in and perform well.  They would bully most D-lines around the NFL, but we lacked the QB and playmakers to really allow the offense to attack.  Now we have a QB and weapons all over the field, yet the O-line is a mess.   When you are building, you have to establish things first, then build upon them in other areas.  

I look at other teams around the NFL, take the Eagles for example, their QB is Jalen Hurts and it's apparent to anyone who has eyes that he still isn't that great a pocket passer, but they went out and built up everything around him.  Somehow they managed to create pretty good O-line, D-line and still find ways to sign all these upgrades in the offseason in the form of playmakers. 

I don't know if it is the coaching, or the front office not knowing how to work contracts properly with the cap, but it just seems like players come here through FA and the draft and just stagnate.  If they are great to begin with (McLaurin) then we truly lucked out because it doesn't seem like much development is ever happening.  Allen & Payne were good from the jump.  Sweat on the other hand hasn't seem to develop or add to his pass rushing ability since his rookie season, he looks like the same player out there. 

What exactly is being "built" if for every positive move there seems to be two to three negative moves that negate any progress?

It's how they're building it is what is the problem.  Heavy emphasis on the offensive sill positions like QB and WR.  Cutting Flowers and Ionidis.  Bringing everyone back on defense and not add any depth outside of Mathis.  Huge issues with the approach to FA, the draft, and adding depth.