Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Commanders @ Philly (from FedEx Field)

KDawg

Wentz was garbage , Ross Tucker said conservatively 4 of those sacks were on him but hey keep blaming the line for the 9 sacks. Thats going to win over a locker room. I can imagine Turner sitting there this morning after watching him miss check down after check down and now his rep  is taking beating along with the line is thinking what has Ron done!

Bench this mentally weak philly reject that after hearing the JimmyG report strategically placed that someone knew would effect him and did, heck Ron said as much in the presser getting so bent over the timing, he melt into a pile of goo and folded like a cheap chair! Just cut the cord already.

Edited by TChaler70
  • Thumb down 2

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

Man that is a bunch of empty words. If that's the way they are doing analyses on their games then good night. 

I just can't stand listening to Ron anymore.  Defensive, curmudgeon-like in his unwillingness to accept real blame and all too eager to assign it, whether it is to a specific player or to a unit or his current favorite "young players".  He's pleading with the media (who are clearly in his head if you listen to his comments) to allow the young guys time go grow and develop, like this is the 3rd game of his tenure.  It's Year 3!!  I cannot remember any coach this deep into his tenure treating things as if it's Year 1.  Pathetic, Ron.

He sounds a lot like Shanahan when he was here except Mike didn't sit there and blame all the young players in Year 3 for how ineffective the coaching was.  It took Ron a LONG time to get around to saying it was on the coaches, too (should have been the first thing he said), and even then he said it like he knew it was an obligatory thing to say.  

I watched that presser and he looked and sounded like a captain of a sinking ship, something we have all seen way too many times over Danny's tenure.  There's zero urgency with this guy.  "We're right where we need to be" is what he said after the game.  Really?   That's pathetic.   He kept saying that the coaches know which players need to play better (damn near all of them) and that they are relaying that message to the players.  Duh.   Got anything else in your bag of coaching tricks, Ron?

I gotta believe that the players are starting to tune these coaches out.  How can you not?  As one reporter pointed out, things that the coaches say need to be fixed are not getting fixed.  Not just this year but in 3 freaking years.  You don't think the players don't notice this, too?

Just another tired, retread coach we all have to suffer through and wait out so that we can get a new failure of a coach in here.  The older I get, the faster a decade goes by.  I'm 47 and honestly believe (aside from Snyder somehow miraculously selling or being voted out) I'll be witnessing the same continuation of the current crap when I'm 57.  It's just maddening being so powerless as a fan.  

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everybody talks Boy Wonder and Kyle for obvious reasons, but Mike McDaniel is gonna be the one to watch. Two games into the season and the youngster has that team looking far better prepared, with far better personnel mgmt and in-game adjustments than Gilligan and the rest of our coaching staff

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Rivera doesn't seem to care much right now. He really makes it feel like he wants to get out of here and get some nice long holidays.

I can't really blame him.

I was thinking that watching today's presser. It seemed like he just didn't GAF.

I think, though, he's like mom who "isn't even mad" and just giving you the silent treatment. He almost went off on some reporters but reined himself in.  He seems super pissed and barely holding it together. I may be misreading it, but if we're playing like this in Week 6 I think he's going to lose his ****.

• Like 1

I mean it’s obvious to me that he can’t stand the media here and that he’s beyond pissed off that we’re not behind him 100%. I don’t think there’s a single reporter that has been unfair with him. If anything they have dealt with him with kid gloves because of who he is as a person 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Watching his presser, I analyze it one of 2 ways. Rons responses in the beginning was very short and curtailed so it could be interpreted as a defeated attitude, almost an I give up mindset. However he must have said “we NEED” a dozen or so times and said “we HAVE” to play better.  He also said he sat in on each meeting. 

If you watch around the 6 minute mark, I actually think he ripped into the players and probably the coaches too. He kept emphasizing how the players were in position but plays were not made. He said he wasn’t calling out any players but thee know what needs to be done. It will be interesting how we come out against Dallas this week. 

I haven’t completely loss faith yet. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Watching his presser, I analyze it one of 2 ways. Rons responses in the beginning was very short and curtailed so it could be interpreted as a defeated attitude, almost an I give up mindset. However he must have said “we NEED” a dozen or so times and said “we HAVE” to play better.  He also said he sat in on each meeting. 

If you watch around the 6 minute mark, I actually think he ripped into the players and probably the coaches too. He kept emphasizing how the players were in position but plays were not made. He said he wasn’t calling out any players but thee know what needs to be done. It will be interesting how we come out against Dallas this week. 

I haven’t completely loss faith yet. 

Yeah I haven't either. We bounced back to go on late season win streaks both of the last two years, so I actually do think the overall locker room culture is fairly solid. I'm not saying we're gonna turn around and go on some kinda deep postseason run, but we're not gonna go 3-14 either. There is enough talent and leadership to scrape together an 8 to 9 win season and play some meaningful games in December.

But we have got to get off to a good start in Dallas. No 3 and out on offense. No giving up 30 yards to an open CD Lamb or getting gashed by Zeke on Pollard on their first carry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I haven't either. We bounced back to go on late season win streaks both of the last two years, so I actually do think the overall locker room culture is fairly solid

The firing of Sam Mills right before the beginning of the season makes me think that the culture isn't as solid as everyone wants you to think it is.

Watching the Giants/Cowboys last night, the main thing that sticks out to me about our defense is that they are slow.  I don't know necessarily if the individual players are slow, read the offense slow, react slow, but as collective unit everything is so slow.  When the either team was throwing a check down pass last night, you see 1-2-3...or more defenders crashing down into the play ASAP to make sure it gets minimal game.  It's not like other defenses don't shade coverage several yards off the line just like we do, but the difference is the defenders manage to creep up on the actual short routes.  When those same check downs are thrown against our defense, it's like the secondary is in a stop-and-wait holding pattern until the catch is made and then they go chase the ball carrier.   Maybe that is what Ron means when he said players are in the positions they are supposed to be but aren't making plays.  I've said before at other times, the schemes we are running Cover 2, Cover 3, etc etc....these aren't unique to JDR, so I don't really buy the "too confusing" narrative, sure maybe for rookies who have never played in the system and are on the field prematurely due to circumstances, but for most of the seconday this isn't brand new stuff they are being asked to run.

32 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Watching the Giants/Cowboys last night, the main thing that sticks out to me about our defense is that they are slow.  I don't know necessarily if the individual players are slow, read the offense slow, react slow, but as collective unit everything is so slow.  When the either team was throwing a check down pass last night, you see 1-2-3...or more defenders crashing down into the play ASAP to make sure it gets minimal game.  It's not like other defenses don't shade coverage several yards off the line just like we do, but the difference is the defenders manage to creep up on the actual short routes.  When those same check downs are thrown against our defense, it's like the secondary is in a stop-and-wait holding pattern until the catch is made and then they go chase the ball carrier.   Maybe that is what Ron means when he said players are in the positions they are supposed to be but aren't making plays.  I've said before at other times, the schemes we are running Cover 2, Cover 3, etc etc....these aren't unique to JDR, so I don't really buy the "too confusing" narrative, sure maybe for rookies who have never played in the system and are on the field prematurely due to circumstances, but for most of the seconday this isn't brand new stuff they are being asked to run.

I don't think our guys are physically slower than anyone else, but they play slow. They think too much instead of just going with the flow and playing. I don't know if its a coaching issue or not.

I’m not sure whether to post this here on in the Gameday thread. Maybe it’s been noted already, but the Eagles final touchdown at the end of the first half shouldn’t have counted. There were 18 seconds on the clock prior to the third down play. From the moment Kelce snapped the ball on that play until he snapped the ball on fourth down, more than 19 seconds should have come off the clock. I timed it at around 19.2 seconds. The tv clock remained frozen at 18 the entire time. Of course that doesn’t mean the clock on the field was behaving similarly, so it’s possible the actual stadium clock that the players look at still showed time when the ball was snapped. But it really shouldn’t have.

2 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

I’m not sure whether to post this here on in the Gameday thread. Maybe it’s been noted already, but the Eagles final touchdown at the end of the first half shouldn’t have counted. There were 18 seconds on the clock prior to the third down play. From the moment Kelce snapped the ball on that play until he snapped the ball on fourth down, more than 19 seconds should have come off the clock. I timed it at around 19.2 seconds. The tv clock remained frozen at 18 the entire time. Of course that doesn’t mean the clock on the field was behaving similarly, so it’s possible the actual stadium clock that the players look at still showed time when the ball was snapped. But it really shouldn’t have.

So really the eagles only won 17-8. See folks, it wasn’t that bad :D 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think our guys are physically slower than anyone else, but they play slow. They think too much instead of just going with the flow and playing. I don't know if its a coaching issue or not.

Yeah I meant to clarify my statement but forgot to edit.  Jamin Davis is an example of someone who is fast, and when he is utilized in a way that focuses on his speed & athleticism (rushing the QB, stopping the run, targeting the ball carrier) you really see him shine, where as when he is asked to go cover in zone he seems like a completely different player.  

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah I meant to clarify my statement but forgot to edit.  Jamin Davis is an example of someone who is fast, and when he is utilized in a way that focuses on his speed & athleticism (rushing the QB, stopping the run, targeting the ball carrier) you really see him shine, where as when he is asked to go cover in zone he seems like a completely different player.  

As much as we seem slow we also seem reactive rather than active and attacking. Detroit and Philly brought the Bronx to us on defense and we had no answers til much later in the game. Why don't we play more press coverage and bring the heat on young QB's like Hurts, Lawrence and this guy Rush in Dallas. Force mistakes with aggression...At least go down swinging rather than chasing all day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's amazing how bad this team is at takeaways.  If the ball bounces on the ground, I expect the other team to get it.  If the CB is in play for the ball I'd expect them to swat it away versus catch it.

They've been slow to figure out a first round draft pick that they gushed about after selecting him.

If that's not a condemnation on both coaching and player analysis, I don't know what is.  

Why are we supposed to have faith in Ron's regime again?   We look WORSE in Year 3 than in Year 1.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Redwards said:

They've been slow to figure out a first round draft pick that they gushed about after selecting him.

If that's not a condemnation on both coaching and player analysis, I don't know what is.  

Why are we supposed to have faith in Ron's regime again?   We look WORSE in Year 3 than in Year 1.  

I got reasons to be down on the coaching staff but not quickly figuring out Jamin isn't one of them.   LBs are often a slow progress spot.  Some kill it from the jump but plenty don't and evolve into good players.

I actually give them props for how they used Jamin.  I am not going to condemn any coaching staff for taking a year as to how to get the best out of a rookie when plenty fail completely as for it being a busted pick or never finding said players niche.

Jamin didn't exactly have a large college resume to tap into.  Raw player with little college experience with freakish traits. 

12 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

As much as we seem slow we also seem reactive rather than active and attacking. Detroit and Philly brought the Bronx to us on defense and we had no answers til much later in the game. Why don't we play more press coverage and bring the heat on young QB's like Hurts, Lawrence and this guy Rush in Dallas. Force mistakes with aggression...At least go down swinging rather than chasing all day.

Forgot in which game maybe Jax but if I recall they pressed at some point, played man, got burned and then switched to heavy zone and did better.  I know that was part of the narrative last season -- they went heavier man, stunk, switched to zone and improved. 

I think the issue is personnel.  Eagles can do it with Slay.  Some on another thread, hit back at me when I touted him this off season -- them saying he's old and declining.  Reality is far from it.  He's still a stud.  He and Bradberry >>>> our corners. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1