Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Commanders @ Philly (from FedEx Field)

KDawg

I feel like the primary reason our fanbase has been so impatient and upset with Jamin is because of how desperate we are at the position.  Some of the complaints read as if he’s going into his fourth season.  Not just fans, but local radio guys, basically writing his epitaph before the season even started.  

I say this as one of the few who liked him in the draft, was happy we got him, and was also pretty disappointed with his performance last year. 

But it’s like damn guys, give the dude atleast this season before considering him a lost cause.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He and Bradberry >>>> our corners. 

Ya think? 😭

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I feel like the primary reason our fanbase has been so impatient and upset with Jamin is because of how desperate we are at the position.  Some of the complaints read as if he’s going into his fourth season.  Not just fans, but local radio guys, basically writing his epitaph before the season even started.  

I say this as one of the few who liked him in the draft, was happy we got him, and was also pretty disappointed with his performance last year. 

But it’s like damn guys, give the dude atleast this season before considering him a lost cause.

Ya think? 😭

Jamin with high intangibles, freak athleticism.    He wasn't my first choice at 19 in that draft.  I wanted JOK.  But I wrote tomes and tomes about Jamin on the draft thread.  I spent a lot of time on him.  I was the only dude here who won the contest (not many participated granted :ols:) set up by TK that draft about guessing who they'd pick -- I guessed Jamin.  So I feel a little vested in Jamin.  I am glad to see him evolve. 

And while I don't love them playing him as inside LB in year 1, I don't think figuring out the best way to use him in season 2 is damning.  It would be damning for me if he was a bust.  But plenty of LBs take time.

I think this group has drafted pretty well.  Not great but IMO a solid good.  I do think them being cheap in FA and with the roster in general is damning and big time so -- yes i know they are up against the cap but the cap keeps rising, the Eagles punted cap money, plenty of other teams did so, too. I strongly suspect that's much more about Dan than Ron for reasons I stated many times.  But no way to know for sure. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Redwards said:

They've been slow to figure out a first round draft pick that they gushed about after selecting him.

If that's not a condemnation on both coaching and player analysis, I don't know what is.  

Why are we supposed to have faith in Ron's regime again?   We look WORSE in Year 3 than in Year 1.  

You may be on to something here. In year one with RR we played VERY conservatively on offense because we had no QB whatsoever. Ron kept games close by not beating ourselves and our d-line wore teams down in the 2nd half. I remember saying to myself, just keep it close til the 2nd half and we'll win. Now, with Wentz, we are trying to open up the playbook with a QB who's either not ready in this offense, too immobile or just plain bad. Maybe this weeks game plan should be to run, run and run more? I know our defense is struggling but some of that has to be with how much they've been on the field. 

Stop putting the game on Wentz and just do the opposite, make him a game manager like Alex was until he shows he can be trusted to be more. Or, just pull the plug on Wentz and play the next guy. 

• Like 1

Just now, method man said:

I wonder why Payne consistently scores so low with PFF

Payne playing as the 1T isnt good. It was why I wasnt high on him in the draft. I think hes a decent 3T. Problem is that JA is worlds better there. 

Just now, kingdaddy said:

You may be on to something here. In year one with RR we played VERY conservatively on offense because we had no QB whatsoever. Ron kept games close by not beating ourselves and our d-line wore teams down in the 2nd half. I remember saying to myself, just keep it close til the 2nd half and we'll win. Now, with Wentz, we are trying to open up the playbook with a QB who's either not ready in this offense, too immobile or just plain bad. Maybe this weeks game plan should be to run, run and run more? I know our defense is struggling but some of that has to be with how much they've been on the field. 

Stop putting the game on Wentz and just do the opposite, make him a game manager like Alex was until he shows he can be trusted to be more. Or, just pull the plug on Wentz and play the next guy. 

This might be fine for "winning games" but when its time to actually beat good teams with good QBs, ya know in the playoffs, this plan doesnt get you anywhere. 

IMO its very easy to become an ok team over time. It takes a ton to become a good team. 

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think this group has drafted pretty well.  Not great but IMO a solid good.  I do think them being cheap in FA and with the roster in general is damning and big time so -- yes i know they are up against the cap but the cap keeps rising, the Eagles punted cap money, plenty of other teams did so, too. I strongly suspect that's much more about Dan than Ron for reasons I stated many times.  But no way to know for sure. 

I agree with you. Sure some of the high draft picks (Sweat, Davis) haven’t made the type of impact on a consistent basis like we expect. However St Juste, Forrest, and Curl are all good picks. I think Mathis, Butler and Holmes will be solid picks in the near future. 

I am befuddled by the lack of signing a linebacker to compete for playing time but also be solid backups. Even now guys like Schobert, Blake Martinez are getting looks while we stand by with Jared Mayo. I like Holcomb but he’s an undersized MLB playing a new position and will never be mistaken for a guy who should never come off the field. He and Davis would be better with a rotation but do you wanna see Mayo out there? Why hasn’t this kid Milo seen the field? He supposedly has tremendous athletic skills and beat out Hudson for a spot on the 53. Hudson played a good amount the last couple years from a reserve role but Milo has seen nothing. Doesn’t make sense to me. 

20 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Payne playing as the 1T isnt good. It was why I wasnt high on him in the draft. I think hes a decent 3T. Problem is that JA is worlds better there. 

This might be fine for "winning games" but when its time to actually beat good teams with good QBs, ya know in the playoffs, this plan doesnt get you anywhere. 

IMO its very easy to become an ok team over time. It takes a ton to become a good team. 

I'm just trying to salvage the season, if it were up to me I'd bench Wentz and play whichever QB can run the team best. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm just trying to salvage the season, if it were up to me I'd bench Wentz and play whichever QB can run the team best. 

What does a salvaged season do though? I think its clear to most people that the current staff doesnt have a model for long term success. Do I think the Commanders can turn this season around? Yes. Do I think they have a model for long term success? No.

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Zim489 said:

What does a salvaged season do though?

Saves jobs. Both players and coaches.

You spend the majority of the year playing like we have been playing and nobody is coming back.

Bottoming out might be best for the Org if we are not currently good enough to get where we want to get to but it sure aint the best thing for current employees.

9 hours ago, Zim489 said:

think its clear to most people that the current staff doesn't have a model for long term success. 

It is not the current staff. Since Dan has bought the team he has been trying to get to the SB every year. Paying players high dollars to come here and play and for us only to see them being a bust for our team. Dan doesn't believe in building for the long term future and success. :(

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 9/26/2022 at 1:39 AM, Peregrine said:

Its unfixable.  It was broken when the team decided to let its good O-linemen go because they were so brilliant they could draft or coach up other guys to replace them.  Their ego broke that, and made it unfixable until next season.

No we knew of two Carolina guys who were available. Nobody's better than Carolina guys

• Haha 2

On 9/28/2022 at 10:34 AM, method man said:

I wonder why Payne consistently scores so low with PFF

And why Montez always scores so high.

I don't trust PFF's defensive metrics at all, especially not for DLs and LBs.  I like ESPN's win rate metrics for offensive and defensive linemen a lot better, and feel like they do better job of reflecting reality.  Payne is tied for fifth in pass rush win rate among IDLs so far this season, and Montez is not in the top ten for Edges, which I think is a reflection of the straightforward reality that Payne has been way better than Montez so far this season.

I wish ESPN would come up with a rubric for measuring stack LBer play, similar to their win rate stats for linemen.  Maybe they already have and I haven't seen it yet, but we need new tools for evaluating performance at that position.