Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Work/Life Balance and Quietly Quitting

PleaseBlitz

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Three, if the employer was treating the employee great, they wouldn't be leaving in the first place. 

My wife shared something she learned from a recent management conference…

number one reason most people leave their jobs… they don’t want to work for their boss anymore. 

if you’re a boss - best thing you can do is treat your employees well. Which includes making sure (through demonstration) that you have their back when something happens. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

The older I get, the more I understand this.

I wouldn't want to happen to me, but I know for fact every job I left that would take me back I'd never go back to anyway.

Do people really give bad references for not giving full two weeks notice, nullifying being able to even put them on your resume?

I don't know never tried out of concern for that being able to work out at least a week or two between end and start dates last couple jobs (I have considered it, in light of having a family and seemingly never having a lot of PTO anymore, not getting paternity leave or being allowed short-term disability for back to back kids will do that, it seems).

The real reason for giving two weeks notice IMO is that even though you might work at a bad company, you might sitll work with some good people and you don't want to screw them over. I left a bad company in March and really liked the team I was on. I worked insane hours in those last couple of weeks because I didn't want my teammates to suffer because of our CEO's gross incompetence.  I'm privately cheering from afar every time I see a linkedin announcement about someone moving onward from that hellscape.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, tshile said:

number one reason most people leave their jobs… they don’t want to work for their boss anymore. 

Yea - People quit managers more than they quit jobs. Unless it's because of a relocation or other life event type of thing. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

The real reason for giving two weeks notice IMO is that even though you might work at a bad company, you might sitll work with some good people and you don't want to screw them over. I left a bad company in March and really liked the team I was on. I worked insane hours in those last couple of weeks because I didn't want my teammates to suffer because of our CEO's gross incompetence.  I'm privately cheering from afar every time I see a linkedin announcement about someone moving onward from that hellscape.

Yea, I can see that, for sure.

When I left my sys admin job, I spent an inordinate amount of time making sure SOPs were accurate or created, to the point I now think about it enough to make them on the fly and edit them to match what I'm actually doing versus working on memory alone and forgetting to add what I changed.

I'm constantly thinking about if I win the lottery, get hit by a bus, or someone deletes my user account and everything tied to it by accident (that happened on an enterprise nessus server once). 

Processes save lives.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

if you’re a boss - best thing you can do is treat your employees well. Which includes making sure (through demonstration) that you have their back when something happens. 

Eh, I dunno about that.  I mean, I think a ****ty boss plays a large part in leaving a company, I know it did for me.  I think a ****ty boss just really amplifies everything else and makes people want to leave faster.  

Here's what I see candidates valuing the most in their current work searches.

1. (tie) Salary and work from home

2.  Benefits 

3.  Work/life balance (and as an aside and an employer, DO NOT say these three words in an interview, because the hiring manager will automatically think you don't want to work hard.  It's fine if you don't want to work hard at a job, just don't broadcast it during your interview)

4.  Company culture/other stuff

5.  The actual job, day to day responsibilities, etc.

Managers/company owners think you should care about:

1.  The actual job/day to day responsibilities

2.  Company culture/company vision/company values

3.  Salary

4.  Benefits

5.  Work/life balance

It shouldn't be surprising, but it's pretty much an inverse of values.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Exactly, which is why employers vs. employees generally meet somewhere in the middle, and employees tend to look elsewhere all of the time if they aren't getting their priorities satisfied at an acceptable level.  I refer to this as "Everyone's a Free Agent."  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

Same here. I couldn’t delay starting new job, and I felt obligated to work my ass off last two weeks to help the people I was leaving behind. Worked very hard for 2 weeks, started new job immediately with no time off. 

It’s ok if that makes me a sucker. I’m ok with that. It’s how my brain works. 

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm constantly thinking about if I win the lottery, get hit by a bus, or someone deletes my user account and everything tied to it by accident (that happened on an enterprise nessus server once). 

Processes save lives.

My new employers were a bit surprised how much I’ve done to make sure I’m easily replaced (not from a competence/ability standpoint but from a documentation and soundness of setup perspective)

it’s just how you’re trained if you’re trained by good people. 

sure, it makes it “easier” for them to fire me, but I’m not worried about that. It’s the right thing to do - for any number of reasons. But the most important being that they are paying me to protect their stuff - it’s their stuff, not mine. And doing it properly means making sure that if I’m gone - for whatever reason - they don’t have to start over

which is what they (I) had to do when I came aboard because their previous 6 MSPs were incompetent nitwits 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

I should add (as some alteady know) that I come from a different perspective than most. I've got 23 years of puublic sector work experience so the bonuses that people work for are totally foreign to me. I also likely will never see a 6 digit salary but I'm OK with that since I have a defined pension at 55 (if I want) of 59% of my high 3 salary or 91% of it at 63. I won't have to live off of the market whims of a 401k (even though I have one too). And my health care costs will be forever capped. 

Promotions in the public sector here generally start out as merit based (via tests) and then become very political and/or only go to the kiss ass people. From my somewhat jaded perspective it means that some of the upper management are also some of the worst people you can choose to be upper management. Mainly due to them never questioning the way things are done, thus no or very slow improvements ever happen to state systems of doing business. 

That said I am very thankful for the job security that generally comes with public sector service.  I know I won't be laid off when the market goes to **** and at worse, a 10to 15% reduction in pay might happen if furloughs come back (with an almost $100 billion state surplus, I don't see that happening again soon). 

• Like 3

Work life balance is hard to define I guess because its your life. Basically the balance is what you make of it. 

Me personally....right now im in a really comfortable spot. They appreciate how hard I work here (no quite quitting or whatever), they reward me for it, and they see me as future leadership in the organization to the point we are talking about numbers to make me leadership. And they pay me more than double my last spot did for way less work. All that is great. The only problem here is that im so ****ing comfortable. I feel like im loosing my edge. 

I realize now that hating my employment was what drove me to be better and to want more. I'm a natural hard worker....im going to do what the job requires and much more regardless of how much I get paid. But continuing education was always because I had to 'get out of here' or '**** this **** ill be her boss soon'. So now that I'm more balanced....its harder to pull motivation out of nothing. I only type that cause I wonder if any of you struggle with it and if so what you are doing about it. 

@tshile we had very different experiences working private sector. Man they did me wrong. It motivated me. But damn. They used me like a ****ing tool from the jump. I didn't notice what they did to me until they had me in their box and I had to take a pay cut to move forward. They took advantage of the fact that I would work hard by giving me multiple jobs, paying me for one and then paying me so much that I wouldn't be able to find something comparable with my limited experience. I guess I can blame myself for that as much as them. But they knew exactly what they were doing. And they told me as much when I gave them my 3 week notice (I gave it without a job lined up cause I couldn't take it anymore). Beyond all that they treated me (and my wife, who I meet there) like absolute dog ****. Like I was the scum of the ****ing earth. And I worked harder than any of them. I never understood it. I will never ever forget some of the stuff these people said to me. I wont bore you with the details but ill leave you with a quote "The money I make for this company pays for people like you to be here, so when I say do something you better ****ing do it next time". That was the day I put in my notice lol. 

On topic -- people who do the least they can to get by are easy targets for a guy like me. My education officially means nothing (ITT-TECH). I'm not any more intelligent than the next guy. Not super talented whatever that would mean. I am literally nothing more than a hard worker and I emulate what makes other people successful if I can. That's it. So the people who look the other way when there needs to be a volunteer, I literally owe you my career at this point. I know its not for everyone and I dont judge because thats how the last spot took advantage of me. Its complicated, I guess. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Managers/company owners think you should care about:

1.  The actual job/day to day responsibilities

2.  Company culture/company vision/company values

3.  Salary

4.  Benefits

5.  Work/life balance

interesting things I’ve read about big tech hiring and review processes (google, apple, Netflix, etc);

- if you choose 5 on the 1-5 scale, you’re flagged as potentially being arrogant. It’s not weighed in a vacuum but the preference is people who pick a 3 or 4. Studies show people who pick 3 or 4 tend to undervalue their ability while people who pick 5 tend to overvalue. And it makes sense. It’s rare someone is an absolute expert on a topic such that they can be a 5 - it means you’re leading expert and don’t really have anything to learn…

- when listing priorities they tend to prefer people to list family and friends/livelihood as #1 and #2. They tend to prefer the values that means and the honesty it likely implies. They tend to be concerned about people who put their job #1 and what it means about them, including that they may just be lying…

4 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Some of y’all are clownshoes and it wears us out a little bit, sometimes

someone’s gotta keep you on your toes 

;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Llevron said:

@tshile we had very different experiences working private sector. Man they did me wrong

That’s how our sector is. 

part of the reason I stayed where I was for so long is because I’m aware of the high % of jobs in our field that suck. For the reasons you listed any more. 

And the reason I left is because a former neighbor of mine called me up, took me out to lunch with the senior partners, and I knew I was going to a good place (even if it isn’t exactly what I wanted to do - wanted to go into SRE, and now I’m an IT Director. Whatever.)

for a long while I was looking at changing careers. Was looking at opening a brewery. Even had a spot in mind. Knew they were gonna go bankrupt - but the investor group I put together went sideways and everyone wanted to turn it into a restaurant that also served the beer I made - and **** that I want nothing to do with a restaurant. They went bankrupt like 8 months later. We were all spot on about that place and opportunity just didn’t have the same vision. 

Let the fact you like where you are, and you know the vast majority of jobs for us ****ING SUCK be your motivator. 

If you’re happy where you are never let go. 

If the worst thing that happens is you keep your happy job forever then hey, not bad. 

more likely eventually a cool opportunity will come along and you can jump on it, knowing you never felt obligated to go out there hunting and take the best available. 

Edited by tshile

I've been at my firm for 9 years (as of last week) and the only time I've ever seriously considered leaving was solely to take a job with my area's relevant government agency for 3 years and come back to my firm with some relevant government experience.  It solely would have been a temporary move to (1) ensure I make partner and (2) maybe throttle down for 3 years while my kids are really young.  I ended up not doing that because it has become apparent that (1) isn't necessary and (2) would have probably driven me crazy. 

Also the government agency wouldn't hire me because I have relevant industry experience and they don't want anyone with practical knowledge of the business getting in the way of their fanaticism. :)

• Haha 2

Re: reasons for quitting jobs...

My most recent switch was for a different reason than any mentioned in here.  My company was treating me fantastic and I was paid well to go along with it.  However they sold out and sold the company to a huge company (CACI) and that pissed me off.  The owner always touted how he would never sell and would always keep the small intimate company feel.  And I wasn't the only one who got pissed.  The turnover over the next 6 months was like 40%.  I don't think they saw this coming at all and thought we'd all eat it up as they tried to put it on us like it was a good thing.  After I left I heard that many of the promises they made were starting to slowly change, completely expected on my part.

When I jumped ship, I literally stayed on my same project and had the same exact desk I was sitting in before.  However I was now with a smaller company that tried to hire me few years back, making $34k more.  All of the benefits were identical too, since they matched what I had, and my benefits package is pretty unreal compared to most.

EDIT:

I remember when I quit, I had to go to some portal and fill out some form.  Well low and behold, the portal didn't even work and had a bunch of errors.  This is the kinda crap that I simply had no interest in dealing with in a big ass company.  Having to go to a portal to do anything.  I like just being able to send a gchat or email to someone when I need to do anything.  Not have to fill out a god damn form on some broken ass portal.

Edited by purbeast

1 minute ago, purbeast said:

After I left I heard that many of the promises they made were starting to slowly change, completely expected on my part.

Yeah. This is pretty normal. 

being in IT it’s always a concern because that’s a department (like HR, Accounting, or general Admin) that the parent company already has… your company wasn’t purchased cause they had an excellent HR staff, or IT department… so, they’re usually the first to go (after the parent company has a chance to identify the people worth keeping…)

in my professional circles every time someone mentions being bought out, they immediately go on a job search

the bull**** just isn’t even worth wading through to see if you’d be picked to stay on long term. Might as well go get a job while you still have one - gives way more flexibility in what you look at and what salary you demand.

if I was jobless I would have taken around 40% less  in salary because, well, I’d need a job. 

best time to look for a job is when you already have one. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Yeah. This is pretty normal. 

being in IT it’s always a concern because that’s a department (like HR, Accounting, or general Admin) that the parent company already has… your company wasn’t purchased cause they had an excellent HR staff, or IT department… so, they’re usually the first to go (after the parent company has a chance to identify the people worth keeping…)

in my professional circles every time someone mentions being bought out, they immediately go on a job search

the bull**** just isn’t even worth wading through to see if you’d be picked to stay on long term. Might as well go get a job while you still have one - gives way more flexibility in what you look at and what salary you demand.

if I was jobless I would have taken around 40% less  in salary because, well, I’d need a job. 

best time to look for a job is when you already have one. :)

Oh I wasn't concerned about job security in the least - I wasn't going anywhere.  I did know that the raises and benefits wouldn't be the same for sure.

They bought the company for the contracts would be my guess.  They were instantly on these vehicles that were not easy to get onto, and now they are, making money off of them and can fill empty spots with their existing employees, making them more money.

And yeah being in my space for like 10 years now, I've seen handful of smaller companies being bought and heard all of the stories.  The same thing happened to my wife but in a completely different industry

• Like 1

@tshile

Most of your career was government? Right? I think that’s the general sentiment of government workers. Everyone I’ve always known says it or some form of it. 

I was horrible about work/life balance.  Routinely 60-80+ hour weeks, always maxed out on leave, 24/7 availability, nights and weekends, etc.  That's why I don't feel bad ****ing off now in my free tired life.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I remember being asked by a person higher up in our organization which of our managers would be least missed if they left tomorrow.  I surprised him when I said, "Hopefully me."  I then explained if I was doing my job correctly, everyone under me know why we do what we do.  Even if they have to reinvent the how, they know the logic.  Furthermore, I thought I had given them the knowledge to either use existing how's or invent new ones....

Long story short...everyone who worked for me and with me has been promoted and I have had the same job for 15 years.  It's a good thing I have a good job where I am still learning cool things and skills with some great travel opportunities.  The benefits and work life balance have been great too.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'm very good at my job and I always hit my hours, so if I want to (occasionally) say I'm taking a day off or whatever, I can.  Most people take an annual week-long vacation, I do that every other year.  

I like my job a lot, I like my firm and the people a lot, and I make good money.  I tried a 9 to 5 sitting in front of a computer doing bull**** busy work and I couldn't handle it.  

Me too.  I have a vocational diploma in Data Processing (1984), but I can't just sit all day unless that's the plan.  I love what I do.  I get to chat people up all day *one older couple that I've waited on for decades came in for lunch today, then went home and got their dogs Roxie and Gracie to come back through the DT so I could see them...it really helps me more than I can say*.   Every day is a sort of struggle in the biz now, applicants aren't the brightest, and our lunch shifts are run by 5 women all over the age of 40.  We're doing it and we have a sense of pride in it, so no matter how difficult it gets, we keep it rollin'. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

It’s not easy to be a “good boss”.  Some of y’all are clownshoes and it wears us out a little bit, sometimes.

I readily acknowledge there are many outfits with a severe lack of leadership/compassion when and where it’s needed most.

Tough day slingin Mazdas?  

• Haha 3

I am a first line supervisor for a federal agency.  In addition to being a SME in my specialized slice of the pie, I manage about 15 great employees and a budget of $3M.  I wish I knew what that experience translates to in the private sector, I have never looked.  I like a 40 hour work week and have told myself its better to start a side-gig doing something... writing,podcasting rather than work for another company.  

COVID and max telework was great for work-life balance, but the higher-ups are acting like it didn't happen.  My previous supervisor was in the office till 6 pm most days...  it was draining.  Even me... working in the office sucks and is a drain.  Max telework was incredible.

The first thing I told 2 levels up my bosses when we came back was, "my one-way trip is 30 minutes... you just took an hour of my time away by making me come to the office.  Plus whatever overhead showering and dressing adds.  I have seen my family the most in past 2 years.  Our work hasn't suffered."  

I feel my group is way more focussed and productive and part of that is the daily calls we have to talk about our work.  Wow... this is an effective way to run an organization.  Comms are way better in our area due to the drumbeats we had to stay in sync for.  

It is tricky because there is truth that you build closer relationships working in-person with folks and face-to-face.  Career-path and oppurtunities -- it will be hard to capture some of that and relationships cultivated over years pay off.  Especially our moat junior folks.   We have to figure out how to get our newer people talking across our teams... because as a focused leader my team has been locked on since COVID.

I have a once a week in-person meeting for my group.  That's plenty... but I am told to bring them in more.  Happy cows produce more milk... but we do need diversified cows and that needs to happen with intentionality.

7 hours ago, balki1867 said:

The real reason for Two Weeks Notice is that corporations pulled a fast one on us.  If I recall correctly, "At-Will" employment was deemed legal by the courts, because it was an arrangement that went both ways; companies could let you go with no notice, and you could quit with no notice.  But then they fostered this insidious "you must give two weeks notice" culture while maintaining their happy ability to rid themselves of you without notice.

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

3.  Work/life balance (and as an aside and an employer, DO NOT say these three words in an interview, because the hiring manager will automatically think you don't want to work hard.  It's fine if you don't want to work hard at a job, just don't broadcast it during your interview)

Conversely, if a manager will weed me out because I have boundaries, it's probably not a job I want.

The two weeks notice really depends on how you want to leave things behind. When I was a manager at McDonalds and one day an assistant manager got on my nerves so bad I just handed my keys and said adios you all dum dums!

When I left my IT manager's job, though, I gave my two weeks so that I can give them all the passwords and network diagrams and what nots. I really liked some of the people there so I left in good terms.  A year later when the owner came back after his chemo was done he reached out to me and said he would like to hire my company to do IT work for him. He wouldn't sign a yearly contract since he believed in accountability. I told him he would end up paying for my company's service more if he did the hourly thing (he had 6 tool rental stores from Beltsville all the way to Triangle). Travel time cost money too and he was okay with that. So in this case not burning my bridge to my previous employer actually paid off as I ended up doing IT work for them for almost two years (before they sold) and made some nice coins too. :)

Edited by zCommander

12 hours ago, tshile said:

@redskinss

my wife works in a similar situation. She just started her doctorate. 

but, hospital life is rough right now. The stress alone is pretty tough - which I don’t think people fully grasp that on top of the staff and supply shortage, the long hours, and also having the same personal-life-stress everyone else has, they’ve had to deal with an increasingly hostile patient population 

everything from over the top verbal abuse, to very serious threats, to actual physical confrontation, law suites, and harassing phone campaigns to flood the phone systems with all sorts of bull**** (ivermectin for example)… it’s bad. 

additionally traveler roles have increased - the pay is ridiculous and hospitals are relying on them to fill gaps. You only watch some random people show up, do your job alongside you, having never worked for the org but make 120-150% what you make, for so long before you quit and take a traveler role. 

people coming out of school are less inclined to work in a hospital because of it. 

older people who traditionally would hold on because they love their job, they can work convenient hours, and it pays well - are saying to hell with this and retiring 

and existing staff is exhausted. Physically and mentally. 

it’s only going to get worse. And it’s just a matter of time before the general population starts to feel the consequences of how we’ve treated healthcare workers for the last few years. 

When all the COVID foolishness kicked off after Tя☭mp made it a political issue, I predicted this would happen. I was a Respiratory Therapist for almost 20 years. I loved it for a while, but it didn't take too long to realize that being a worker bee in a hospital is a no-win scenario for suckers. You sacrifice your body/health for low to moderate wages so that everyone else up the food chain can get fat and happy. So it's nice to see the shoe on the other foot. Good for them. I hope the worker bees bleed them dry with traveler pay.

I never regretted leaving healthcare for even a millisecond, but after seeing how healthcare workers were treated during the COVID pandemic, I never was happier that I GTFO when I did.

11 hours ago, balki1867 said:

When I worked in Management Consulting I was pretty good friends with a lot of people in my firm's healthcare practice.  One of the dirty little secrets of the healthcare world is that no matter how much hospitals and insurance companies screw doctors in terms of stress, workload, pay, etc., they'll never turn their backs on their patients and they'll deal with it. So whatever new cost savings idea is in style at the time ("Lean Six SIgma", "Zero-Based whatever", etc.), management can use it, find something to cut, make the doctors' and nurses' jobs miserable but ultimately claim victory anyways, because, hey, they made all those cuts, but somehow all the patients are doing fine.

Unfortunately for them, "quiet quitting," hits an ethical nerve they don't want to touch (although there's a reason nobody wants to go into the medical field anymore).  But for the rest of us, you have my blessing to just do your job as its described and go home. 

Some of us were aware of what the management/consultant types were up to and took so-called quiet quitting to another level. When they overloaded us with patients, I'd either "prioritize" away the busywork stuff or when patients really needed something, I'd do the work, but I wouldn't chart it. I'd let the oncoming therapist know so they were aware, but the hospital lost the revenue for those treatments. After our department head, who I hated with the heat of a thousand suns, made one too many snide remarks, I started quietly giving away meds to poor patients so they'd have what they needed and she'd get schtupped. Other times, I'd switch out disposable supplies way too early or do other things to needlessly use up department supplies. She tried everything to get a handle on the losses, especially the inhalers which were expensive, without any luck. I'm pretty sure she never figured out exactly what was going on, but after I left, she probably knew that whatever it was, it was me. Perfect. **** you Jane Bockman.😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Sisko said:

When all the COVID foolishness kicked off after Tя☭mp made it a political issue, I predicted this would happen. I was a Respiratory Therapist for almost 20 years. I loved it for a while, but it didn't take too long to realize that being a worker bee in a hospital is a no-win scenario for suckers. You sacrifice your body/health for low to moderate wages so that everyone else up the food chain can get fat and happy. So it's nice to see the shoe on the other foot. Good for them. I hope the worker bees bleed them dry with traveler pay.

I never regretted leaving healthcare for even a millisecond, but after seeing how healthcare workers were treated during the COVID pandemic, I never was happier that I GTFO when I did.

Some of us were aware of what the management/consultant types were up to and took so-called quiet quitting to another level. When they overloaded us with patients, I'd either "prioritize" away the busywork stuff or when patients really needed something, I'd do the work, but I wouldn't chart it. I'd let the oncoming therapist know so they were aware, but the hospital lost the revenue for those treatments. After our department head, who I hated with the heat of a thousand suns, made one too many snide remarks, I started quietly giving away meds to poor patients so they'd have what they needed and she'd get schtupped. Other times, I'd switch out disposable supplies way too early or do other things to needlessly use up department supplies. She tried everything to get a handle on the losses, especially the inhalers which were expensive, without any luck. I'm pretty sure she never figured out exactly what was going on, but after I left, she probably knew that whatever it was, it was me. Perfect. **** you Jane Bockman.😂

you sound like an awful employee who creates more problems than you think you’re solving 

im also pretty sure this behavior would put your license at stake and put you potentially in legal jeopardy 

the people at hospitals are paid extremely well in this area, by the way. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1